Sink or Swim is a Hunger Games fanfiction on Fanfiction.net written by Jabberjayheart (link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9869684/1/Sink-or-Swim)
. It is set in an alternate universe where Peeta won the 75th Hunger Games and the rebellion never happened
. The author has a blog with pictures of the tributes along with information about them (warning: blog contains spoilers): http://sinkorswimhungergames.blogspot.co.uk
. The story is still currently being written.
Sink or Swim contains examples of:
- Absurdly High-Stakes Game: The basic premise of the Hunger Games
- Action Girl: Most of the female tributes
- Aerith and Bob: There are a variety of names among the tributes. Some of the more normal ones are August, Blair, and Cyril. Then you have names like Camillo, Serpine, and Faele.
- Anyone Can Die: Another basic premise of the Hunger Games.
- Ax-Crazy: Luxe is suggested to be this, and possibly Sable.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Luxe's eyebrows were likened to caterpillars.
- Bittersweet Ending: The games portion has only just started, but if it follows the pattern of all the stories written by the author, the ending will be this.
- The Chessmaster: August and Camillo both seem to be chessmasters, though whether they'll be successful is yet to be seen. Cyril seems to be edging into this territory, too.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Basically every death, but Alyssum Harper's (getting her head bashed multiple times) was pretty awful.
- Deadpan Snarker: Serpine, half of what she says is snark.
- Despair Event Horizon: The bloodbath in the beginning.
- Fan Nickname: Orion is Oreo and Serpine became (unsurprisingly) Serpent.
- Five-Bad Band: The Careers
- The Big Bad: Jezabel, even though this place could end up being taken from her.
- The Dragon: Luxe, though the others sometimes take this role.
- The Evil Genius: Camillo, though he may not be as competent as he thinks he is.
- The Brute: Sable, definitely.
- The Dark Chick: Cera and Alvar shared this role until Alvar was killed.
- Ignored Enamored Underling: North is basically an underling in her alliance, and has an unrequited crush on August. August knows this, but he does not reciprocate the feelings.
- I Work Alone: Blair was adamant about not having any allies. Deacon eventually changed that.
- Mama Bear: Clio is this towards her alliance.
- Man Child: Sable manages to be this in a both creepy and endearing way.
- Naughty Is Good: Or neutral. Bennet and Satchel prove to be up to no good during training, but they really aren't contenders for the title of villain.
- Obviously Evil: While some of the Careers are more sympathetic, Luxe and Jezabel really don't have any of those traits. And by the way they act, how could we see them as heroic or neutral characters? Camillo could be a light example. Sable is a bit of a subversion; while he does like dark, gory things, it's hard to see him in a villainous light.
- Oh Crap: Pretty much all of the dead tributes before they die.
- Only Sane Man: In the Career alliance, Cera is the most normal of the bunch.
- President Evil: Esmeralda Snow, President Snow's granddaughter, seems to be follow in her predecessor's footsteps.
- Properly Paranoid: Faele is terrified of pretty much everything. But she's kind of right to be afraid, pretty much everything is out to kill her and the others.
- The Quiet One: Cyril seems to be pretty quiet, and really only speaks when it's important. But he seems to have something big planned.
- The Scrappy: The readers never took much of a liking to Orion. At all.
- The Starscream: Basically Luxe.