Fan Fic / Second Chances
is a Death Note Fan Fiction
by Spades 44.
The plot revolves around L Lawliet
, the genius detective who was killed midway through the original story. The story itself takes place in the second world, a Mundane Afterlife
that is exactly the same as the one in which he lived before his death. The only major difference between the two worlds is the expulsion of those who committed a significant crime to Hell
Enter L, working with his teammates Naomi Penber
, Raye Penber
, Mail Jeevas
, and Touta Matsuda
, as he solves crime throughout the second world, all while avoiding the use of the very instrument that took his life at the behest of a malicious shinigami
It is a relatively long story at 67 chapters and over 400,000 words, and is rather well-known among the Death Note fandom
It is also now complete, and has a sequel/continuation called Third Time Lucky
, the summary of which would be a Late-Arrival Spoiler
.Needs Wiki Magic Love
- Action Girl: Naomi Penber.
- Ambiguously Evil: Rae at first.
- Rae also sees L as this at first.
- Anyone Can Die: Considering that they're already all dead, this is to be expected. However, many major characters do die over the course of the story.
- Arc Villain: Several.
- Bernard Holland and Teru Mikami, who was trapped in Hell as a Gorgon, serve as the antagonists for several chapters.
- Kiyomi Takada of the faux-Kira arc.
- Character Development: Just about everyone.
- L becomes softer and cares more for his teammates as the story goes on.
- Rae goes from a cruel, malicious shinigami to legitimately caring about L.
- Becomes even more stark after you hit The Reveal and realise that by the end of the Second Chances, Light Yagami has gone from being the ruthless mass murderer who killed L to (apparently) giving up his existence to save L's life.
- Mail, while he still remains a depressed loner after learning that Mello is in Hell, begins to open up to everyone more over the course of the story.
- Cliffhanger: All the time.
- Interspecies Romance: L and Rae. Well, sort of.
- Loves My Alter Ego: L is terrified at the thought of coming across Light again, and has fallen in love with Rae. As of Third Time Lucky, he still has no idea they are really one and the same.
- Slash Fic: It must be noted that this does not take up the entire story, and there is very little explicit so far.
- The Reveal: While there was enough Foreshadowing to make it an I Knew It for a many reviewers, it's only right near the end that it is confirmed that Rae was Light Yagami in Hell all along.