Fan Fic: Propagation
"The cycle must continue."A Worm fanfic by CnJLC. Hosted on the Spacebattles forums, also the author of Gather.
Warning: spoilers for Worm from here on out.
Ten years prior to canon, the entity Eden crash landed on the Earths, rending space, time, the very fabric of reality, and drawing the attention of two people: a young girl who would one day be called Contessa, and a woman who would call herself Doctor Mother.Guessing her nature and her intent, these two humans then attempted to kill Eden.This is the story you already know.What is different is the outcome. If Eden had been even slightly better prepared, Propagation is what might have transpired.Eden, sensing her impending doom, and realizing there is no avoiding the knife, made a final effort to preserve the cycle. She bound a core comprised of her strongest, most essential shards and cast it years into the future, binding it to one of the more powerful shards sent out by her counterpart. This shard, this Administrator, would ensure that the core remained intact and that it would grow.It would become another.The cycle would continue.Ten years later, Taylor Hebert triggered in the locker, and everything changed.
This series provides examples of:
- All Your Powers Combined: Taylor has been given an assortment of powers drawn from prominent canon!Cauldron capes- capes that did not happen in this timeline, because the shards that would have been mined for their powers went to Taylor's Core.
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Continuity Nod: Taylor's powerset displayed thus far is entirely composed of powers either displayed by Scion/Zion, used by Eden in her interlude, or used by Cauldron capes. No exceptions.
- Scion's disintegration beam.
- Two abilities functionally similar to Scion's Absolute Stop ability.
- A teleport, stated by Word of God to be based off of Doormaker's power.
- Social-interpreter abilities like the one displayed in Eden's Interlude.
- Emotive-projection, the power that allows everyone to know Scion is sad, in-story.
- The Clairvoyant's perfect clairvoyance and non-directional sight.
- Citrine's Shaker/Trump energy, physics, and parahuman shard tuneing-and-countering ability
- And doubtless many, many more.
- Curbstomp Battle: Taylor mops the floor with 15+ parahumans on the alternate Earth after negotiations break down, including the strongest cape in that world
- Eldritch Abomination: One of these manifests at the school due to Eden's core being part of Taylor's Trigger. It is Taylor's true form.
- For Want of a Nail: The premise- Eden had time to create a new Core, but was not yet able to occupy or use it.
- Mythology Gag: Bakuda is introduced sitting on a cushy recliner. A Lay-Z-Boy. The Author has directly stated that this is a reference to the meme regarding Lung's Lay-Z-Boy.
- The Chessmaster: Blackguard. He even manages to pull off the right persona. Unfortunately, he's up against Taylor Hebert... Taylor Hebert with more potential than Eidolon.
- Physical God: As Eden Reborn, Taylor very much qualifies.
- Orphean Rescue: Blackguard dumps Taylor, the LA Wards, some of the LA Protectorate, a couple supervillains, and about a square mile of LA into another dimension.
- The Virus: Blackguard is this-his power allows him to turn others into a mental clone of himself, to the point that while his original body is long dead, he still lives on as a Hive Mind. He's actually a bit philosophical about this, mourning his dead selves like they were individual people.