Fan Fic: Ponyville Goes to the... Dragons??
Ponyville goes to the... dragons
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
and Spyro the Dragon
crossover by the FimFiction user Freelancer
The story starts one day in Ponyville when Twilight discovers a spell that will allow her to connect to the realm dragons originated from. Hopeful that he might be able to talk to some dragons who aren't
complete and total jerks, Spike is thrilled at the thought and the two quickly set up preparations for the spell.
Things, however, quickly take a sour turn when Applejack barges in while Twilight's casting the spell, knocking her out of her concentration and accidentally causing her to smudge one of the runes. One magical explosion of energy later, she quickly finds herself now housing three unconscious dragons. One purple one, one a violet-ish black, and one bright pink.
Now left with a big problem of having to explain their situation to one of Ponykind's most feared beings, things take a hectic turn as the black dragoness is none too happy about being stranded in a land of candy colored ponies, and though the other two manage to adapt pretty well, a certain purple-maned fashionista isn't exactly ecstatic when one of her biggest fans starts to develop feelings for the new pink dragoness...
One thing's for certain, things aren't going to be quite the same in Equestria for a while now.
This fic contains the following tropes
- Bully Hunter: Due to her upbringing, Cynder absolutely hates people who pick on the weak, and comes to Sweetie Belle's aid when she hears her being picked on Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon by scaring them off. Ends up coming back to bite her in the tail when Rarity uses her threats towards them as an example of the dragons being dangerous to bring the Canterlot royal guards to Ponyville in an attempt to get rid of Ember.
- Casual Danger Dialog: Despite being in the middle of a massive fight against the Canterlot royal guards, Spike and Spyro end up striking up a conversation about each others' powers without much regard to the chaos going on around them.
- Canon Welding: Despite Spyro being based off the The Legend of Spyro canon and Cynder also appearing alongside him, Ember never appeared in the LoS series, being a strictly classic series character. Despite this, the fic treats it as if Ember had been along with Spyro and Cynder during the events of the series. (Which actually is pretty common in LoS fics.)
- Cross Over Ship: Spike and Ember. Needless to say, Twilight wasn't exactly happy about this when she found out, though she warms up a bit more to the idea when Spyro points out that Spike isn't really a baby, and actually rather close to their age. Rarity, however, has a much harder time accepting it...
- Contrived Coincidence: A minor one happens earlier on in the fic. When Twilight is trying to make the three dragons feel more at ease, she hears one of their stomachs growl and starts to talk about Sugar Cube Corner, and all the treats it has there. This causes them to get hungry and start to drool with a hungry look on their face. Well, guess who everyone's favorite Moe Blob draconiphobic happens to walk in at that exact moment...
- Easing Into the Adventure: Despite the fact the fic is currently fourteen chapters long as of adding this trope, the author has stated that the main plot actually hasn't started yet, and that he prefers to character build and let things develop at a natural pace, instead of jumping in head first.
- Fainting: Happens to Diamond Tiara when she answers the door to the school and Cynder's there. After her past experience with her and never really feeling fear of retribution before, she passes out the second Cynder snarls at her. Noticeably, Cheerilee is the only one in the class who worries about her when it happened.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Rarity, when she finds out Spike is no longer interested in her having developed a relationship with Ember. She explodes when she finds out about it, to the point she has to be held down by Applejack until she calms down. Even after that, she still hates Embers guts for a good portion of the fic, to the point of calling the Canterlot royal guards in an attempt to get rid of her.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: Applejack says something along the lines like this to Rarity, when she has to hold her down due to her flipping out over Spike starting to date Ember, saying that she knew Spike liked her yet didn't do anything about when she had the chance, and it would be unfair to try and break them up because she can't have him now. She also tells her if she dares lay a hoof on Ember, she'll prefer being sent to the moon compared to what she'll do to her... Of course, Applejack never said anything about the Canterlot royal guards laying a hoof on her though...
- Love Triangle: One ends up developing between Spike, Ember, and Rarity, though Ember is completely unaware of it, and Spike only slightly notices that Rarity is somewhat hostile towards Ember. Basically, Ember ends up blurting out that she thinks Spike is cute without thinking. After talking about it, Spike wonders if it's better idea to start a relationship with instead of the mare he's been drooling over all this time. Admitting that he does really like Ember and that his advances towards Rarity haven't gone any further beyond her treating him like a little brother, he decides it best to go with Ember. However, the main reason Rarity treated him like that was because she honestly he was a baby and it was nothing more than a child-ish crush. When she hears AJ explain what Spyro said about Spike being relatively close to their age and how he started a relationship with Ember, she doesn't exactly take it too well...
- Moment Killer: When Spike and Ember return to Twilight's house after deciding to start a relationship, they start talking about how each of their worlds show affection differently. When Ember asks how his word does so, Spike responds by kissing her. Unfortunately, all groups involved in the current situation return at that exact moment. Needless to say, Twilight wasn't happy to see her baby brother/son figure kissing a female dragon...
- Morality Pet: Pretty much everyone is shocked when they find the Cutie Mark Crusaders slowly becoming this for Cynder.
- My Little Brother/Son Figure Is Off Limits: How Twi initially feels about Spike and Ember's relationship. She warms up to it though once Spyro points out that Spike actually isn't a baby dragon, and actually finds the idea of being able to study a dragon relationship interesting. (Rarity has a MUCH harder time accepting it though...)
- Obvious Crossover Method: Like most FiM cross-over fics, this one starts with Twilight screwing up a spell and teleporting the cross-over characters to her world. In a twist though, the spell was being performed correctly, but what happened was that Applejack ended up startling Twilight just as she was in the middle of casting the spell, causing her to jump and smudge one of the runes used in the spell. (A fact that AJ feels really guilty about.)
- Pet the Dog: Cynder does this several times to the Cutie Mark Crusaders. From saving to Sweetie from Diamond Tiara to letting Apple Bloom ride on her back when she was tired. Even she is surprised by how well she treats them.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: An... odd example. Though Spike's physical appearance doesn't change in the slightest to how he is in Canon, Spyro points out that Spike actually isn't a baby dragon, but actually only a bit younger than him, Cynder, and Ember.
- Poor Communication Kills: Fluttershy ends up walking into Twilight's home just as Twilight is telling the dragons about Sugar Cube Corner, making them hungry and start to drool. Naturally, being terrified of dragons, Fluttershy interprets this the wrong way and assumes that they intend to eat them, and runs out screaming how the dragons were about to eat her friends and sends the town into a panic. Though things eventually calm down, it's not until after Big Mac and Cynder get into a fight (and knocks Twilight's door off the hinges) do things finally calm down.
- Power Creep, Power Seep: Despite the fact that Spyro and Cynder are in the peak of their power in the fic, Shining Armor and the Canterlot royal guards managed to put up quite a fight against them with Shining Armor managing to go toe to toe with Cynder without missing a beat. According to the author, this was because he was tired of how Shining Armor and the royal guards tend to get Worf'd in every fic they appear in.
- There's also Ember and Spike. Though Spike has showed to be able to put up a decent fight if he has to in canon, in this fic he's able to help the other dragons pretty well against the Canterlot royal guards, while Ember was strictly The Chick or a Non Action Girl in the games she appeared in, yet is able to keep up with Spyro and Cynder during the battle without much trouble.
- Relationship Sabotage: Applejack warns Rarity to not attempt this with Spike and Ember's relationship less she have to deal with her. Still doesn't stop her from giving an anonymous 'tip' to the Canterlot Royal Guards about dragons being in Ponyville...
- Running Gag: Twilight's poor tree home/library can't stay in good shape for more than a few seconds. Over the course of the fic, it's been completely wrecked by a spell gone wrong, multiple fights have broken out in that have knocked everything over more than once, had it's front door knocked off it's hinges repeatedly, and completely decimated by Cynder's tornado attack. Needless to say, this gets repeatedly lampshaded over the course of the fic.
- Teach Me How To Fight: Spike asks this of Spyro after the incident with the royal guards. Obviously, Twi wasn't happy about the idea. The only reason she allowed it was because she was too tired from getting no sleep the previous night. Had it not been for that, the narrative stats she 'would have given a list of arguments that would have made Equestria's best lawyer look like a complete joke'.
- There Was a Door: Inverted. Multiple characters do still use Twi's front door during dramatic scenes... They just have a nasty habit of knocking it of it's hinges while doing so.
- Use Your Head: Spyro attempts to teach Spike how to properly do this for when he gets horns. When Twilight sees her surrogate little brother/son slamming his head against a wall though, she isn't exactly ecstatic about it.
- Xenafication: Despite the fact that she still manages to keep her cheeky, carefree attitude, Ember is a lot more competent when it comes to fighting in this fic than in canon where she mostly a Spyro FanGirl NPC (a trait which is also notably toned down a lot thanks to Cynder being in the fic and developing a relationship with Spike) who offers occasional Fetch Quest, able to fend off quite a few Canterlot royal guards without needing much assistance. Should be noted though that most of the fic's readers actually find it rather refreshing change to how Ember's usually a Damsel in Distress or a massive victim of Ron the Death Eater in most of the fics she appears in. (Or both.)