It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Fan Fic: Home with the Fairies
To make a realistic girl-falls-into-M.E. story: Remind the readers that the medieval ages are a very different world than our own, and that we are completely unprepared to be suddenly dropped in them.Home with the Fairies
— author's note, chapter 3 "Where Many Paths and Errands Meet"
), by I. Mushi, is a Deconstruction Fic
that inserts a modern character into The Lord of the Rings
, but is more realistic than other stories about girls falling into Middle-earth
Maddie is a woman from America. She suddenly finds herself alone in a grassland, without knowing that this is Middle-earth. Now she's in "The Medieval Times Show You Can't Leave", and no one speaks English
. The story is serious, with many tropes Played for Drama
, but Maddie eventually makes her own adventure in this land.
The story was not complete.
Home with the Fairies provides examples of:
- Agent Scully: The story dumps Maddie in Middle-earth. Maddie, who has no belief in magic, tries to think of a mundane explanation. A kidnapper drugged her and dumped her, but there are no tire tracks. Maddie is dreaming, but can't wake. She is in a remote part of Canada or America, but no one speaks English. Maddie is not a Flat Earth Atheist; after finding more evidence, she accepts that she is in some fantasy world.
- Attempted Rape: To survive the first chapters, Maddie must accept food from strangers. One of these strangers tries to rape Maddie.
- Bonus Material: The drabbles in the "HwtF Drabble Collection" ship Maddie with different characters, and include "A Study in Frustration: Erynion". Apart from that, I-Mushi has tumblr posts tagged "hwtf".
- Cell Phones Are Useless: When Maddie lands in Middle-earth, she has no cell phone reception. Maddie continues looking for reception, not knowing that she is in Middle-earth (a land with no cell towers). She stops when phone's battery dies forever.
- Chekhov's Skill: In one town, Maddie learns how to ride the horse. Later in the story, Maddie is alone with a horse, and must ride to survive.
- Damsel in Distress: Maddie is in a group of travelers when bandits attack them. They kill some Red Shirts and kidnap Maddie and the others. Some of the prisoners later die. Maddie is lucky to be among the survivors.
- Deconstruction Fic: The author's goal is "a realistic girl-falls-into-M.E. story".
- The Dung Ages: In chapter 3, this is how Maddie perceives the town of Bree. It looks medieval, and it stinks, with "open sewers down the sides of the street" and "the retched filth lying in the gutters and alleys". It disgusts her, but the locals seem to ignore it.
- Fainting: Maddie faints when she first sees an elf, one of an Inhumanly Beautiful Race. Before she faints, she feels "a strange preternatural sense of both awe and fear"; the elf "looks so perfect it was painful". Someone picks up Maddie and moves her to a bed, where she stays asleep until the next day.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: To Maddie, Middle-earth resembles The Middle Ages. Maddie is a modern woman from America who doesn't belong in medieval times.
- Fix Fic: The insertion of Maddie changes the story, in more than one way. The big fix happens in chapter 17.
- From Dress to Dressing: Maddie rips the sleeves of her dress in chapter 5 "Up and Out", to make pads to soak the blood from her own period. In this Deconstruction Fic, ripping her dress was not trivial. "I had to use my teeth and rocks, and got some rug burns on my hands from all the pulling."
- The Homeward Journey: From the beginning of the story, Maddie wants to go home. To find information, Maddie wanders around Middle-earth, rather than settle in one place.
- Language Barrier: In Middle-earth, no one speaks English. Maddie will take months to learn enough Westron to talk to others.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: The magic that dumped Maddie into Middle-earth might also have blocked some memories, because Maddie forgot about The Lord of the Rings. She has seen the movies and read the books. Her memories come back in chapter 11.
- Memento MacGuffin: Maddie's old things become mementos of her home in America. The most important memento is her dead cell phone; it is the one thing that she never shows to anyone else.
- Mundane Luxury: Maddie misses so many things. From chapter 3 "Where Many Paths and Errands Meet",
Could I live in a place like this? Without plumbing (the outhouse was filthy), electricity, microwaveable food, the luxuries I was used to?
- Maddie becomes homesick for 'soda, hamburgers, french fries, ketchup' in chapter 4, and a longer list of foods in chapter 6. Maddie can find one luxury in Middle-earth. In chapter 19, Maddie is happy to have butter.