Fan Fic: Fallen King
The world had become a dangerous place in only a few hours.Fallen King is a oneshot Yu-Gi-Oh! fanfic written by Selena Style.A duel is either a win or a loss. In one world Yugi defeated Pegasus, in another he did not. Joey, Téa, and Tristan's world changes into a place where every choice is regrettable and the Millennium Puzzle is a curse to them all.Set during the final battle of Duelist Kingdom, the story explores what would have happened if Yugi had lost his duel with Pegasus. Without Yugi or the spirit of the Millennium Puzzle to guide them, Joey, Téa, and Tristan must band together and deal with the consequences of what happened, their own actions, and try to survive in a world that will soon be forever changed.The fic can be found here.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- A God Am I: Pegasus acts like this after he wins. He's not too far off.
- Alternate Universe Fic: The story explores what would have happened if Yugi had lost his duel with Pegasus, rather than winning it as he did in canon.
- Artifact of Doom: The Millennium Eye and Ring, but the Millennium Puzzle is the one most touched upon. Being near its pieces lets those in proximity summon monsters, and Pegasus plans to use it to rewrite reality.
- Big Bad: Pegasus.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Yami Bakura is a threat, but not nearly as pressing as Pegasus is. In his internal monologue, Joey thinks that Pegasus is the real monster.
- Bittersweet Ending: Pegasus was stopped from getting the Millennium Puzzle, both Ryou and Yami Bakura are presumed dead, and Joey, Téa, and Tristan have escaped with the soulless Mokuba. However, Joey realizes that they'll never stop being hunted, declares that they cannot be friends, and the trio separate to save the world.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Yami Bakura does this to Téa with the Change of Heart card.
- Darker and Edgier: Not as dark as the manga, but darker than the 4Kids Entertainment dub and possibly the original anime.
- Dead Fic: The fic was intended to be multiple chapters, but ultimately only one was posted. It works well as a oneshot fic, though.
- Dismantled MacGuffin: The Millennium Puzzle.
- Empty Shell: Yugi's grandpa, the Kaiba brothers, and Yugi himself, courtesy of Pegasus.
- The End of the World as We Know It: The Millennium Items can cause this, and Pegasus plans to do this.
- Eureka Moment: Tristan and Joey ramble about The Wizard of Oz and wanting to fly home like Dorothy, and suddenly remember Kaiba's helicopter.
- Evil Versus Evil: Pegasus versus Yami Bakura. He's much more successful than in canon, forcing Bakura to retreat.
- Eviler Than Thou: In-universe, Joey sees Pegasus as more evil than Yami Bakura.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: Played for drama, as Joey suddenly remembers his promise to Serenity and realizes he'll never keep it now.The world, my friends, my family...
Joey's eyes shot open as reality slapped him in the face.
"Serenity," he whispered.
- Fakin' MacGuffin: Joey bluffs Pegasus's guards by throwing a piece of stone off the tower and pretending it's the Puzzle.
- The Fellowship Has Ended: At the end of the story, Joey decides they can't be friends and must stay away from each other to save the world.
- For Want of a Nail: Everything changes when Pegasus wins the duel instead of Yugi.
- The Heart: Téa, but the heroes realize that Yugi was this to them.
- In Their Own Image: Pegasus's ultimate goal is to rewrite the world according to his rules.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: This is Joey's reason for deciding they can't be friends. Someone will always be after the Puzzle, and by staying apart there's a chance someone else can help before the world ends.
- Magical Eye: The Millennium Eye. Its glow is always described as malevolent in nature.
- Master of Illusion: Pegasus becomes this, using an endless hallway to trap the heroes.
- Oh Crap!: Yami Bakura gets this reaction when Pegasus brings out Relinquished.
- The Power of Friendship: Examined and ultimately deconstructed. While their friendship sustains them and helps them to never give up, Joey realizes that the villains can and will use it as a weapon, and ultimately decides he, Tristan, and Téa must stop being friends to save the world.
- Put on a Bus: Yami Yugi, though not without reason. Pegasus lampshades that it was a dumb move to ask him to leave.
- Reality Warper: Pegasus, Yami Bakura, Joey, Téa, and Tristan gain the ability to summon monsters from the Shadow Realm into reality. Pegasus also alters the structure of his castle, locking the heroes into an endless room.
- Rule of Cool: The Duel Monsters being summoned in reality.
- Rule of Symbolism: Seven days to create the world and seven Items that would destroy it.
- Ship Teasing: Between Ryou and Téa, but in a twisted way as he uses it against her and her friends.
- Shoot the Dog: Joey throws Ryou Bakura off the helicopter.
- Took a Level in Badass: Everybody, but especially Joey.
- Undying Loyalty: Joey is constantly asking himself what Yugi would do in situations, and a lot of his actions stem from wanting to honor Yugi's memory.
- Villainous Rescue: Yami Bakura saves the group from Pegasus a few times, but only so he can take the Puzzle.
- Visionary Villain: Pegasus gleefully explains his plan to reshape the world in his image and to his rules.
- War Is Hell: A theme of the story.So this is what it's always going to be like? Someone always after the Puzzle, trying to tear away what little we have of Yugi left.
- We Were Your Team: Yugi kept his friends together. Téa points out at the end that if he were there, he wouldn't have let them split apart.
- Wham Line: Several near the end."I'm protecting my friends," [Joey] replied. Though his voice was steady, his body trembled fiercely. Things had certainly changed. "He's not our friend."
If the Puzzle is a danger to the world, then we're a danger to each other.
- A few pages later there's a bigger one.
"We can't be friends," he spoke out loud, breaking the silence.
- Wham Shot: In text form. Joey throwing Ryou Bakura off the helicopter.
- Worthy Opponent: Yami Bakura considers Pegasus to be one.