Fan Fic: Antecedent
Antecedent is the sequel to Transcend, a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic, found here. Also written by Anonymous Pegasus, Antecedent is placed many years after the events of Transcend.Raindrop is a completely normal Pegasus. She is engaged to the unicorn of her dreams, and has little more planned for her life other than working on the local weather team - That is, until her fiancee begins to come down with a bizzare illness. Raindrop is quick to find out that she is no ordinary Pegasus: Her changeling blood is resurfacing and she has been unintentionally feeding off of her coltfriend's love, making him weaker and weaker.In order to get her life back, and save her fiancee, Raindrop undertakes a quest set down from Celestia herself to find the Elements of Harmony. On this quest, the mare uncovers a plot to drive a wedge between the royal sisters and bring chaos to Equestria. Along the way, Raindrop must face constant threats to her life, and gobs of bickering with the guardspony, known as Sentinel, assigned to protect her.
Antecedent contains examples of:
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: And How! It gets to the point that Raindrop and Sentinel will willingly smack each other around and regularly insult one another. They are both fully aware of what they really mean but they have gotten so used to doing it that way they don't bother changing.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: The bearer of the Element of Laughter of course.
- Emotion Eater: Raindrop accidentally feeding off of her fiancee's love is what starts her whole quest.
- Glad-to-Be-Alive Sex: Raindrop suggests doing this after a few close calls with death.
- Half Pony Hybrid: Raidrops was born from two ponies but her grandmother was Chrysalis, Queen of the Changelings.
- Heroic BSOD: Raindrop goes through one after her coltfriend of a year, the same one that she was undergoing her quest for, makes it very clear that he want's nothing to do with her.
- The Hunter: Sentinel was specifically raised to be able to detect and hunt down changelings. He is assigned to watch after Raindrop by Celestia - he is not happy with it. He only finds out later that she is a hybrid and not a full changeling.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Raindrop.
- Insane Troll Logic: Queen Chitin's plan is seen as this by both Celestia and Chrysalis.
- Join or Die: Chitin, the new changeling queen, gives this option to Raindrop. She refuses.
- Last of her Kind: Raindrop, though only in part.
- Not the truth however as more than just Chrysalis ended up surviving to the present day. They have been behind most everything that happens in the fic.
- Mad Oracle: The Element of Magic is one but can't control it and is only barely sane as a result.
- A Stallion is Always Eager: Subverted with Sentinel.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Queen Chitin intends to use the Elements of Harmony to do this.
- Sleep Cute: Sentinel thinks Raindrop is cute when she sleeps, mainly because she isnt insulting him.
- Tsundere: Raindrop is very much a type A. Another character even outright calls her as such.
- Interestingly enough, the Author didn't know about the word until a reader mentioned it to him.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Again And How! To the point that characters Raindrop and Sentinel run into just tell them to get on with it already.
- Finally resolved as of chapter 30
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Thanks to her changling blood Raindrop can do this. However its much more limited and the first time she tried it, the process nearly killed her.