Fan Fic / A Gun To Love's Head
"Sometimes all it needs is a little push... OR The benefits of withholding ones anger - a rough lesson which Mello learned but never followed."A Gun To Love's Head
is a Death Note Light x L AU
. 5 years after the end of the Kira case, L and Light are getting along perfectly, and a certain someone is worried that he'll never get to succeed L at that rate... Armed with a gun, Mello sets out on an angry rampage to 'fix' the problem, but his effort has an unexpected result...
A Gun To Love's Head provides examples of:
- Asexuality: Both Light and L believed themselves to be until Mello forced the issue.
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Always Someone Better: Mello feels threatened by Light and his closeness to L.
- Axe Crazy: Mello waving his gun around. Kira and L keep these tendencies private so they seem reasonable.
- Bash Brothers: As soon as Mello is distracted L and Light easily take him down.
- Bastard Boyfriend: L remarks that Light was quite merciless with him.
- Bodyguard Crush: L and Light.
- Choke Holds: Light does this when taking down Mello.
- *Click* Hello: Mello does this to L and Light.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Misa becomes one after the end of the Kira case and L publically declared that Higuchi was Kira all along, with the Second Kira, whose identity is "classified," privately executed. Misa becomes a pro-Kira writer that writes books on the fact that that theory does not make sense.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Mello is grounded and forced to go a week without chocolate and Near is forced to socialize.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: Misa is right of course but because she's The Ditz no one pays attention.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Light and L's attempts to explain that its Not What It Looks Like.
- Doesn't Like Guns: Light has had a phobia of guns ever since L had Light's father pretend to shoot him in a mock execution.
- Easily Forgiven: In this 'verse L and Light forgive each other because they didn't want to have to kill their friend. Also in the aftermath of Mello's stunt—Mello is grounded and forced to go a week without chocolate, Near is forced to socialize, and Matt gets away with it as usual.
- Extranormal Institute: Wammy's House
- Fake-Out Make-Out: to placate Mello who is waving a gun around Light kisses L and that serves as a sufficient distraction for the Successors that allows Light and L to get the drop on Mello.
- Faking the Dead: L pretended to have Light executed as Kira and then kept him as his friend and partner.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: L and Light
- Fix Fic: The story is divergent from the Yotsuba arc.
- Friendly Enemy: Light and L at first.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Mello. He's convinced that as long as Light is around he'll never get a shot at being L's successor. (It doesn't even cross his mind that Light doesn't care about being L's successor.)
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Mello
- Hazy Feel Turn: L and Light don't really change that much—they’ve just become allied with each other. They work together, they solve cases together, and sometimes they write in the notebook and kill together.
- Ignored Enemy: L and Light get to bickering and for a moment almost forget that Mello has a gun on them. Later when Light and L are making out Mello, Matt, and Near get to arguing and Light and L use that distraction to disarm Mello.
- Irony: 1) It doesn't even cross Mello's mind that Light doesn't care about being L's successor. 2) Because of Mello's actions Light and L get together.
- Karma Houdini: Misa and Light. L has Misa proved innocent and helps Light fake his death so he can start over with him. Also Mello's punishment for threatening to murder L and Light is that he gets grounded.
- Like an Old Married Couple: Mello notices this about L and Light.
- Man Bites Man: L bites Mello on the arm, making him drop the gun.
- The Masochism Tango: L and Light.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero / Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Light and L weren't together before Mello pulled this stunt. They are now.
- Not That Kind of Partner: L and Light are partners but until Mello forced the issue they were completely platonic.
- Only Sane Man: Matt and Near. Of varying degrees of sanity-Matt tries to stop Mello and Near stays out of it.
- Platonic Life Partners: Light and L until the end.
- Power of Trust: Light and L draw on it to get through their ordeal.
- Preemptive "Shut Up": Mello to Matt after L and Light get together and Matt asks Mello if he wants to talk about it.
- Right Through the Wall: Light and L's room is above Mello's and while Mello is grounded he can hear them going at it through the ceiling.
- Scarpia Ultimatum: Mello demands that L and Light screw each other or he shoots them dead.
- Security Cling: Light and L unconsciously cling to each other when Mello pulls a gun on them.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Despite the fact that Light and L insist that they aren't lovers Mello doesn't believe them.
- Shipper on Deck: Mello becomes convinced that L and Light are screwing each other because if he's right then that means Light is out of the running to be L's successor.
- Slash Fic: Light/L
- Subordinate Excuse: Mello assumes that Light is this, that Light is sleeping with L to become L's successor!
- There Is Only One Bed: When Mello accuses L and Light of sleeping together L insists that they sleep together in the same bed because it's convenient.
- This Cannot Be!: Light panics when Mello is about to shoot him and convinces L that after everything they've been through together they can't let it end like this.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: Mello speaks like this.
- Transparent Closet: Light and L.
- Undying Loyalty: L and Light to each other after all they've been through together.
- The Vamp: Light is willing to seduce L (and L is willing to let himself be seduced) in order to save themselves.
- Villainous Breakdown: Light has a mild one when he's sure that Mello is going to kill him.
- Villains Want Mercy: Light is the first to crack when Mello threatens their lives; mostly because L believes Mello won't really do it and Light (with his healthy aversion to guns) has no such illusions.
- Yaoi Guys: Light and L in the end.
- You Are Grounded: Mello's punishment.
- You Wouldn't Shoot Me: L is sure Mello won't pull the trigger...