I hate this place and its people...
An upcoming web novel Japanese High School Dramedy
. Idiotseencritics, also known as I.S.C. is an upcoming web novel by Red-P
, author of several unpublished works on TV Tropes
. The title 'Idiotseencritics' is a pun on the word 'Idiosyncrasies', which our main heroine has to deal with in her everyday life.
Told in Chizuru Izami's Point of View
, Chizuru and her family resides in the fictitious town of Yamashima where she meet the breathing archetypes that appear in most Japanese anime, manga, light novels and video games and mocks fun of all the aforementioned stereotypes. Being one of the only person to make her life make sense, a cynical Chizuru decides to make most people's lives a living pain with the help of her American friend Ruth "Ruthless" Laraway.
Tropes Found in I.S.C.:
- Adults Are Useless: With the exception of Daisuke Izami, Hitomi Izami and Junko Takemura-Sensei, every other adult in Yamashima are useless and aren't any help with the situation of the teenagers living in the town.
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: Played horribly straight. The student council would be nothing if not for Eiko Katagiri's influences and wealth and the incompetence on most of the teachers in Yamashima High School.
- Big Brother Mentor: Chizuru's cynical older brother Daisuke is one, if not for his neurotic behavior and often venting his frustrations on society and his crappy job.
- Berserk Button: It's wise to avoid saying the number '156' in front of Daisuke. Unless you want to be thrown out of the 22nd storey in the office Daisuke's working at.
- Brainy Brunette: Ruth, so far.
- Brown Eyes: Ruth and Fuyumi. I think this is a requirement for the only sane women in I.S.C..
- Coming of Age Story: Could be interpreted as one since Chizuru sometimes takes her brother's advice on the unfairness of life as she goes through
the crapsack the beautiful youthful life of high school.
- Curtains Match the Window: Ruth has brown eyes and brown hair.
- Deadpan Snarker: Chizuru. Ruth is a more toned down example.
- Deconstructor Fleet: ...and mocks Japan's current state of the anime/manga/light novels/video games industry as a whole.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Fuyumi Yokoi by the bucket. She only wears the full costume whenever she's not in school though.
- Fuyumi looks like an older and a little well-endowed version of Kuroneko from Ore Imo. Just without the Hime Cut and is the normal one compared to the other girls in Eiko's posse.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Haru Agemaki's attempts at peeking on the girls' lingerie always fails miserably. Well, most of the time.
- Girl Posse: Parodied with Eiko's group of friends.
- Ojou: Eiko Katagiri. Like any other stereotypes, the ojou archetype will be deconstructed sooner or later.
- Only Sane Women: Aside from Chizuru and Ruth, Elegant Gothic Lolita Fuyumi is the only sane member in Ojou Eiko's posse.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Averted with Ruth. She has brown hair and eyes instead of the usual blonde hair and blue eyes found in most Americans in Japanese fiction.
- Properly Paranoid: Daisuke Izami. Well, having to deal with his Pointy-Haired Boss every working day for 12 hours, having to work out his scriptwriting job with poor working conditions, not earning enough money for his retirement, surrounded by his incompetent colleagues and not having enough time with his family really do drive a normal working man crazy.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: It's Daria...in Japan with anime character stereotypes!
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: Eiko could really be a big fool without anyone helping her in the middle of the streets without her dear daddy.
- Shrinking Violet: Mizaki tends to be really shy to any strangers she talks to. She grows out of it as the story progresses.
- Spoiled Sweet: Eiko.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Ruth and Chizuru respectively. Also, Chizuru and Mizaki. It depends on who Chizuru is paired with, since she's neither too girly or tomboyish in her taste.
- Yakuza: Jirou Ryuuzaki. Dressed like a delinquent? Check. Carries a wooden sword behind his coat? Check. Scars on his face and walks rowdily? Oh, double check.