Creator: William Atherton
Yes, it's true; this man has no dick.
William Atherton (born July 30, 1947), born William Atherton Knight, is an American film, stage and television actor. He's perhaps best known for his role as Walter Peck in Ghostbusters
, and since then has mostly (but not exclusively) played jerks.
- 1978-1979 Centennial as Jim Lloyd
- 1987, 1989 The Equalizer as Martin 'Alpha' Loeber/Gideon
- 2008-2009 Life as Mickey Rayborn
- 2010 LOST as Principal Donald Reynolds
- 2013 Defiance as Viceroy Berto Mercado
Tropes associated with William Atherton
- Embarrassing Nickname: Has been called "dickless" more times than he can count because of an insult directed at his character in Ghostbusters by Ray Stantz (Dan Akroyd).
- Evil Redhead: By the nature of his career path, he plays mostly bad guys. Though few are really evil. They're mostly Obstructive Bureaucrat types.
- Jerkass: Not in real life, but many of his characters post Ghostbusters. At the time he resented it, but in the Entertainment Weekly interview for Ghostbusters 30th anniversary he says it gave him a great niche that he wound up making a good living off of.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Is usually very nice to fans, and said to be very approachable.
- Never Live It Down: Even three decades after the release of Ghostbusters, he still has times where he's walking down the street and someone will yell, "HEY, DICKLESS!"
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Several roles, most notably his most famous: Walter Peck in Ghostbusters.
- Smug Snake: Many characters.
- Type Casting: After Ghostbusters as Walter Peck he was mostly cast as the arrogant, smug jerkass character.