thatgamecompany is an American Video Game developer, founded on May 15, 2006 by Jenova Chen and Kellee Santiago. Following thier first game, Cloud, the company was contracted by Sony to create three games (flOw, Flower, and Journey) for the PlayStation 3, but has since secured independent funding. Their next project, Sky, is planned for a Winter 2017 release on iOS and Apple TV, with other platforms at a later date.
Examples of tropes found in the company's history:
- Art Game: The entire creative output of the company so far has been primarily driven by the exploration of the emotional potential of video games as a medium. In layman terms, they were and are Doing It for the Art first and foremost, and the fact that Journey was also a massive commercial success is just a coincidence.
- Beautiful Void:
- The McCoy: The point of thatgamecompany is making video games based on emotions unusual to the medium.
- One-Word Title: All games created by thatgamecompany have titles consisting of a single word. Even Sky's working title had been thatnextgame.
- Silence Is Golden: Hardly any dialogue pops up in the games, if any.
- Worth It: TGC went two years over the deadline and the budget and was effectively bankrupt by the time they shipped Journey but a single email made it all worth it.