Creator / Paul Cornell
British writer. He got the chance to become a Promoted Fanboy
when he was asked to write for the Doctor Who New Adventures
. Among his contributions to the Doctor Who Expanded Universe
was Bernice Summerfield
, an Ensemble Darkhorse
who spun off into her own series
. He also wrote Scream of the Shalka
, a (in retrospective) Alternate Continuity
web-based animated series in which (he claims) the Doctor and the Master are totally doin' it. Since Doctor Who
's return, he's written the episodes "Father's Day"
, "Human Nature"
, and "The Family of Blood"
He's also written for comics including Captain Britain and MI13
, the "Black Ring
" story arc in Action Comics
, Saucer Country
and Batman And Robin
, and has written a well-received medical horror pilot for BBC3, Pulse
. In the DC Comics
' New 52
, he kicked off the new Stormwatch
and Demon Knights
Works by Paul Cornell with their own trope pages include:
He and his work are known for these tropes:
- Author Appeal:
- Owls, family ties, anti-racism, Body Horror, The Power of Friendship, homoerotica and cricket.
- The Seventh Doctor is his favorite incarnation of the Doctor, and most of his Doctor Who output is about Seven.
- Deus Angst Machina: His Doctor Who fiction in particular tends to, as he described it, take characters that you care about and put them through hell.
- Evil Twin: Pete Cornell. (In fact, a typo in The DC Comics Encyclopedia that achieved Memetic Mutation status.)
- Promoted Fanboy: From a mild-mannered DW fanfic writer to running one of the biggest Long-Runners in comics, all in the span of two decades. Quite the promotion.
- Word of Gay: Confirmed that all of the Doctor/Master subtext in Scream of the Shalka was very intentional.