Susan Cooper is a British fantasy author, best known for The Dark Is Rising
series. Her other novels include The Boggart
and King of Shadows
Works by Susan Cooper with their own trope page include:
Other works by Susan Cooper provide examples of:
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: It's never made clear exactly what's going on with Richard Burbage/Babbage in King of Shadows, but it's definitely something supernatural.
- Haunted Technology: In The Boggart, the boggart possesses a computer.
- Historical-Domain Character: William Shakespeare, Richard Burbage, and others in King of Shadows.
- Intergenerational Friendship: In King of Shadows, 11-year-old actor Nat is transported back in time to 1599, where he forms a loving friendship with 33-year-old William Shakespeare. Nat's father killed himself and Shakespeare's son died at Nat's age, which is why they are drawn to one another.
- Lover and Beloved: Heavy subtext in the relationship between Shakespeare and the protagonist in King of Shadows.
- Selkies and Wereseals: Her picture book Selkie Girl recounts a traditional selkie legend from Ireland. Seaward features characters who turn out to be selkies.
- Trust Building Blunder: In King of Shadows, a Jerk Ass drops the hero in the falling-backward exercise... and is promptly bawled out by the director and kicked out of the group on the spot.