"Dirk Moeller didn't know if he could fart his way into a major diplomatic incident. But he was ready to find out."
John Scalzi is best known for taping bacon to his cat
, though his science-fiction writing, particularly his Old Man's War
trilogy, comes a close second.
Additionally, he has published three comedic sci-fi novels, Agent To The Stars
, The Androids Dream
, and Redshirts
. Agent to the Stars
is available for free on Scalzi's website
. He also wrote The Shadow War of the Night Dragons, Book One: The Dead City
. It's an April Fools' joke. That was nominated for a Hugo Award.
Scalzi was also a creative consultant for the TV show Stargate Universe
Works by John Scalzi with their own trope pages include:
Other works by John Scalzi provide examples of:
- Aliens Steal Cable - As the main explanation for aliens' choice to make first contact with a film agent in Agent To The Stars.
- Brain Uploading - Brian Javna and Andrea Hayter-Ross in The Android's Dream.
- Continuity Reboot - Scalzi is rebooting the H. Beam Piper "Fuzzy" series, starting with Fuzzy Nation, a re-imagining of Little Fuzzy.
- The Dog Is An Alien: In Agent to the Stars, Joshua eventually takes on the form of a dog in order to come off as more appealing to humans.
- Evil Plan and Gambit Roulette - In The Android's Dream, Narf-win-Getag's plot to take over Nidu and Earth, and Harry Creek's plot to thwart the Nidu both qualify.
- Shrug of God: The gender of Sam in The Android's Dream, and consequently whether their relationship with Archie is straight or gay. Scalzi deliberately used a unisex name and avoided using any gendered pronouns to refer to the character, and says he doesn't know himself.
- This Is My Human - A delightful example in his short story The Other Large Thing.