"Dirk Moeller didn't know if he could fart his way into a major diplomatic incident. But he was ready to find out."John Scalzi is best known for taping bacon to his cat, though his science-fiction writing, particularly his Old Man's War trilogy, comes a close second.Additionally, he has published three comedic sci-fi novels, Agent To The Stars, The Androids Dream, and Redshirts. Agent to the Stars is available for free on Scalzi's website. He also wrote The Shadow War of the Night Dragons, Book One: The Dead City. It's an April Fools' joke. That was nominated for a Hugo Award.Scalzi was also a creative consultant for the TV show Stargate Universe.
— Opening sentence of The Androids Dream
Works by John Scalzi with their own trope pages include:
Other works by John Scalzi provide examples of:
- Brain Uploading - Brian Javna and Andrea Hayter-Ross in The Android's Dream.
- Continuity Reboot - Scalzi is rebooting the H. Beam Piper "Fuzzy" series, starting with Fuzzy Nation, a re-imagining of Little Fuzzy.
- The Dog Is an Alien: In Agent to the Stars, Joshua eventually takes on the form of a dog in order to come off as more appealing to humans.
- Evil Plan and Gambit Roulette - In The Android's Dream, Narf-win-Getag's plot to take over Nidu and Earth, and Harry Creek's plot to thwart the Nidu both qualify.
- Shrug of God: The gender of Sam in The Android's Dream, and consequently whether their relationship with Archie is straight or gay. Scalzi deliberately used a unisex name and avoided using any gendered pronouns to refer to the character, and says he doesn't know himself.
- This Is My Human - A delightful example in his short story The Other Large Thing.