Gwendoline Christie (born 1978) is an English actress known for being 6 feet 3 inches tall, making her one of the tallest actresses in the world, and best known as Brienne in Game of Thrones and Captain Phasma in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. She hails from the South Downs, and started doing gymnastics at school there, but a spinal injury caused her to switch to acting. She was trained by actor-author Simon Callow and graduated from Drama Centre London in 2005.After finishing her studies, Gwendoline settled down in London, and began acting in stage plays, notably as Lucifer in Christopher Marlowe's Doctor Faustus. Like many English actors, she acts in stage plays, movies, and TV shows. She was also the subject of a series of pictures by photographer Polly Borland.Her most prominent role now is in HBO's Game of Thrones as the tall female warrior Brienne of Tarth, which she won in a nearly uncontested audition after showing up in armor. Her portrayal of Brienne gained widespread praise.
- Great Expectations (2005 stage version) as Mrs. Hubble
- Cymbeline as The Queen
- Gilgamesh (2009 stage version) as Ishtar
- Breakfast at Tiffany's (2009 stage version) as Mag Wildwood
- Doctor Faustus (2010 stage version) as Lucifer
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus as Ursula Bond Street
- Game of Thrones as Brienne of Tarth
- Wizards Vs Aliens as Lexi
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 as Commander Lyme
- Star Wars as Captain Phasma
- Contralto of Danger: She has a very deep and husky voice.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Appears to have a real-life version, as demonstrated here.
- One of Us: Just check out her overjoyed expression while drowning in Phasma merchandise.
- Platonic Life Partners: It would seem that she's this with her co-star, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.
- Statuesque Stunner: At 6′3″, she towers over most men and women in the acting industry.
- Type Casting: Her portrayal of Brienne of Tarth has established her as the go-to actress for brawny, credible Action Girls, be it in the Star Wars or the The Hunger Games franchises.