Creator: Chrétien de Troyes
Chrétien de Troyes was a French poet in the late 12th century, most well known for his Arthurian romances
. He introduced the affair between Queen Guinevere and Lancelot
, the quest
for the Holy Grail, and the Fisher King
into the Arthur mythos, and greatly influenced later writers. His epic poems
about Knights of the Table Round were seminal works of the Chivalric Romance
genre, and emulated countless times
by later poets.
His final work, Perceval, the Story of the Grail
, was never finished due to Author Existence Failure
, although several other poets attempted to finish it.
The Arthurian romances of Chrétien de Troyes are:
- Erec and Enide
- Yvain, the Knight of the Lion
- Lancelot, the Knight of the Cart
- Perceval, the Story of the Grail
Tropes in Chrétien's romances:
- Love Triangle: Between Arthur, Guinevere and Lancelot.
- The Quest: Especially in Perceval, which features the Quest for the Holy Grail.
- Your Cheating Heart: Guinevere's extramarital love affair with Lancelot.