Carlo Pedersoli (Naples, 31 October 1929 – Rome, 27 June 2016) was an Italian swimmer, actor and director, better known professionally as "Bud Spencer". He began his acting career in his late 30s, when he found a part in a movie thanks to his swimming skills: there he met another younger actor, Mario Girotti (aka "Terence Hill"), who would eventually become a very good friend of his. Throughout the seventies and eighties he starred in over twenty family-oriented movies, both with Terence Hill and on his own. His most notable recurring characters include Police Commissioner "Piedone" Rizzo (four movies from 1973 until 1980) and the Sheriff (two movies in 1979 and 1980). Later he starred in a few TV series and appeared as a cameo in several 90s movies.A Beat 'em Up video game is being made in homage to Spencer and Hill's most famous collaborations.
- Aces High (1968)
- They Call Me Trinity (1971)
- Trinity Is STILL My Name! (1972)
- Watch Out, We're Mad! (1974)
This actor provides examples of:
- Ace Pilot: After appearing in Più forte, ragazzi!, Spencer became a jet airplane and helicopter pilot.
- Acrofatic: Despite his size, he was quite agile, at least until the mid-70s.
- Anti-Hero: In the movies with Terence Hill, generally his character is lazy, greedy, a little selfish, loves his quiet life and never likes Terence's character getting him in trouble, but willingly or unwillingly (mostly unwilling) it always ends helping others.
- Badass Beard: He grew one specially for the first movie.
- Bash Brothers: With Terence Hill.
- In some movies they are actual siblings.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He is usually softspoken, if a little grumpy, but it's better not to anger him.
- One of his most famous quotes said, paraphrased: "I'm badder than a good guy gone bad"!
- Big Eater: He can devour huge amounts of food and does it in almost every movie. Sometimes it's even part of the plot.
- Friend to All Children: Both on and off camera; he funded several childrens' charities.
- Genius Bruiser: You wouldn't know it from his usual roles, but apart from his helicopter and airplane pilot licences, he obtained a law degree and has several patents to his name.
- Gentle Giant: A really big guy, but also very nice.
- Kung-Shui: Each and every movie includes a brawl, which often implies the destruction of any surrounding facility.
- Furthermore, it's usually a bad idea to attack Bud with a piece of furniture.
- Made of Iron: He seems to be impervious to any kind of physical damage.
- Mighty Glacier: His peak height was listed at 6′4″ and he weighed roughly 300 pounds.
- No-Sell: Try as you might, he will not even flich at your blows.
- Punch! Punch! Punch! Uh Oh...: Inverted. In this case (a stock scene in most movies) a hapless Mook punches Bud Spencer before realizing how futile it is.
- Stout Strength: He was clearly overweight, expecially during the eighties, but still retained his swimmer's powerful muscles.
- Teeth Flying: A common fate for quite a few mooks.
- Those Two Actors: With Terence Hill, they appeared in over 20 films together.