We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Comic Book: The Terror Of Trigon
The Terror of Trigon
is a story arc of the Teen Titans
, during the Wolfman-Perez era.
The Titans had been reunited by Raven, the daughter of the demon Trigon, who sought help against him. The Titans exiled him into another dimension in those early issues. But, as things continued, Raven had to struggle to keep her Power Incontinence
at bay. And one day, all hell broke loose (and we mean it!)
The Titans were worried about Raven, but did not know how to help her. She announced that she would leave the team the following night. Jericho, tried an alternative approach: he possesed Raven's body when she was sleeping. He was transported to Trigon's dimension, who erased the illusion and revealed Jericho's own body, and was ready to give him a fate worse than death for doing that. Raven showed up and, somehow, Jericho returned to the Titan's tower, but not her. And all the sky on the planet became dark.
Lilith visited the Titans to help them. The Titans tried to summon Raven's soul, with the help of Wally West (who had left the super hero thing at the time, as his super-speed was killing him). They failed, but before ending the ceremony they were summoned to Azarath, Raven's home dimension, which had just been destroyed by Trigon. In the meantime, Raven (now turned into a Demon) and Trigon himself showed up at Earth.
By the time the Titans return to Earth, Trigon is already corrupting it. Raven sent the Titans into illusion, where they fought against dark versions of themselves. As each Titan was pushed to the edge and killed their dark halves, they become such. But Lilith took control of the evil Titans, and used them to kill Raven. When it was done, they returned to their normal personalities, and tried a last resistance against Trigon. Azar manifested through Lilith, and instructed Arella on what she had to do with Raven's corpse. They released her soul, now cleansed from Trigon's evil, and reinforced by the souls of the people killed in Azarath. The white giant soul killed Trigon, Raven reappeared for a moment and dissapeared, and everything got back to normal.
The Terror of Trigon contains examples of:
- All According to Plan: Two cases in a row. First, the evil Raven was expecting the Titans to kill their evil selves: by doing so, they became evil themselves, corrupted by Trigon's power. But Lilith was counting with it as well: she was controlling the Titans, and when they were corrupted with Trigon's power they got the power needed to kill Raven.
- And I Must Scream: Jericho experimented several of those. But, being mute, he can't scream, ever.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: The world is dead. There is nobody else but the Titans. There is nothing around but a corrupted wasteland. No cavalry will come to their rescue. Nightwing is a master tactician, but here, there's no strategy possible, rather than just hit Trigon with everything they got.
- Because Destiny Says So: Lilith left the Titans on bad terms the last time, but she showed up to help anyway. She felt that her powers would be needed.
- Chekhov's Gun: Raven's rings, gifted by Azar, turned out to be much more powerful than thought
- Continuity Nod: Crisis on Infinite Earths, published a short time later, included all the important, middle-important and unimportant characters of DC comics, but Raven was completely absent. Have you ever wondered why? This story is why.
- Light Is Good: The white soul of Raven, cleansed from Trigon's corruption, and reinforced by the souls of Azarath. A force of pure good attacking and destroying Trigon, who is pure evil. Then Raven emerges from the light, completely purified, and dissapeared.
- Light Is Not Good: Azarath, after being destroyed, was just an empty void of white light.
- Mordor: And much more disturbing, because some hours before that was New York.
- Planet Eater: Trigon wants to consume all the souls of all the living creatures of the universe, to recreate his own one (which he had just destroyed).
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When the Titans killed their dark versions, they got red eyes, before becimh evil themselves.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Each evil titans gave one to each hero, inside an illusion:
- Nightwing appeared in a lab, and the evil Nightwing pointed him that Batman has just died. And because of him, because he left him, and let him go around with that useless brat Jason Todd. Just look at him, Batman has died, and he can't do anything but cry! Do you want to undo this? Take back the Robin suit! Go back to be twelve years old! Be a sidekick again!
- Starfire saw Tamaran in ruins, as the Citadel has decimated it and took the Tamaraneans as slaves, including her father, mother and brother. All because of her, because she left Tamaran and had fun and romance on Earth while her people suffered! Do you want to undo this? Wear those chains! Be a slave once more!
- Wonder Girl saw her evil self kill Terry Long, breaking his neck. What a shame, such a powerful Amazon, getting married with such a weak man. Do you want to undo this? Ignore your past! Forget the insignificant weak human race! Forget the Amazon, you are not a true Amazon after all! Become an all-powerful bitch!
- Cyborg saw Sarah completely terrified by him, and the kids openly insulting him. He's insulted by Víctor Stone, his evil self who is completely human. Look at you, you are a robotic monster! You don't have the right to walk among normal people! You don't have the right to expect to have a girlfriend! Do you want to undo this? Take out all your robotic implants, and let's see how much of a man is left!
- Changeling saw his evil self killing his fathers, the Doom Patrol, Terra, and everybody else that Logan has ever loved and died. All those deaths were caused by you, so enjoy your bodycount! Here, take a piece of Robotman, he tastes delicious! And let's see who comes next! Dayton? Questor? Jillian? The Titans?
- Wally West saw the evil Kid Flash having sex with Raven. Yes, you two had a lot of Unresolved Sexual Tension, but she will never be yours! You are not enough of a man to enjoy her warm kisses! You are sick, and you never said it to the Titans, because they would laugh at you! Do you want to undo this? No, you don't, you are an undecided wuss. So say goodbye to Raven, as evil Kid Flash takes her away at super speed!
- Sadistic Choice: For all the human race. If you betray Trigon (and "betray" can include even "don't understand what's going on"), prepare for a horrible and gruesome death. If you accept Trigon's rule, without hesitation or doubt, be prepared for what Trigon has in store for you: a horrible and gruesome death.
- Took a Level in Badass: Trigon, from Doomsday's level of power to Galactus' level of power.
- We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties: Th inevitable result when the Red Shirt Reporters thought that filming the speech of Trigon would be an exclusive coverage.