A horror Graphic Novel
published by Image Comics
and written by Scott Snyder and Scott Tuft, and illustrated by Attila Futaki.Severed
tells the story of Jack Garron, a twelve-year old boy in 1916 who leaves his adopted mother in search of his biological father, a wandering fiddler. Jack soon meets another vagrant named Sam and a strange man who offers to help him reach his dad. Little does he know that the man is actually a monster who feeds on children...
The comic is noted for being very disturbing and atmospheric. Recommended for any horror fan looking for a good scare.
- Batman Gambit: Fisher pulled one off. He pretended to be Jack's father writing to him in order to get Jack to come find him
- Body Horror: "Fisher" basically breathes this trope. For one, he wears fake teeth that hide his true, razor sharp fangs. For another, he hangs Jack up on a hook and cuts off his arm to eat it
- Chekhov's Gun: The bear trap that Fisher shows Jack and Sam. Jack uses it to slow Fisher down after the latter reveals his true colors
- Chekhov's Gunman: Jack's adopted mother
- Dead All Along: Jack's father
- Evil Mentor: Fisher to Jack
- Gender Reveal: Sam
- Gene Hunting: Jack learning that he was left on his "mother's" doorstep as a child is what kicks off the plot, as he searches for his biological father.
- Gory Discretion Shot: the panels progressively zoom outward when Fisher murders and devours Sam so the reader never actually sees it happen.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The main antagonist of the story cannibalizes children so he can feed on their dreams
- Really 700 Years Old: Fisher looks like he's in his 50's to 60's, but his dialogue indicates that he is much older than that. And 40 years later, he hasn't aged a day
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Samantha dresses like a boy because life on the road is safer for men.