Dinosaurs Vs Aliens is a graphic novel created by Barry Sonnenfeld (Men in Black) and Grant Morrison (also known for We3).The story focuses on a secret world war battle that was never recorded in the history books. When an alien invasion attacks Earth in the Age of the Dinosaurs, the planet's only saviors are the savage prehistoric beasts which are much more intelligent than humanity has ever imagined.A feature film adaptation is also currently in development
The comic includes the following tropes:
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: The dinosaurs are depicted as sapient, wearing face paint and armor and using tools.
- Anachronism Stew: Scar (the carnivorous dinosaur wearing a Triceratops skull as headgear) and Titan are an Allosaurus and a Brontosaurus respectively, even though the story is supposedly set in the Cretaceous period.
- Awakening the Sleeping Giant: The aliens' first act of hostility towards the dinosaurs became their own undoing.
- "We had awoken dragons. There was no need to translate."
- Dumb Dinos: Inverted. The dinosaurs are sapient.
- Dying Race: The aliens rendered their original homeworld inhospitable and wandered aimlessly in space for a long time. They have lost half of their original population during their great migration. They are no longer able to naturally reproduce and have resort to reproduce artificially, which only results in each generation becoming more sickly and frail.
- Invading Refugees: The aliens invades Earth to claim it as their new home after they had rendered their original home planet uninhabitable."These things gave us the right to stay alive whatever it took, whatever that meant. Our whole culture agreed on that."
- Misplaced Wildlife: Spinosaurus, Giganotosaurus, and Saltasaurus did not live in North America. The author actually knew this, but included them anyway.
- Raptor Attack: The raptors and troodonts have feathers.
- Stock Dinosaurs: Both averted and played straight. While there's well-known dinosaurs like Tyrannosaurus rex and Spinosaurus, lesser-known ones like Saltasaurus and Hadrosaurus appear as well.
- Token Good Teammate: The alien scientist Shel is the only alien who is sympathetic to the dinosaurs and tried to sway her people from exterminating the dinosaurs.
- We Come in Peace — Shoot to Kill: The first alien that shown his species' intentions on Earth is by killing the first dinosaur.