Blue is the warmest colour
(Le Bleu est une couleur chaude
) is a visual novel authored by Julie Maroh and published by Glénat in March 2010 and by Arsenal Pulp Press in 2013 for the English version.
Clémentine, a high school student, struggles to define her sexual identity, between taking a false boyfriend, kissing back a friend on her lips (said friend having kissed her by jest) and having homoerotic dreams fueled by a blue haired girl
she met in the street on the arms of another gal.
The day after she dumps her beard
, her friend Valentin comes out of the closet and brings her to a gay bar, where she meets the blue haired girl (an art student named Emma) and her girlfriend, Sabine. Thus begins a love triangle between the three girls, with Emma eventually dumping Sabine for Clémentine.Sadly, things start to go downhill when Clémentine's parents discover the affair between their daughter and Emma.
This novel was adapted into a film
called Blue Is The Warmest Colour
by Abdellatif Kechiche in 2013.
This comic provide examples of the following tropes:
- The Beard: Clémentine has a boyfriend, who she dumps early on in the story.
- Bury Your Gays: Clémentine dies.
- Butch Lesbian: Emma's girlfriend Sabine.
- Chekhov's Gun: The mother's chronic insomia. She catches Emma walking naked after leaving Clémantine's room...
- Diary: Clémentine's one narrate the story.
- Fag Hag: Subverted as Clémentine, Valentin's friend, is herself lesbian.
- Foregone Conclusion: Clémentine dies.
- Functional Addict: Clémentine, an English teacher, become one when she's dumped by Emma.
- Gay Best Friend: Valentin for Clémantine.
- Gayngst: Clémentine
- Also Emma in her backstory.
- Good Adultery, Bad Adultery
- Good: Emma cheating on Sabine, who's cheating on her.
- I Have No Daughter: Clémentine is disowned by her parents when they find her and Emma nude together.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Clémentine cheats on Emma with a man.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Clémantine and Emma.
- Love at First Sight: Clémantine and Emma in the street a year before they met again.
- Love Triangle: Sabine-Clémentine-Emma.
- Posthumous Character: Clémentine.
- Posthumous Narration: Clémentine, through her Diary.
- Their First Time: after being followed to her home by Clémentine, Emma says her she didn't want to take her to her home because she feared to to be able to refrain to have sex with her before they make love.
- Title Drop: at one point Clémentine comments on the different shades of blue.