The clan to which Rikuo and his True Companions
belong to. Created by Rikuo's grandfather and later led by his father, the Nura clan rules over eastern Japan. There are about ten thousand youkai in the clan's ranks, divided into roughly 70 sub-groups. The group is kind of like a youkai yakuza, getting its funds from land gods who pay for protection (land gods in turn get money from offerings humans leave at their shrines) and members providing various services for both youkai and humans.
open/close all folders
The group of Rikuo's True Companions
who support him as the candidate for the third Head. They form Rikuo's Hyakki Yakō, and support him during battle. Its members wear black jackets with the symbol for "fear" emblazoned on the back, which can only be worn by those Rikuo has acknowledged.The first members of Rikuo's group were his bodyguards.
"Being the master of all spirits doesn't mean piling the corpses of your clan on top of you!"
The protagonist of the manga, Rikuo is a human-youkai hybrid and the grandson of Nurarihyon, the leader of the Nura clan. As such, he is entitled to become the third head of the clan. Since he is a quarter youkai, Rikuo spends the day as a human and turns into a youkai at night. His day and night form have a bit of a Split Personality
going on, as they often have different opinions on many subjects, though it was more apparent in the beginning.
As a Nurarihyon, Rikuo possesses power over the perception of others, allowing him to become functionally invisible or appear where he isn't. Additionally, his mixed lineage allows him to wear the "fear" of his followers, resulting in a Fusion Dance
of sorts. After the Kyoto incident, he decided that it was finally time to take over as the third.
- All the Other Reindeer: Why he didn't want to be the leader of youkai.
- All Your Powers Combined: One of his abilities, which was also used by his father, Rihan.
- Almost Kiss: With Tsurara in the omakes... at his own initiative!
- Badass: Especially during the fight in Kyoto.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Particularly as a human, he is all smiles and sunshine unless you press his Berserk Button.
- Bishōnen: In his night form.
- Berserk Button: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT lay a finger on his attendants or he will cut you up.
- Blood Brothers: With Zen.
- Fusion Dance: Matoi.
- Hammerspace: A dramatic variant; where does he keep that sake bowl?
- Hot-Blooded: He does maintain an air of calmness, but it becomes more apparent the further a fight goes on.
- Identical Grandson: Rikuo looks almost exactly like his grandfather did when he was young.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: At first. But as he realized youkai would still come after his human friends, he realized he needed to be badass and rule the youkai.
- Infinity+1 Sword: Nenekirimaru.
- Maybe Ever After: More like Probably Ever After with Tsurura. There's nothing explicitly stated, but given her obvious infatuation with him and how he would have kissed her had they not been interrupted, not to mention being extremely embarrassed afterwards, it's likely they get together at some point in the future.
- Megane: As a human.
- Glasses Do Nothing: He doesn't really need them. They are just part of his "hardworker human persona".
- Mr. Fanservice: As his youkai self.
- Multicolored Hair: one's brown and black in a style similar to a certain Negi Springfield, while his demon form is white and black.
- Nice Guy
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Played straight earlier on, but is eventually subverted as tougher enemies appeared, beginning notably with Hagoromo's group.
- Older Alter Ego: Played with. While his youkai side looks older than his human side, he is still only twelve years old. This may have something to do with how a youkai is considered to be an adult when they turn thirteen.
- Playing with Fire: One of Rikuo's techniques is to ignite a bowl of sacred sake, and breathe lightly into it, causing fire to go everywhere. As long there are ripples in the bowl the fire will keep burning.
- Perception Filter: His early fear makes him appear to be invisible to all those except the ones strong enough to see through it. When he learns how to better use the power, he adds decoys to trick his opponent with.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Rikuo has excellent eyesight, and wears his glasses to better establish his diligent human persona, not because he needs them.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Quarter-Human Hybrid
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Subverted. Night Rikuo is simply a bit more Hot-Blooded and more mature than Human Rikuo.
- The Tease: In Youkai form. And he enjoys it a lot.
- Took a Level in Badass: After the Gyuuki incident, he finally accepted his destiny to become the third and stopped being a wimp.
- Trickster Archetype
- Voluntary Shapeshifting
Yuki Onna (Tsurara Oikawa)
"I shall protect you forever. I pledged my loyalty to you!"
Tsurara is Rikuo's trusted attendant and bodyguard, one of the first members of his Hyakki Yakō. She's a cheerful and dedicated Youkai who plunges wholeheartedly into any task, whether it's guarding Rikuo or taking care of the main house. As part of her bodyguard duty, she follows him to school as Tsurara Oikawa. After the Kyoto incident she became one of the Nura Clan heads and received her own territory.
"If you want to boast about your strength, do it after you beat me"
One of Rikuo's attendants. A depraved monk wearing a navy blue monk robe, he has superhuman strength that allows him to pulverize youkai with one hit. He is Rikuo's bodyguard as well as the Nura clan assault commander. He was once human, but turned into a youkai after killing many people.He is loud and boisterous, but possesses a kind heart and loves children. When he has to go as a human, he is the leader of a local biker gang. After the Kyoto arc, he became one of the clan's higher ups.
One of Rikuo's attendants. He is the other assault commander of the Nura clan. Was originally a youkai who is the guardian of children and orphans. Was also a former member of the "Hundred-Tales" Clan.
- Accidental Pervert: Always manages to have his hands in the wrong place on the wrong gender at the wrong time, resulting in him almost getting arrested by police (for Natsumi) and getting called an "erotabou" ("hentai monk") by Awashima.
- Berserk Button: It was really unwise to attack children near him when he was made by people to protect children.
- Big Damn Heroes: The list of humans and demons who owe their lives to his last-minute saves is growing.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: How the Hundred Tales overrode his original tale and turned him to their side.
- Defeat Means Friendship: The story of how he joined the Nura Clan is the setup for the Hundred Tales Arc.
- Friend to All Children: Incarnated, he was born of a tale about a monk with infinite arsenal appearing wherever children were threatened and saving them from bad guys.
- Hammerspace/Hyperspace Arsenal: Has an infinite number of weapons at his disposal.
- Heel-Face Turn: After falling hard for Rihan's charms, er... "fear".
- Horned Humanoid: A very handsome model of this trope. Thin and spiral-shaped while he was a General in the Hundred Tales Clan, his horns were filed down into short nubs after joining the Nura Clan and are perpetually hidden under his hat.
- Nice Hat
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Unanimously considered one of the "Top 2 Most Handsome Youkai" in the land according to a poll of female youkai.
- The Lancer
I wouldn't want a boss who kills his own comrades
Kubinashi is a yōkai whose head floats above his shoulders and who has no neck. When he was still human he was a thief, he was very loyal to a oiran named Shiragiku, but after hers and all of his friends's death
related to a yōkai incident he became one himself, bent on revenge against all yōkai and believing that friends were nothing more than hindrances to him.After meeting Rihan
, this changed and with time he returned to being gentle and polite, though he still can be serious and dangerous.
Kejōrō / Kino
''Stop trying to shoulder your burdens alone. We're Nakama
, aren't we?"
Kejōrō is a yōkai who uses her hair to fight, and most frequently handles kitchen duties around the Nura household. The members of the Kiyojūji Paranormal Investigation Squad frequently mistake her to be Rikuo's older sister. She has known Kubinashi since she was a child and both were still humans.
" More than dying I was thinking of what would happen if I could not protect that person."
Jami is a yōkai who was thought to be terrorizing Shinako Suganuma by looming over her bedside each night, but was actuality protecting her from the corrupt priest of the local shrine. He laters exchanges sakazuki with Rikuo and joins his Hyakki.
A childhood friend of Rikuo. He's a poisonous bird youkai and specializes in making medicine.
- Childhood Friends: He and Rikuo.
- Ill Girl: A male version of this trope. His species weaken as they get older and due to this he has a weak body.
- Poisonous Person: Zen's from a poisonous bird youkai species. It's his feathers/wings that carry the poison. Just touching them can be dangerous.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- The Medic: He uses his extensive knowledge of herbs and plants to make medicine. Patches Rikuo, and others, up quite often.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Rikuo.
"Rising to action if your comrades are killed, isn't that the yokai code?!"
He is the current head of the Kantō Great Ape Alliance and son of its late leader Hihi. Though his father had sworn allegiance to the Nura Clan, his own trust in Rikuo is earned over time.
The three oldest children of Karasu Tengu. Kuromaru is the first of the triplets, Tosakamaru the 2nd and Sasami the youngest and only girl.
Nura Clan members
The Supreme Commander of the Nura Clan, he's also Rihan's father and Rikuo's grandfather. As the one from Japanese legends, he likes to sneak into someone's house, drink their tea, eat their food and act as if it is their own house.
Nurarihyon's son and Rikuo's father, Rihan was the Second Supreme Commander of the Nura Clan before his death.
A high-ranked subordinate of the Nura group and one of its board members. He was once a human boy named Umewakamaru. His father died when he was five and he was sent to a temple. After being bullied by his fellow students, he snuck out of the temple and went back home. However, he was tricked by two youkai into entering Mount Nejireme. As a result, he was eaten by the same yōkai which had devoured his mother. Through the power of his hatred and will, he was reborn as a youkai and became the new master of Mount Nejireme. Years later, Nurarihyon defeated him and convinced him to join his Hyakki Yakou. He orchestrated some of the first attempts at Rikuo's life to see if he was capable of leading the Nura Clan. After being discovered and defeated, he tried to commit seppuku, but he was stopped and forgiven by Rikuo.
- All of the Other Reindeer: When he was a kid, his fellow students were jealous of his exceptional aptitude and used to throw stones at him.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Twice. Once when he was defeated by Nurarihyon and the second time when he was defeated by Rikuo.
- I Let You Win: He displayed his true Fear to Rikuo (albeit human at the time) than their first encounter, meaning he was holding back to test his resolve. Despite his intentions to have him killed if he didn't measure up, he was holding back in order to see whether he was worthy or not of being a leader
- Knight of Cerebus: He's the first serious enemy Rikuo has to face and the one who forces him to acknowledge his yokai side and take part in the clan's dangerous business.
- Meaningful Rename: Changed it to Gyuki to reflect his rejection of humanity
- Multicolored Hair: He has a green version of Setsura and Tsurara's hair.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Benign example like Rikuo's Night Form
- Stealth Mentor: To Nura the first time to test her resolve as a yokai, the second to awaken his Matoi technique.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Undying Loyalty: To the Nura Clan. He won't forgive anyone who endangers his beloved Nura Clan, even if that means killing Rikuo and committing seppuku.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Then Humans Are the Real Monsters happened along with a gyuki eating his mother, leading to become an inhuman monster.
- Was Once a Man: Used to be one, but ends up being Ambiguously Human compared to the more traditional Gyuki.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: He became known as Gyuuki after killing the original Gyuuki.
Gozumaru is the "Gyūki Clan's" young head. He is cool and cruel, he considers the main house to be inferior to the Gyūki Clan and is fiercely loyal to Gyūki and is willing to do anything the latter requests. He now resides in the main house along with Gyuuki and Mezu, which doesn't seem to make him very happy.
Mezumaru is the Gyūki Clan's young head's assistant. He wears a horse's skull and has the ability to change his appearance to a girl. When he is serious, he looks quite fierce and cold. He now resides in the main house with Gyuuki and Gozu, though he seems to be more comfortable there than the latter.
who has followed Nurarihyon for 400 years and has become one of the advisers of the Nura Clan. He's married to the beautiful Nuregarasu and is the father of the Sanbagarasu.
Hitotsume Nyūdō is a member of the Nura Clan and the chairman of the One-Eyed Demon Clan. He greatly opposes the idea of Rikuo as the third head. Four hundred years ago, he was part of Nurarihyon's Hyakki Yakkō and as a result of Kokehime's rescue, she became attached to him.
"The reason I follow the Nura Clan is because I am enthralled by the Supreme Commander. Whether you follow the next generation's supreme commander, Rikuo-sama, is up to you of the next generation to decide."
Hihi is a well-respected Nura Clan board member and the head of the Kanto Great Ape Alliance. He is Shoei's father, he is a quiet youkai who is loyal to Nurarihyon. Four hundred years ago, he was part of Nurarihyon's Hyakki Yakō and was among the Nura Clan forces who joined the assault on Ōsaka Castle. He and his clan are suddenly attacked by Muchi and almost entirely wiped out.
Daruma is a board member and the of the Nura Clan and one of Nurarihyon's advisors. He is the leader of the Daruma Alliance. He was part of Nurarihyon's Hyakki Yakō 400 years ago, and fought against Shōkera.
Mitsume Yazura or Sanmoto's Brain
is a member of the Nura Clan and chairman of the Three-Eyed Party. He is opposed to Rikuo becoming the third head and was responsible for giving Maō's Hammer to Tamazuki
. After the battle between the Nura Clan and Tamazuki's forces, Yosuzume returns it to him, calling him "Sanmoto Gorōzaemon"
and it is revealed that his face is actually a skin-like mask.
- The Big Guy: Not as big as Hihi or Shoei, but he is very tall.
- The Mole: The current Mitsume is in fact Sanmoto's brain.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: It's most likely that the real Mitsume is dead, Shiibashi hints in the character databook that the Mitsume Yazura who appeared during the Gagoze incident was the real one.
I'm the wife of a yakuza household, so... I've been wanting to do something like this.
Nurahiyon's daughter-in-law, Rihan's human wife, and Rikuo's mother. She lives in the the Nura home and is friends with the youkai.
Nurarihyon's wife and Rihan's mother. Four hundred years ago, she was a nobleman's daughter from Kyoto. She could heal people with her spiritual powers, circumstance that her father used to make a lot of money. She first met Nurarihyon when the crafty ayakashi entered in her bedroom.
A Yuki-Onna that joined Nurarihyon's Hyakki Yako four hundred years ago and had an unrequited love for him. She's the mother of Tsurara, the current Yuki-Onna.
Rihan's first wife, a beautiful flower ayakashi who was also a teacher at a temple school. Because of a curse put on Nurarihyon by Hagoromo Gitsune, she couldn't give Rihan a heir. She blamed herself and vanished without a trace. She was resurrected as a little girl by Seimei and Sanmoto. They implanted fabricated memories into her, as well as a hypnotic trigger, courtesy of Minagoroshi Jizou, to kill Rihan with Maou's Hammer. After the deed was done, she became the new vessel for Hagoromo Gitsune.
Other Nura Clan members
Branch members and land gods affiliated to the Nura Clan.
Senba is the guardian god of a small shrine located behind Ukiyoe General Hospital, and is based on the senbazuru tradition that is that by offering him one thousand paper cranes and praying, he can cure sickness.He saves Natsumi from Sodemogi-sama's curse thanks to the strength of her grandmother's belief in him.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: He has a soft spot towards Hibari and her grandaughter Natsumi since both of them prayed in his shrine. Especially Hibari who has prayed there since childhood.
- Physical God
- Sleep Mode Size: Since he doesn't have as much believers as he once did.
Kokehime is a Land God, she was once a human princess and she knew Youhime. She resides in a shrine within the Nura Clan's territory and was targeted by Sodemogi-sama during the invasion of Shikoku's forces.
Ryōta Neko is the head of the Bakeneko Clan and leader of 1st street, he requested that Rikuo free the 1st street from the Kyūso Clan. The First District thrived as a place for yōkai entertainment - their specialty being gambling. They also own Japanese-style yōkai eatery called Bakenekoya.
Her size compared to her husband today
She is the beautiful and violent wife of Karasu Tengu and the mother of Kuroumaru, Tosakamaru and Sasami. She thinks that family is a very important thing, as she scolds her children and husband for not thinking of their family much and only visiting their home in Mt. Takao once every year.
Shirohebi is a very old Nura Clan member and the Land God who presides over Ukiyoe Middle School. He is a large white snake who appears in a fountain and is considered one of the school's seven mysteries. His great-granddaughter Rinko calls him "Grandpa Hii," often giving him food and otherwise caring for him. His power is to bring extreme good luck, which has made his descendants very wealthy.
She is a girl who is 1/8th yōkai and the great-granddaughter of the land god Shirohebi, thanks to him and their "genetic" great luck her family of traders is really wealthy. She attends Ukiyoe Middle School in the guise of a human, though her disguise isn't perfect since her eyes are slit-like pupils and she has small scale-like markings under her eyes and on her arms. She frequently visits Shirohebi and provides him with food.
Other Youkai Groups
Shikoku Hachijūhakki Yakō
The first serious threat that the protagonist has to face, the 88 Demons of Shikoku were once so powerful that they sought to overtake a human castle three hundred years ago. After being defeated, however, the group fell into decline. It's rebuilt by Tamazuki, who wants to take over the Nura Clan's territory.
Tropes Associated with 88 Demons of Shikoku
- Big Bad Wannabe: They ultimately prove to be more of an annoyance than an actual threat.
- Evil Counterpart: All of the executives are this to Rikuo's True Companions.
- Smug Snake: All of them, but especially Tamazuki.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Despite being a threat, they really don't stand a chance once the Nura Clan gets serious.
- Unwitting Pawn: They were used by Sanmoto to eliminate the Nura Clan for him, even giving him the Devil's Hammer to do so.
"All of you... Sacrifice yourselves for me."
The leader of the current Shikoku Hachijūhakki Yakō, he is the eighth son of Inugamigyōbu Danuki's 88th wife and the one who most strongly inherited his father's divine power. His name was originally Tamazusa, but he changed it to Tamazuki (“Aiming for the throne”) as a symbol of his aspirations to become the master of all yōkai. He forms his own group and infiltrates Ukiyoe Town.
- Ambition Is Evil
- Bad Boss: Kills his minions when he wants to sacrifice them.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Tamazuki has an awful, literal case of this, discarding allies and subordinates without a second thought once he feels he has no more use for them.
- Cool Mask
- Drunk on the Dark Side: When using his evil sword.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: In his human guise.
- Evil Counterpart: To Rikuo, having a human guise, a Quirky Mini Boss Squad knockoff to his True Companions and the ability to assimilate minions within their own bodies.
- Evil Weapon: Maou's Hammer. He loses it after he's defeated, and the sword is then taken back to one of Sanmoto Gorouzaemon's many body parts.
- Heel-Face Turn: Not really by choice, after he was defeated. He seems to have improved by the next time we see him.
- Kick the Dog: Poor Inugami.
- Large and In Charge: In his true form, he's taller than Rikuo's Night form.
- Meaningful Rename: He changed his name from Tamazusa (taken from a legend to showcase consideration) to Tamazuki ("Aiming for the throne").
- Oedipus Complex: Hates his father, wants to surpass him and even tries to kill him in the anime.
- Pet the Dog: Literally. Since Rikuo spared his life he's been taking care of a puppy.
- Who seems to be Inugami's reincarnation.
- Rapunzel Hair: In his true form.
- Scars Are Forever: Gets one on his face after righting with Rikuo.
- Smug Snake: Talks like a master planner, but once he fights Rikuo, it's obvious that his own strength is in his Status Buff in the Devil's Hammer.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: A tell sign that he isn't normal.
- Tanuki: His true form.
- Unwitting Pawn: For the Hyaku Monogatari clan and the Gokadoin House. Abe no Ariyuki goes as far as telling him that, had he won, his reign would have lasted only three days.
- Villainous Breakdown: He loses it once he begins losing control of the youkai he absorbed and when the Devil's Hammer is taken from him.
- Taken Up to Eleven Not being able to sense Rikuo's presence, cumulating in a failed attempt on his father's life, only for Rikuo to strike him down and he is visibly terrified.
- White Hair, Black Heart: In his true form.
One of Tamazuki's executives. She's a mysterious yokai who can make people blind. She betrays Tamazuki and since then she has been seen taking orders from the fake Mitsume Yazura, Minagorshi Jizo, Encho and Abe no Ariyuki.
- Blade on a Stick: Naginata, her weapon of choice.
- Casting a Shadow: With her feathers.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: The most triumphant example in the series. So far she has betrayed the Shikoku Hachijūhakki Yakō, the Kyoto Youkai and the Hyaku Monogatari Clan.
- The Dragon: Well, Co-Dragons with Inu-hoho and Inugami till it was revealed that she was a mole for the Hyaku Monogatari Clan.
- Enigmatic Minion: In whatever group she's in and tends to betray them whenever they prove useless.
- In the last chapters of the manga, it's finally revealed that she's not a youkai, but a shikigami, and has been working for Abe no Ariyuki since the beginning.
- The Voiceless: Except for a few moments in the series.
- Totally Not a Werewolf: A Shikigami that others believed was a youkai.
- Winged Humanoid
Inugami is one of the executives of the Shikoku Hachijūhakki Yakō, whose real form is that of a giant dog. His head is able to separate from his body and act on its own to bite open an opponent's throat.
Sodemogi-sama is one of the executives of the Shikoku Hachijūhakki Yakō and a Yōkai who specializes in killing guardian deities. He is frequently described as a "bald Buddha statue." He attacks Senba and Kokehime with the intent of weakening the Nura Clan's power by transferring the land gods' worship to himself, but is ultimately defeated by Kurotabō.
Hari Onna, known as Kagibari Onna in the anime, is one of the executives of the Shikoku Hachijūhakki Yakō and a yōkai who can turn her hair into hooks. She hates being called an old lady and follows Tamazuki primarily because she fears him.
- The Atoner: Since his son went and decided to take on the Nura Clan.
- Big Good:To the Shikoku yokai when Tamazuki wasn't leading them.
- Break the Haughty: Obviously Nurarihyon, but more importantly when a human wielding the Devil's Hammer did this to 300 of his clansmen.
- Large and In Charge: As he grew with age, so did he with girth.
- Mr. Exposition: An episode is dedicated to his explanation of the events leading up to the current arc.
- The Rival: To Nurarihyon in his youth.
- Token Good Teammate: Normally Tamazuki's group would be considered the Token Evil Teammate, but since the majority follow his son, he's this.
Tōno Village Youkai
Known as the martial arts experts of the northeast, many of those who live in Tōno Village were sent to various other yōkai groups as mercenaries, and gained a reputation as prideful ninja yōkai because of their independent nature and refusal to exchange sakazuki. They have an intense dislike of Kyoto yōkai, who have historically looked down upon them and used them for convenience's sake.
A Kamaitachi youkai. He was instructed to watch and teach Rikuo during the latter's stay in Tono. He fights using two or three sickles and his true form is that of a weasel-faced demon. Joins Rikuo on his journey to Kyoto. He also assists Rikuo against the Hundred Tales and Gokadoin Clans.
youkai, so Awashima is a man at day and a woman at night, nevertheless he
identifies himself as male
no matter which form he is in. Joins Rikuo on his journey to Kyoto.
A Numakappa youkai. Like his friends he joins Rikuo on his journey to Kyoto.
A Futtachi youkai. Like the others he joined Rikuo on his journey to Kyoto. When he tried to help Reira against Tsuchigumo both ended crushed by him, as result of that they don't join the rest in the final battle.
As a Zashiki-Warashi youkai, Yukari brings good luck. She joined Rikuo on his journey to Kyoto but didn't take part in the final battle as she stayed behind with Reira and Dohiko to take care of them.
- Brown Eyes
- The Bus Came Back: After being absent in the Hundred Tales Arc, she reappears in the Gokadoin Arc, accompanying Itaku, Rikuo, Tsurara, and Ryuuji to Mount Osore. She also participates in the assault on Blue Spiral Castle.
- Winds of Destiny, Change: Brings good luck to those around her.
A Yuki-Onna youkai like Tsurara. She joins Rikuo on his journey to Kyoto.She was heavily wounded by Tsuchigumo and she couldn't join the final battle in Kyoto.
The Kyoto Youkai consider themselves to be the most powerful ayakashi in Japan and have been active for at least one thousand years. They're also the ancestral enemies of the Keikain onmyōji. Their goal is to resurrect the Nue and make Kyoto a paradise for youkai. After the Nue's resurrection, the Kyoto Youkai split into two factions. Most of them follow the Nue to hell, while the rest stay behind out of loyalty to Hagoromo Gitsune and make peace with the Nura Clan.
Tropes associated with Kyoto Yokai
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Basically, before the Nura clan won admittedly through coincidences (Nuraihyon using the blade he took from Princess Yo and Hidemoto's assistance), they were the strongest demon group in Kyoto, if not all of Japan.
- Badass: In stark comparison to the Shikkoku who were a bunch of braggarts who never stood a chance against the Nura Clan, Nuraihyon specifically states that even a single Mook was too much for Rikuo, even after he defeated Tamazuki.
- The fact that Nuraihyon would have been killed if not for Hidemoto's assistance (both blade and sealing), and the entire group was the previous Night Parade cements them as this.
- Badass Crew: Every one of their top elites qualify and even some of their Mooks are very impressive.
- Smug Super: Since there hasn't been a major challenge and justifiably have the strength to back up their claims.
- Unwitting Pawn: An even more elaborate example than the Shikoku Yokai, since Sanmoto and the yokai they were trying to resurrect were using them from the beginning.
"Very soon, our dearest wish will be fulfilled. The world of our dreams will come into being."
The current leader of the Kyoto Youkai, she's a nine-tailed kitsune
whose goal is to give birth to the Nue and fill the world with darkness. She has lived a thousand years through reincarnation. She possesses the body of a notable child and takes control of it to attain adult form. Although she can only live as long as a human lifetime each time she reincarnates, she will continue to reincarnate into the next generation as long as her true form isn't sealed. Her current host body is a fabricated one with the soul of Yamabuki Otome, Nura Rihan's first wife. After giving birth to the Nue, she is separated from her host body and is sent to hell by her own son.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: Thanks to her constant switching of hosts.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Her modern incarnation. The maturity and coldness of a thousand-year-old kitsune inside a beautiful tall, dark-haired high school girl.
- A Mother To Her Men: Especially to Kyokotsu. This is in contrast to previous villain Tamazuki.
- Animal Motif: Fox.
- Back from the Dead: Thanks to her power of reincarnation. She came back again in chapter 200.
- Born-Again Immortality: She inhabits a child till it matures enough to take over. The downside is that she lives as long as her host and has to repeat the process over and over again.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: She wanted a world of Darkness ruled by youkai. In order to get that her son tosses her into the depths of hell.
- Big Bad: Until she gives birth to the Nue.
- Curtains Match the Window: Her current host has black eyes and black hair.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Taken to such extremes that she's monochromatic even in color pages and the anime.
- Even Bad Women Love Their Son and Husband: She genuinely loved her human husband even if she thinks the world should be ruled by youkai. Not to mention her son Abe No Seimei.
- Fantastic Foxes/Kitsune: The only pure-blooded kitsune that has appeared in the series.
- Fusion Dance: She combines with Nura Rikuo in order for the latter to use her "Fear" in order to defeat Abe no Seimei.
- Godiva Hair: When she was in the ritual center to born the Nue.
- Heel-Face Turn: After her last resurrection.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: She was Lady Yodo in one of her past lives.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: She can get weapons out of her school bag or her tails, much to Rikuo's chagrin.
- Ms. Fanservice: Both in the anime and the manga.
- Oneesama: Called this by Kyokotsu, with her undying adoration.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Her modern incarnation, in contrast with the other school girls shown in the series.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Even her enemy, Hidemoto the 13th, had to admit she had found a beautiful body for her last reincarnation. Understandable since it's Yamabuki Otome's body.
- Really 1000 Years Old
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: Hagoromo-Gitsune takes it literally and beyond:
"I will fill this world with something pure. Pure black, like these black eyes, this black hair, and black clothes..."
- Woman in Black: She even lampshades it at one point.
- Worf Had the Flu: The only reason she lost was that she was suffering a Villainous BSOD when she remembers her killing of Rihan as Otome's memories were resurfacing. Up to that point, she was dominating the fight.
- Unwitting Pawn: To her own son, Nue and Sanmoto.
Kyōkotsu (Daughter and Father)
A youkai with the appearence of a young girl. Her father fought alongside Hagoromo Gitsune 400 years ago and now the daughter is one of her most loyal followers.
A swordsman who has been part of the Kyoto Youkai for at least 1000 years. He tries to recruit warriors from the Tōno Village, but fails and then is unable to kill Rikuo after he learned how to master his youkai powers. However, he's still one of the most powerful core members of the Kyoto Clan.
Once a demon child with a taste for blood, he became part of the Kyoto Youkai after the Nue killed his adoptive father, the oni Shuten Dōji. Easily recognizable by the wooden grave marker that covers the left side of his face, Ibaraki Dōji has a violent and bloodthirsty drive under his usual laid back appearance.
- Ax-Crazy: Normally a perpetually angry man, but when his grave marker is damaged, he goes insane.
- Blood Lust: He's rather violent.
- Creepy Child: Was able to walk from birth, was violent, had sharp teeth, and was even called a Oni's child.
- Dual Wielding: Two katana.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Is perpetually irritated so anything sets him off.
- Happily Adopted: Not a good thing when your foster father is another bloodthirsty demon.
- Earlier he was adopted by elderly human parents. Though once he tasted his own blood he craved human blood and ended up killing his adoptive father before running away. Which lead him to his demon foster father.
- Mummies at the Dinner Table: He erected the grave marker for his father, and is seen talking to him when the grave marker is broken.
- Red Oni: To Shōkera's Blue Oni.
- Sibling Team: With Kidomaru, his adopted older brother.
- Shock and Awe: Apart from being a swordsman, he also has lightning powers.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Shōkera's Blue.
- Two-Faced: Under the grave marker he has an oni-like face.
- Undying Loyalty: To the Nue.
- Wrath: Embodies this.
No, Shokera; Hagoromo's not the Holy Mary, and Abe no Seimei is not Jesus.
A somewhat pious youkai wearing pseudo priest robes and a Christian cross on a necklace. He believes himself to be doing the work of God and often calls Hagoromo Gitsune “Lady Mary” or “Blessed Mother of Darkness”, much to Ibaraki Dōji's chagrin.
A Gashadokuro youkai. A Kyoto youkai who followed Hagoromo Gitsune. He was sealed away around 400 years ago until recently and returns as one of Hagoromo's most loyal followers.
An honorable and old-fashioned youkai, he's the leader of the forces set to watch over the skies of Kyoto during Hagoromo Gitsune's attack.
"Fighting really isn't about winning or losing. It's just fun to share the meal together."
Not exactly part of the Kyoto youkai, he only helps Hagoromo Gitsune because he wants to fight powerful adversaries. He is often likened to natural disasters like typhoons, earthquakes and plague.
- Badass: Barring Hagoromo Gitsune and Nue, he's probably one of the most powerful youkai around.
- Blood Knight: He wants to fight strong adversaries and he'll ally with you as long as you promise that.
- Genius Bruiser: You already know how Badass he is already, but he's much more perceptive than he appears as he's the first to guess that Jizo replaced Great Tengu.
- Hero Killer: Not mentioning that he killed several minor Nura clan fighters, he caused a devastating blow to the Nura Clan's morale by subjecting them to a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown.
- The Juggernaut: Even a Fusion Dance that manages to cut him in half isn't enough to bring him totally down for the count, something that he immediately recovered from. He's also described as a natural disaster rather than a youkai.
- Knight of Cerebus: While the Shikoku group were a genuine threat, things really started to get serious once he beats down the Nura Clan.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Oh a finger? Stick it back on, Oh you managed to nearly cut me in half? Minor annoyance to recover from. Only the Nue could inflict serious injuries on him.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous
- Nightmare Face: His Hannya-eque face.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: If you're not capable of surviving this, he doesn't consider you a worthy opponent.
- Person OF Mass Destruction: And how!
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The onmyouji Hidemoto managed to seal him by tricking him and only because Tsuchigumo was bored.
- Tricked him? They told him that he'd wake up in 1000 years and could fight The Nue if he was sealed. He accepted.
- Smarter Than You Look: For someone who cares only about fighting, he's The first to notice Jizo replaced the Great Tengu as a member, something not even the elite could do.
- Threshold Guardian: The real threat Rikuo had to defeat in order to reach Hagoromo Gitsune.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: No, Rikuo; Tsuchigumo does not believe that you feel you won't lose as long as you have the Night Parade behind you.
- Wild Card: Even Hagoromo Gitsune knows it's better to let Tsuchigumo have his way.
- Would Hit a Girl: He explicitely says he doesn't discriminate. He targets anyone who can fight.
Great Tengu of Mount Kurama
A powerful and old Tengu who served as the right hand of Hagoromo Gitsune for hundreds of years. He was replaced when Minagoroshi Jizou appeared as he had brainwashed the other Kyoto Youkai into forgetting him and took his place
. This leads him to preventing the birth of the Nue and side with his enemy Gyuki and the Nura clan
- The Dragon: Originally one to Hagoromo Gitsune till Jizo cast him aside.
- Enemy Mine: Since Jizo replaced him as a member,so he had Rikuo trained in order to prevent the birth of Nue and prevent his and Sanmoto's plans from succeeding.
- Heel-Face Turn: Maybe. He only sided with them to get revenge and prevent the Nue's birth at this time. But now that the Nue has been born he may have to end up joining them for real. He was not one of the youkai who went with the Nue to hell however.
- Revenge: He didn't like being thrown out by Jizo at all.
Nijūnanamen Senju Mukade
A Kyoto yōkai who resembles a thousand-armed Guanyin. He is the guardian of a multitude of Japanese gates at the Fushimi Inari Shrine, through which he can extend his arms or capture the limbs of an opponent.
- Conspicuous CG: How he appears in the anime because he's far too complex to animated.
- Creepy Monotone: Especially in the dub.
- Dimension Lord: Whenever he capture the victim's limbs, their limbs will appear in another torii. This torii acts like dimension portal. He takes root in the "realm of the heart" created by children he has frightened, and the greater the child's fear the stronger he becomes.
- Emotion Eater: Thrives on the fears of children in order to become stronger.
- I'm Not Afraid of You: How he can be defeated through weakening.
- Meaningful Name: "Twenty Seven Face One-Thousand Hand Centipede", and he is able to increase those limbs and faces based on the fear's obtained.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous
- Sealed Evil in a Can
Hyaku Monogatari Clan
Can be considered as the main antagonist group of the series together with the Kyoto youkai, since Hyaku Monogatari Clan is behind almost all the incidents Rikuo and his group faced.
Tropes Associated With The Hyaku Monogatari Clain
- Big Bad Ensemble/Hive Mind/Mental Fusion: This seems to be what the seven excecutives of the present Hundred Tales Clan are turning out to be, working towards the same goals, but doing it in their own way. Minagoroshi Jizou is a special example in that he is not an excecutive, but is part of it regardless given how many things he has been responsible for, that benefitted the clan as a whole, before his death. However, it turns out that it's just a Big Bad Ensemble masquerading as both a Hive Mind and Mental Fusion, at least for the body parts that gained sentience and will.
- Body Horror/Squick: Sanmoto was freaking huge and ugly and fat even as a normal human, and his transformation MELTED AND SPLITTED HIS FLESH INTO HUNDRED PARTS, which in turn become grotesque Yokai themselves. Example:
- Five-Bad Band: The body parts who were made into excecutives (and Yanagida) can be considered this:
- Weak, but Skilled: In terms of skills, they have some of the most impressive arsenal in the series. However, they also tend to be Squishy Wizards in terms of physical endurance. Which is why the group prefers to be Manipulative Bastard schemers than on the offensive.
Demon King Form
"I absolutely will become a buddha... I will not be destroyed... even if this vessel of flesh is gone... I will inherit all the Fear in the world!!"
The leader of the Hyaku Monogatari clan, he was original an ordinary, albeit gigantic and obese, human merchant living in Edo. Having grown bored of the usual entertainment, however, he acquired the Hyakki Teakettle and devised the creation of a Hyaku Monogatari to gather fear into it and use the fear to control Edo.However, when he was killed during a Nura clan assault, he made himself a yokai, which transformed himself and his bodyparts into yōkai. While his main body and consciousness ended up in hell, the yōkai who comprised the rest of his body remained to cause chaos. The strongest among them even seemed to develop their own consciousnesses.
- A God Am I: Wanted to become a buddha, he becomes something more terrifying in doing so.
- Big Bad: Through his Brain to which he eventually reincarnates through in the Hyaku Monogatari arc.
- Arguably the entire series, since both Shikoku and Kyoto were manipulated by him; is responsible for Rikuo's father's death and resurrecting the final Big Bad for his own purposes.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Although he thought he had everything under control, at the same time he was being manipulated by Enchou and Abe no Ariyuki. When his time to return came, he was summarily betrayed and then Rikuo sent him back to hell, leaving the stage clear for the final confrontation against Seimei.
- Bigger Bad: To the Brain, as well as the rest of the villains who have been manipulated by him from behind the scenes.
- Big Bad Ensemble: He and the Nue are responsible for all of the mess of the present era.
- Body Horror: The result of his Emergency Transformation causes his body parts to take a life of their own.
- Brainwashed: What he does to others who drink the Conquerors tea. Kurotabō was one of them.
- Corrupt Merchant: Initially was one, manipulating almost all of Edo's political leaders into becoming his pawns and razing the poor For the Evulz.
- Disproportionate Retribution: When he was a young man, a lady ignored his advances for being ugly. So he has her entire family killed and takes her in once she's broken utterly. That'll teach her.
- Dirty Coward: Was one as a human. His body parts after he became a demon are not.
- Emergency Transformation: How he became a youkai.
- Evil Makes You Monstrous: And how!
- Evil Makes You Ugly: Going from ugly to pure Nightmare Face.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Especially in the dub.
- Fat Bastard, Villainous Glutton, Gonk , then finally Dead Weight.
- Faux Affably Evil: While human, he put up a humble and somewhat friendly front while secretly viewing those around him as little more than means to an end. After becoming a demon, he drops the act.
- For the Evulz: His initial reason for why he created yokai was because he was bored of his usual activities so he decided to spice it up.
- From Smug Snake Coward To Nightmare: Once was an orange merchant who used a Macguffin to achieve his ambitions, but through his "death", he manages to cause all the problems of the present story.
- Gonk: Very much so as a human◊.
- The Heavy: While the Nue was getting reborn, he manipulated everything that happened for two major story arcs.
- Human Shield: Is willing to do this when pushed to corner.
- Karmic Transformation: Self-infliced. He becomes the same type of youkai he created to cause chaos on Edo.
- Large and In Charge/Evil Is Bigger: Was very big as a human, then becomes a huge youkai that towers over buildings.
- Man Behind the Man: Big time. Basically, two villain groups were manipulated into doing his work, with some help from another source for the latter of the two.
- Manipulative Bastard: To Kurotabo and the entire cast, including the two main antagonists who were Unwitting Pawn pieces to him.
- Not Quite Dead: Double subverted. He did end up going to hell after breaking his neck, but his remaining body parts remained alive and since they lived, he lived through them technically while in hell.
- Our Demons Are Different: Was Once a Man and his remaining parts had taken sentience while he remains in hell.
- Out-Gambitted: By Enchou and Abe no Ariyuki.
- Revenge: Against Rihan. He succeeds big time with Seimei's collaboration.
- Shout-Out: His "mutated" form looks rather like the God-Warrior from Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.
- The Storyteller: Brings youkai to life through stories.
- Smug Snake: Sanmoto was once as a human when he desired to become a Buddha. His body parts after he became a demon are not.
- Unwitting Pawn: Seimei is more about using him than being his partner, and even his own body parts use Revenge for an excuse for mindless evil.
- Was Once a Man: Once was an orange seller who desired his own Night Parade with a Macguffin. However it resulted in himself turning into a youkai, as well. Arguably the biggest puppeteer of the series.
Fake Mitsume Yazura/Sanmoto's Brain (Sanmoto by proxy)
A youkai disquised as the Nura Clan affiliated youkai Mitsume Yazura. He is really a part of the Hundred Tales Clan. He is Sanmoto's Brain and maybe even Sanmoto himself by proxy, born from the remains of Sanmoto Gorouzaemon's main body after he was defeated. Having the biggest connection to Sanmoto through sharing his thoughts and feelings from hell, as well as the thoughts and feelings of his body parts, he can sense where the other body parts are and what they are doing. This makes him the official leader of new The Hundred Tales Clan, though he let's Enchou act as the de-facto leader. In addition, he is one of the seven executives.His original appearance was as a baby-like demon that Yanagida found in Sanmoto's main body's remains. He has since grown up into an adult version of this.He was the one who orchestrated Tamazuki's rise to power by lending him Maou's Hammer through Yosuzume. After Tamazuki failed, he got the sword back and later gave it to Minagoroshi Jizou so that he could lend the weapon to Nue in accordance with their deal.Currently, he has met up with Enchou and was led to the new Hundred Tales Clan's base. He has been led to what's going to be Sanmoto's new body and is currently residing in it. He has also shed his disquise. In a twist however, Enchou betrayed and killed him. He was the third or fourth executive to go down, depending on if the old Nura Clan members killed Tamasaburo or not.
- Big Bad: Of the Hundred Tales Arc, and possibly some of the other arcs as well. At first! Then Enchou stabbed him.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Despite being behind the majority of events, he's not nearly as tough as the others, and then Enchou decides to kill him once he outlives his usefulness.
- Body Horror: Like all of Sanmoto's body parts turned youkai, though he takes the cake!
- Chekhov's Gunman: He's been disguised as Mitsume Yazura from the beginning of the current story.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Disguised as Mitsume Yazura in order to learn the Nura clan's secrets.
- Evil Weapon: Maou's Hammer is usually in his possession when it's not lent out to an affiliated enemy or another one of his clan.
- Full-Body Disguise: His disguise of Mitsume Yazura, enough to fool the Nura clan.
- He Was Right There All Along: The official leader of the new Hundred Tales Clan and possibly Sanmoto himself... and he was living within the Nura Clan's walls all along. That takes guts!
- Killed Off for Real
- The Load: He doesn't appear to have any fighting ability, just the power of sensing what the other body parts were up to. He is also the part that is the most connected to Sanmoto and is the one who cares about his revival the most. Also, since he is Sanmoto in a way, he has the loyalty of all the mindless or animalistic body parts. Unknown to him, this makes him a hindrance to all the body parts who gained sentience and will as they didn't really care for Sanmoto's revival. Thus, he was thus only useful for infiltrating the Nura Clan to keep them up to date on their activities, as well as for controlling the aforemented mindless body parts, and once that usefulness had run it's course, Enchou promptly stabbed him in the back of his head and let him die.
- The Man Behind the Man: Behind Tamazuki's rise to power as well as his weapon. Yosuzume also answers to him. Considering who he is, he may be behind most of the other arcs as well.
- Manipulative Bastard: Or rather, a Smug Snake, who is a masterful manipulator, but falls apart at the sight of a possible challenge.
- The Mole: While disguised as Mitsume Yazura.
- Oh, Crap: When Rikuo infiltrated the base of the Hundred Tales Clan, and again when he gets stabbed by Enchou!
- Villainous Breakdown: He was certainly the one who resembled Sanmoto in personality after all, so it was to be expected.
- One-Winged Angel: Became the Demon King Sanmoto thanks to his hate. Unfortunately for him, his hate isn't good enough.
- Psychic Link: This is his power, allowing him to keep tabs on the other body parts as well as issuing orders for them to carry out. It also allows him to sense when a body part dies.
- Since it's Sanmoto by proxy, it's to be expected. Despite his manipulations and infiltration, he proves useless when his minions discard him and panics easily once Rikuo barrages into their base.
- Revenge: Against the Nura Clan like all members of the Hundred Tales Clan. Doubly so since he is Sanmoto's Brain, and by proxy, Sanmoto himself.
- The Power of Hate: His hate for the Nura clan and Enchou allowed him to become the Demon King Sanmoto.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sanmoto's goals and the Hundred Tales Clan, because he is Sanmoto by proxy. This ends badly for him!
- Unwitting Pawn: To Enchou.
- Walking Spoiler: By proxy of being The Mole and true Big Bad of the fourth arc.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Enchou decides to betray after seeing how useless he is.
- You Will Be Assimilated: Implied to be the intended host of a new body that his body parts are building for him since, technically, he's not just Sanmoto's Brain but also Sanmoto himself by proxy. This presumably also includes merging any still-living body parts with it once the body is ready for action. After becoming the Demon King Sanmoto the other parts start to assimilate with him against their will.
A youkai with the appearance of an old man. His most distinguishing feature is the grotesque eye
on his forehead, which he uses to hypnotize enemies. He can possess other people by going into them and taking the shape of a small eyeball in the back of the possessed person's body, and has memory alteration powers. He is one of the main villains of the Kyoto Arc, being the one who masterminded the Kyoto Youkai's present plan for Nue's return. He is part of The Hundred Tales Clan and was one of the more active ones, and while he is not one of the executives, he is a formidable planner and a competent schemer.
In truth, he is the left eye of Sanmoto Gorouzaemon, born in the Edo era when Sanmoto used his last tale to emergency transform
into a monster whose body melted and split into multiple youkai. Jizou was one of the special Youkai created from this transformation, possessing intelligence and cunning, speech, and his powers from the moment he was born. Sanmoto's main body's defeat by Rihan led to him and his fellow created Youkai to go into hiding.In accordance with the deal that Sanmoto and Nue had, he masterminded Rihan's death and Hagoromo Gitsune's reincarnation in the present using Maou's Hammer and the resurrected body of Rihan's first wife: Yamabuki Otome. After Hagoromo Gitsune's awakening, he assisted her in her plan to give birth to Nue, taking the spot of the Great Tengu by altering her subordinates' memories (except Tsuchigumo).
As a subordinate of Hagoromo Gitsune, he was the one who came up with the plan to break the seals that were put in place in Kyoto, barring Hagoromo Gitsune and the Kyoto Youkai from reaching the capital where they could give birth to Nue. He possessed Akifusa of the Kekain onmyouji clan
, taking advantage of the latter's weakness. The possessed Akifusa
battled against Yura and Ryuuji but ultimately lost. Jizou survived however, and regrouped with Hagoromo Gitsune. He also received Maou's Hammer in order to give it to Nue upon his birth as part of the deal between him and Sanmoto,
which he later used to stab Nurarihyon, stealing part of his Fear, the sword having absorbed part of the Fear of all three clanheads of the Nura clan as a result
Once Nue was reborn, Minagoroshi Jizou gave him Maou's Hammer, his true identity as part of Sanmoto Gorouzaemon exposed. He was then killed by Rikuo, who impaled him with Nenekimaru.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Averted. Despite not being an excecutive, he was just as competent as one, and may have surpassed Raiden in sheer effectiveness.
- Bald of Evil
- Beard of Evil
- Brainwashed: Not him, but he can do this with his powers. He used it on Hagoromo Gitsune's subordinates to erase their memories involving a former subordinate, in order to take that subordinate's place and on Yamabuki Otome to erase her memories of her former life and former husband Rihan.
- Body Horror: He already looks like a deformed old man, but the eye in his forehead... *shiver*
- Chekhov's Gunman: He can be seen in both Chapter 17 and Chapter 51, about 58 and 24 chapters before he is properly introduced.
- Demonic Possession: He did this to Akifusa. See More Than Mind Control below.
- The Dragon/The Evil Genius: For Hagoromo Gitsune and the Kyoto Youkai. He is definitely the latter, being the mastermind of the plan to break the seals and having a good part of schemes running. He also acted like a Dragon to Enchou when they were first created.
- Dragon with an Agenda: He is definitely this, assisting the Kyoto Youkai in giving birth to the Nue because it's in Sanmoto's and The Hundred Tales Clan's best interests in doing so. Best demonstrated when Gitsune is forced out of the body of Yamabuki Otome and when he is talking to the newly born Nue. However, with the recent revelations about Sanmoto's Brain, he may not have been as loyal to the Clan as he seemed.
- Emergency Transformation: Possibly how he survived being hit by a blast of Yura's Hagun powers. This is also how he was born, thanks to Sanmoto.
- Evil Old Folks: Has the appearance of one.
- Evil Weapon: Maou's Hammer, a katana and Sanmoto's Heart that is delivered to him by Yosuzume and temporarily wields when Nurarihyon infiltrates the base of the Kyoto Youkai. He uses it to stab Nurarihyon and absorb his Fear, thus having absorbed the Fear of all three clanheads of the Nura Clan. He later gives it to the reborn Nue as part of the deal between Nue and Sanmoto.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: The large eye on his forehead, possibly because he is Sanmoto's left eye.
- Charm Person: This is the power of the large eye on his forehead. He has used it to erase Gitsune's subordinates' memories of the Great Tengu, erase the memories of Yamabuki Otome to set her up as the killer of Rihan and the host body of Hagoromo Gitsune. He also tried to use it when he was just created no less on Kubinashi, restrained by Enchou, in order to find a weakness in the Nura Clan. Fortunately for Kubinashi, he had to abandon this when Sanmoto's main body was killed.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Or just red big eye.
- Killed Off for Real: He may have suffered this fate at the end of the Kyoto Arc, being impaled on Rikuo's blade and dying shortly thereafter. Due to the nature of his creation however, it is possible that he may yet come back.
- Manipulative Bastard/Magnificent Bastard: He has almost single handedly brought the death of the previous Nura Clan leader, manipulated the Kyoto Youkai leader into releasing his master's partner into the living world and not to mention even briefly turning one of the omniyojis against his comrades, a great deal more effective than most of the villains ever accomplished.
- More Than Mind Control: He possessed Akifusa by exploiting his jealousy over him being passed over by the Hagun in favour of Yura.
- Obviously Evil: Just LOOK at him! You'll be hard pressed to find a person who didn't peg him off as evil right from the start! The only surprise turns out to be how utterly effective he truly was at this!
- Oh, Crap: His reaction when Nurarihyon uses his powers to turn invisible. Also his reaction when he is killed by Rikuo.
- The Reveal: Nue saying that he is Sanmoto Gorouzaemon, though Jizou corrects this by saying that he is merely a part of him, more specifically the left eye, qualifies as one.
- Revenge: Along with the rest of The Hundred Tales Clan, this is his primary motivation against the Nura Clan.
- Subverted in that the said clan could be less than interested in their master's wishes. Jizou seems to be the only loyal one.
- Squishy Wizard: Has an impressive set of abilities, is cunning enough to use them effectively, and boasts great intelligence, but when Rikuo actually got a shot at him, he went down fast.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sanmoto's goals and the Hundred Tales Clan. Recent revelations casts doubt over this!
- You Killed My Father: Indirect example. A Brainwashed Yamabuki Otome may have done the actual deed to Rihan, Rikuo's father, but he was the one who orchestrated it through his powers.
A yokai of the Hundred Tales Clan and Sanmoto's hand. Taking the form of a good-looking man with a neutral expression, he paints pictures of yokai which come to life. He is also one of the seven excecutives of the new Hundred Tales Clan.
His purpose is creating new yokai from the tales that Enchou tells to the public.He has used Torii twice in his paintings: Once as the base for a story, while the during the Shibuya Outbreak he just transformed her into a yokai who had to be rescued by Rikuo.
Once Raiden is killed
he goes on a rampage across Shibuya, creating and transforming humans into yokai, to spread chaos and fullfill his desire to create a landscape of hell. When Rikuo shows up to put a stop to his rampage, he inflicts him with a Curse
that wastes away his body and leaving him only minutes to live, but this was not enough and Rikuo managed to kill him, lifting his Curse at the same time. The yokai created by him did not disappear after his death, leaving the gang to clean up his mess. He was the second excecutive to go down
- Art Attacker: His power, which is one of the most formidable in the series. It's likely that he has it because he is Sanmoto's hand.
- Art Initiates Life: He is the creator of the youkai from the stories that Enchou tells. He is not limited to this.
- Enemy Summoner: While he creates youkai from tales, he is also capable of creating generic Mook youkai to assist him.
- Baleful Polymorph: Can turn humans into youkai by painting on them! He did this to Natsumi.
- Body Horror: Most yokai created from his powers. Also inflicted on the humans whom he turns into yokai, and on Rikuo when Kyosai Curses him.
- Curse: By making a painting of a person he can inflict this. In Rikuo's case, the curse wasted away at his body leaving him with only minutes to live. Thankfully, it was lifted when Kyosai got killed.
- Dungeon Bypass: Youkai can't enter certain buildings without being invited. Kyosai bypasses this by turning the walls, windows, and doors into youkai.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Is one of the seven excecutives of the Hundred Tales Clan and had quite formidable powers.
- Disposable Woman: Most of the humans he transformed into youkai are women.
- Face Death with Dignity: In stark contrast to other [[spoiler:killed members of the Hundred Tales Clan.
- The Hedonist: While he still puts the agendas of The Hundred Tales clan as the foremost priority, he still comes of as this, wanting to satisfy his desires to kill Rikuo and create what he calls a landscape of hell. However, later revelations show that he was only loyal to the Hundred Tales Clan as long as he got to do what he wanted, playing this trope straight.
- Killed Off for Real: However, like Minagoroshi Jizou, it is possible that he may come Back from the Dead due to the nature of his creation.
- Mad Artist: Gives of this vibe.
- The Man Behind The Monsters: See Art Initiates Life, Baleful Polymorph, and Enemy Summoner above.
- Revenge: Against the Nura Clan like the rest of the Hundred Tales Clan.
- Squishy Wizard: Much like Minagoroshi Jizou, he has a formidable ability and is good at utilizing it's full potential, but if you can overcome his powers, he's not going to survive for long.
- The Stoic: Almost always has a neutral expression on his face.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sanmoto's goals and the Hundred Tales Clan. NOT!
Sanmoto Gorōzaemon's loyal aide. A demon who served him willingly and helped him in his goal to complete the Hundred Tales. After Sanmotos transformation into a demon and defeat at the hands of Rihan and Kurotabō he has become a servant of Sanmotos body parts. He collects Tales to be added to the Hundred Tales, and this is his main purpose in the present as well as he is the unofficial "Ear of Sanmoto" and one of the seven executives of the new Hundred Tales Clan
- The Dragon: Formerly to Sanmoto and now to his body parts. However, the body parts considers him one of them, which is probably why he is an excecutive.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He was always envious of Kurotabō, who was Sanmatos favorite.
- Revenge: Against the Nura Clan like all Hundred Tales Clan members, but especially against Kurotabou.
- One Of These Is Not Like The Others: The only excecutive that's not one of Sanmoto's body parts.
- Tears of Blood: After seeing Sanmotos dead demon body.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sanmoto's goals and the Hundred Tales Clan. With the recent revelations, he is the only executive loyal to him.
- You Will Be Assimilated: According to Minagoroshi Jizou, this might be his final fate when and if Sanmoto Gorouzaemon is resurrected.
A youkai of the Hundred Tales Clan and Sanmoto's mouth. He is supernaturally persuasive and can also bind and restrain a youkai by reciting the tale behind it. He pretty much acts as the de-facto leader of the Hundred Tales Clan, and is also one of the seven Excecutives, but answers to the fake Mitsume Yazura AKA Sanmoto's Brain
. He appeared before Rikuo after he killed Nokaze
and has challenged him to a "game of tag": Rikuo must find and kill him and the other excecutives before dawn.
He currently resides in the base of the new Hundred Tales Clan, along with the fake Mitsume Yazura AKA Sanmoto's Brain
- Body Horror: Averted. Enchou is probably the most normal-looking one of Sanmoto's body parts.
- Kinda plays it straight, actually. Just take a look at those EYES, dear god, those eyes!
- Didn't See That Coming: He didn't expect Sanmoto's Brain to survive and become the Demon King which, resulted in half of his body being assimilated.
- The Dragon: To the fake Mitsume Yazura AKA Sanmoto's Brain.
- The Heavy: Sanmoto's Brain seems to let him run the Hundred Tales Clan in his absence and Enchou was the one who made the new Hundred Tales Clan go into hiding since Sanmoto's Brain was just a baby.
- Dragon with an Agenda: He simply wants to tell ghost stories that will terrorize people and doesn't care about Sanmoto's goal.
- Manipulative Bastard: As a result of his power, and being Sanmoto's Mouth and all.
- Magnificent Bastard: Much like Minagoroshi Jizou, except he was never really loyal to his master.
- Revenge: Against the Nura Clan. Subverted. He doesn't care about getting revenge on the Nura clan.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: When Abe No Seimei and Hagoromo-Gitsune are confronting each other, their collective fear overwhelms him to the point that he can't write the story he wanted. So he leaves to go watch the other fights.
- The Starscream: He turned on Sanmoto's Brain.
- The Storyteller: He tells the stories of the Hundred Tales Clan's newly created youkai to strengthen them. It is also his power along with being a Manipulative Bastard.
- The Paralyzer: He can bind and restrain a youkai by reciting the tale behind it, as demonstrated when he was created on Kubinashi.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sanmoto's goals and the Hundred Tales Clan. Not!
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Does this to Sanmoto's Brain.
Another of Sanmoto's body parts, his bones this time, Raiden is quite the boisterous type, even showing off for the humans he's supposed to kill, though he killed them right after
. Since he is Sanmoto's Bones, his body is as hard as diamond and it also grants him exceptional strength. He can also extend his arms to give him more reach. He is one of the seven excecutives and seeked out Rikuo immediately after the "game of tag" had begun, hoping to finish him off early.He had the upper hand for a while, but when Rikuo used a new technique to switch his Fear from defense to offense, the tables were turned and Raiden was destroyed. He was the first excecutive to go down.
- Blood Knight: Loves a good battle, but following the orders of the Hundred Tales Clan comes first. Or so we believe. It's likely that along with the rest of the excecutives and Minagoroshi Jizou, with the exception of Yanagida, being a Blood Knight is his real reason and motive for doing what he does.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- The Brute
- Dumb Muscle: Though more intelligent than Akuja no Nokaze and the monstrous Hundred Tales youkai.
- Faux Affably Evil: Shows off for the humans he's supposed to kill one moment. Kills them in the next.
- Killed Off for Real: It might be possible for him to return though, given how he was created.
- Mighty Glacier
- Nigh-Invulnerability: One of his powers. Notable because most Hundred Tales Clan members tend to be on the frail side. It wasn't enough to hold of Rikuo once he switched his Fear from defense to offense though.
- Oh, Crap: Suffered one when it turned out that Rikuo had survived taking his attack head on. Got another one when he got killed.
- Super Strength: Another one of his powers.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sanmoto's goals and the Hundred Tales Clan. NOT!
Sanmoto's Facial Skin, and one of the seven excecutives in the new Hundred Tales Clan. By touching a person, Tamasaburo will be able to make a Full-Body Disguise
of that person which others can wear. Ideal for espionage.Tamasaburo has incapacitated Kejoro and masqueraded as her to gain entry into the Nura Clan household for the purpose of assassinating Rikuo's mother. Kubinashi intervened and the two battled each other, a battle which Kubinashi prevailed. Afterwards, Tamasaburo was confronted by the other members of the Nura Clan, the fate currently unknown though it is likely that she was killed, which would make her the third to fall.
Akuja no Nokaze
Kiyojūji Paranormal Investigation Squad
The Kiyojūji Paranormal Investigation Squad, also known as the Kiyo Cross Squad, is a group of students from Ukiyoe Middle School formed by Kiyotsugu to investigate youkai. Most of Rikuo's human friends
are members of the squad, as well as the disguised Tsurara and the onmyouji Yura.
Founder and president of the Kiyojūji Paranormal Investigation Squad. When he was younger he used to discredit the existence of youkai, but after being rescued by Rikuo's night form, his goal is now the opposite.
Rikuo's neighbor and childhood friend. She doesn't know that Rikuo is indeed the grandson of Nurarihyon. She doesn't like youkai because she finds them scary. Ironically, she often finds herself involved in supernatural incidents. Kana finds out Rikuo's double nature during the Hyaku Monogatari arc.
One of Rikuo's classmembers and Saori's best friend. When her grandmother got sick she prayed for her health to Senba (the deity whom her grandmother has prayed to since childhood) and unluckily got cursed by Sodemogi... But she was rescued by Kurotabo and Senba.
- Action Survivor: Not particularly strong or skilful yet she manages to survive lots of horrible encounters with youkai.
- Cat Eyes: She is noted by several characters to have this.
- Cat Smile
- Designated Victim: Dramatic variant. She gets attacked by youkai more often than any other member of the Kiyo Cross Squad.
- Genre Savvy: All that time with Yura made her capable of surviving during the Hundred Tales Arc...at least before she got caught again.
- Nice Girl: She is a kind and nice girl. When she was accidentally gropped by Kuro, she understood it was an accident and defended him.
- Rescue Romance: She has been rescued by Kurotabou two times, and she certainly has a little crush towards him.
- Weirdness Magnet: She can't even pray for her sick grandmother without some weird youkai attacking her!
- You Gotta Have Green Hair: Which is weird since she is a human.
One of Rikuo's classmates and Natsumi's closest friend.
One of Rikuo's classmates. A talented soccer player with a huge crush on Tsurara.
The premiere onmyouji
house that protects the seal on Kyoto, they exorcise yōkai for a living. Their bloodline was cursed by Hagoromo Gitsune so that most of the males die an early death. For that reason, members from the branch families are frequently adopted into the main house.
A young but very talented onmyōji. She is sent by her family to Ukiyoe Town as part of her training to inherit the headship of the Keikain House. She attends school with Rikuo and the other members of the Kiyojūji Paranormal Investigation Squad. She finds out that Rikuo is Nurarihyon's grandson at the beginning of the Kyoto arc and helps him against the Kyoto youkai and the Gokadoin House
Yura's older brother. He was once a potential candidate for the leadership of the Keikain household. He gives the Nura Clan some assistance against the Hundred Tales clan and the Gokadoin House.
He acts and travels with Ryūji, and they are able to attack in tandem. He was Yura's childhood friend, but now he seems like a completely different person. He sees yōkai as a force of evil, has even greater talent than Yura, and is like a robot in that he doesn't show emotion.
He's a member of the Yaso branch of the Keikain House and the guardian of the first Kyoto seal at Nijō Castle. He's one of the most talented onmyōji and his a master craftsman of spirit blades. He was once a potential candidate for the leadership of the Keikain household, but Yura was designated in his place. He confronts Hagoromo Gitsune alongside fellow onmyōji Pato and Masatsugu, but they are defeated. Akifusa is then possessed by the youkai Minagoroshi Jizou and is used to lead the attack on the second seal. Fortunately, Yura frees him using Hagun. After the Nue returns to hell, Rikuo asks him to forge a sword stronger than Nenekirimaru.
13th Head of the Keikain family and Yura's ancestor. He fought alongside Nurarihyon against Hagoromo Gitsune 400 years ago. He's returned thanks to the power of the Hagun as a spirit and is helping Keikain and the Nura clan against Hagoromo Gitsune once again.
- Affectionate Nickname: Calls Nurarihyon Nura-chan.
- Back from the Dead: Unlike the other ancestors he retains a human form and can't act without being ordered by Yura. Though he does disappear if Yura should become tired.
- The Gadfly: Doesn't have any problems teasing Yura.
- Humble Hero
- It Was a Gift: Allows Nurarihyon to keep the Nenekirimaru. Though he does expect him to return it in the future since it is a onmyōji weapon.
- Necromancer: Like Yura he can use Hagun. Him learning it is what allowed him to become the Head and set the rule in place that the Heads can only be those who can use Hagun.
- Nice Guy
- Sealed Evil in a Can: He has sealed away several powerful youkai to create a powerful barrier that prevented youkai from invading Kyoto. Two of which are Tsuchigumo and Gashadokuro.
- Spirit Advisor
- The Gift
Onmyouji that are descended from Abe No Seimei. They loyally follow their ancestor's will and continue his work on earth. They're also immortal and have worked from the shadows to keep the country safe for Seimei's eventual return.Encho allied with them before betraying the Hyaku Monogatari clan.
Tropes Associated with Gokadoin House
The Nue/ Abe no Seimei
A very powerful ayakashi, he was the past leader of the Kyoto youkai. Now Hagoromo Gitsune is trying to resurrect him. His real name is Abe no Seimei, both the greatest onmyouji from the Heain Period and a sorcerer of black magic. Looking for a way to live forever, he convinced his mother, Hagoromo Gitsune, to give birth to him repeatedly.
- A God Am I: He says so himself to justify his actions.
- Antagonistic Offspring: To Hagoromo Gitsune.
- Back from the Dead: And he prepared it centuries ago.
- Big Bad: Although he overthrows his mother for the position, in truth, he and the next Big Bad manipulated her resurrection to their benefit and therefore is the real main villain in the series.
- Black Eyes of Crazy/Black Eyes of Evil: Has these for his reincarnation.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: After his resurrection, his hair becomes blonde, and his actions are noticeably eviler.
- Came Back Wrong: His new body starts decaying right after being resurrected.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Does this to Tsuchigumo and Rikuo upon his resurrection.
- Dark Messiah: For the Kyoto yokai and the Gokadoin House.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Subverted. See Ungrateful Bastard below.
- Ironically his descent into villainy started when seeing his mother was severely wounded/killed by humans.
- Evil Weapon: He is the one who currently wields Maou's Hammer, in accordance with the deal struck between him and it's original wielder Sanmoto Gorouzaemon.
- Expy: Of Aizen, right down to stopping The Hero's blade with a single finger.
- Fetus Terrible: Talking to his mother from her womb.
- Freudian Excuse: Shown then defied upon his resurrection since he casts his mother, the one whose death started him on his Start of Darkness to hell.
- Gravity Sucks: Due to his use of astronomy combined with omyojutsu, he can control the planets movements to cause strong gravitational forces.
- Half-Human Hybrid: His father, Abe no Yasuna, was a human.
- Hellish Pupils: Has pentagrams for eyes.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: Abe no Seimei is a well recorded historical figure. Although his life was surrounded by legends, he was always considered a wise man and one of the good guys.
- Jerk Ass
- Kick the Dog: Sending his mother to hell after she successfully resurrects him.
- Light Is Not Good: Associates himself with heavenly objects, but definitely not a good person.
- Manipulative Bastard: To Sanmoto, a masterful Manipulative Bastard himself and his own mother.
- The Man Behind The Woman: To Hagoromo Gitsune.
- Naked on Arrival: After he is reborn.
- Oedipus Complex: Inverted While his feelings for his father are unknown, he definitely has a love turned hate thing with his mother.
- Physical God: Having the best usage of omyojutsu to use planets to cause gravity pulls and the blood of one of the strongest youkai qualifies you for this. Especially if you beat Tsuchigumo, referred to as a force of natural disaster without a sweat.
- Rapunzel Hair: Blonde.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: He is reborn inside Hagoromo Gitsune.
- Sinister Minister: Technically an omiyoji, but still counts.
- Start of Darkness: Shown, then defied.
- Self-Made Orphan: Tried this by sending his mother to hell, but she came back 40+ chapters later.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: He was very mad that humans killed his mother which makes his offing of his mother all the more jarring.
- Ungrateful Bastard: The first thing he does after being reborn is toss his mother, who has endured countless reincarnations, into hell.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Thought it takes a while to catch up to him, betraying her turned out to be one of his biggest mistakes. She later returns, understandably less than pleased with him, and proves important in bringing about his death.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: Originally he wanted to find a way to become immortal to create a perfert world for humans and youkai. Seeing his mother nearly being killed by humans caused him to come to the conclusion that Humans Are the Real Monsters and decided to create a perfect world only for youkai.
- The Worf Effect: Does this to Tsuchigumo and Rikuo, as well as the Nura Clan in the anime adaptation.
- Would Hit a Girl: He'd send his own mother to hell!
Abe no Yoshihira
"Father, I will fulfill my role. Show me the magnificent world you wish to create!"
Seimei's son and second Gokadoin head (they count Seimei as the first head). Calm and collected, he cares about his fellow Gokadoin, although he will do whatever sacrifices are needed to fulfill his father's goal.
Abe no Orochi
The third Gokadoin head. A woman with the power to summon giant snakes from the sky.
Abe no Ariyuki
The fourth leader of the Gokadoin. He has the appearance of a kid, but he's very powerful. He is frequently seen together with Enchō, even saving the latter from being fully absorbed by the revived Sanmoto Gorōzaemon.
The sixth leader of the Gokadoin House. She ruled the family during the Sengoku period. She can control other people thanks to her powers.
The seventh leader of the Gokadoin House. A master of barriers that always wears a mask.
The ninth leader of the Gokadoin House. He served during the troubled times of the Bakumatsu. Considers himself the most powerful Gokadoin.
The eleventh leader of the Gokadoin House. He ends fighting Tamazuki.
A member of the Gokadoin House living in Mount Osore.
- Knight Templar: He only helped Akifusa to create the new Nenekirimaru because he didn't think it would end up in the hands of a youkai.
- Necromancer: He can raise the dead by using the spirits on Mount Osore.
- Sinister Scythe: His weapon of choice. Very big and very sinister.
- You Got To Have Pink Hair: Official art reveals him to have this.
Unaffiliated Humans and Youkai
The Youkai World's Official Secretary. She roams the countryside, collecting whatever bit of youkai history she can.
- The Historian: She is the number one authority when it comes to youkai history. Even with a small amount of information, she is able to create books filled with words and pictures.
A young woman who resides on Mount Osore. She is an itako, mediums with the ability to commune with dead spirits.
- The Empath: She tells Akifusa to take a break from forging the Nenekirimaru, as the area they are in has the highest concentration of Fear on Mount Osore and she's worried that he'll suffer like the blacksmiths before him if he doesn't. Also, during Rikuo's battle with Taisei, she heard the voices emanating from the Nenekirimaru.
- Multicolored Hair: Dark pink and black.
- Willing Channeler: She can allow a departed spirit to inhabit her body for a while. Hidemoto Keikain is summoned this way, when Ryuuji wanted to urgently speak with him concerning Seimei's "purification ritual".