A 16-year-old boy who is currently in his second year of high school. On his way to school one day, Kenichi meets a girl named Miu, and the two soon become friends. At the start of high school, Kenichi joins the school's karate club, hoping to become less weak, but he is forced to do menial chores and is used as a punching bag. One day, he finally stands up to a hulking student, and the two agree to a match in which the loser will quit the club. With Miu's help, Kenichi manages to win, but he quits the club anyway. He joins the Ryozanpaku dojo, which Miu's grandfather nominally runs, and begins an intense training regime in several different types of martial arts.
Kenichi is kind, compassionate, thoughtful, and moral to a fault. He is against violence and studies martial arts to protect others, and he adheres to a strict code of morals, which includes a refusal to hit women. Because of his kindness and empathy, Kenichi has made many friends, most of whom are former enemies.
- Accidental Pervert: His sparring partner and one of his masters are tremendously well-endowed. You do the math.
- And then there's some of Ma Kensei's more... unorthodox training.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Despite having a serious hate-on for Shou Kano and having been in a bloody, vicious, all-out fight with him only moments before, he still displays sincere regret and sadness when Shou is fatally wounded protecting Miu, then tells Kenichi that it's up to him to protect her from now on.
- Babies Ever After: At the end of the manga, we see Kenichi writing the end of his story with a lot of photos in his desk, including one of a little girl who looks just like Miu with Kenichi's hair color.
- Badass Normal: His masters blatantly tell him that he has no talent, but make up for it by all-but beating the lessons into him. The results have been staggeringly successful, as attested by out-classing Berserker.
- Battle Couple: With Miu, sort of. Actually is since they marry in the end.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: In the beginning Kenichi had lots of Imagine Spots where he defeated all his masters, come future arc's where there are times it looks like his masters might lose he becomes a nervous wreck. When it looks like Apachai has been defeated and died he falls hard into Heroic BSOD same for when Shigure gets captured when protecting him.
- Berserk Button: Go ahead, call him a coward. We'll wait.
- Hurting or threatening to harm his friends, ESPECIALLY Miu...
- Go ahead and insult his masters. I dare you.
- Beware the Nice Ones: A meek young man who enjoys reading and gardening. He just wants to be friends, even if you're a member of an Ancient Conspiracy dedicated to the practice of martial art centered on kill your opponents. Push one of his Berkserk Buttons and he will fight like a rabid badger.
- Big Brother Instinct: Messing with his little sister is a VERY bad idea.
- Big Damn Heroes: Has several moments of it throughout the series.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Boring but Practical: Kenichi doesn't have the kind of advanced moves or styles that many of his opponents have, and while he has his awesome moments, strictly speaking he's just using the basics of martial arts. However, this is precisely the kind of martial artist Bruce Lee stated was the most fearsome.
- Eventually averted when he starts relying on Ryūsui Seikūken and Mubyoshi. Though Mubyoshi is just a combination of basic punching techniques.
- Charles Atlas Super Power: As a result of training at Ryōzanpaku.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Miu.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: While his sights are firmly set on Miu, that hasn't stopped him from unknowingly picking up a small harem of interested girls, including Izumi, Renka, Raichi, and possibly even Shigure.
- Combat Pragmatist: Since he receives training from a variety of masters who specialize in different fighting styles, Kenichi can often mix his fighting moves up a little bit to throw off his opponents, most of whom are trained more traditionally and mostly specialize only in one or two forms of fights. For example, in his fight against Takeda the boxer, since Takeda is trained to fight with his fists and upper body, Kenichi utilizes low kicks to attack his legs since Takeda wouldn't be expecting that (since that would be illegal in a boxing match), and therefore wouldn't be concentrating on protecting his legs.
- Covert Pervert: He does buy stuff from Ma Kensei.
- Cowardly Lion: Scared stiff more often than not, though it won't stop him fighting. It's his master's training that really scares him. Through the wonders of character development, this is less and less the case.
- Declaration of Protection: He has sworn to just about everyone in earshot that he'll become strong enough to protect his Love Interest, Miu.
- Determinator: Unconsciousness won't stop him, by the end of the D of D tournament. In fact, that just worsens your chance of keeping him down, since he then surpasses the speed of thought and perfectly demonstrates the techniques that (nigh literally) have been beaten into him by Ryouzanpaku.
- Expecting Someone Taller: No one he fights can believe he's as good as he is because of his looks and general demeanor.
- Giving Up the Ghost: Pretty much every occurrence of this in the series comes from him, mostly from his sparring sessions with Apachai.
- The Fettered: He doesn't fight because we wants to be the strongest, or because he enjoys fighting; he fights to protect others. And if you're the person others need protection from, you will find that he is much, much stronger than he initially seemed.
- Fight Magnet: Justified by Niijima in chapter 5: After Kenichi defeats Karate Club bully Daimonji, he attracts the attention of the Karate Club captain Chukuba; after he defeats Chukuba he attracts the attention of Ragnarok… and after he defeats Ragnarok, he attracts the attention of Yami. God only knows what will happen when he defeats their disciples.
- Forgotten First Meeting: When Kenichi was a kid, he and Ryuto met Miu. After seeing Miu defeat the thug trying to assault a kind old lady, both Ryuto and Kenichi vowed to become strong, but Kenichi forgot the fact and that it was Miu who traded him the Yin Yang badge he carries on the neck of his shirt all the time for a cat badge, as a remainder of said promise.
- The Hero: Kenichi is reconstruction of this trope, particularly the shounen fighting hero. He is almost as terrified of his training as he is of the antagonists arrayed against him. Initially all he wants is a well-tended garden, a well-stocked library, and Miu. This (rapidly) expands to include the ability to protect the ones he loves and fight the evils others ignore. Turns out he'll have to defeat a whole gang of Badasses and an Ancient Conspiracy to achieve most of these things, and defeat his master for the other. Good thing he is a hard working and determined young man, whose aforementioned master (or rather, five of them) have every intention of turning him into, well, the mightiest disciple.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: No thanks to Niijima, who often acts like J Jonah Jameson and either gives misinformation or else exaggerates Kenichi's wins, making Kenichi seem more like a common thug than a guy who wants to protect people.
- Human Pack Mule: To Miu whenever she goes shopping for groceries. This, of course, doubles as a part of his Training from Hell, and his mentors often force him to carry some extra weights on those occasions, just for the sake of training his strength and endurance.
- Iron Butt Monkey: He's one during training with the various masters. Averted during actual fights with bad guys.
- Kung-Fu Clairvoyance: Courtesy of Seikuken.
- Love at First Punch: Unintentional but still. His meeting with Miu is related to this trope but not quite it, since neither have Jerkass tendencies, and it was her attempt to befriend him that got him to notice her attractiveness. Plus, the real reason she did so is because she recognized him from their childhood.
- Made of Iron: Basically his only specialty. He can take a beatdown like no other.
- Martial Pacifist
- Memento MacGuffin: The Yin Yang badge he carries on the neck of his shirt all the time. It was Miu who traded it for a cat badge with him years ago.
- Morality Chain: To Miu.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Much stronger than his slim physique implies.
- Gradually moves away from this later on by showing his development, when Kenichi begins to show a physique just as ripped, if not more so, than most of his generation of fighters.
- Kenichi indeed gets extremely muscular: he's just still rather short. Compare to Edward Elric of Full Metal Alchemist.
- It is stated in the anime that Akisame's training alters the slow twitch/fast twitch muscle ratio in Kenichi's body, creating a lean look, with very strong muscles.
- Narrator All Along
- Nice Guy: Would MUCH prefer reading and tending flowers than what he's called upon almost daily to do.
- Not So Weak: One of the earlier thugs that beat him down got grabbed on the ankle before kicking him off. The thug then pulled up his pant-leg, revealing a bruise in the shape of Kenichi's hand. Kenichi has since grown much, much stronger.
- Oblivious to Love: Not as of 423. He finally makes his feelings known to Miu, revealing that it's not so much a case of this as it is Single-Target Sexuality.
- Ordinary High-School Student: When fighting Tanimoto, he thinks something along the lines of "My name is Kenichi Shirahama, a normal high-schooler that loves reading books and gardening... so why is it that I'm now fighting on the roof of a speeding bus!?"
- Pointless Bandaid: Chikage tends to call him "Bandaid", because of it.
- Terror Hero: Type 5, thanks largely to Niijima. Falls into this trope in episode 24 of Season 1 when some thugs try to bully the drama club into giving up their large room so they can use it for their club. After Kenichi saves the drama club president and announces who he is, the thug's minions begin worry about his presence and exaggerate his reputation a bit, such as being able to take on a bear. However, it's enough to make them run away.
- Happens again when he, Takeda, and Ukita save the Shinpaku Alliance members from the rank and file Ragnarok thugs. Niijima once again greatly exaggerates what Kenichi actually did, and causes the remaining thugs to run away due to his power.
- Thanks for the Mammary: How Kenichi broke Miu out of her Unstoppable Rage. Subverted in Chapter 459 where he tries to pull it off again to Miu to get her out of her Brainwashed and Crazy state, but he still gets a brutal beat down in the end.
- This Loser Is You: In the beginning.
- Took a Level in Badass: Took hundreds. A few volumes, and he can drop his former tormentors. A few arcs, and he's accidentally hospitalizing them by the dozen. All thanks to the sheer fortitude to survive Ryozanpaku.
- To put things into perspective. At the start of the series he was terrified stiff of guys with small knives. Or just guys who wanted to beat him up. Now he can even take on guys armed with huge swords and firearms.
- Training from Hell: Driving Kenichi into the ground and scaring his reflexes into gold are standard for the masters of Ryouzanpaku, but the most hellish comes from Koetsuji, who builds simple and complex machines to wring the skill from his disciple's bones. Some intrinsic consequences from failing these machines include (but are not limited to only): burning aliave, electrocution, being trapped for hours in one position, and impalement. If they didn't know what they were doing (or if Apachai hadn't learned to hold back), he would be long gone by now. Since they do, Kenichi can actually consider it "training" and gain immense results...though he did actually die once or twice. Good thing two of his masters are also medical geniuses.
- Kenichi grows to like it, going so far as to increase his regimen while his masters are absent in Chapter 423. Try to imagine the Kenichi from 200 chapters ago doing that.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Kenichi's earlier battles were based more on getting a single hit on his foes, which his inhuman strength gained from training at Ryōzanpaku would turn into a devastating, one-hit KO, than actual combat ability. Akisame even addresses this shortly after Kenichi starts learning actual techniques.
- Unusual Eyebrows
- Warrior Therapist: His advances in the Sei style have offered him some very telling insights on some of his opponents.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Miu.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: This attitude angers several female opponents and wins the affection of some others.
Miu Fūrinji / Bulu Indah
A 16-year-old girl who attends the same school as Kenichi and is currently in her second year. She is the granddaughter of Hayato Fūrinji, the leader of Ryōzanpaku Dojo. Despite being attractive, smart, athletic, and kind, Miu is very socially inept, to the point of having no friends before meeting Kenichi and practically no social life. Miu's social ineptness stems from her upbringing, during which she never had any time to make friends, and also from her home life, where she is both maid and book keeper for a bunch of eccentric adults.
Miu has proven herself to be an immensely skilled fighter. While her exact martial arts disciplines have not been stated, she has shown knowledge of several styles. Her fighting style is graceful and fluid, taking advantage of her agility, coordination, and flexibility, and makes heavy use of kicks. Her skills have been honed to the point where she will reflexively throw anyone who sneaks up behind her.
- Action Girl: The first of a long list
- Action Girlfriend: To Kenichi.
- Badass Adorable: More so as a child, but she is still pretty adorable as she kicks ass
- Badass Back: Do not approach her from the back or you find out why.
- Badass in Distress: And a victim of Mind Manipulation.
- Battle Couple: With Kenichi, sort of. She started out protecting or looking out for him since she was much stronger in the beginning. Played straighter when he improved enough to be equal to her level, or close to it.
- Beauty Mark
- Betty and Veronica: Betty to Renka's Veronica.
- Berserker Rage: A result of her not being able to control her immense Dou Ki. This ends when she finally masters her Ki.
- Beware of the Nice Ones: One of the nicest people, but also one of the strongest disciple fighters so making her angry tends to be a bad idea.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Bilingual Bonus: Bulu Indah means 'Beautiful Feather' in Malay/Indonesian.
- Blood Knight: FORCEFULLY mind you, but this applies.
- Born Winner: Miu is the descendant of a tribe of people who specifically breed themselves to create powerful offspring with exceptional martial arts talent. Not to mention her father is the son of the World's Strongest Man, as well as one of the most powerful martial artists in the series.
- Braids of Action: Zigzagged. Initially, she let her hair down before fighting. After Ragnarok, she dons the braids and lets her hair down in school.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Even after officially breaking free of Junazard's control, she has a hidden amount of blood lust unlocked as a result.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Kenichi.
- Clingy Jealous Girl:
- Clothing Damage: Often.
- When she attacks Silkwat and he counters her attacks before knocking her out, that skin-tight fighting costume of hers is so shredded that she might as well be naked. She must paint her underwear zones with spirit gum before putting it on—there's no other logical way enough bits of it could stay on sometimes!
- Whenever Kenichi imagines them in danger, he automatically pictures her that way.
- Clueless Dude Magnet: Besides Kenichi, other guys in the series are interested in her including Takeda, Ryuuto and Sho.
- Cuteness Proximity: To cats or anything cat-like.
- D-Cup Distress: Laments her size due to its interference with her martial arts. Probably doesn't help people call her "dairy cow."
- Don't Sneak Up On Me Like That: Don't ever touch her (and certainly don't grab her) from behind, or you will quickly end up on your back.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: After being kidnapped by Silkwat.
- Fan Service Pack: Her boobs and hips grow substantially in a very short time after she starts her second year at school. Handwaved as puberty, when she wonders how much bigger they will get. Then her breasts and hips got smaller right after Apachai's "death" event, the measurements seems to be the same as her early design.
- Feather Motif: Often drawn accompanied by ethereal feathers. See also Meaningful Name below.
- Forehead of Doom
- Forgotten First Meeting: She met Kenichi when they were kids. Miu apparently recognized him right away, but didn't feel the need to bring it up when they meet again.
- Form-Fitting Wardrobe: Even her school uniform and a blanket.
- Glass Cannon: While she's an exceptional martial artist and exceptionally hard to hit or even touch, she rarely can take more than a few hits before collapsing/ being unable to continue. This is played up in the anime so she won't join in a fight she could very easily win, but Kenichi would struggle with.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Look at her after she goes into Unstoppable Rage.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Only Kenichi rivals her in kindness.
- Heir to the Dojo: Raised by the leader of Ryozanpaku and trained by him.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Oh, no, she doesn't have that kind of feelings for Kenichi. He is just like a little brother, or a dog who lives in her house. Yet will become incredibly jealous the instant another girl announces her affections for him.
- Hero's Muse: Inspired Kenichi to take up Martial Arts.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Instant Expert: Miu can master techniques, training, and even whole styles in a very little amount of time, around a week.
- She also learned a workable amount of a new language in the same week.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- Lady of War: Grace and coordination; that's how she fights.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The light to Renka Ma's dark.
- Little Miss Badass: Routinely beating street thugs at the age of six.
- Male Gaze: Close ups of her chest and butt are a must.
- Martial Pacifist: Only fights for others and then will try to end it with the least damage to both her and her opponent.
- Meaningful Name: Her name means "beautiful wings" or "beautiful feathers". And as mentioned under Bilingual Bonus, Bulu Indah means "beautiful feather" in Malay/Indonesian.
- Ms. Fanservice: Bordering on outright hentai sometimes, particularly in ch. 445-447, on the tail end of Sakaki & Hongou's fight. And that's after several chapters of egregious Male Gaze on her spandex-clad body.
- Nice Girl
- Oblivious to Love: As of chapter 423, not oblivious. Indeed, she's far more aware of Kenichi's feelings for her than he realized.
- Parental Abandonment: Her mother died and her father is the leader of Yami.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: used as a way to dim her looks.
- Raised By Grandfather
- Sensual Spandex: Her fighting uniform.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: She is so beautiful that she had some social problems at her last school because of it (implied to be other girls bullying her). To that end, in her current school she puts on glasses and wears her hair in braids to make herself look plainer.
- Team Chef: She does all the cooking in the dojo.
- Team Mom: Runs the dojo with a kind smile... most of the time.
- Took a Level in Badass: Just when Kenichi had finally caught up in fighting and even surpassed her in Ki abilities. Silkwat Junazard kidnaps her and trains her in Silat which then causes her to have to begin training her Dou ki something her grandfather was hesitant to start do to the risk. She is now back to effortlessly curb stomping Kenichi.
- After the introduction of Rimi, Miu finally gets an enemy that pushes her to her limits, and it's during their final fight that Miu masters her Dou Ki.
- Unstoppable Rage: Its happened a few times.
- Vapor Wear: It's pretty obvious that she wears nothing under her spandex battle outfit.
- As Bulu, it doesn't seem as though Miu is wearing anything from the waist down except for those leg bands.
- Verbal Tic: "Desu wa"
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: When Kenchi was still a novice martial artist this was more prominent. In that period, Ma Kensei actually pointed out to her that this was not good, because this deprived Kenichi of gaining combat experience. After Kenichi took enough levels in badass, this became less prominent, but she actually never stopped being protective of him. Note also that her style of fighting is much more aggressive than Kenichi's.
- Weak, but Skilled: Her fighting style is based on speed, grace and coordination rather than pure strength note All these combined with her vast experience make her one of the, if not the, best desciple level fighter(s).
- Will They or Won't They?: With Kenichi. They do. See Childhood Friend Romance above.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child: It's how the reader is shown that she's not quite under Silkwat's control. Is also very reluctant to fight with Chikage.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She cleans and cooks for the dojo and makes sure it doesn't run out of money. In fact, the grand master mentions that they wouldn't live so well without Miu's care.
Voiced by: Hiroshi Arikawa (JP, TV anime), Yuzuru Fujimoto (JP, OVA), R Bruce Elliott
Miu's grandfather and the undefeated elder of the Ryōzanpaku Dojo. He is very tall, very muscular and possesses tremendous vitality despite his advanced age. Hayato is a kind old man but still possesses a reckless streak and can be very arrogant, the former of which is shown by his tendency to spend the dojo's money and to get carried away whenever he has a chance to showcase his strength.
Hayato is considered by many to be the most powerful man alive. Even when he uses only 0.0002% of his power, keeps his eyes closed, and splits his concentration and body movements, Akisame comments that he still is the most powerful man in the world.
- Awesome by Analysis: He invented a martial technique specialized in this.
- Badass Beard
- Badass Grandpa
- Big Good: He has titles like "The Invincible Superman", "He who has no Enemies", and "The Strongest Man in the World", and has earned every one. It's a good thing he's on Kenichi's side.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Blatant Lies: I AM THE MYSTERIOUS 20 YEAR OLD, GARYUU X!
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Even disciples can pull superhuman feats. But Hayato? This old man can run on water, throw bombs huger than he is high into the air, and move so fast a camera slowed down too 1/1000 can barely see a blur of him! That's nearly mach 30 and he wasn't even trying!
- Cool Old Guy
- Engagement Challenge: The only way Kenichi can get his consent on dating Miu, is to defeat HIM.
- Form-Fitting Wardrobe: Kimonos don't work like that!
- Heroic Build: Well over 6 feet tall, made of solid muscle, and doesn't look his actually age.
- Impossible Task: When he says that no one can date Miu unless they can defeat him in combat, what he means to say is that he doesn't want anyone dating Miu.
- Large and in Charge: Biggest master in the dojo.
- Loin Cloth: His swimwear.
- Martial Pacifist
- My Greatest Failure: Chapter 430 reveals that his inability to prevent Saiga's Face-Heel Turn is this for him.
- Old Master: He's actually taught Kenichi only a few lessons, but each has resulted in monumental improvements. Basically, He's the one who brings together all the stuff the other masters have been pounding into Kenichi on a daily basis.
- One-Man Army: Hell, he is a MONSTER, he fought alone with an entire American military base and WON!
- And throwing more people or heavy artillery at him is a bad idea, since he can use people as freakin' shurikens, and has special moves that he uses specifically to take out TANKS!!!
- Overprotective Grandad: Comes with a Crowning Moment of Funny in Chapter 423 where Miu has acknowledged Kenichi's feelings and given him a kiss on the cheek...only for the Elder to show up at the front gate, expelling massive quantities of killing intent (so much that Kensei complains that he'll break the doors with his blood lust), and all five of Ryozanpaku's masters desperately trying to hold him back.
- Ever since Chapter 423, he's pretty much commanded Apachai and Shigure to "discreetly" chaperone Kenichi and Miu, for their protection (and to make sure Kenichi keeps it platonic).
- In Chapter 430, he decrees that the Fuurinji relationship rules permit nothing past hand-holding and the curfew starts at 4pm.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: His identity as Ganryu-X is a simple plastic Metal Heroes mask and doing Kamen Rider poses.
- Red Baron: "The Man Without Enemies"
- Walking the Earth: Appears to have done this both in his youth and during Miu's early years. Arguably still doing it given his semi-frequent "walks" that keep him away from Ryozanpaku for days on end.
- World's Strongest Man: Is called as such on several occasions, when he isn't being called the Invincible Superman.
- Apparently, using 0.0002% of his power and closing his eyes STILL leaves him the "most powerful being on this planet".
A 38-year-old philosophical Jujitsu master who was the first master willing to train Kenichi. He is an old friend of Miu's father, Saiga. Despite his seemingly small physique, he is known for having muscles built to perfection. He also has very good insight, often knowing if people are troubled or hiding something; he sometimes even knows what a person is thinking, which scares Kenichi.
- The Ace: Not only is he a Martial Arts Master, but he's also considered a genius in multiple academic fields, can bring people back to life with his medical knowledge, is said to have "the perfect body", is always calm and composed, is the main breadwinner of the group, manages to turn a group of school children into emotionless fighting machines in an afternoon, and can outsmart any of the other masters (Kensei spent YEARS using a false Rock-Paper-Scissors pattern until he really needed to win, and Akisame saw through it immediately). If there is something he isn't good at, he'll learn it almost instantly. If that doesn't happen, he learns instantly by watching somebody else do the same.
- Badass Mustache: He actually argues about whether or not it is with James Shiba.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's one of the more cultured and approachable Ryozanpaku masters, and can usually keep his cool in stressful situations. If you do anything that could potentially harm Kenichi or any innocent bystanders, though, he'll show you no mercy.
- Catch Phrase: "Naive!"
- The Comically Serious: Especially when green peppers are involved.
- Cruel Mercy: As all Ryozanpaku Masters he won't kill his opponent no matter the circumstances. Some of the stuff he does to his opponents however. Really it would be Mercy Kill to kill those poor souls.
- Cultured Badass: There's a reason he's called the "Jujitsu Philosopher."
- Does Not Like Green Peppers: Doubles as his Weaksauce Weakness. Kenichi and Miu manage to seal him in his room for a few hours by dangling one in the hallway.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Low-level, but he loves to invent new
torture training devices.
- Genius Bruiser: So much so that some visitors to the dojo seemed to know of him as a master artist and philosopher instead of a martial arts master.
- Martial Medic: Started out as a notable chiropractor thanks to jujitsu's knowledge of joints & bones, but becomes an Open Heart Dentist by the D of D arc, capable of performing miracles with a borrowed knife, needle & thread, and booze.
- Martial Pacifist
- Muscles Are Meaningless: While much slimmer than some of the other masters, he has built his body to perfection via Art Major Biology.
- Prophet Eyes: Subverted in that Akisame is clearly not blind (or if he is, it would come off as a major asspull at this point).
- The Reliable One: There is a reason why he was chosen to be Kenichi's primary trainer. Always cool and collected, rather serious, a good organizer, and possesses the best technological and medical knowledge of all Ryozanpaku masters. Compared to him, Hayato (the eldest and strongest and the owner of the dojo) sometimes looks like a mischievous teenager.
- Unusual Eyebrows: It's like a lightning symbol drawn sideways.
- Warrior Poet
A 29-year-old master of karate who claims to hold 100 dan. Sakaki is a very intimidating person even when he tries not to be, something that he does not seem to realize and is put off by whenever someone points it out. He has a kind and caring nature and is a very bad liar, which is shown when Akisame asks why he suddenly decided to teach Kenichi a fighting technique, and Sakaki replied that it was the anniversary of the creation of judo.
He is an incredibly powerful martial artist. He his well-versed in multiple forms of karate and possess superhuman abilities, most evident in the fact that he can survive a fall from one of the top floors of a tall building without any noticeable injury.
A 28-year-old master of Muay Thai and is known as the "Death God" of the Muay Thai underworld fighting circuit. Despite this fearsome reputation and his incredible size and strength, Apachai is very kind and gentle. He enjoys playing with children and animals and is very childlike himself. He has a habit of saying the phrase "apa" when he speaks and sometimes yells it while training or fighting.
Apachai has been trained in martial arts since he was very young. He is extraordinarily strong, able to shatter stone statues and kick down trees without any apparent difficulty. Despite his incredible size, he is blindingly fast, able to dodge bullets while fighting.
- The Berserker
- Beware the Nice Ones: One of the genuinely kindest characters in the series. Also one of only two masters known for a fact as capable of giving the Elder a challenge in combat.
- Big Eater: If Apachai isn't playing board games with Honoka or berserking at training dummies, he's most likely eating. Given a slightly uncomfortable twist when it's revealed that he was often denied food as punishment or to keep him "on edge" by the man who owned him, before Agaard took charge of him.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Blank White Eyes: Used for both comedy and badassery, which is just about all his appearances. Apachai's face is rarely drawn in full detail.
- Boring but Practical: His finishing moves are APANCH, CHAIKICK, and The Punch You Don't Let Children See.
- Determinator: Chapter 406: the guy came back from the dead in a way that would put the Terminator to shame and delivered a God-Slaying Punch while being half-dead just to protect his beloved disciple.
- The Ditz
- Genius Ditz: He has excellent knowledge when it comes to animals.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Has actually killed Kenichi once or twice...
- Friend to All Children and Animals
- Genre Savvy: He has his moments.
- Gentle Giant
- Idiot Savant: Apachai is a muay thai genius, but he's nearly clueless about most social norms.
- Living Legend: Leaves behind at least two legends of a Gentle Giant that saved the day and then was never heard of again.
- Martial Pacifist
- Mundane Made Awesome: He recently went through a hellish training to learn to hold back while doing housework so Miu could go to the amusement park. No, really.
- Normally, I Would Be Dead Now: It was looking pretty grim for a while there, but he did eventually survive his fight with Agaard, thanks to Akisame and Kensei.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Are you really going to pick a fight with a guy called the Death God of the Muay Thai Underworld?
- No Social Skills
- Pokémon Speak: Apachai does this when he gets worked up.
- Red Baron: "Grim Reaper of Muay Thai".
- Speaks Fluent Animal: When Nijima goes missing, kidnapped by Ragnarok, Apachai talks to pigeons for information. It works.
- Third-Person Person
- Tyke Bomb: Seems to have been a mild example when he was young.
- Why Did It Have To Be Planes?
A 22-year-old weapons master. Shigure is a very mysterious person. She speaks very little and has a habit of falling asleep on the rafters of the ceiling and also traverses atop them more than she uses the floor. She has little knowledge of most things outside of weapons and has trouble interacting with normal people due to her blunt personality and the fact that she always carries a weapon. She has a pet mouse named Tochūmaru.
While the youngest master of Ryozanpaku, Shigure has repeatedly proven herself a formidable person to face. As the successor to the Kōsaka-Style, Shigure has remarkable mastery of all forms of weapon combat, earning her the title of "The Prodigy of Sword and Mistress of all Weaponry". Despite her lithe frame, she is very strong and can cut weapons made of metal to pieces using something with a dull edge, such as a spoon. She once cut a cannon off of a tank and then jammed it through its side.
- Absolute Cleavage: She assumes this for the heroic side sometimes.
- Absurd Cutting Power: Doesn't matter if it's a sword she's using or a wooden rice spoon—anything that Shigure can hold will cut.
- The Ace
- Action Girl
- Adorkable: Since she's a bit awkward socially, she tends to quietly puff up and congratulate herself when she says something that sounds kind of cool.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She is tall, beautiful, dark-haired and acts very calm and serious.
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Biker
- Badass Longcoat: Usually when she's travelling.
- Biker Babe
- Blade Reflection: Shigure turns the blade reflection to practical use, using it to see what is behind her. Her only blind spot is the part of the blade reflecting her face.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Clothing Damage: The cause, and sometimes, the recipient.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Innocent with regards to many things.
- Collector of the Strange: She collects Cool Swords to prevent her father's work from being used for murder.
- The Comically Serious
- Cool Big Sis: Not by blood, but tends to act like this to Miu and Kenichi, and by extension, the Shinpaku Alliance.
- Case in point, after a bummed out Kenichi is 'banned' from training for a while for daring to take a Weapons Master-class opponent head-on, she has her mouse guide him into the rafters to a listening cup so he can hear what the other masters ''really'' think of his latest display. Cue another When She Smiles moment.
- Damsel out of Distress: Gets captured by the Master weapon users of Yami.... and quickly breaks out, several times.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She's the slowest to warm up to Kenichi. Eventually she becomes his Cool Big Sis and it's been hinted that she's probably starting to develop a kind of crush on Kenichi.
- Dramatic Ellipsis
- Full-Frontal Assault: Seems perfectly relaxed fighting nude when attacked at an onsen.
- Fundoshi: In her swimwear.
- Godiva Hair
- Implausible Fencing Powers: In chapter 412 she was seen carving shapes into a waterfall.
- Improbable Aiming Skills
- Improbable Weapon User/Improvised Weapon: She is already invincible with only a newspaper. Or a wooden spoon. Or a hair ribbon. Or a mouthful of needles.
- The Yami put her in special restraints—basically embedding her hands and feet in solid masses of a specially fortified resin—because they didn't dare let her get hold of handcuffs.
- Lady of War
- Male Gaze
- Martial Pacifist
- Mini Kimono of Power
- Ms. Fanservice: Most epically chapters 283-285 & 387.
- Multi-Melee Master: Her nickname is The Prodigy of Sword and Mistress of all Weaponry.
- Ninja: Not actually a ninja but she might as well be. Her short kimono & fishnet outfit scream kunoichi, as does her choice of typically ninja weapons (swords, manriki-gusari, shuriken, and kunai) and her habit of setting weapon traps. She also walks on ceilings, but she does this by gripping the beams with her toes rather than magic tricks. Oh, and sneaking in is one of her specialties.
- No Name Given: Her father never gave her a name. It was Akisame who gave her the name and he put her in the care of the Kosaka family.
- No Social Skills
- Not Good with People: She seems to get along better with her pet rat than with anyone else.
- Purple Eyes
- The Quiet One: Doesn't talk much but when she does it's very SLOW.
- Rapunzel Hair: When she lets it down it comes down to her hips.
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training: She spent her formative years training in the wilderness with her swordsmith father; though he did love her he was so absent-minded that he never even bothered to give her a name. In the present, Shigure is a formidable weapons master, but has little knowledge of most things outside of weapons, lacks social graces and speaks very slowly.
- Sarashi: In her swimwear.
- Sexy Mentor
- Shameful Strip: She's captured and stripped by Yami, although they did it because they knew she can even turn clothing into weapons.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: She doesn't seem to mind changing clothes in front of Kenichi and doesn't even bother to lock the door to her room when she changes. However, she is keenly aware of Kensei Ma's lechery and generally foils his attempts to peep at every turn. When she's captured and stripped by Yami, she gets angry and calls them perverts.
- Sleep Walking: According to Sakaki.
- Slipknot Ponytail: She didn't have a weapon on her.
- Stealth Hi/Bye
- The Stoic: Partial subversion. Despite her general lack of expression, her emotions are almost comically obvious.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Icy to nearly everyone, even the other Masters. However, she's a very caring person and shows a warmer side of herself to those who are very close to her like her pet mouse Tochūmaru and eventually Kenichi.
- Talking in Your Sleep: According to Sakaki, her sleep talking is quite scary.
- The Tease: In Kenichi's case. These poses are proof of it.
- Tiny Girl, Huge Guys: To the other masters except Kensei.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: With Kensei and Apachai.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- Ultimate Blacksmith: She inherited her father's supreme skill at forging weapons.
- Unusual Eyebrows: They're like...caterpillars...or something.
- Vapor Wear: She never wears a bra.
- Verbal Tic: Has a habit of pausing whenever she...speaks.
- When She Smiles: Maybe a subversion. It's significant when she does, but unless it's meant for Kenichi, it isn't a very pretty smile.
- Zettai Ryouiki
A 41-year-old lecherous master of Chinese Kenpō. Kensei is a sly and perverted man, who tries to take pictures of attractive women, particularly Shigure and Miu. He often sells these pictures to Kenichi in the form of "data books", which usually turn out to be pictures of anything but the two of them. Ma seems to have a plethora of spying equipment at his disposal to aid him in such endeavors. In spite of his perverted and deceptive tendencies, he and Kenichi become quite close, forming a father-son-like bond.
Ma is a very experienced martial artist, having been trained since he was very young, and purportedly knows all martial arts indigenous to China. In spite of his size, he is very strong, able to destroy a small bridge with a single kick and to rend the flesh of Diego Carlo, a man said to possess a body hard as steel, with his bare hands. He is very agile, capable of jumping from atop one moving cars to another. Ma is also skilled in the field of medicine; he runs an acupuncture clinic and usually, along with Akisame, mends the wounds of Kenichi and the others.
Shigure's pet mouse. Tochūmaru is highly intelligent and a skilled fighter in his own right, able to take down (or at least intimidate) normal people.
- Badass Adorable: Tochūmaru seems to have a lot of the same skills Shigure does, just scaled down in power. At the very least, he's able to take down beings much larger than him. Shigure even says that he can handle any cat that tries to eat him.
- Big Eater: Tochūmaru apparently steals food and blames it on Apachai.
- Non-Human Sidekick: To Shigure, although he also sometimes helps Kenichi.
- Stealth Expert: He's basically a mouse with ninja skills. Being small, Tochūmaru can easily sneak into places unnoticed, which comes in handy.
Odin AKA Ryūto Asamiya , Flow
The leader of Ragnarok and childhood friend and rival of Kenichi. Also a member of YOMI
- Big Bad: In the anime he's the last guy Kenichi fights. He's also the toughest, and it takes several episodes for Kenichi to finally defeat him.
- Big Bad Friend: Was one of Kenichi's childhood friends.
- Black Eyes of Evil: After being revealed to be a part of Yami.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: The first to demonstrate the Roar-as-One technique, using explosive ki and contained ki together. It left him confined to a wheel chair, turned his hair white, and gave him one black-sclera'd eye.
- Evil Counterpart: Not evil, but Kenichi could have easily turned into Ryuto if he met the wrong master.
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: He was one of Kenichi's Childhood Friends.
- The Glasses Come Off: He is nearsighted, but once he has seen an opponent's style and rhythm, he can predict their moves and attack with a punch that never misses.
- Handicapped Badass: He's no less dangerous a fighter while in a wheelchair, managing to trap Freya's arms in its wheels.
- Heroic BSOD: Rimi's apparent death caused him to fall into a Berserker Rage, but afterwards he refuses to leave Rimi's body even when a brick wall is about to fall on him
- Kung-Fu Clairvoyance: Courtesy of Seikuken.
- Locked into Strangeness: His hair turned white after he used Roar-As-One.
- No Doubt The Years Have Changed Me
- Shout-Out: Ryuto has become like his mythological namesake. He has become crippled and has aged quite a bit after using his Dangerous Forbidden Technique, which mirrors Odin hanging himself upside down on the World Tree.
- The Stoic: Only after his last fight with Kenichi.
- Turns out he is quietly spying on YOMI and Yami.
- Throwing Off the Disability: He can fight at full force using Sei and Dou for 30 seconds
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Used to be even nicer than Kenichi. Then martial arts turned him cold, ruthless, and power hungry.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Has white hair now.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair: Until he used Roar-As-One.
Berserker AKA Shougo Kitsukawa
The Second Fist of Ragnarok. He rarely speaks and has a calm disposition. Berserker never studied martial arts; he simply has a natural talent for fighting. He is said to be the most fearsome fighter in Ragnarok. However, he is afraid to fight Odin, believing that the latter is much stronger than he is.
- The Berserker: Duh.
- Big Damn Villains: Saves Ryuuto and Rimi from a falling brick wall that was on fire... by punching it.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: More indifferent than Evil though.
- Blood Knight: Becomes more so the longer he fights because he isn't used to people lasting very long against him. Only a real challenge gets him going.
- Born Lucky: Able to keep up and surpass other fighters just on instinct alone, with no formal training.
- He's also just plain lucky, winning a card game after the deck was stacked against him.
- Bubblegum Popping: Loves his bubblegum so much that he is often introduced bubblegum first.
- The Dragon: At first.
- The Gift: So naturally talented at fighting that he rose to the second in command of Ragnarok without ever having had training, relying solely on street fighting tactics.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: No formal training. No need for formal training.
- The Stoic: Most of the time, Berserker is ironically stone-faced, but whenever he gets actually excited about a battle, he shows why he has the code-name.
- Took a Level in Badass: He was already pretty badass, but now he has been confirmed as one of Ogata's disciples. Training from Hell combined with The Gift...
- Unskilled, but Strong: Not only is he super strong, but his natural talent for fighting far exceeds everyone else's so much that he does not need to be trained in techniques. This is emphasized when he joins YOMI, as his master works to have him turn his 'unskilled' methods into his own self-created fighting style.
- Unstoppable Rage: Practically his fighting style, and thus the codename. The moment before he is defeated in the Ragnarok Arc, he is using his broken, snapped-in-the-wrong-way arm to try and land a blow on Hermit.
Freya AKA Kanname Kugatachi
The Third Fist of Ragnarok and a user of Kugatachi Style jōjutsu. She joined Ragnarok in order to learn techniques from Ogata.
The Fourth Fist of Ragnarok. He uses a Karate style that involves using all the joints in the arms. Besides being a powerful fighter, he is also quite intelligent, using information about his opponents to his advantage.
- Evil Genius: Seems to consider himself one and his position as the strategist suggests this, but he's not nearly as good as he thinks.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Except hide his eyes.
- Informed Ability: He spends more time scheming and manipulating than living up to his title as the fourth fist.
- Kick the Dog: Kidnapping Kenichi's little sister.
- Heel-Face Turn: Shown to be gathering information for Niijima much later.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Smug Snake
- The Starscream: He even builds a team that will comprise the new Eight Fists, himself included. In the end, though, he had about as much success as this trope's namesake. Notably, he didn't see himself as leader, but rather Berserker.
Siegfried AKA Hibiki Kugenin
The Fifth Fist of Ragnarok. Niijima described him as a zombie when reporting information to Kenichi, as he had a special ability he called the 'Round Technique', or 'Canon', and it allowed him to take a hit and keep on fighting.
- Anti-Villain: Was on the side of the villains, but he never did any harm to anyone.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He travelled to Tibet to find a master, and he did—in the form of a prayer wheel.
- Cloudcuckoolander: His logic is not like our Earth logic.
- Heel-Face Turn
- Hot-Blooded: He gets incredibly fired up about serving his "Demon Lord".
- Implacable Man
- Large Ham
- Leitmotif: The anime gives him Night on Bald Mountain and Dies Irae for leitmotifs, with his "La-La-La" in sync with the music. A lot of other classical music plays in his scenes, as well.
- Let's Get Dangerous: At first you could think that he's plain crazy. After a second thought... he's still crazy. But in combat, he's one of the most powerful members of Shinpaku Alliance. Even the Ryōzanpaku Masters compliment his abilities and skill in his signature technique.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Musical Assassin: Though not necessarily one, he will kick your ass while singing and composing.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Not concussive, but definitely powerful enough to knock you out at point-blank, with his head facing backwards.
- Nice Hat: Admit it, you wouldn't mind wearing that.
- No One Could Survive That: Siegfried's style of fighting is to literally roll with the punches; in his fights he seems to always absorb one's finishing moves with ease and he even uses these skills to survive detaching his parachute at least 5 stories off the ground by falling through tree branches and landing face-first. Even when he can't avoid the impact, he gets up when he really should not.
- Took a Level in Badass: By spinning around in circles for 40 days non-stop.
- The Lancer: To Niijima. He sees himself as The Dragon, instead.
- Whole Costume Reference: His outfit resembles those of Red Mages in Final Fantasy.
Hermit AKA Natsu Tanimoto, Moon
The Sixth Fist of Ragnarok. He learned martial arts from Sougetsu Ma, Kensei's older brother. He is the president of the drama club at Kenichi's school.
- Afraid of Doctors: In his past, his father married a female doctor who promised to tend to his sister's sickness. After the doctor murdered his father, Natsu discovered that the woman had never bothered to tend to the little girl, sprouting a seed for distrust in the boy.
- Always Someone Better: While under Sougetsu Ma's brand of training, Hermit always fights someone at least slightly better than him in all aspects. He realizes that this is how Kenichi has grown so much as martial artist, since virtually all of Kenichi's fights have been with superior opponents. It doesn't stop either of them from winning.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Notably averted. Even though Kenichi was weaker when they first fought, every attack Hermit threw was fully intended to destroy his opponent and he never lets up until it's over.
- Badass Long Robe: His fighting uniform.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: The Tsukkomi to Kenichi's Boke.
- The Comically Serious
- Cynicism Catalyst: The death of his sister inspired him to get stronger however he could, becoming quite violent in the process.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Kenichi at times seems this way towards him.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Back when he was still a member of Ragnarok, he refused to believe that Kenichi's sense of justice was anything other than a facade.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Right now he's in both the Shinpaku Alliance and YOMI. Justified, because his master is in Yami.
- In the Hood
- Noble Demon: Much like his Master, he does whatever he wants.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: To Kenichi.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Pet the Dog: His attitude towards Kenichi's little sister, who reminds him of his own sister.
- Slave to PR: He often must restrain himself from smacking Kenichi because he has to maintain his "perfectly nice guy" public image.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Becomes nicer after his battle with Kenichi, though Honoka probably has more to do with this then anything else.
- Training from Hell: He and Kenichi have this in common. He even notes that his master seemed to enjoy bullying him during his training. A flashback shows Natsu being forced to climb across monkey bars, by his wrists, with weights holding him down over bamboo spears!
- Tsundere: A male version. He even does the Luminescent Blush thing.
- Wild Card: He considers himself on anyone's side. He is merely doing what it takes to gain more skill as a martial artist.
Thor AKA Yūma Chiaki
Voiced by: Naomi Kusumi (JP), Bob Carter (EN)
The Seventh Fist of Ragnarok. He joined Ragnarok in order to pursue his dream of making his combat-sumo style mainstream.
Valkyrie AKA: Kisara Nanjō
The most recent member of Ragnarok to be made a Fist, transforming what had been the "Seven Fists" to the "Eight Fists". She is also noted to rely on growing during tough battles to win, and her style revolves around extremely acrobatic Taekwondo techniques, which she later combines with cat-like movements to make them even more effective.
- Action Girl: And she hates it when someone enforces Wouldn't Hit a Girl.
- She grows to tolerate it from Kenichi, however, when he makes it clear that he doesn't consider her weak, but just refuses to hit girls regardless of their level of strength.
- A-Cup Angst: Her small breasts are a Berserk Button for her and the reason why she flies into a frenzy to fight Miu having never even seen her before.
- Animal Motifs: After her Heel-Face Turn she has a tendency to lapse into cat-like mannerisms and often has a Cat Smile and cat pupils. She even has a catlike variation of Tae Kwon Do called Nya Kwan Do.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Part of how she is able to keep up with the other fighters despite not having a Master.
- Berserk Button: Make fun of her chest, or mess with cats, or refuse to fight her because she's a girl.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: To Ukita, funnily enough.
- Cuteness Proximity
- Extremity Extremist/Kick Chick: Justified, as she practices Tae Kwon Do, a martial art focused on kicking, using arms for defense and preventing opponents from getting too close.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Her one-legged jeans.
- Fiery Redhead
- Fingerless Gloves
- Heel-Face Turn
- Hellish Pupils: Cat-like
- Kick Chick: Utilizes Tae Kwon Do, a kicking based martial art.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- Nice Hat
- Pet The Cat: Feeding a homeless kitten in an alley. This is what changes Kenichi and Miu's opinions of her.
- Power Copying: Despite not having a master, she is able to achieve new levels of Badass by copying first Miu's movements, then a cat's. Somehow fitting, as copying the movements of animals is how many martial arts came to be—Tae Kwon Do is said to have been based on the movements of a tiger.
- She's Got Legs: Duh. Her fighting style is based on kicks. Not to mention all of the fanservicey shots of Kisara focus primarily on her legs and prominent rear.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She's a tomboyish and violent girl who adores cats.