open/close all folders
Kazuma Kenzaki/Kamen Rider Blade | Actor: Takayuki TsubakiKenzaki was a man who was orphaned at 11 by a fire. Years later, the organization BOARD scouted him out, making him a candidate for Rider System-02, Blade. He displayed unusually high fusion coefficiency with the Undead involved in the Rider system, and eventually became the partner of Rider System-01's user, Sakuya Tachibana.As the Battle Fight continues, Blade acquires the Rouse Absorber developed by Kei Karasuma, using it at first to assume Jack Form with the Category Jack of Spades Fusion Eagle, and then King Form, with the power of all 13 Category Spades Undead instead of merely the Category King of Spades Evolution Caucasus. This increased King Form's power at the cost of eventually turning Kenzaki himself into a Joker Undead. He uses this in the finale to allow Hajime/the Black Joker to continue living as a human, yet with him as the Navy Joker and to stay away from Hajime.
- All Your Powers Combined: Not only does King Form allow Blade access to all Category Six cards, giving him control of all four elements, it also uses the power of all thirteen Category Spades Undead.
- And then Kenzaki was an Undead: He put the Battle Fight to a stalemate by becoming the Joker himself to save Hajime so that the latter can live his life with the humans in the finale.
- BFS: King Rouzer.
- Blue Is Heroic: Notably Blade is the first Kamen Rider protagonist with a blue color on his suit.
- Cool Bike: Blue Spader, which can be enhanced to be even cooler using the Rouze cards to turn it into a bike with an electric field with Category Six Thunder Deer or go even faster with Category Nine Mach Jaguar.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: King Form slowly turns Kenzaki into a Joker the more he uses it. He uses this to his "advantage" by overusing it in the finale to save Hajime. Since two Jokers exist, the Battle Fight can continue indefinitely.
- Finishing Move
- Ace and Jack Form
- Lightning Blast: Combines the power of the Category Five Kick Locust and Category Six Thunder Deer to execute a lightning-powered flying side kick.
- Lightning Slash: Combines the power of the Category Two Slash Lizard and Category Six Thunder Deer to execute a lightning-powered slash with the Blay Rouzer.
- Lightning Sonic: Combines the power of the Category Five Kick Locust, Category Six Thunder Deer, and Category Nine Mach Jaguar to execute a high speed version of Lightning Blast.
- King Form
- Royal Straight Flush: King Form's most powerful finisher. Combines the Category Ten Time Scarab, Category Jack Fusion Eagle, Category Queen Absorb Capricorn, Category King Evolution Caucasus, and Category Ace Change Beetle to deliver a deadly strike with the King Rouzer.
- Straight Flush: Combines the Category Two Slash Lizard, Category Three Beat Lion, Category Four Tackle Boar, Category Five Kick Locust, and Category Six Thunder Deer to execute a double sword strike with the King Rouzer and Blay Rouzer.
- Four Cards: Combines all Category Six Cards (Thunder Deer, Fire Fly, Tornado Hawk, and Blizzard Polar) with the Category King Evolution Caucasus to deliver a powerful elemental slash.
- Ace and Jack Form
- Glass Cannon: Jack Form.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: The Blay Rouzer and King Rouzer. It's all in the name, after all.
- Ineffectual Loner: Before the show. After his parents died, he was cold and antisocial, and didn't have friends. He outright calls Kotaro his first. Over the course of the show, the exact opposite happens, with him reaching out to everyone.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Ace Form.
- Kiai: Kenzaki shouts A LOT. Nearly every attack is punctuated by his screams, and he's become well-known for them by fans.Kenzaki: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEY!
- Made of Iron: Category Seven Metal Trilobite
- Meaningful Name: Called "Blade" because he uses Category Spade cards, aka "The Suit Of Swords".
- Motif: Hercules Beetle and the Suit of Spades. Eventually the cockroach, being the Joker.
- Panthera Awesome: Category Three Beat Lion and Category Nine Mach Jaguar.
- Power Gives You Wings: Jack Form.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Tachibana's blue, despite their suit's colors.
- Selective Magnetism: Category Eight Magnet Buffalo.
- Shock and Awe: Category Six Thunder Deer.
- Super Mode: King Form.
- Super Speed: Category Nine Mach Jaguar.
- Sword Plant: Whenever he executes a Finishing Move in Ace Form, Kenzaki tends to do this. Sometimes he'll even justify this by using the sword as a platform for extra height on his Rider Kicks.
- They Call Him "Sword": They call him Blade.
- Time Master: Category Ten Time Scarab
Hajime Aikawa/Kamen Rider Chalice | Actor: Ryoji MorimotoA mysterious photographer living with the Kurihara family, with the ability to become a Kamen Rider. In reality, the alter ego of the Black Joker Undead, whose victory in the Battle Fight would cause The End of the World as We Know It. He uses the Category Ace of Hearts Change Mantis to assume the form of Kamen Rider Chalice, and the Category Two of Hearts Spirit Human to assume a human form. The combination of the Mantis Undead's fighting spirit and the Human Undead's compassion helped to control his natural impulses as the Joker. After witnessing a man's death at the hands of one of the Royal Club Undead, he vows to protect the man's family adopting the persona of Hajime Aikawa. After the Caucasus Undead steals most of his cards, including the Category Ace of Hearts Change Mantis, he begins to regress into his Joker form, with Leangle unsealing his cards in an attempt to control him. The Joker continues to rampage, however, until he acquires the Evolution Paradoxa card, allowing him to access Wild Form. By series end, with all other Undead sealed, he regresses to his true nature as the Black Joker, dooming life on Earth. Eventually Kenzaki takes it upon himself to defeat Hajime, not by sealing him (though this provides the plot of the Missing Ace film), but by becoming a Joker himself, allowing Hajime to resume living as a human with the Kuriharas.
- Alien Blood: Green in his case.
- All Your Powers Combined: The Wild Card combines the powers of all the cards in the Suit of Hearts.
- Anti Anti Christ: His victory in the Battle Royale will lead to the destruction of all life on Earth, whether he wants to or not.
- Becoming the Mask: Hajime, who assumed the appearance of the Human Undead and found himself enjoying his new life.
- Bifurcated Weapon: Wild Slasher, which can used as a bow or be split into two kama.
- Blow You Away: Category Six Tornado Hawk.
- Cool Bike: The Shadow Chaser, used as a prototype for the BOARD-made bikes.
- Deflector Shields: Category Eight Reflect Moth.
- The Dreaded: Undead flee from him in Joker form.
- Deuteragonist: As the series' Second Rider, Hajime's relationship with Kenzaki is the most important relationship the latter has in the series. He receives second billing in the main credits, is the only Rider in the series to receive a Final Form (Wild Chalice) other than Kenzaki, and much like Kamen Rider Kabuto years later, his actor is the singer for the series' Final Form Battle Theme (take it a try). As an added parallel, both Blade's and Chalice's elements complement each other, representing the pair of Japanese gods, Raijin and Fuujin.
- Eldritch Abomination: Being the Joker Undead, he is massively more powerful than any of the other Undeads, and his victory in the Battle Fight guarantees the end of the world. Design-wise he also one of the more unnerving appearances, with a moveable jaw and ghastly white skin coloration.
- Flight: Category Four Float Dragonfly.
- Finishing Move:
- Ace Form:
- Spinning Wave: Combines the Category Three Chop (Hammer)Head and Category Six Tornado Hawk to execute a wind-based karate chop.
- Spinning Attack: Combines the Category Five Drill Shell and Category Six Tornado Hawk to execute a wind-based corkscrew kick.
- Spinning Dance: Combines the Category Four Float Dragonfly, Category Five Drill Shell, and Category Six Tornado Hawk to execute a variation on the Spinning Attack.
- Wild Form. Wild Cyclone: An energy wave fired from the Wild Slasher.
- Ace Form:
- Greater-Scope Villain: While the other Undead and Hiroshi Tennoji set up the events of the plot, it is the Joker's existence that threatens life on Earth.
- Green Thumb: Category Seven Bio Plant.
- Healing Factor: Category Nine Recovery Camel
- Ineffectual Loner: He tries to be cold and antisocial, but the combined influences of the Spirit Card, Amane's attachment and Kenzaki's attempts to reach out to him all make his cold facade crumble.
- Meaningful Name: Called Chalice because he's of the Suit of Cups, and also because the Mantis Undead he's using to assume Rider Form was also called Chalice.
- Motif: Mantis, Suit of Hearts, and the cockroach, when being the Joker.
- Super Mode: Wild Form.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Chalice Arrow, which can serve as a bow, a two-bladed weapon or a knuckle, aside from functioning as his Rouzer to access his cards' powers.
- Threatening Shark: Category Three Chop (Hammer)Head.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: The Chalice Buckle can be used to facilitate this; Hajime normally uses it to transform into his Rider form or his human form, but it can be used to transform into other Category Heart Undead.
- Weapon of Choice:
- Ace Form
- Wild Form
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He seems to be unable to stop himself from destroying all life, but ultimately he's forced to do so. Until Kenzaki intervenes...
- Wild Card: Literally and figuratively. Aside from nobody knowing his motives at the beginning of the series and switching on and off between being a normal hero and an Anti-Hero, he's the Joker Undead (which is the card usually called the wild card) and his final form is even called Wild Form.
Sakuya Tachibana/Kamen Rider Garren | Actor: Kousei AmanoSakuya Tachibana was the second person chosen by BOARD to use the Rider System-01, Garren, after the first user Go Kiryu was determined to be too incompatible. Tachibana fears that continuous use of the system would erode his DNA, which is why he attacked Kei Karasuma, seemingly releasing Undead and betraying BOARD.Later, he manages to be manipulated by Isaka/Peacock Undead for the latter's sinister plans, until it is revealed that Isaka killed his girlfriend Sayoko Fukasawa. With this he defeats the Undead and in repentance takes Mutsuki/Leangle under his wing. In the Final Battle, he fights the Category King of Diamonds Giraffa, until it ends with Garren nowhere to be seen and the Giraffa Undead sealed. But returns in the finale.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Category Nine Gemini Zebra.
- Finishing Move:
- Burning Smash: Combines the Category Five Drop Whale and the Category Six Fire Fly to execute a fire-powered drop kick.
- Burning Divide: Combines the Category Five Drop Whale, Category Six Fire Fly, and Category Nine Gemini Zebra to execute a fire-powered drop kick that produces a clone, granting additional power.
- Burning Shot: Combines the Category Two Bullet Armadillo, Category Four Rapid Pecker, and Category Six Fire Fly to shower foes with multiple flame bullets.
- Two unnamed combos, one combining the Category Six Fire Fly and Category Three Upper Frog to deliver a fire-powered uppercut, and one combining the Category Two Bullet Armadillo and Category Six Fire Fly for shooting fireballs at the enemy.
- Glass Cannon: Jack Form, which also counts as his Super Mode.
- Meaningful Name: Called Garren (Galleon) because he's of the Suit of Coins.
- Motif: Stag Beetle and the Suit of Diamonds.
- Playing with Fire: Category Six Fire Fly.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Kenzaki's red, despite their choice of colors.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After Isaka kills Sayako, he goes on one. He finishes it by taking down the previously undefeatable Peacock Undead.
- Swiss Army Weapon: His Garren Rouzer already allows him to access his abilities aside from being a gun, but Jack Form transforms it into a gunblade for melee combat.
Mutsuki Kamijo/Kamen Rider Leangle | Actor: Takahiro HoujouMutsuki is a troubled highschool boy chosen by the evil Spider Undead to become Leangle. Unlike the other two BOARD-based Rider Systems, Leangle has no access to Jack Form, yet can unseal Undead to aid in battle. While his Ace Undead is evil, his Royal Club Undead seem to be kind: Category Jack/Elephant Undead does not wish to fight much (until he finds out the limits of his enemies' power, Category Queen/Tiger Undead has a strong sense of justice, and the pacifist Category King/Tarantula Undead aids the Riders in his human persona Noboru Shima.With the sacrifices of the Tiger and Tarantula Undeads, Mutsuki is able to overcome the Spider Undead's evil influence. With Garren nowhere to be found after the Giraffa Undead's unsealing, he assists Blade in dealing with the Darkroaches as Blade himself goes and faces Hajime as the Joker.
- Blade on a Stick: Leangle Rouzer.
- Can't Catch Up: While his Ace Form is the most powerful of all Riders, he lacks a Super Mode.
- Finishing Move:
- Blizzard Crush: Combines the power of Category Five Bite Cobra and Category Six Blizzard Polar to execute an ice-based scissors kick.
- Blizzard Gale: Combines the power of Category Three Screw Mole and Category Six Blizzard Polar to execute an ice-based punch.
- Blizzard Venom: Combines the power of Category Four Rush Rhinoceros, Category Six Blizzard Polar, and Category Eight Poison Scorpion to deliver an icy poisoned strike with the Leangle Rouser.
- An Ice Person: Category Six Blizzard Polar.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: In Missing Ace movie. He tries to move on with his life, and was quite upset when Kenzaki and Kotaro tell him that Undeads might be return.
- Motif: Spider and the Suit of Clubs.
- Lightning Bruiser: His Ace Form has the best stats of the four. Comparatively, his SIC-figure-only Jack and King forms are...
- Mighty Glacier: Not seen in-show, but the stats and appearance of his SIC-only Jack◊ and King◊ forms indicate that it trades speed and agility (Leangle Jack's jump height is listed less than one-fifth of Blade Jack's!) for sheer overwhelming power.
- Meaningful Name: Called Leangle because he's of the Suit of Wands, the clubs.
- Panthera Awesome: Category Queen Absorb Tiger.
- Poisonous Person: Category Eight Poison Scorpion.
- Smoke Out: Category Nine Smog Squid.
- Smug Snake: While influenced by the Spider Undead.
- Summon Magic: Category Ten Remote Tapir; allows Leangle to unseal an Undead to aid him.
- They Call Him "Sword": They call him Leangle.
- This Is a Drill: The card combo Category Three Screw Mole and Category Four Rush Rhinoceros makes the Leangle Rouzer one.
Shiori Hirose | Actor: Yumi EgawaOne of the few remaining BOARD members after the attack on the organization, she sets up a command post at Kotaro's residence in order to help Kenzaki track down the Undead.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: Arguably, after the reveal that her father Yoshito programmed the Trial B Undead to watch her, assuming himself as a disguise.
- Mission Control: Sort of. Using the Undead Searcher she instructs Kenzaki on where to find Undead once they attack people.
Kotaro Shirai | Actor: Terunosuke TakezaiAn aspiring writer with whom Kenzaki moves in after the latter failed to pay his rent. He likes drinking milk.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He orders milk by the crate.
Haruka Kurihara | Actor: Kaori YamaguchiKotaro's sister and Amane's mother.
Amane Kurihara | Actor: Hikari KajiwaraA young girl who befriends Hajime, and makes the mysterious man discover how humanity is to be.
The Board Of Archaeological Research Department developed technology to combat the Undead, making the first two Rider Systems and their support gear. Is destroyed in the first episode after Tachibana's apparent betrayal.
Kei Karasuma | Actor: Kazuhiro YamajiA professor who created the Rider Systems 01 (Garren) and 02 (Blade), as well as 03 (Leangle) under the directions of Isaka the Peacock Undead. He entrusted the Rouse Absorbers to Noboru Shima, despite knowing of the latter's nature as an Undead. He also knows of the secret that Blade's King Form has...
Yoshito Hirose | Actor: Junichi HarutaShiori's father, who unsealed the Undead, seemingly being killed in the process. Turns up later seemingly alive, only for him to be revealed as the Trial B Undead, originally programmed by the real Yoshito Hirose to protect his daughter. However, Tennoji reprogrammed him to monitor the Battle Fight, but after sacrificing himself to protect Shiori from Trial G, he remembers his true purpose.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Trial B, like all other Trial Undead.
Hiroshi Tennoji | Actor: Koji MoritsuguChairman of the BOARD organization. Set up the Battle Fight in his favor, and created the hybrid Undead Category Ace Kerberos, wishing to use it to rule the world. While he manages to create (and eventually fuse) with Kerberos, he is killed by the Giraffa Undead after his defeat at the hands of the Riders.
- Big Bad: While not the final villain, everything bad in the series is pretty much his fault.
- A God Am I: His ultimate goal is to win the Battle Fight and gain the power to reshape the world in his own image.
- The Man Behind the Monsters: Controls some of the Undead directly and a few of the Trials, but arranged the release of all of them in the first place.
- One-Winged Angel: Merges with the Kerberos Undead in order to be the victor of the Battle Fight.
- Villainous Breakdown: He has a complete mental breakdown upon his defeat, ranting about his "new world" and how the two remaining Undead must be sealed so it can happen.
Undead are the kaijin of the show. There are 52 or rather, 53 Undead each competing in the Battle Fight, with the victor's species gaining dominance over the world. The winner of the previous Battle Fight ten thousand years ago was the Human Undead, resulting in the dominance of humanity.Most of the "numbered" Undead are only capable of speaking their own language; however, those belonging to the so-called Royal Club can take on human disguise and speak human languages like Japanese. Their motivations are diverse and complex, from one fond of humanity (Tarantula Undead/Noboru Shima) to one with very sinister designs (Spider Undead).
- Bat Out of Hell: Category Eight of Diamonds Bat Undead.
- Bears Are Bad News: Category Six of Clubs Polar Undead.
- Bee Afraid: Category Two of Clubs Bee Undead.
- Beware the Nice Ones: The Tarantula Undead aka the King of Clubs, is perhaps one of the nicest characters in the series. The biggest example though is the Human Undead, an incredibly kind person who is merely the 2 of Hearts... Yet he was the one who won the last Battle Fight, even sealing THE JOKER HIMSELF.
- Bewitched Amphibians: Category Three of Diamonds Frog Undead.
- Creepy Centipedes: Category Ten of Hearts Centipede Undead.
- Electric Jellyfish: Category Seven of Clubs Jellyfish Undead.
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods: Category Nine of Clubs Squid Undead.
- Extreme Omni-Goat: Category Queen of Spades Capricorn Undead.
- Flies Equals Evil: Category Six of Diamonds Fly Undead.
- Full-Boar Action: Category Four of Spades Boar Undead.
- Hell Hound: Artifical Undead Kerberos.
- Hollywood Chameleons: Category Ten of Diamonds Chameleon Undead.
- Honorable Elephant: Category Jack of Clubs Elephant Undead.
- Horsing Around: Category Nine of Diamonds Zebra Undead.
- Japanese Beetle Brothers: Category Ace of Spades Beetle Undead and Category Ace of Diamonds Stag Undead. Also Category King of Spades Caucasus Undead and Category King of Diamonds Giraffa Undead.
- King of Beasts: Category Three of Spades Lion Undead.
- Lethal Joke Character: Somehow, the extremely lowly Human Undead was the one that won the previous Battle Fight. What makes this even more amazing is Hajime said the Human Undead sealed him the last time. Somehow the Human Undead sealed the Joker!
- Lizard Folk: Category Two of Spades Lizard Undead.
- A Load of Bull: Category Eight of Spades Buffalo Undead.
- Macabre Moth Motif: Category Eight of Hearts Moth Undead.
- The Marvelous Deer: Category Six of Spades Deer Undead.
- Medusa: Category Queen of Diamonds Serpent Undead.
- Mole Men: Category Three of Clubs Mole Undead.
- Mythology Gag: Not only is there the Spider Undead, serving as a minor antagonist throughout the series, but the first Undead we see Garren and Blade fight is the Bat Undead. Both are references to the first Kamen Rider monsters.
- Noble Bird of Prey: Category Jack of Spades Eagle Undead and Category Six of Hearts Hawk Undead.
- Non-Lethal K.O.: Undead are sealed instead of being killed . This is justified, as they literally cannot die. Kamen Rider Decade averts this though.
- Panthera Awesome: Category Queen of Clubs Tiger Undead and Category Nine of Spades Jaguar Undead.
- Plant Person: Category Seven of Hearts Plant Undead and Category Queen of Hearts Orchid Undead.
- Rhino Rampage: Category Four of Clubs Rhinoceros Undead.
- Sapient Cetaceans: Category Five of Diamonds Whale Undead.
- Scarab Power: Category Ten of Spades Scarab Undead.
- Scary Scorpions: Category Eight of Clubs Scorpion Undead.
- Seldom-Seen Species: Category Two of Diamonds Armadillo Undead and Category Ten of Clubs Tapir Undead.
- Slaying Mantis: Category Ace of Hearts Mantis Undead and Category King of Hearts Paradoxa Undead.
- The Smurfette Principle: Three out of four Undead are female, all of the Category Queen. Except for the Capricorn/Queen of Spades Undead, who is male.
- Spiders Are Scary: Category Ace of Clubs Spider Undead and Category King of Clubs Tarantula Undead.
- The Starscream: Giraffa Undead. He kills Tennoji off after deciding to be the last Undead remaining in the Battle Fight, manipulating the Riders to defeat him.
- The Swarm: Category Five of Spades Locust Undead.
- Threatening Shark: Category Three of Hearts Hammerhead Undead.
- Toothy Bird: Category Four of Diamonds Pecker Undead.
- Turtle Power: Category Seven of Diamonds Tortoise Undead.