Characters / In Serein
A teenage girl with dark red hair and huge brown eyes with golden flecks, a commoner
- I Just Want to Be Special: "From the time I was three years old, I was utterly hooked on becoming a Serein"...
- The Unchosen One: ..."Just one problem - I was low born and never chosen."
- Jumped at the Call: When the Serein finally invite her to their monastery, she goes there asap.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: Her modus operandi through the whole series. With all its consequences, including unintended mass murder.
- Healing Hands: One of her very first feats of magic is discovering her healing abilities, spontanously on her own without any mentoring.
- The Red Mage: She takes what she likes from everyone doing magic and every school of magic she comes across as well as her own experience and combines them at her leisure.
- Magnetic Hero & Jeanne d'Archétype: People are drawn to her, be it Dareon, Chay, the Serein orphans or just random strangers she meets. Well, unless they heard the rumors of her Unholy Matrimony with Lucian, in which case they are scared shitless of her. She goes from lowly commoner to one of the two most powerful RealityWarpers. She experiences more than her fair share of the supernatural. Though she doesn't die a martyr. Quite the contrary, actually.
- Rags to Riches: From low-born commoner to affluent Reality Warper.
- Anti-Hero: Type 1 through 5, moving between Chaotic Good and Chaotic Neutral in the course of the series.
- Hero Protagonist: Obviously.
Lord Lucian Tremain
A huge, square-shouldered, middle-aged man with white hair, sharp features, pale eyes and a deep voice, Lord of Darkness for the Serein
A very handsome soldier, blond and blue-eyed
- Shell-Shocked Veteran & Survivor Guilt: before he acknowledges Ty's death and Isca helps him heal emotionally and he grief
- Heterosexual Life-Partners & True Companions: With Ty Sidra
- "His name was Ty Sidra. My brother-in-arms. A braver man never …" his voice broke and he could not speak.
- "I was strangely comfortable in his presence, and he in mine. I understood him and there was no need for him to tell me that his brother-in-arms had been everything to him, his strength, his family, his home, none of which he had ever known outside of having Ty Sidra by his side. I understood why he could not let go of the fact that he had promised Ty that he would bring him to the healer women and then had sworn he would save his life and that all would be well."
- When He Smiles: "Chay played with the now empty bottle in his hands, then looked up at me and a smile came across his face. He had an extraordinary smile, like the sun came from behind the clouds. It lit up his face entirely and made him look boyish, charming and quite irresistible."
- Due to the Dead: "When the pale winter sun sat as high as it could go on the low horizon, he came down the stairs, carrying his brother as he had arrived, and we opened the door for him so he could walk out into the thick, deep snow that lay in beautiful waves like a frozen ocean. He pushed his way through our yard and struggling, half falling, towards a small copse of trees in the angle where our drive met the road above. He laid down the body with exquisite gentleness into the deep white and began to dig at the snow with his hands, then with his sword, and I went out to him, through the thick dry snow, following in his footsteps and stood by his side."