Characters / If I Only Had A Heart
The protagonist of the series. Unlike his canon counterpart, a Villain's attack destroyed Izuku's eye and one of his eyes and damaged his spine, leaving him legally a cripple. But he refuses to let his dream of becoming a Hero die, using his incredible intelligence to develop any number of amazing inventions to pave his path towards becoming the world's greatest hero.
- Abled in the Adaptation: Inverted. In canon, Izuku has no health issues aside from his own Quirklessness. Here he's Quirkless and legally disabled due to his missing arm and damaged spine, but he's working on remedying the latter.
- Adaptational Intelligence: Izuku was hardly dumb before, but this fic pushes him into absurd super-genius levels to make up for his disabilities and lack of a Quirk. At seven years old he was at the head of his class, finishing entire textbooks in a day and scoring perfectly on virtually all of his exams (to the point that a single 95 out of a 100 left him in tears). He also developed his own replacement prosthetic arm with a more functional four-fingered hand with an opposable thumb to replace his missing one after finding the one issued by the hospital (which amounts to a barely working appendage with a hook for a hand) with one that responds to his brainwaves with a headband with nothing but scrap parts. He was also fluent in both Japanese and English and was studying German before he met Aizawa. He also is a budding chemist who created darts loaded with his own unique blends of chemicals that can cause things they hit to spontaneously ignite, be shocked, or frozen in a device he calls "The Equalizer". Two years later, he chewed through countless neuroscience papers and books to develop a microtechnological implant that he injected directly into his own spine to directly link a new prosthetic arm he created, which has all of the functionality and fluid movement of a real arm, to his brain. Said implant was so technologically advanced and experimental that no doctor would perform the procedure for him. He also devised his own painkillers to help him deal with the transition process and said arm can be modified easily to accommodate weapons implants or simply his own growth. All of this, again, on a working-class budget and nothing but scraps for parts. He's still in elementary school at this time!
- Child Prodigy: Izuku's this in spades, considering he's an Omnidisciplinary Scientist Omniglot.
- Cyborg: Is slowly turning into one, with a cybernetic arm, spine, and eye. He has several different arms and eyes.
- Electronic Eye: Izuku replaces his missing left eye with a cybernetic one of his own design that glows a vibrant blue. In addition to restoring his depth perception, it's equipped with telescopic and thermal vision and is a miniature supercomputer that allows him to connect to the internet. He hopes to eventually be able to use it to directly interface with other pieces of technology to remotely control them. It's also removable, allowing Izuku to use CT scans without a hitch and monitor his nerves to prevent damage. He also has a camera function installed so that he can record what he sees, uploading it to a computer via a USB drive in his prosthetic arm.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Katsuki calls him Deku like in canon, while his friend Mashi calls him "Zu Zu".
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: Is fond of the strays that Aizawa cares for, particularly Pumpkin, who has practically become Izuku's pet in all but name.
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist: Izuku is only in middle school, yet his feats in the fields of mechanical engineering, pharmacology, computer programming, neuroscience, and genetics would leave most real-world scientists stumped.
- Omniglot: Izuku is fluent in Japanese, English, German, and Spanish.
- Workaholic: When invested in an idea, Izuku has a bad habit of losing track of time and forgetting to sleep.
Haganehato "Mashi" Mottai
Izuku's best friend. She's Quirkless but fearless and ready to fight in necessary.
Izuku's hardworking and loving mother.
- Glamorous Single Mother: Subverted. Unlike in canon, Inko had to take a job due to Izuku's medical bills and Hisashi's absence from their lives.
- Team Mom: To the Ragtag Bunch of Misfits that she and Izuku have basically adopted into their family, which includes Mashi, Nemuri, Aizawa, and Hizashi.