Characters: Blue Exorcist
Characters appearing in Blue Exorcist
. Work In Progress, additions are greatly welcomed.SPOILERS
Read with caution.All names are in the Western order
open/close all folders
The protagonist. Rin and his twin brother Yukio were raised by Father Fujimoto Shiro. Something of a delinquent
but with a good heart, he turns out to be the son of Satan
Rin's younger twin brother, a professor, and a Middle First-Class Exorcist. Very smart and mature, more so than his brother. A calm and a competent teacher.
- Affectionate Nickname: Is fondly called "Yuki-chan" ("Yuki" in the dub) by Shiemi.
- Adorkable: Generally the calm, collected guy...but put him in a social situation and he generally falls to pieces as his basic shy nature comes to the front. Multiply this if it involves Shiemi.
- Badass: He easily matches his brother in Badassery despite not using demonic powers.
- Badass Bookworm: Rin can hardly believe that he was the same kid he once defended from bullies.
- Beauty Mark: Has three of them and he's a little embarrassed by them.
- Berserk Button: Same as Rin's. Really.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Rin's Veronica for Shiemi's Archie.
- Beware the Nice Ones: No matter how nice he may seem he is still a very effective exorcist. Not to mention, like his brother, he does have a temper and has enough demonic blood to make him really scary when he gets mad.
- Hell, it's probably fair to say he's scarier than Rin when he gets mad, and considering he lacks Rin's laid-back demeanor and has difficulty managing his stress, he tends to lose his temper a lot more.
- Big Little Brother: Sort of. He's extremely smart (got the top score in his incoming class), tall, very handsome and a well accomplished Middle First Class Exorcist at 15 years old. Compare him to his older, shorter, less brilliant twin, Rin, who's only an ExWire currently.
- Deconstructed since Yukio has built his entire life around being this. Part of him wishes to be more than that, but at the same time he's been conditioned to see Rin as "helpless" without him to "supervise" (read: control) him.
- Bishie Sparkle: On occasion though mostly as jokes or imagine spots.
- Broken Ace: There isn't anything he can't do, but he has a great level of self-hatred for his own weaknesses, and on some level, hates his own brother and the only father he ever knew.
- Cain and Abel: Played with. He looks like the good son of the pair, being a polite exorcist and all, but he came within a hair's width of shooting his brother in the third episode/second chapter. Then they settle into more of a Vitrolic Best Buds relationship which is their default relationship apparently. But there are hints that Yukio, what with his status as The Corruptible, might go to the bad...
- It's later revealed that he harbors a lot of resentment towards Rin just for existing, because it's put him in the position of being the reliable twin for basically his entire life, and greatly shaped who he is. Basically, the guy just wants to stop being responsible for Rin, yet is highly neurotic about his safety as well.
- The Comically Serious: At times, due to his tendency to be as serious as possible. At the same time, he does like gag manga. Best pictured here (at the bottom panel.)
- The Corruptible: Stated by Toudou, in full demon get-up mind, that his envy and hatred towards Rin (and the self-loathing these feelings create) makes him more susceptible to becoming a demon.
- Crazy-Prepared: Chapter 8 establishes he has a surprisingly hefty stash of spare glasses. And that's not even getting into the amount of bullets he carries...
- Cute Bookworm: Mostly when younger, but he's still Adorkable enough now to still qualify.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has shown shades of this in the manga and the Japanese version of this anime. It's more prominent in the English dub, courtesy of Alex von David's script and Johnny Yong Bosch's performance.
- Declaration of Protection: Has sworn to protect his older brother. Not the easiest task.
- Demonic Possession: In the anime, by his father.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Shura calls him "four-eyed chicken".
- Empowered Badass Normal: As of Chapter 30/Episode 23, there may be some unawakened power inside Yukio after all.
- Foil: To Rin, he has the brains and maturity, but is missing out on Rin's friendly extroverted personality.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The responsible to Rin's foolish.
- Freak Out: Following an arduous battle with Toudou, Toudou regenerates from pieces on the ground and grabs him with a disembodied hand telling Yukio that his self-loathing is the first step to becoming a demon, and that Yukio's true nature is a demon. Bullets and screaming ensue.
- Goofy Print Underwear: In the Spin-Off he reveals that he has boxers with cats all over it.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards his older brother and father. Best displayed in chapter 35: Tatsuma praises Rin for being "a great man like his father", (Fujimoto Shiro, not Satan), and the look on Yukio's face says it all.
- The Gunslinger: As a Dragoon Meister, sometimes resulting in...
- Half-Human Hybrid: Subverted, in that he was too sickly to actually receive any demonic power. Or maybe not.
- Happily Adopted: Until Fujimoto died.
- Heroic Bastard: Like his brother above; his father is Satan.
- He Who Fights Monsters: His Broken Ace feelings and self-loathing could easily turn him into the very thing he fights. Lampshaded by Mephisto as he quotes the saying while observing Yukio.
- Hidden Depths: Reads Jump Square every month and even likes gag manga, of all things.
- Hot Wings: In the anime following his possession by Satan.
- Improbable Age: He is the Exwires' teacher and Rin's younger twin brother.
- Meaningful Name: Yuki or "Snow". Shows his more cool headed and smart approach to things, as well as his fragile mental state.
- Minored In Ass Kicking: Much to his older brother's annoyance..
- Polar Opposite Twins: With Rin, see Foil for reference.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Rin's red.
- The Resenter: Towards Rin.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Whenever he wants to be imposing.
- Shrinking Violet: Was this when he was little and still shows shades of it in the present.
- Sibling Triangle: With his brother Rin towards Shiemi.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: One of the most book-smart members of the cast.
- Socially-Awkward Hero: Is an Exorcist prodigy and is a very skillful Dragoon and Doctor but didn't really develop friendships pre-series and is still enough of a Shrinking Violet that he tends to fumble in regards to social situations.
- Specs of Awesome: Well he IS an effective exorcist...
- Stepford Smiler: He hides his resentment and jealousy towards Rin very well.
- Stoic Spectacles: In addition to very self-controlled (most of the time)...
- Summon Magic: Though not having a meister as a Tamer, he summons a group of Naiads to imprison Saburota Toudou in a sphere of water. Unfortunately due to his inexperience, Toudou immediately escapes.
- Took a Level in Badass: He had the nickname "Crybaby" when he was younger for a reason, now not so much.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Towards Rin, following everything that happened with the Kraken. Not to say that relationship is all better by any means, but his Jerkass attitude has decreased.
- Tsundere: Male familial version towards Rin.
- Wise Beyond His Years: Rin's younger brother and already smart enough to be a teacher, doctor, and experienced exorcist.
- Wreathed in Flames: When possessed by Satan in the anime.
A girl who had a demon affecting (crippling) her legs, who loves gardening and all nature. Good-natured and sweet. Demonstrates extensive knowledge of plants. Used to be seen only in a kimono and still has a tendency to wear them. The Love Interest
for both Yukio and Rin.
- Adorkable: As a result of being very cute and terribly awkward around people.
- Apologises a Lot: She is getting better about it but she still does this a lot.
- Badass Adorable: Not only is Shiemi a very cute and sweet girl with an equally adorable companion, but they are also the most effective tamer/demon team of the group and the most versatile members period being able to cover healing, defense and offense equally well.
- Barrier Warrior: In fighting the Naberius during the Page exam, she used Niichan to grow a tree barrier.
- Betty and Veronica: She is the Archie in the Sibling Triangle between Rin and Yukio, and she is the Betty in a Love Triangle with Izumo for Rin.
- Character Development: Goes from a Shrinking Violet barely able to go to school without shaking uncontrollably to a Plucky Girl, who, with her powerful familiar, is able to fight with the best of them.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Mildly.
- Combat Medic: She's the only one in the main group capable of healing,and utilizes this skill multiple times. She can also kick some serious ass.
- Comically Missing the Point/Insult Backfire: When Izumo laments that she can't believe she's friends with someone like Shiemi, who's "as shameless as a weed", she thinks it's a pep talk and vows to become "as strong as a weed".
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Although she isn't as clumsy anymore.
- Damsel in Distress: During her first appearance, now not so much.
- Does Not Like Shoes: When we first meet her, she is seen gardening barefoot and getting her feet - and rather elaborate kimono - completely dirty.
- Extreme Doormat: Was this in the beginning because of her belief that that's how friends treat friends. She grew out of it.
- Familiar: Has one named "Nii-chan," a small, cute plant demon. It's really useful.
- Fangirl: Of Yukio.
- Foil: To Izumo since while both are tamers she is friendly and humble, as oppossed to Izumo's abrasive and proud personality. Even their character designs and hair/eye colors are opposite of each other.
- Flower in Her Hair: After she grows her hair out of its bob she uses flower based hairclips to keep her bangs out of her face. Considering that Nii-chan spends most of his time hiding in her hair they might count as being a sentient "flower in her hair" as well.
- Fragile Flower: Probably the most sensitive person in this manga, but she's getting more assertive.
- Friend to All Living Things: Mostly towards any plants, though demons work too.
- Green Eyes: Reflecting her nature motif.
- Green Thumb: Why she has a Green Man familiar.
- Hair Antennae: That almost make her look like a bug.
- Hair Decorations: After getting her school uniform.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Unlike Bon, (the only other Blonde - though dyed - of the main cast) hers is pure gold and pure kindness.
- Hello, Nurse!: The boys' reaction when she first put on her school uniform.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Called herself useless alot when she didn't have her familiar.
- Hidden Buxom: The guys are utterly gobsmacked when they see her wearing something other than her modest, concealing kimono. Complete with Gainaxing.
- Hikikomori: At first, before Rin got her interested in seeing more of the world.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Her main motivation.
- Ill Girl: As a result of Demonic Possession.
- Innocent Flower Girl: Sorta subverted since she's not sick anymore and she's starting to get over her shyness, but she's still kind and she still has plenty of knowledge on plants, flowers and the like. And she also lives at a herbs/plant shop.
- Lethal Chef: Subverted. The sandwiches she made in Chapter 50 were basically just some herbs between bread and even Yukio couldn't pretend they tasted good, but it's later revealed that these herbs were what kept the group from getting addicted to the Inari food like all the tourists.
- Living Emotional Crutch: To Yukio. Chapter 44 reveals that being with Shiemi is the only time he feels at peace.
- Loving a Shadow: Has always believed that Yukio was perfect and has always admired him for it, but after witnessing an argument between him and Rin in chapter 36 she realizes that that's not the case.
- Love Epiphany: Towards Rin later in the manga, though more in regard to realizing that Rin likes her and she might like him back.
- Luminescent Blush: In the manga, Shiemi blushes in almost every panel she's in.
- Nice Girl: One of the friendliest members of the cast.
- The Nicknamer: With herbs and other plants. She failed a test because she didn't use their real names.
- No Social Skills: In the beginning, shown when she repeatedly fails in trying to get her feelings across to Izumo. She finally suceeds in chapter Chapter 32.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Given everything else here, it should be obvious that Shiemi often ends up like this, much to Rin's confusion and Izumo's chagrin.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Her familiar, Nii-chan.
- Obliviously Beautiful: She has no idea why she could have so many male admirers.
- Oblivious to Love: She genuinely doesn't notice all the love triangles that involve her. Justified by the fact she was born very sickly and wasn't allowed to go outside much. Then her grandmother died and she became obsessed with caring for her garden...
- Plucky Girl: As part of her character development. She strives to be as determined "as a weed" and tries not to let anything keep her spirits down for too long.
- The Pollyanna: Not even the Alpha Bitch can manage to upset her.
- Shrinking Violet: At first, natch. She's trying to grow out of it now though, but she definitely still has shades of this.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Shown when she completely explodes at Rin and Yukio when they start arguing infront of her. They were both shocked.
- Squishy Wizard: Without her familiar, she's pretty defenseless.
- Summon Magic: She's able to summon a baby Green Man with no training, something that surprises everyone.
- Tareme Eyes: To emphasize her sweet, passive personality.
- Tender Tears: On occasion.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the girly girl to Izumo's tomboy.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Later on with Izumo, though the vitriol really only applies to Izumo.
- Zettai Ryouiki: After getting her school uniform.
Cram School Students
Ryuuji "Bon" Suguro
Child of the Head Priest of the Cursed Temple Satan destroyed 16 years ago. Bon is trying to acquire the title of Meister in both Aria and Dragoon. Also wants to kill Satan.
A stubborn, haughty girl with twintails who initially mocked Shiemi. Instant Expert
at calling up Familiars
, rather skilled in combat.
- Abusive Parents: Chapter 52 gives us a glimpse into Izumo's past and introduces us to her mother; a woman who originally loved her children but her depression after her boyfriend told her to (essentially) chose between him and her children caused her to be possessed by the Ninetails Fox, resulted in her trying to kill her own children.
- Not to mention, essentially shirking all responsibility for her younger daughter onto Izumo as well due to her Woman Child self.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: To Renzou, when she finds out he's helping the Illuminati of his own free will. She then tries to follow it up with a Reason Why You Suck Speech, but one sentence from Renzou knocks the fight out of her.
- Badass Adorable: She can summon two familiars to fight for her (who can in turn summon a tiny, adorable army) and has her cute moments.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Shiemi's Betty for Rin's Archie.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Pointed out by Rin who nicknames her "Eyebrows" against her will.
- Big Sister Instinct: Izumo cares greatly for her little sister. She vowed to protect her and is willing to give up her body and be possessed by the Nine-Tails, just so the Illuminati won't do the same to her Tsukumo instead.
- Brainy Brunette: Is at the top of her class.
- Break the Haughty: In her first episode, almost leading to her familiars turning against her. Happens again, more permanently, during the Inari arc.
- Complaining About Rescues They Don't Like: Does this constantly. Even in Inari with her possessed and most likely going to die she complains. She only didn't do it once, when Rin rescued her from her Byakko, due to her Cry Cute moment below.
- Cry Cute: Can't help but weep in shame in Chapter 5/Episode 7, at the end of a double-whammy: not only was she called out by Paku for how she'd been treating Shiemi, but was completely useless in fighting against the attacking ghoul and protecting her friend as well.
- Cuteness Proximity: Towards Kuro or Dog!Mephisto.
- Dark and Troubled Past: It's hinted that something happened to her family. Then we see it later on, and it was really tragic.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She didn't really want to make friends aside from Paku, but she is learning to get along better with the rest of the team.
- Distress Ball: Has caught this four times so far: First during the exwire exam (getting rescued by Rin), second during the Impure King Arc (getting rescued by Shiemi), third during the festival (getting rescued by Renzo), and finally the Inari Arc is all about rescuing her from the Illuminati. That's right, the snarky Tsundere Ice Queen is the resident Damsel in Distress.
- Familiars: Has a pair of very powerful foxes who almost killed her when they saw she wasn't as strong as she seemed.
- They are later killed by Shima when she tries to escape the Illuminati compound and then come back when she begs them for strength after her mother dies.
- Foil: To Shiemi since while both are tamers she is outgoing and assertive, as oppossed to Shiemi's shy and passive personality. Even their character designs and hair/eye colors are opposite of each other.
- Friendless Background: Happened due to being the only one who could see demons. Possibly also due to her fear of one day having to give herself up to the Illuminati.
- Girlish Pigtails: Going with her Tsundere personality.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Subverted. She does have demonic blood, but it's been diluted over the course of so many generations.
- Heroic Bastard: Is the daughter of the head of the Inami family and the Kamiki priestess of Inari, who was his mistress. Most certainly were not married even years later when they went on to have her little sister Tsukumo.
- Hime Cut: She claims to have a relation to a miko. Which is true; her family was always Miko tasked with keeping the Ninetails under control until her mother snapped.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While rather rude and blunt to those around her, she's also a genuinely good girl. She encouraged Shiemi (in her own way) when the latter has given up and is the first to defend Rin (and for a while, the only one to stand by his side) when it's revealed that he's the son of Satan and all his other friends are uneasy around him.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: When no one's around of course. She seems to be fond of dogs, as well.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She's aloof and cold, but on the inside, she's a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Miko: She becomes one in order to perform an exorcism.
- Parental Abandonment: Her mother went from being loving but self-centered to outright abandoning her and her sister because her boyfriend didn't want to deal with her kids.
- Perpetual Frowner: When she isn't actively being smug.
- Pride: Her biggest flaw, along with her trust issues. The Inari arc shows just how big a flaw it is when it causes Mike & Uke to die and Izumo to willing do something that will probably kill her.
- Promotion to Parent: She had to take care of her sister when her mother completely abandoned them. Even before that, she was the one mostly responsible for Tsukumo.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Not exactly evil, just prideful.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Her entire kidnapping arc. We find out that she's been living her life to defend and protect her younger sister Tsukumo, and Izumo is only kept alive for her possible compatibility with the Nine-Tailed Fox inside her mother. It turns out she's not as compatible with the Nine-Tailed Fox as everyone thought and allowing the Nine-Tailed Fox inside her body may kill her, but she decides to go through with it anyway to keep the Illuminati from going after Tsukumo in her place. Sure enough, Izumo is almost killed in the process, which leads to Izumo's mother taking the Fox into her own body again to keep it from killing Izumo and allowing their family's power to die with her. Izumo's mother dies moments after telling Izumo she loved her. The Cram School students save Izumo but at the end of the arc, it's revealed that Izumo's efforts were all ultimately in vain from beginning to end, because Tsukumo was under the protection of the True Cross Order anyway and when Izumo finally goes to visit Tsukumo, Tsukumo doesn't remember who she is (justified since she was two last she saw her). So for all the trouble Izumo went through, she gained absolutely nothing (except for fully defrosting and being free), and loses the power she should have been able to inherit and what few family ties she thought she had left. Ouch.
- Summon Magic: Her foxes.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Shiemi's girly girl. She's not necessarily a tomboy though, just has a lot of qualities that are far from girly.
- Tsundere: Type A, right down to the twintails and thighhigh socks.
- As part of her character development, her deredere side is coming out more and more often; Generally towards Paku, Shiemi and Rin.
- Tsurime Eyes: Going with her aggressive and proud personality.
- What the Hell, Hero?: On both receiving and giving ends. Paku gives her one early on for her treatment of Shiemi, and she gives a very mocking one to the other Exwires about their treatment of Rin during her conversation with him on the train to Kyoto.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In the anime and some colored manga pages, she has purple hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade S, even!
One of Bon's childhood friends from Kyoto. A slightly perverted Buddhist priest with pink hair and entomophobia.
- Blade on a Stick: Can use Yamantaka's black flames to change his khakkhara into a spear that burns away the souls of anything it cuts or pierces.
- Break Them by Talking: To Izumo, when she's chewing him out for betraying them. Particularly notable since he manages to take the wind from Izumo's sails with only three sentences.
- Butt Monkey: Is definitely one, to his own family no less. His father's and older brother's reaction when he finally comes home? Punt him on the head for dying his hair pink. Even his mother sends him a death threat instead of coming to see him off. He's appropriately horrified. This turns out to be a Deconstruction what with his ties to the Illuminati and his Stepford Smiler status recently being revealed.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Takes every opportunity he can to flirt with a female.
- Cowardly Lion: If he runs away, he never fails to come back for his friends. Or not. We don't know how much of his cowardly nature he was faking while undercover.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: As Chapter 48 demonstrates, Shima has a lot more tricks up his sleeve than he lead his friends to believe.
- He summons a high level Wisdom King class demon that has been his Familiar since childhood, showing he has the abilities of a high-ranking Tamer.
- Later he uses the same flame-based techniques that his older brother — a high ranking Exorcist with a Knight and Aria Meister — uses.
- Was able to stop an unleashed Rin in his tracks and even force him back (though this could have been because Rin was too shocked to retaliate).
- In Chapter 55 he battles against Izumo's fox familiars and utterly annihilates both within seconds, presumably killing them permanently.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Shima demonstrates he is this in Chapter 56 when he suggests to Lucifer that the Illuminati guards have a better chance of defeating Rin, because he would most likely hesitate to kill humans, pointing out that love is fragile and is both his strength and his weakness.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: He has no goals and chose the Aria class only because Bon and Konekomaru chose to become Arias as well. According to them the Knight class suits him better, and Konekomaru calls him out on not being motivated enough to choose so. It looks like he found it in working for the Illuminati.
- Dissonant Serenity: Since his Face-Heel Turn in Chapter 48, he's maintained his easygoing, laidback attitude, but with that same tone he flat out tells Izumo that he hates everything, and is very comfortable with telling Lucifer that Rin's weakness is his capacity to love humans. He also seems okay with sending Izumo to her Fate Worse Than Death, and before that, apologizes to his friends and says goodbye to them as if he didn't just kidnap Izumo and casually counter Rin's attacks. But see Stepford Smiler below for why.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Towards Izumo.
- Familiar: Can summon Yamantaka, a very high-level demon made of black flames. According to Shima, he's been able to call him up since he was a child.
- Last Name Basis: Even his childhood friends Konekomaru and Ryuji only call him by his last name. When Bon does call him by his first name, it's during a very serious moment.
- Let's Get Dangerous: His response to Izumo being threatened by Takara is to stop holding back and go all out; but it's all an act...
- Lovable Coward: Contemplates running away most of the time.
- Nun Too Holy: Despite being raised in a temple and training to be a monk and exorcist it doesn't seen to stop him from trying to flirt with almost every girl he meets, especially around Izumo. Lampshaded by Konekomaru...
- Playing with Fire: He can summon a creature which uses black flames to burn demons and human souls.
- Power Strain Blackout: He can summon Yamantaka, but he knocks out immediately afterwards for hours at a time. Though this seems to be averted in later chapters. At least the fainting part; he certainly looks very tired and strained.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: To match his outgoing, positive, flirty and friendly persona, much to his father's chagrin...
- Dye Hard: ...as it wasn't originally pink. Which may be foreshadowing the fact that his "sweetie" traits are just as fake as the rose hair is.
- Say It with Hearts: When speaking to freaking Lucifer! While giving him a double peace sign and goofy grin.
- Shaping Your Attacks: He has used his black flames to form a spear tip, a buzzsaw-like wave and even paper-thin spikes of fire that erupt from the ground.
- Simple Staff: His weapon of choice, leading Konekomaru to think he would make a good knight meister. He does.
- Stepford Smiler: Reveals that despite his happy, cheery demeanor, he actually hates everything, except, the ladies. This results in some major Dissonant Serenity since he's working for the Illuminati and doesn't really seem to care...unless you pay attention to his eyes.
- Super Strength: He sends Rin flying with a single swipe of his khakkhara.
- Theme Naming: His older siblings are named Kinzou (not that one) and Juuzou (not that one, either). Later on we find out his father Yaozou and his late eldest brother Takezou fall under this as well. The middle sibling is also named Gozo, and it fully seems to be something all the guys in his family get.
- The Unfavorite: We meet his family during the Myou Dha arc - his mother threatens him instead of saying goodbye and his brothers treat Bon and Konekomaru better than how they treat him. Probably a major contributor to his ties to the Illuminati.
- Walking Spoiler: As of Chapter 48 it's impossible talk about him without bringing up his traitor status.
- Wham Line: "Okumura, a piece of advice. From now on, you'll need to be prepared to kill humans if you want to win."
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: His entomophobia is a recurring personal problem, especially against insect based demons which causes him to either freeze up or enter a blind "flight or fight" frenzy (as seen during the camping trip). If you see him willingly touch an insect (like the moth in the movie) you know something's wrong.
The other of the Kyoto trio. He's a short priest with a shaved head and a timid nature. Good at reciting scripture, though not nearly at the level that Bon can.
- Animal Motifs: Cats. His name, his design, his likes, and his dislikes all go along with this.
- Awesome McCoolname: at least in Rin's opinion
- Awesomeness by Analysis: His judgment is based mostly on observation, allowing him to suggest prudent actions that turn situations around.
- Crossdressing Voices: Only in the English version.
- Determinator: Definitely the physically weakest of the main Exwires, but the guy just refuses to give up, especially when people he cares about are in danger.
- Driven to Suicide: Nearly, when he thought he was going to be eaten by the chimera zombies. He got better.
- Happily Adopted: By his best friend's family no less.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Initially the guy basically thought he was useless, but he's been steadily increasing his confidence since what happened with the family portrait.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: He even carries a cat toy with him in case he sees any strays or Kuro.
- Nerd Glasses: To make him look more catlike.
- Nice Guy: Polite and kind to everyone. Slightly deconstructed later on when Suguro points out that he has a habit of keeping his emotions buried to avoid hurting other people's feelings.
- Parental Abandonment: His parents both died on the Blue Night.
- Theme Naming: Let's see, loves cats, drinks hot milk every day, hates being cold. His first name almost literally translates to 'Circle of Kittens'.
- The Short Guy with Glasses: One of the shortest males in the cast...
- The Smart Guy: His main role on the team.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: See the above for reference.
- Shrinking Violet: Has some shades of this, particularly in how he tends to keep his feelings bottled up.
- The Strategist: He shapes up to be this, which leads him to give the team...
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: ...so that they can realize their faults and improve on them to better their teamwork.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Briefly, after discovering Rin was the son of Satan. It wasn't so much that he became a jerk though, as being straight-up terrified of Rin, to the point where he thought it was dangerous to be around him. He gets better though, following a pretty sweet moment with Rin
One of the cram school students. He doesn't talk, instead uses a Bunny Rabbit puppet to communicate rudely
to the others.
- Deep Sleep: Since his puppet said "Nemu go back to sleep" immediately after Takara opened his eyes during the fight with Shima that may mean that he has been sleeping through every cram class, conversation, and event he has been present for so far.
- Don't Wake the Sleeper: At least his hand puppet seems to think so, since even briefly waking up caused it to tell Takara to go back to sleep.
- Hand Puppet: His Pink Rabbit he uses to talk. Then again, it seems the human is the puppet and the rabbit is the ventriloquist.
- Eyes Always Shut: Adding to his unusual and mysterious appearance. Justified since he doesn't need to see since he is asleep while his demon possessed puppet controls him.
- Expy: Let's see: A rather short blond haired boy who is actually an upper-classman of sorts when compared to the rest of cast, has a pink rabbit plush he carries around, has a surprisingly vicious temper despite his appearance, and has... issues with being woken up. Are we talking about Nemu or Honey-sempai?
- Jerkass: When he does talk he is very rude. Or at least his demon is.
- Last Name Basis: No one ever uses his first name since they don't know him well enough.
- Marionette Master: An unusual variety of Tamer, able to summon and control dolls. At least, that's what the demon controlling him claims he is.
- Meaningful Name: The name Nemu can mean "Sleep" and if his puppet is to be believed then in every scene of him so far Takara has been asleep, possibly so his demon can control him better.
- Red Herring: Incredibly suspicious kid older than the other cram students and possible more powerful than he should be? Gotta be The Mole... except he isn't. Though that doesn't mean he's in the clear, as now the audience must wonder what a "Coordinator" means here.
- Sleepwalking: In a matter of speaking, since his demon has been controlling Takara's body while he's asleep.
- The Quiet One: He rarely speaks but when he does it is only through his puppet.
- Ventriloquism: Communicates using a rabbit puppet.
- Walking Spoiler: At this point, talking about him reveals a good chunk of the plot.
True Cross Academy Staff
Mephisto Pheles / Samael
Chairman of the True Cross Academy who, after Fujimoto died, was ordered to kill Rin. However, he accepted Rin's proposal in becoming an Exorcist and entered him into True Cross Academy. Can turn into a dog.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Of eye color variety. He has blue eyes in the manga and green eyes in the anime.
- Anti Anti Christ: He's a demon, one of Satan's kin, who's convinced that "peace is the disorder in which people can coexist", loves the human world, and only wants to protect it in a way any sane human can consider reasonable.
- Authority Equals Asskicking/Royals Who Actually Do Something: He's 3rd highest ranking of all demon in terms of strength and one of the Eight Demon Kings. He's right below Lucifer in terms of strength in the Gehenna Hierarchy. He is also an Honorary Knight which, in exorcist rankings, is two ranks below Paladin. It's possible he'd be higher too, were it not for his heritage.
- Beware the Nice Ones/Beware the Silly Ones: He's actually pretty friendly and personable most of the time. Even if he comes off as creepy, he rarely ever says a harsh word to anyone and is always very polite. Furthermore, he's an Otaku who loves to dress in hilariously flamboyant fashions while also going on Large Ham speeches about various things and making a spectacle of himself. His room is filled with plushies and fandom merchandise. He's the third most powerful demon in the Gehenna hierarchy - after Satan and Lucifer. And he is also Samael, master of time and space, able to restrain Amaimon and Rin at the same time if he has to, without breaking a sweat. His rage has only come close to being triggered once and it was by Shura, who tried to interrogate him. She immediately knew to back off.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Very Camp and a large ham but a high ranking exorcist, dean of a prestigious school the size of a city, and one of the strongest demon kings of Gehenna.
- Camp Straight: Definitely camp (especially in the anime) and most likely straight as he's commented in the manga that he shares Rin's preference for women of the "devilish" type. He also has some Ship Tease with Shura in the manga.
- The Chessmaster/Guile Hero/Manipulative Bastard: Depending on who he's really working for (other than himself), Mephisto is shaping up to be one of these. Pity the guys on the other side.
- Demon Lords and Archdevils: As it turned out he's Samael the King of Time and Space, third most powerful among the demons in hell.
- Devil in Plain Sight: While he certainly is a son of Satan, he was also close friends with Fujimoto and is one of the good guys right now. Technically, at least. See For the Lulz below. Turns out all the exorcists know who he really is, except Rin.
- Eccentric Mentor: If Mephisto really is on the side of the Exorcists, then he is this. Older than most of other characters? Check. Knows more than he lets on most of the time? Check. Usually acts like comic relief? Check. Eccentric? Double check. Cares not for what others may think? Considering his fashion sense, probably check. Acts like a mentor/protector/guide? Check, to his students and school. More powerful than he shows? Considering he was able to drag a berserker Rin around while calmly sheathing his sword and pleasantly talking to someone, that would most likely be a checknote . Seems to prefer letting his students solve problems by themselves? Mostly check, with him making a few nudges here and there. He seems to fit this trope very well but then, if he's not on the side he claims to be on, he may be a subversion.
- Familiar: Has two different ones so far. One is Ukobach, a demon who, as shown in the anime, cooks food for Rin and Yukio. The other is apparently disguised as his umbrella◊ most of the time.
- For the Lulz: His reason for being the leader of the side that wants to take down his dad is because he's bored. And because humans are entertaining.
- Gratuitous German: While it is the correct usage, he gratuitously uses "eins, zwei, drei" occasionally, which simply means "one, two, three". He has also used two spells called "Kuchen Cuckoo House" (kuchen being the German word for "cake", used in other languages to describe various other sweets) and "Das Stärkste Gefängnis", meaning "the Strongest Prison". This is possibly justified in that his namesake originates from German folklore.
- Hellish Pupils: To make him seem untrustworthy and show that he's a demon.
- Idiot Hair: As seen here◊. It's hidden under the hat.
- I Have Many Names: He's also known as Loki, Watari Garasu, Raven, and Trickster.
- Immortality Begins at Twenty: Despite being used for (at least) two hundred years, his human host still looks to be in his thirties.
- The Insomniac: The tankobon claims he has one hour of sleep a night.
- Intrigued by Humanity: And Japan, too.
- Large Ham: Loud clothes, loud voice, and has an entire amusement park named after him.
- Lethal Chef: He used his cooking to threaten/encourage Rin and Yukio to make up with Ukobach.
- Man in White: More often than not.
- Meaningful Name/Named After Somebody Famous: Named after the demon in the archetypal Deal with the Devil German tale of Faust.
- Mood-Swinger: Goes from silly and casual to deadly serious and back again.
- Morphic Resonance: No matter what he turns into he keeps his primarily white color scheme and has a pink polka dotted scarf around his neck. His bug form even has a mini version of his human form's top hat.
- Nice Hat: A distinctive top hat he keeps when he turns into a bug.
- Otaku: According to the character profiles in the tankobon, he enjoys movies, manga, anime, video games, music, toys, and subcultures. He admits it in chapter 39, and seems to be outright proud of it.
- Public Domain Character: In the anime continuity, at least, where it's made explicit that he is the very same Mephistopheles who contracted with Faust in the original folktale. In the manga, this remains to be seen.
- Really 700 Years Old: Has been working with the exorcists for 200 years and is older than Amaimon who is over 1000 years old.
- Reality Warper: Amongst others, he was shown to be able to transform into a dog, pull a clock out of his hat (in which he was able to hide/entrap Amaimon), transport Rin's and his own conscious to Gehenna, and he also made the Exorcist shop inaccessable by physical means. As it turned out, he's the King of Time and Space.
- Time Stands Still: One of his powers he can use. It is seen used to stop the slowly expanding artificially created Gehenna Gate. Unfortunately this will last four to five months at best.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: When he isn't wearing his silliest outfit (the one with the tights and the puffy pants,) he's this and has worn both a simple white suit and a striped, but still snazzy, one. It seems to depend on his mood and the occasion.
- Smart People Play Chess: All There in the Manual, and somewhat implied in-universe, that he's good at chess. And, of course, he's very smart indeed.
- Space Master: As the Demon King of Time and Space, he has this ability. It only came up a few times so far, like when he trapped Ammaimon in his hat, or when he transported Rin's and his own soul to Gehenna.
- Stealth Pun/Visual Pun: His animal forms seem based on these: He turns into a dog in order to seem more like "Man's best friend" and he turns into a literal version of an Incredibly Obvious Bug to try and spy on his students For the Lulz.
- Tareme Eyes: Like his brother, Amaimon, it's an unusual case of an ambiguously-aligned, adult man having them.
- Tights Under Shorts: His most regular outfit has this.
- Time Master: He is the demon lord of time, thus giving him this ability and more.
- Trickster Mentor: He does teach Rin, even though his methods are somewhat harsh, he can be straight forward when he feels like it.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He can turn into things like a dog and a bug to help him go around more freely and to spy on people respectively.
27-year-old Upper First Class Exorcist swordsman. Prefers wearing clothing that does little to hide her incredibly curvy figure. Has long red hair and acts a bit childish. Also an instructor.
A survivor of the blue night who acts as the students first tamer teacher.
- Crusading Widower: After his wife was killed by Satan he has been trying to avenge her.
- Heel Realization: When Rin begs him to not involve innocents, he realizes his quest for revenge was wrong.
- Improbable Weapon User: Wields what may first appear to be a standard BFS is actually a giant compass, to make summoning circles.
- Put on a Bus: Disappears after his Day in the Limelight.
- Survivors Guilt: A combination of this and knowing that while possessed by Satan on the blue night he killed his family is the reason for his desire for revenge on Satan and those related to him.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: His quickly introduced, tries to kill Rin, then just as quickly disappears. Averted in the anime, where he briefly comes back.
A weird teacher who will abandon his students in the middle of class because he recived a phone call from his, apparent, girlfriend.
- Gonk: While more subtle than most his design (especially his face) can appear rather odd when compared to the rest of the cast.
- Gratuitous English: He has been known to use this.
- Sickening Sweethearts: Assumedly with the women who called him, since it sounded like he was calling her "Kitty" as a petname.
- Taking the Bullet: In the Anime Only, he blocks and takes an attack from Satan to protect his students. He survives.
True Cross Academy Students
A Bully who Rin fights with and is later possessed by a demon.
- Adaptational Badass: In the anime, he is explicitly stated to have been possessed by Astaroth, the Demon King of Rot.
- Jerk Ass: He was introduced shooting doves with a crossbow in a public park (Anime) or pinning them down to cut off their legs (Manga).
- Put on a Bus: Though he should be in the True Cross Academy he has only been seen in an anime extra since his exorcism.
- Starter Villain: The demon used him to try and find Rin to take him back to Gehenna, thus leading to Rin's awakening and starting the plot.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Both before and after his possession.
Izumo's first friend and a former cram school student.
- Last Name Basis: Everyone, including Izumo, uses "Paku" when referring to and talking to her.
- Morality Pet: Towards Izumo, though it took Paku a while to object to how Izumo badly was treating Shiemi, who only wanted to be friends.
- Nice Girl: Very much so, as she's the first person in Izumo's life to befriend her and is quite capable of looking past her harsh exterior.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Izumo, but she happily ships her with Rin to Izumo's chagrin.
- Satellite Character: Very little is known about her aside from her friendship with Izumo and is rarely seen without her.
- Shipper on Deck: A special version who encourages both Shiemi and Izumo, despite the fact they share a Love Interest.
A normal True Cross student who Rin wants to make friends with after learning how he started seeing demons.
- The Everyman: Which is what made him seeing Demons so strange.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: His reaction to seeing demons, leading Rin to look for a cure for him. Later subverted since after Rin gets the "Demon Eye Drops" Godaiin chooses not to use them.
- Last Name Basis: Rin only refers to him by his last name. Hilariously, it was bad enough that one of the questions asked of Kato was what his first name was.
- Nice Guy: He quickly accepts Rin's half-demon status, though he still doesn't know he's the Son of Satan.
- Satellite Character: His entire presence in the series is mostly to give Rin a friend outside of cram school and to give a hint to what the Illuminati's plan is about.
True Cross Order
Adoptive father of Rin and Yukio, Badass Preacher
, and a member of the True Cross Order
. Rather eccentric. A loving father. Former Paladin. Now deceased.
- Badass Preacher: The head father of his church, and was a former Paladin.
- Cool Old Guy: From what little we've seen of him he was definitely one of these.
- Death by Origin Story: In the first chapter/second episode, Satan uses Demonic Possession and takes over his body to tell Rin that he's the son of Satan. He fights him off but doesn't manage to live.
- Generation Xerox: In a flashback in the manga his personality is exactly like Rin's.
- Give Him a Normal Life: Sealed away Rin's demonic powers and tried to hide his true nature to give him a normal life.
- Good Shepherd: Aside from the exorcist thing, he does the "mundane" sort of preaching in a monastery. He's Rin's father in two senses of the word.
- Heroic Sacrifice: To stop Satan from kidnapping Rin.
- Heroic Willpower: Satan has been trying to possess him for years pre-series. He always failed because Fujimtoto's will was too strong.
- Nun Too Holy: Sounded like he was very interested in the ladies despite priests needing to be chaste.
- His character profile reveals one of his favourite pastimes was collecting porn magazines. Wow.
- The Paladin: Until his death, he was the highest ranking exorcist of the world.
- Papa Wolf: Towards his adoptive children he would fend off SATAN himself.
- Parental Substitute: He was this to Rin and Yukio before dying.
- Posthumous Character: Even though he was introduced BEFORE he died a lot about him was only learned though flashbacks.
- Smoking Is Cool: He was often seen smoking and was a pretty cool guy.
Arthur Auguste Angel
The newly appointed Paladin. Angel follows the orders of the Vatican to a T. He'll do so even knowing full well that his actions are immoral in the eyes of others. Very little is known about his past.
- Alliterative Name: Arthur. Auguste. Angel.
- Big Damn Heroes: In episode 25.
- BFS: Caliburn. And it talks, too!
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Shura calls him "a saint on the outside and a devil on the inside". He's also shown shades of a sadistic personality.
- Calling Your Attacks: ANGEL SLASH!
- Creepy Cool Crosses: Although not exactly creepy, it is seen that his sword has a cross emblazoned on the blade.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Both on the delivering and receiving ends. He easily manages to subdue both Rin and Shura, but when Amaimon went into an Unstoppable Rage, he was almost immediately knocked out.
- This man is a tool in every sense of the word, but he is undeniably Bad Ass. He One-Hit KO the Impure Princess, a similar demon just under the Impure King in the decay family of demons, which took Rin merging with a higher-tier demon and about 200 other exorcists to beat. He's the Paladin for a reason.
- Fantastic Racism: In the anime, "for the kin of Satan, just being alive is a sin!" In the manga, referring to Mephisto, "his kind specializes in deceit!"
- Green-Eyed Monster: In chapter 38 of the manga, we see just how upset he was that he didn't get the chance to fight the Impure King, and sees how Rin was the one to defeat it as adding insult to injury.
- Honor Before Reason: As of episode 24, he's admitted to realizing that the Vatican is going in the wrong direction, but he refuses to betray them and will still follow his orders.
- Idiot Hero: Whether or not he truly counts as a "Hero" may vary, but he is the Paladin...and even admits to being dimwitted.
- Jerk Ass: Arrogant, takes great pleasure in antagonizing the other characters (Rin in particular), has plenty of Kick the Dog moments, and frequently refers to the memory of his predecessor (who was both a better paladin and overall person) with open contempt.
- Kick the Dog: In the anime, he takes exceptional pleasure in trying to kill Neuhause's wife despite Shiemi begging him to show her mercy
- Lawful Stupid: Arthur will follow the orders of his superiors, without question, even knowing that they may obstruct some people's good intentions. He does get a bit better in the anime where he saves Shura and Shiemi in episode 25. He also leaves without incident after the final battle. Nothing in regards to the manga though.
- The Paladin: After Fujimoto's death he was given the title of highest ranking exorcist of the Order.
- Showy Invincible Hero: "As the Paladin, I must show off my power!"
- Talking Weapon: Again, Caliburn.
Lewin Light aka Lightning
One of the four Arc Knights and often works with the current Paladin.
- Affably Evil: No matter what horrible thing he's doing he acts friendly and polite.
- Jerk Ass: When interrogating a spy he will even bring in their innocent family in order to get the information he wants.
- Nice Hat: That also covers his eyes.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Most people call him Lightning.
- Red Baron: His Nickname comes from his title "The Master of Lightning".
- The Smart Guy: Quickly figures out various things, including who's behind the Gehenna Gate in Russian and plans things out for the interrogation so he will win. Definitely contrasts him with Angel.
The Most High Priest and Bon's father.
- A Father to His Men: Is definitely this to the members of the Myōō Dharani as shown when he shows up Big Damn Heroes style to save Mamushi.
- Cool Old Guy: No matter how badly he's treated or how his temple is insulted he just smiles and stays calm to try and keep Bon from being discouraged.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: That odd, slightly perverted and almost wimpy guy over there? He is the head priest of the Myōō Dharani and if you give him a reason, he will show you that he definitely earned it.
- Playing with Fire: Through his familiar Karura.
An Upper Second Class Exorcist and the 2nd son of the Shima family.
The fourth son of the Shima family, Renzō's older brother and a Middle Second-Class exorcist.
- Attack Hello: He usually greets Shima with a tackle or a punch.
- Big Brother Bully: With the above in mind. Though, he's really a minor example and shows more care than other cases of this trope.
- Buxom Is Better: His reasoning for not accepting Juuzo wanting to marry Mamushi is because she has small breasts.
- Dumb Blond: Is an idiot and has blond hair thanks to...
- Dye Hard: having it dyed it, because the "Kin"(金) in his name means "gold".
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling / Red Oni, Blue Oni: The hot blooded foolish red oni to Juuzou's more responsible blue oni.
- Hot-Blooded: Very.
- Idiot Hero: Also very much so this.
- Innocently Insensitive: A bonus chapter focusing on a Christmas with the Kyoto Trio that takes place pre-joining up with True Cross, has him constantly forget about Renzo, calling Bon and Koneko is "precious little brothers" but makes no mention of Renzo. Renzo lampshades this but Kinzo doesn't notice.
The eldest sibling of the three Hojo daughters and a Middle First-Class exorcist at the Kyoto Branch.
The eldest sibling of Juuzou, Kinzou and Renzou. Died during the Blue Night to save Renzo and Ryuji.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Saved a baby Renzou and Bon during the Blue Night and died for it.
- Posthumous Character: His self-sacrifice shaped Kinzou's and Juuzou's dedication to exorcism. Renzou, on the other hand, is deeply bothered by the lofty status given to someone who died. The pressure his family puts on him for this leads Renzo to becoming an Illuminati Agent.
Satan, The Demon King
The ruler of Gehenna, and father of Rin and Yukio, along with Mephisto, Amaimon and Lucifer.
- Archnemesis Dad: While he may be Rin and Yukio's father he is the Big Bad of the series.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The ruler of Gehenna, first of the eight demon kings, and is so powerful his mere presence destroys almost all of his human hosts.
- Ax-Crazy: First appearance in the manga and anime reeks of this. In the anime, after possessing Yukio and playing pyromaniac he seriously keeps up that appearance. But with Yuri, he was quite sane and even inquisitive.
- Big Bad: The king of Gehenna, leader of the demons, and the primary cause of Rin's conflict...
- Bigger Bad: But fulfills this role more often especially since his eldest son Lucifer has recently taken over the Big Bad role.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Oh, Satan. When Yuri said she dreamed of a world where demons and humans could live together, she didn't mean that you should turn Assiah into a wasteland in the process. Also, "nurturing a life" implies that you are not allowed to possess said life at a later date. Poor Communication Kills indeed.
- Body Horror: Anyone he possesses without sufficient compatibility will burn and mutate.
- Demonic Possession: He tries but always fail. The number of people who can perfectly house his full power is limited to less than five people. Everyone else spontaneously bursts into flames.
- Hellfire/Technicolor Fire: His trademark blue flames.
- Love Redeems / Love Makes You Evil: In the anime's climax, he's a curious mix of both. His plan is to create a world where humans and demons can coexist because that's what Yuri, his human lover, wished for. He does this by possessing their son, merging Assiah and Gehana in apocalyptic fashion, and beating their other son when he objects.
- Occult Blue Eyes: His eyes are one of the few identifying features he is known to have.
- Playing with Fire: His signature blue flames.
- Jerkass: How he treated Rin on their first meeting, while possessing Fujimoto.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: In the anime, no one can house his flames so he can't stay in Assiah and has little understanding of life. When he fell in love with Yuri, and she was sentenced to death, he caused the Blue Night in an attempt to save her. Then again, they didn't make an attempt to gloss over all the deaths he's caused.
- Superpower Meltdown: Destroying hosts is a common problem with powerful demons, which is why they use various PowerLimiters to stay in Assiah. As the strongest demon of all his mere presence causes this these leading to a lot of gore and Body Horror for his unfortunate victims.
- Thinking Up Portals: Is the only being who can naturally, and efficiently, create a Gehenna Gate. However, there is rarely a person who can last long enough for him to create one.
Mephisto's younger brother and the second son of Satan, known as the "Earth King". He seems rather detached and childish and doesn't care much about Rin, preferring to go tour Japan.
- Anime Hair: He has a horn/spike hairstyle similar to Tao Ren's.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's only 7th or 8th highest ranking of all demons in terms of strength, making him one of the weakest of the demon kings, but see Badass below.
- Badass: He's a special kind. "I murdered so many of his brethren, so he'll cooperate". He also fights Berserk!Rin pretty well while carrying Shiemi on one shoulder. He has a reputation of being impossible for any exorcist to beat.
- Berserk Button: A good way to get him serious or into a fight is to laugh at him. So don't laugh at him. Ever.
- Beware the Silly Ones: He may be odd but he can break a man's arm by poking it and kill any exorcist who tries to stop him.
- Big Brother Bully: In a matter of speaking, towards Rin.
- Big Eater: He is often seen eating junk food and candy whenever he appears in but is one of the skinniest members of the cast.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Similar to Izumo's in fact.
- Cloudcuckoolander: He will start talking about surfing while standing on a speeding roller coaster in the middle of a fight or use his fingers as pretend binoculars while spying on his little brother.
- Creepy Blue Eyes: Possibly to help show he is one of Satan's children, see occult blue eyes and adaption dye job above.
- Curbstomp Battle: In chapter 39, he knocks Rin out in a single hit going into his true form, making it clear that Rin is not stronger than him. In the anime, the positions are reversed, as Rin is capable of incinerating him in a single blow.
- Demonic Possession: Technically, for a demon to stay in Assiah aside from being born, they have to do this. An Omake stated he's possessing some poor guy.
- Dishing Out Dirt: As the King of Earth.
- Dissonant Serenity: The whole time he's fighting Rin and the others, he seems...calm. Amused. He also lets out a cheerful "yaaaay" when Rin unsheathes Kurikara.
- Dull Surprise: Despite having almost 1000 years experience with human emotions he hasn't quite got the hang of facial expressions yet.
- Expy: Don't his facial expressions and lack of social skills somewhat resemble Niizuma Eiji?
- Familiar: His is a large hobgoblin called Behemoth.
- Fangs Are Evil: His seem more obvious than most because of how often they're shown, since he is often seen eating.
- Fun Size: In the anime he can turn into a hamster.
- Hellish Pupils: Like most demons.
- Meaningful Name: He shares a name with a Biblical Prince of Hell, which is only to be expected.
- Morphic Resonance: His hamster form is mostly green with a lighter colored hair-horn that mimics his human form.
- I Shall Taunt You: Or in this case "I will pretend to play a Japanese version of tag to get you to fight me" or "I will target your Love Interest and pretend to marry her (or chew her lips off) to make you take fighting me more seriously".
- Immortality Begins at Twenty: While his human host appears to be a teenager, the 10th volume of the manga mentions Amaimon has been using him for almost a thousand years.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By Berserk!Rin in the anime and Mephisto in the manga. Since he is a demon neither case actually kills him, only succeeding in destroying his host body and turning him into a Demon Pincushion respectively.
- Lightning Bruiser: One finger from him could break a bone and he was so fast that Rin could hardly keep up with him.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: "'Don't screw around' is my line."
- Psychopathic Manchild: He treats fighting like its a game to him, wants to kill anyone that he finds annoying, and doesn't care many people up hurt or killed because of his actions long as he doesn't upset his big brother.
- Really 700 Years Old: He is at least a thousand years old.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: His true demon form revealed with his "Demon Heart" has very lizard-like qualities like his tail design, scaled arms, and green coloration.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: Byoooooo~n.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Somewhat. Mephisto essentially has a tight leash on Amaimon at all times and basically gets called out to "train" Rin or some other errand.
- Super Power Meltdown: Why he, and most demons, hide their Demon Heart. Even throwing one super punch was enough to knock himself out because of the strain it put on his host.
- Super Strength: A poke from him breaks bone. He also launches Rin through a roller coaster by just flicking him.
- Sweet Tooth: He is often seen eating candy, possibly due to how his name sounds like "Amai Mono" which means "sweet things" in japanese.
- Tareme Eyes: An inversion where a male villain has 'em.
- Tranquil Fury: Since his face isn't that expressive he winds up looking really calm even if he's in the middle of punching someone's FACE off.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Similar to how Mephisto has purple hair and Rin has blue hair it is most likely to help show he is a demon.
A cat sith who used to be the guardian deity of some local silk farmers. Was forgotten by people as the times changed, going berserk, but Fujimoto was able to tame him and make him his familiar. Later became Rin's familiar after he calmed Kuro from the rage of hearing about Fujimoto's death.
- Badass Adorable: Adorable as a normal sized cat, badass in his giant size.
- Cool Pet: A Size shifting demonic two tailed Cait sith, thus acting as a combination of the Nekomata from Japanese mythology and the Cait Sith from Celtic folklore.
- Familiar: While not a summon like most familiars he acts as Rin's after Fujimoto's death is explained to him.
- Head Pet/Parrot Pet Position: In his small form.
- Mega Neko: He can get to be bigger then some CARS. Rin (and friends) can ride him.
- Multiple-Tailed Beast: He has two tails of the split version.
- No Pronunciation Guide: The official pronunciation (in the dub at least) is Cat-See, the actual pronunciation is supposed to be Kett-Shee.
- Panthera Awesome: He is a rather impressive example when big and could hold off a bunch of exorcists without much trouble.
- Sizeshifter: Between huge demon and normal cat sizes.
- Telepathy: Rin can read his thoughts.
Older brother of Mephisto and leader of the Illuminati. He is the demon king presiding over light.
- Affably Evil: Introduces himself very politely despite breaking the seals of True Cross Order branches around the world.
- Anime Hair: Underneath the helmet, has a point in his hair similar to Amaimon's, though not as well-defined.
- Big Entrance: Makes projections of lights and destroys the barrier around the academy when he appeared.
- Bishōnen: Fitting his normal description, though despite his pale (blond or white) hair he still looks a lot like his siblings complete with a Ahoge like bit of hair shaped like a wing that matches the pattern established by Mephisto and Amaimon and a fluffy tail like Rin's.
- Cool Helmet: Mephisto compliments him on it.
- Dark Lord on Life Support: Though only seen in the shadows in the beginning, it is heavily assumed that, during his preparation for his Big Entrance, he's shown to have been connected to a heart monitor and IV drip. When we do see all of him it's clear his condition is much worse than what was implied before.
- Ill Boy: He's still in bad shape and spends a lot of his speech pausing to cough. Now the fans have to wonder what can make a demon that ill... Judging by what he tells his scientists about making a "perfect body for his father" he might just be suffering a weaker version of Satan's tendency of destroying his hosts, like what Amaimon displayed before by releasing his Demon Heart.
- Knight Templar: Genuinely believes that mixing the worlds of Gehenna and Assiah will solve the world's ills. Mephisto disagrees, believing that the desire to overcome one's bad situation makes humanity unique.
- Light 'em Up: When he makes his entrance and subsequently destroys the barriers of True Cross Order branches around the world.
- Light Is Not Good: Leader of the big baddies and the King of Light, check.
- Meaningful Name: Lucifer means "Light-Bearer", as mentioned above under Rin.
- Super Power Meltdown: He pushed his human host just a bit too much with his big entrance and it caused him to cough up some blood. Even showing up in Assiah to talk for a short period of time causes his human body to brake down like his father does, despite still being hooked up to everything meant to keep him stable.
- Tears of Blood: Shortly after showing his human face for a brief time to speak with his subordinates he started suffering from these (along with a Psychic Nosebleed) to show how fragile his body really is.
A former exorcist, now demon. His reasons for turning traitor remain unknown but are likely related to his jealousy of
, and attempts to catch up with
, his father and siblings.
- Affably Evil: He is always very polite, even when he betrays both the exorcists and Mamushi. In fact, he arguably became even more polite after he revealed himself to be evil.
- Batman Gambit: Pulls one off by obtaining both demon eyes through a bit of manipulation and trickery, then using them to deliberately awaken the Impure King. He knew that this would cause Tatsuma to show up and try to defeat the Impure King using his familiar Kurara. This weakened Tatsuma, allowing Toudou to kill him (who was saved by a revived Karura) and allow him to eat Karura to gain his power. It had all gone according to plan.
- Breaking Speech: Gives one and more on a regular basis to Yukio.
- First one: after revealing himself as an exorcist fallen to a demon, he mentioned he was always in the shadow of his father and brothers, and he never could voice his doubts about his path. It rattles Yukio, but Yukio decides that he is not Saburota, but himself.
- Second one: In their next confrontation, Saburota says that Yukio's father and brother are what have defined his paths in life and that he had no real choice in his path, leading him to despise his brother for having no idea what agony he went through. Yukio admits that he does love and hate his brother, but above all else he hates himself the most.
- THIRD one: Following his discovery of Yukio's blue eyes (after almost killing the kid) and after Yukio thought Saburota was destroyed, Saburota regenerates and comments that self-loathing is the first step to becoming a demon and that Yukio's true nature is that of a demon. Yukio has had enough of Toudou by this point.
- Cannibalism Super Power: He noms demons to control their powers.
- Complete Immortality: The logical conclusion of combining From a Single Cell, Fountain of Youth, and how demons tend to have extremely long lifespans.
- Driven by Envy: Towards his father and brother.
- Evil Feels Good: He implies this much while talking to Yukio. Said to Yukio almost verbatim as "it's nice to be a demon".
- Manipulative Bastard: He got Yukio to talk with him during their fights despite Yukio knowing, and earlier explained to Rin and Shiemi how dangerous talking with a demon can be.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He was first seen as an Upper Second Class exorcist with a timid personality who provided some exposition about an incident involving one of the demon eyes. He seemed like an incompetent, but reasonably brave and decent, guy. And then it turns out it was all an act. He had in fact already turned traitor and only exposed himelf as The Mole in the chapter in which he was introduced. He has since shown considerable competence and cunning. He is now one to watch out for.
- Stalker Without a Crush: In his own words, he is "very interested" in Yukio.
- Start of Darkness: He described his. He wanted to be like his father and brother, but was discontent with living a life he felt was shaped by others. Ultimately he became a demon and is working for his own goals.
- The Corrupter: He convinced a loyal member of the Kyoto Branch Office to give him the dangerous Right Eye of the Impure King. He convinced Renzou to betray his family and join the Illuminati. He is actively attempting to manipulate Yukio for unknown but definitely unsavory ends.
- Youthful Freckles: A frightening inversion, as he turned younger following devouring Karura but he's still a 55 years old.
Little is known about them as a whole but so far only one of them has had their identity revealed.
- The Mole: Their main purpose for the order is to infiltrate and keep tabs on the Order of the True Cross, so far there are two in the Vatican itself and one in the Japanese branch. For tropes specific to the Japan Branch mole see Renzou Shima in the Cram School Student's section.
A doctor of the Illuminati.
Izumo's mother, and head priestess of the Inari shrine.
- Abusive Parents: Wasn't initially, but being told by your husband that he won't hang out with you because he thinks children are pains turned her into this.
- Bandage Babe: Currently spending her time covered in bandages, strapped to a wheelchair.
- Body Horror: Possessed by the spirit of the Nine-Tailed Fox and subjected to years of experimentation that has left her an emaciated, bandaged, mess.
- Demonic Possession: The weakness in her heart caused her to be possessed by the goddess of the Inari shrine.
- Dying as Yourself: Dies calling her daughters her treasures as she died.
- Fate Worse Than Death: She's been experimented on and reduced to a withered husk of a woman as a result.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She forcefully takes the Nine Tails that's possessing Izumo so that when she dies it will go with her, saving Izumo and screwing up the Illuminati's plans.
- Mama Bear: Once she's freed of the Nine Tails influence because it possessed her daughter, she stood up for what must have been the first time in years and proceeded to not only avoid its attacks but remove it.
- Miko: Older than the usual version, but was a very powerful one. She was in possession by the Nine Tails for five years and never gave in enough for it to overtake her whereas her daughter couldn't last more than a few minutes. On top of that she forcefully exorcised it out of Izumo and into her while it was trying to kill her without much effort and in a body that hadn't been mobile for ages.
- Walking Spoiler: Obviously, considering her big impact and role in regards to Izumo's past and the Illuminati.
- Woman Child: Oh boy, was she EVER!
Ernst Frederik Egin
The Grandfather to Rin and Yukio on their mother's side. He's first seen during the Blue Night in episode one and absent until the final arc. Having lost his daughter, Rin and Yukio's mother to a witch hunt, he has good reasons for his prejudice against all things demon, as well as some ill will towards members of the True Cross Order
- Church Militant: The True Cross Order was always this, but after he's appointed as the new Pope he brings it up to eleven by giving high school students enchanted sub-machine guns.
- Evil Laugh: When his gate is open and the Messiah bomb is about to drop, he lets out a mighty one of these.
- Fantastic Racism: Towards demons. Not even his daughter is safe is she shows sympathy towards them.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Why he has to wear a mask. He condemned his daughter and her blue-flame lover possessed him to free her. The result was a nasty burn mark.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Willing to kill his own grandson through an extremely painful magical/religious ritual in order to "win the war against Gehena."
Yuri Egin (Anime)
A lower-second class exorcist who gave birth to Rin and Yukio. She was known as the "Witch of the Forest" and was ordered to be burned at the stake
. This lead to the Blue Night. She was first established in the anime's continuity and she might become a Canon Foreigner
when the manga reveals more about Rin and Yukio's mother.
- All-Loving Hero: She believes that humans and demons can co-exist. In her view, the only thing preventing this from happening is a refusal to understand each other.
- Burn the Witch!: She was tied to a stake and ordered to be burned. Her demonic lover prevented that from happening.
- But Not Too Foreign: Her father is definitely not Japanese, but her name suggests that her mother was.
- Death by Childbirth: This is why she is a Posthumous Character and why Rin and Yukio had to grow up under Father Fujimoto's care instead.
- Did You Just Romance Cthulhu?: Yes, yes she did. In the anime, this is why the Blue Night happened. Her lover refused to let her be murdered, and searched for a host within the nearby clergy. All of them disintegrated immediately, except for her own father.
- Friend to All Living Things: Including demons, which caused her to be known as the "Witch of the forest" and why she could bond with SATAN of all people.
- Posthumous Character: We only learn about her through flashbacks.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: She was able to host Satan, so they bonded, one thing led to another... and then we got Rin and Yukio.
- Sympathy for the Devil: In a more literal sense, which is why she wound up having his kids.
A child-like demon Rin found who seems to have amnesia.
- Animal Motifs: A rabbit, which is why he is named Usamaro because "Usa" means "Rabbit".
- Children Are Innocent: Even demonic children apparently. Except this is a bad thing since he is too innocent to understand how much damage his attempts to "help" those around him actually causes.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: A really friendly blond once he gets used to you.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He reverses time and destroys himself to save the city.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Considering his memory loss he seems to be the victim of it... Except since he is the very same demon from the fairytale this is actually his trademark technique.
- Pure Is Not Good: Just because he is sweet and innocent child who just wants to help people doesn't mean he isn't a threat to others. Just ask the last town he "helped".
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Mostly red at least, like a rabbit's... But he is demon, which should be warning enough.
- Ret Gone: erases himself, and only Rin and Liu remember him.
- Time Lord: Kinda, since officially he is considered to be "kin of Saemel, King of Time" he can be considered one of these. His ability to "eat" memories is apparently based on erasing the event from a person's personal history, or changing past events so the person doesn't remember them happening so his connection to "Time" isn't that strange.
A Senior Exorcist First Class from the Taiwan Branch.