Characters: Accel World
open/close all folders
Haruyuki "Haru" Arita/Silver Crow
- Accidental Pervert: When Seiji uses a visual mask to lead him to the girls' shower room while Chiyuri is taking a shower. Played for drama, since it's used as blackmail material by Seiji.
- He also accidentally grabs Karen's breast during a Crash-Into Hello, and accidentally gropes Yoniko when she slips into his tub.
- Affectionate Nickname: Takumu and Chiyuri call him Haru.
- Animal Motifs:
- A literal flying pig.
- As well as a crow given the name of his avatar is Silver Crow.
- Apologises a Lot: He has very little self confidence, and tends to blame himself when bad things happen. His friends have to reassure him that it's not his fault.
- Badass: As Silver Crow in Brain Burst due to using good strategic, and fighting ability. In real life he's very much the opposite of a badass.
- Badass Adorable: Insecurities aside, he's also a sweet, caring boy. Just don't dare hurt his friends.
- Bash Brothers: With Takumu.
- Bathtub Bonding: With Kuroyukihime in the second OVA.
- Battle Couple: With Kuroyukihime.
- Berserk Button: Never mess with his friends.
- Childhood Friends: He has been friends with Takumu and Chiyuri since they were living in an apartment complex as children.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: If you consider Accel World the Spiritual Successor to Sword Art Online, Haruyuki is quite a contrast to Kirito. Kirito was a lean, confident, loner badass whereas Haruyuki is a fat, wimpy kid who tends to rely on his friends. Word of God is that the big difference between them is that Kirito was strong on the outside, but weak on the inside. Haruyuki is weak on the outside, but strong on the inside. In a more meta-sense, Kirito might exemplify the gamer's ideal image whereas Haruyuki more-or-less represents the gamer's reality. Despite this, the two were pretty evenly matched when they fought each other in a non-canon bonus chapter.
- Cyber Cyclops: Silver Crow. Though it's actually a visor covering a proper face.
- Determinator: You'd think losing a hand & having your body filled full of holes would stop anyone. Not this guy though.
- Discard and Draw: In the Dusk Taker arc, Silver Crow lost his wings to Dusk Taker, caught by his surprise attack. He then is taught how to use a powerful ability called Incarnate System by Kurasaki Fuuko (Sky Raker), and is given her Enhanced Armament, Gale Thruster (basically a jet-pack). He gives Gale Thruster back to her after defeating Dusk Taker, but he keeps the ability he learned.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: His primary motivation for Taking a Level in Badass.
- Dragged by the Collar: By Blood Leopard from the cafe straight to the Akihabara.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Silver Crow gains the elemental properties of the metal silver, rendering it resistant to piercing, slashing, fire, ice, and poison attacks; but vulnerable to crushing attacks and electricity.
- You might not know this unless you watch reruns in Japan, but Haruyuki and his pig avatar are dead ringers for Nikkumaru Sarutobi and his ninja pig Ninton from Sasuga No Sarutobi (AKA The Academy of Ninjas).
- Haru is basically a fat version of Shu Ouma. They even share the same seiyuu.
- He also has some similarities with Shinji Ikari especially with a Superpowered Evil Side.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Silver Crow is the Thief to Cyan Pile's Fighter and Lime Bell's Mage.
- Flight: His avatar's special ability in the Accelerated World, and apparently the first one to be able to do so.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Phlegmatic.
- GIFT: Notable by its absence - he's one of the few people who acts exactly the same in Brain Burst as he does in real life. Word of God says this honesty is the reason for his Chick Magnet status.
- Glass Cannon: After he grows wings.
- The Hero: Has a well balanced avatar, and makes friends of other players that end up joining his legion Nega Nebulas. Kuroyukihime is more often the leader though not him, as he doesn't have the self confidence for it.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Even as he's making a name for himself in Brain Burst, he'd still shy away from all the praise.
- I Can't Believe A Girl Like You Would Notice Me!: The main reason why he can't reciprocate Kuroyukihime's feelings.
- Innocently Insensitive: Since he believes that a girl like Kuroyukihime is out of his league, he tends to unintentionally refuse her affection and make her feel insecure about their relationship.
- Lethal Joke Character: Silver Crow. Above-average speed but terrible stats everywhere else, and its supposed Finishing Moves are just normal punches, kicks and headbutts. Then Haru figures out how to activate Crow's wings, giving him Super Speed Flight that turns even regular punches into killing blows. Then he gains access to a proper Finishing Move from another source, which can be used while flying.
- Leitmotif/Theme Music Power-Up: "Silver Wing" in the anime. While Crow is using Gale Thruster it's replaced by a remix titled "Iron Will".
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The Feminine Boy to Kuroyukihime's Masculine Girl. While Kuroyukihime has a clearly feminine appearance and isn't a tomboy by any means, Haruyuki is shorter than her and has a shy, timid, and kind personality most of the time (unless he's seriously provoked or completely snaps).
- Mistaken for Gay: He and Takumu share a rather Ho Yay moment in Episode 21 and the girls around them seem to be misinterpreting the situation.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: He tends see his relationship with Kuroyukihime this way.
- Na´ve Newcomer: He does some dumb things due to his inexperience. He once leveled up his character without earning more points first, which since it made him lose a lot of his points it put him in danger of losing Brain Burst for good if he lost them all.
- Non-Standard Character Design: He looks very different compared to the other character designs, having a very short, doughy, and round character design.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Downplayed. When Scarlet Rain attempts to infiltrate Nega Nebulus by pretending to be his second cousin and acting deceptively cute, it doesn't take him too long to check if she is really his second cousin.
- Oblivious to Love: This is because of his low self esteem. He takes to a new level by finding signs that Kuroyukihime does like him and refusing point blank to even consider it.
- Parental Issues: Implied in the Ovas.
- Power Loss Makes You Strong: He has his Flight ability stolen by Dusk Taker. Before he regained them, it allowed him to notice that the value of his Duel Avatar lies not in said ability, but in himself, gaining confidence (the lack of which was the main cause for him not being able to use Silver Crow to his full potential) in the process.
- Precision F-Strike: Courtesy of the English DubHaruyuki:Shut up Noumi, I'm sick of you, get the fuck out of my life!
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Kuroyukihime and Takumu's blue.
- Sempai Kouhai: He constantly refers to Kuroyukihime this way, and abused by Noumi through Terms of Endangerment.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Sensitive Guy to Takumu's Manly Man.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: In the latter part of Dusk Taker arc, Noumi's brutal beatdown on Cyan Pile makes Haru so supremely pissed that it temporarily awakens the piece of Chrome Disaster hiding on Silver Crow's back. The result is a crimson Battle Aura, similarly-colored incarnation attacks and a major case of flipping the hell out. As lucky as Noumi is, however, the duel timed out before anyone could gain the upper hand.
- This later becomes a standard part of his arsenal.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Tiny Guy to Kuroyukihime's Huge Girl.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: Kirito versus Haruyuki in the bonus chapter. Who won? Neither, of course. Did you actually expect anything less?
- Winged Humanoid: His avatar Silver Crow can grow wings making him this.
- Wing Pull: Silver Crow's special attack.
- Absolute Cleavage: In her net avatar.
- Action Girl: In Brain Burst she is formerly one of the original pure colored kings, and like the others is one of the strongest players in the game with a level 9 avatar.
- Action Girlfriend: To Haruyuki. She changes his life by introducing him to the Accelerated World.
- A-Cup Angst: Implied, considering her reaction to seeing Megumi's breasts.
- Affectionate Nickname: Fuuko addresses her as Sa-chan.
- All Amazons Want Hercules: An unusual example. She became enamored with Haruyuki after seeing his speed and drive in his squash games, and the only reason she had a higher score, for the purpose of getting his attention, is she had to cheat to even surpass him. The way it's presented, this in turn makes Haruyuki an unusual kind of "Hercules", but replace physical prowess with video game skill, though within a virtual game world, it still translates to physical prowess in a sense.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She's a tall girl with long black hair who possess a graceful and calm demeanor.
- Ambition Is Evil: Treated as the highest criminal in Brain Burst for trying to reach Level 10 and disrupting the Balance of Power.
- Animal Motifs: Butterflies
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Slaps Haruyuki and cries after he accuses her of using him as a pawn to degrade herself.
- Attractiveness Isolation: A problem she sees in her relationship with Haruyuki.
- Badass Adorable: Very beautiful, School Idol to boot and is the Black King, who made her descent in the virtual world through piles of her defeated enemies.
- Bathtub Bonding: With Haruyuki in the second OVA.
- Battle Couple: With Haruyuki.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Although she is generally polite and well meaning, she won't hesitate to kick ass if Haruyuki and co are in danger.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: The Black Lotus's arms have absurdly sharp blades that are able to cut and damage anything.
- Butterfly of Doom: Anti-Hero example.
- Cain and Abel: She considers her sister White Cosmos her worst enemy because she tricked her into beheading Red Rider.
- Child Hater: She says she dislikes children, especially those like Niko.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She easily gets jealous whenever another girl gets close to Haruyuki.
- Cool Big Sis: Despite her claims of hating kids, she acts very mentor-ish around Coral Merrow and Lagoon Dolphin, and even seems to enjoy their company. Meanwhile, her interactions with Niko are part this and Vitriolic Best Buds.
- Cry Cute: After she and Fuuko/Sky Raker finally mend their broken friendship.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She says her "parent" betrayed her and is now her worst enemy. It's later revealed that her "parent" is her sister who tricked her into killing Red Rider.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She has a black motif and is seen as highest criminal in Brain Burst. In actuality, she's an Anti-Hero, but not a bad person.
- Deadly Hug: Her attack Death By Embrace, a hug that decapitates her enemy.
- Declaration of Protection: She swears to Haruyuki that she will protect him right before saving him from being hit by a car.
- Deus Exit Machina: She is in a school trip during the Dusk Taker arc, which results on Haru and Taku having to deal with Noumi alone.
- Dogged Nice Girl: A mild version. She confesses to Haruyuki during the first arc, but has decided to wait until he gains enough self confidence to reciprocate her feelings.
- Don't Call Me Sir: She has told Haruyuki to stop calling her "Sempai" and even has revealed her true name to him. However, he doesn't feel ready to call her by her name.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Megumi appears to.
- Expy: Her black colour scheme, two-blade fighting style, high level and generally calm demeanor call back to Kirito of Sword Art Online. She even has attacks called Vorpal Strike and Starburst Stream, with much the same effects as the Sword Skills of the same name.
- Flat "What.": When she realizes that Haruyuki actually went with her suggestion to direct link with Chiyuri (which is equivalent to a very close date) to investigate Cyan Pile, her expression goes to a fault.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric.
- Freakiness Shame: She thinks her Duel Avatar is ugly because her limbs are blades instead. Haruyuki finds it beautiful, though.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: She says she realized her feelings for Haruyuki when he mentioned that he has cabled with Chiyu with a short cable.
- Hair Antennae: They fit with her butterfly motif since they resemble butterfly antennae.
- Hair Decorations: Her net avatar wears a headband.
- Hellish Horse: She pulls a Big Damn Heroes while riding one of these.
- Heroic BSOD: She faints after being forced to remember how she killed Red Rider.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Used Physical Full Burst to save Haruyuki from being hit by a car, consuming 99% of her Burst Points and causing her a few days' retirement at the hospital.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline: In her net avatar.
- Just the Way You Are: She loves Haruyuki just the way he is.
- Lady of War: Her Duel Avatar glides around just above the ground, giving her movements a smooth, graceful quality, and she carries herself in a calm and elegant manner.
- The Leader: Of her legion Nega Nebulas. She gives them missions to protect territories, and guides them on getting stronger.
- Leotard of Power: Her avatar in the OVA.
- Leitmotif/Theme Music Power-Up: "Alert Sign" in the anime. During her battle with Yellow Radio it's replaced by the "raio0" remix.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The dark to Chiyuri, Megumi and Fuuko's light.
- Lightning Bruiser: Black Lotus is insanely fast, deals borderline One Hit Kills against weaker Duel Avatars, and is immune to grapples and restraining attacks.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The Masculine Girl to Haruyuki's Feminine Boy. While she has a clearly feminine appearance and isn't a tomboy by any means, she is the more action-oriented and remains the better fighter for most of the series.
- Meaningful Name: Her nickname, Kuroyukihime, translates to Princess Snow Black. You can already guess what she ended up being...
- Mentor Archetype: To Haruyuki.
- Non-Uniform Uniform: For apparently no reason at all, she wears a darker version of the school uniform. It does fit her nicely though.
- Only Known by Their Nickname:
- To readers/viewers, as there are a few characters who know her name. Although she states that her real name isn't that different from her nickname.
- Taken to insane levels when she presents her name tag (which supposedly can't be hacked) and it shows her nickname instead of her name.
- Fuuko addresses her as Sa-chan in the final episode. It still doesn't tell us anything about her real name but is a start.
- Opera Gloves: In her net avatar.
- Parasol of Prettiness: In her net avatar.
- Sword Cane: In the OVA.
- Parental Neglect: Her parents don't even bother to show up at the hospital after she is hit by a car.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Her net avatar has this.
- Power Gives You Wings: In the OVA, when she merges with Haruyuki.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: She wears black tights while in her school uniform.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is past her back.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: She has very dark hair and pale skin and is seen as beautiful.
- Red Baron: Known by the title "World End"
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue (with Takumu) to Haruyuki's red.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Megumi.
- School Idol: She's the most popular girl in her grade, and is part of the student council.
- Sempai/Kohai: She is the sempai to Haruyuki and co.
- Sexy Backless Outfit: In her net avatar.
- Sexy Mentor: She's very beautiful and acts as The Tease towards her protege and Love Interest Haruyuki.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Huge Girl to Haruyuki's Tiny Guy.
- Tsundere: She is more of a Type B. Kuroyukihime is usually very calm and likeable, but turns very tsun when she sees Haruyuki with other girls or he does something that upsets her. The second ending of the Anime is basically her in tsun-mode over Haruyuki.
- Tsurime Eyes: She displays these eyes and she has a confident and aloof personality.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Yuniko. They display animosity toward each other, because Yuniko has a hard time admitting she enjoys their company around her.
- Winged Humanoid: Her net avatar has large butterfly wings.
- Wings Do Nothing: The wings in her net avatar are mere decoration.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Her avatar in the OVA.
Chiyuri "Chiyu" Kurashima/Lime Bell
- Absolute Cleavage: Her avatar in the OVA.
- Action Girl: Mostly in the OVA.
- Affectionate Nickname: Haruyuki and Takumu call her Chiyu.
- Amicable Exes: With Takumu.
- Arm Cannon: As Lime Bell and weaponizes Cyan Pile in the OVA.
- Badass Adorable: As Lime Bell who is cute and a competent fighter.
- Badass Cape: As Lime Bell.
- Cat Girl: Wears a cat-face hair ornament, and her in-school avatar is basically her in a cat suit.
- Cat Smile: Does this on occasion with her net avatar.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She is dating Takumu at first, but she seems to be doing it just to maintain his friendship.
- Childhood Friends: With Haruyuki and Takumu, who she has known for most of her life.
- Cute Bruiser: Her avatar Lime Bell can whop other players pretty hard with her bell.
- Fake Defector: Joins up with Dusk Taker, an Avatar who can steal others' abilities, just so she could find a chance to restore Haruyuki's wings after they were stolen. Once she has sufficiently leveled up, discovered the true nature of her powers, and secretly tipped Kuroyukihime of the showdown with Noumi, she drops the act and restores Haruyuki's wings.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Lime Bell is the Mage to Cyan Pile's Fighter and Silver Crow's Thief.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine.
- Genki Girl: She's a very cheerful and energetic, at least when her friends are happy, but even then she still tries to be to cheer them up.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Gets jealous of how Kuroyukihime got close to Haruyuki and solved his problems so quickly, since Chiyuri had been trying for a long time to help Haruyuki with his problems but never accomplished it.
- Hair Decorations: Has her little cat pin on one side and hair clips on the other.
- The Heart: She always tries her best in order to maintain her friends together.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Tiny Girl to Cyan Pile's Huge Guy in the Accelerated World.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: During the first arc, she appears to have feelings for Haruyuki, but gives up on him once she accepts Kuroyukihime is the only one who can help him.
- Leotard of Power: Her avatar in the OVA.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The light to Kuroyukihime's dark.
- Magical Girl: What her Duel Avatar Lime Bell looks like.
- Master of the Mixed Message: She is dating Takumu, but she appears to have feelings for Haruyuki. Takumu usually notices Chiyuri sad while they are together because she is worried about Haruyuki. This is the source of Takumu's jealousy.
- Meaningful Name: May or may not be intended, but her nickname "Chiyu" written in kanji means "healing" or "cure".
- The Medic: The third Avatar with healing abilities. Actually what she does is turn back a target Avatar's personal time to before they were injured.
- Na´ve Newcomer: She thinks of the Accelerated World as a simple game at first.
- Nice Hat: In her Duel Avatar.
- Official Couple: With Takumu until the end of the first arc. The novels have Takumu saying, at the start of the second arc, that they've broken up. The anime omits this line, but keeps Haruyuki asking Takumu during third arc whether he wants to be Chiyu's boyfriend again. As a result, when and why they broke up isn't as clear in the anime.
- Red Baron: Known by the title Time Witch
- Stone Wall: Unlike most Duel Avatars, Lime Bell can smash through walls without taking Scratch Damage, which is quite a feat, considering most early healers are Squishy Wizards.note Thus, she can charge up her killer move gauge without even fighting. The effectiveness of her time reversal abilities plus her incredible defense (though not yet on Green Grandee's level) makes her the ideal healer. But that still remains to be seen until White Cosmos appears.
- Throw the Book at Them: She does this in behalf of Takumu's suggestion to show her how the Burst Link works.
- Time Master: She's able to turn back a target Avatar's personal time.
- We Used to Be Friends: All she really wanted was to stay friends with Haruyuki and Takumu, and is extremely depressed about seeing the three of them drifting apart. They eventually get better.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Along with her school uniform in the manga. Also, her avatar in the OVA.
Takumu "Taku" Mayuzumi/Cyan Pile
Voiced by: Shintaro Asanuma (Japanese), Lucien Dodge (English)Another childhood friend of Haruyuki and Chiyuri, the latter whom is his current girlfriend. He used to attend a prestigious school before transferring to be with his two childhood friends. Often takes part in kendo tournaments.
- Affectionate Nickname: Haruyuki and Chiyuri call him Taku.
- Amicable Exes: With Chiyuri.
- The Atoner: After being defeated by Silver Crow, he shows evident aspects of this.
- Badass: He could technically count as this in Brain Burst and in real life, since he's talented at Kendo, and is pretty good at the game too.
- Bash Brothers: Post-Heel-Face Turn, with Haruyuki.
- Broken Ace: He is friendly, smart, athletic... pretty much everything Haru wishes he was. But as it turns out, he was bullied by his seniors in his earlier days. This ultimately drove him to do anything to one day get back at them.
- Butt Monkey: In the Accel Assault OVA. The main story has a milder variation, in that Cyan Pile tends to die or get his limbs cut off to show how strong his opponent is.
- Chest Blaster: Cyan Pile's Splash Stinger shoots needles from panels in his chest.
- Childhood Friend Romance: He has a crush on Chiyuri and they're dating until the end of the first arc.
- Childhood Friends: With Haruyuki and Chiyuri.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Pre-Heel-Face Turn.
- Fairytale Motifs: His standard avatar bears more than a slight resemblance to the Tin Woodsman.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Cyan Pile is the Fighter to Lime Bell's Mage and Silver Crow's Thief.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Inverted. Prior to his Heel-Face Turn, Takumu uses the enhanced abilities granted by Brain Burst to correct his vision. Post-Heel-Face Turn, he begins wearing his glasses again, showing that he's no longer relying on artificial means to improve himself.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Melancholic.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Haruyuki at first. He gets better.
- Heel-Face Turn: When he leaves his legion to join Kuroyukihime's.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Huge Guy to Lime Bell's Tiny Girl in the Accelerated World.
- Innocent Innuendo: A minor Running Gag, particularly in the anime. He refers to Kuroyukihime as "Master", and some of his conversations with Haru have been sufficiently vague that eavesdroppers mistook one for a love confession. Then there's the Accel Assault OVA where he gasps as Chiyu shoves her fist inside him. His avatar even attacks by impaling enemies on an extending spike.
- Jack-of-All-Trades/Master of None: Spent some of his level-up bonuses on, among other things, gaining new attack forms; while this makes Pile more flexible, he's not as powerful as avatars who focus entirely on one ability like his teammates.
- Jerkass: At first he acts like one because he's initially an antagonist toward the main characters. He mellows out later.
- The Lancer: Post-Heel-Face Turn he helps Haruyuki level up thanks to his greater experience and skills. Also a literal lancer since his weapon is a pile driver, which acts much like a spear.
- Lightning Bruiser: Cyan Pile can actually keep up with Silver Crow despite its large frame. Turned Up to Eleven once he acquires Cyan Blade.
- Meaningful Name: Cyan is his avatar's color.
- Mistaken for Gay: He and Haruyuki share a rather Ho Yay moment in Episode 21 and the girls around them seem to be misinterpreting the situation.
- Multi-Melee Master
- Cool Sword: Cyan Blade, thanks to his Incarnate System training with Scarlet Rain.
- Pile Bunker: His main weapon. Much to Haruyuki's surprise during his battle against Cyan Pile, his pile bunker can be used (albeit less efficiently) in mid/long-range combat, being particularly useful in tight spaces such as corridors.
- Nice Guy: Turns into this thanks to Character Development.
- Official Couple: With Chiyuri until the end of the first arc. The novels have Takumu saying, at the start of the second arc, that they've broken up. The anime omits this line, but keeps Haruyuki asking Takumu during third arc whether he wants to be Chiyu's boyfriend again. As a result, when and why they broke up isn't as clear in the anime.
- One Head Taller: Than Chiyuri.
- The Professor: Niko's nickname for him. Eventually sticks and is occasionally used by everybody else around him too. He doesn't like it, though.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue (shared with Kuroyukihime) to Haruyuki's red.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Manly Man to Haruyuki's Sensitive Guy.
- The Smart Guy: He knows a lot about Brain Burst.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: He's pretty knowledgable, and deliberately wears glasses to looks this way. Yukino nicknamed him "The Professor" because of this.
- Stalker with a Crush: Pre-Heel-Face Turn, he installed a virus in Chiyuri's neurolink so he can spy on her at any time.
- Talking Weapon: In the OVA, he turns into an Arm Cannon for Chiyuri.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Though at the cost of exposing his issues.
- The Worf Effect: Having the biggest and strongest-looking avatar on your team is tough.
Fuuko Kurasaki/Sky Raker
- Action Girl: Her avatar is level 8, and she is pretty competent in a fight, although she prefers to play defensively.
- An Arm and a Leg: Gets her avatar legs cut off by a reluctant Black Lotus, in hopes it will allow her Enhanced Armament to make real flight possible.
- Artificial Limbs: In real life. It is also what caused her Duel Avatar to manifest its jetpack: Gale Thruster.
- Handicapped Badass: Is a competent fighter in Brain Burst despite losing the use of her avatar's legs.
- Hime Cut: Her duel avatar has a hair style like this
- Jet Pack: Her Enhanced Armament, Gale Thruster.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The light to Kuroyukihime's dark.
- Nice Hat: Her avatar Sky Raker wears a sun hat.
- Not Disabled In VR: Played with. She is legless in real life, but able to live normally with prosthetics. Her avatar on the other hand looks a lot like a person in a wheelchair. However, her abilities are not any worse than the other avatars, which makes it a straight example after all.
- Not Quite Flight: Sky Raker is the Duel Avatar closest to ever fly, until Silver Crow gains actual flying ability.
- The fifth novel reveals the reason for this. Rather than flight Sky Raker's abilities are optimised for space-based combat and manoeuvring. She just never had a chance to realise this until the sky elevator was added to The Accelerated World
- Person of Mass Destruction: Her effectiveness in territorial battles can be equated to that of a weapon of mass destruction.
- Red Baron: Known be the titles ICBM, and Icarus.
- Sixth Ranger: After she rejoins Nega Nebulus.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Kuroyukihime/Black Lotus. But they have made up by the end of Dusk Taker arc.
- Woman in White: Her avatar Sky Raker wears a lot of white clothes.
Voiced by: Kana Ueda (Japanese), Trinity Lee (English)A mysterious Burst Linker that works as bodyguard for players no higher than Level 2.
- Ambiguous Gender: The light novels and manga portray Aqua Current as lacking any distinct gender characteristics, including the sound of her voice as well. The fact that her given name "Akira" can be used for either gender doesn't help matters. The anime depicts her more explicitly as a girl.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saving Silver Crow from Argon Array.
- De-Power: The reason why Aqua Current is level 1.
- Girlish Pigtails: As Aqua Current.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Does this to Haru saying it's too early for them to become friends. It is only possible for Karen to do it because of Incarnate System.
- Making a Splash
- Meaningful Name: Her last name "Himi" is read in Kanji as "looking at ice".
- The Quiet One: She doesn't talk very much.
- Red Baron: "The One" (a reference to her being an eternal Level 1) and "The Bodyguard".
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Has the bobbed hair, the unnatural eye color and the highly stoic and mysterious personality required for the trope. She only lacks the light hair color.
- Sci-Fi Bob Haircut: Fitting the futuristic setting.
- Scissors Cuts Rock: Being made of pure water (which has no charged particles to conduct electricity), Aqua Current is invulnerable to electricity despite Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors stating otherwise.
- The Stoic: She's very straight-face, and doesn't express emotions.
- Stoic Spectacles: In real life she wears glasses, which emphasizes her stoicness.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Has yellow eyes in real life, which makes her look even more mysterious.
Utau Shinomiya/Ardor MaidenA Level 7 Burst Linker, fourth-grade schoolgirl, fire-elemental fighter, and another ex-member of the Elements.
- Awesome, yet Impractical: Her Incarnate skill allows for wide-range spells. The drawback is that it has a long charging time.
- Playing with Fire: Amoungst the Elements she is associated with the element of Fire. Making use of fire in her Incarnate skill as well as a fire attribute bow.
Graphite EdgeA Level 8 Burst Linker with control over earth, as well as the fourth ex-Element.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Amoungst the Elements he is associated with the element of Earth.
- Dual Wielding: His enhanced armament, which are dual swords known as Lux and Umbra.
- Expy: Of Kirito from Sword Art Online. Black Lotus picked up some of her more Kirito-esque traits from him.
- Glass Cannon: He invested all his points on improving his close-range attacks, at the cost of being so fragile that even Squishy Wizards like Ardor Maiden and Purple Thorn can easily damage him with weak physical attacks.
- High Level Is A King Magnet: Is level 8 and could've gotten to level 9 shortly before the 7 kings did, but chose not to to secure more fallback points. After the instant death rule was revealed he lost all interest in leveling up.
Glass MonarchChiaki's older brother. As one of the few who knew of Black Lotus' real-life identity, he admired and used to tell stories about her to his little sister. However, he perished three years ago due to an incurable disease passing the Brain Burst program on to Chiaki.
- Guns Akimbo: Before his death he weilded dual pistols named Helios and Eos.
- The Gunslinger: He resembled a cowboy.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Was this with Blue Knight before his death.
- Nice Guy: All interactions show that he was one, though he may have been related to Acceleration Research Society.
- Ironic Nickname: Promotes peace but shares his name with one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse: specifically, the warmonger.
- Off with His Head!: Courtesy of Black Lotus' Death By Embrace.
- Posthumous Character: Has since been deleted from the Accelerated World
Yuniko "Niko" Kozuki/Scarlet Rain
- Action Girl: She's the second Red King and has one of the most powerful level 9 avatars in Brain Burst. She has many incredibly strong long-range attacks.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: According to the L Ns, her eyes are green, not red.
- Ax-Crazy: Sometimes when she's Trigger Happy
- Badass Adorable: She's an incredibly strong player in Brain Burst, and her cuteness is played as disturbing, by making her Cute and Psycho
- Bathtub Bonding: She tried to do this with Haruyuki, but failed and ended up in an Accidental Pervert moment.
- Contralto of Danger: She puts up an act with a high pitched voice to seem cute so she can get closer to Haruyuki, but when she drops that facade her normal speaking tone is much more deep, gruff, and angry to emphasize her Little Miss Badass and Cute and Psycho character traits
- Curtains Match the Window: She is themed around the color red so her hair and eyes were made a matching red to emphasize this. This is only in the anime however, in the light novel she's described as having green eyes.
- Cute and Psycho: Completely out for blood once she's in a fight, her cuteness as a little girl is used to contrast this to make her disturbing.
- Deliberately Cute Child: She's Genre Savvy enough to play up some cute mannerisms intentionally to (try) and get her way.
- Evil Laugh: Does this while raining down missiles on her opponents.
- Fiery Redhead/ Hot-Blooded: When she drops her cute facade, she's shown to be incredibly hot blooded and aggressive. Her red hair and eyes emphasize this.
- Fille Fatale: She wanted to recruit Haruyuki into Prominence and tried to use her cuteness to do so, she even tried to take a bath with him.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: Oven Ray, one of Scarlet Rain's incarnate attacks.
- Flash Step: One of her incarnate skills.
- Gamer Chick: For Brain Burst, and western Shooters. She admits she can't imagine life without Brain Burst.
- Girlish Pigtails: She wears her hair this way intentionally to use her cuteness to her advantage.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Though not evil, her eyes shift from tareme to tsurime when she drops the Deliberately Cute Child facade.
- Humongous Mecha: Her avatar has access to a huge artillery machine, called "Immobile Fortress" not because it can't move but because it doesn't have to.
- In-Series Nickname: Prefers to be called "Niko".
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She acts like a jerk to Haruyuki to get his attention, but she really needs his help to Save her friend Cherry Rook from being controlled by the Chrome Disaster Armor.
- Little Miss Badass: One of the youngest players in Brain Burst, but completely blood thirsty, and she reached Level 9 at a much faster pace than other players.
- Little Miss Snarker: She often points out when Haruyuki is making dumb mistakes due to his inexperience. This is supposed to be somewhat unexpected from a person her age.
- Long-Range Fighter: Scarlet Rain's Immobile Fortress boasts the best long-range arsenal in the Accelerated World, but it renders her unable to move, leaving her vulnerable to close-range attacks. Good luck getting near her, though.
- Macross Missile Massacre: One of her attacks.
- Parental Abandonment: She lives in a home for orphans
- Precision F-Strike: Bombed in the English Dub DAMN HARD in the 8th Episode.
- Red Baron: In Brain Burst she's called the Immobile Fortress, because she doesn't even have to move to defeat most foes, and she has an enhanced armor that surrounds her that's almost impenetrable.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her eyes are red in the anime adaptation. They're green in the light novel.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Blood Leopard's blue.
- Relatively Flimsy Excuse: Pretends to be Haruyuki's second cousin, Tomoko Saitou, as part of her failed Batman Gambit to recruit Haruyuki into Prominence and blackmail him into submission with Judgment Blow.
- Token Mini-Moe: The youngest character of the series.
- Tsundere: A vicious Type A.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Kuroyukihime.
- Wave Motion Gun: One of her attacks, particularly Heat Blast Saturation.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: She wears short jean shorts.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: The tallest girl in the series (so far), aloof and stoic, and has long, dark hair.
- Cat Girl: Her battle avatar simply looks like an armor-plated version of her net avatar; unlike Chiyu she's a humanoid cat rather than a girl with Unusual Ears.
- Energy Absorption: One of Blood Leopard's abilities is to absorb a Duel Avatar's health and killer move gauges.
- Giant Poofy Sleeves: In her Meido outfit and school uniform.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a headband.
- Insistent Terminology: If you're going to shorten her name, it's Leopard, not Blood, and if you want to go further it's Pard, not Leopa.
- Panthera Awesome: Her battle avatar's special attack.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Niko's red.
- Ironically, she herself is also Red.
- Running on All Fours: Her avatar can change forms into a leopard that runs this way.
- Spy Catsuit: Wears one with her avatar.
- Undying Loyalty: To Niko.
Cherry Rook/5th Chrome Disaster
Voiced by: Mikako Takahashi (Japanese)Yuniko's friend and "parent" who introduced her to the Brain Burst. However, his slow descent into becoming the dreaded "Chrome Disaster" came once it became clear that Yuniko is starting to outdo her master, driving him into despair that soon made him a pliable tool to Yellow Radio's schemes.
- Clingy Costume: The Disaster Armor, given by Yellow Radio.
- Unwitting Pawn: In Yellow Radio's scheme to defeat Scarlet Rain.
Crypto Cosmic Circus
- Combat Pragmatist: His first encounter with Haru and co, involves gaining up on them with his minions and guilt tripping Black Lotus with imagery showing how she killed Red Rider. He also retreats when Cherry Stone shows up and has his forces retreat when confronted with a disadvantage
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Nearly was done in by Cherry Rook, the player he had injected with the shard of the 4th Chrome Disaster. He uses his illusions powers to escape
- Karma Houdini: Despite causing the 5th Chrome Disaster, he has yet to get any comeuppance for this, even denying this happened
- In the Back: One of his illusions get stabbed from behind by Cherry Rook.
- Manipulative Bastard: Yellow Radio manipulated Cherry Rook to become the fifth Chrome Disaster so that he would attack his Legion, so he could attack the Red King for violating the non-aggression treaty.
- Master of Illusion: He has abilities that cause illusions to distract his enemies. This is common for yellow colored avatars.
- Red Baron: Known by the title "Radioactive Disturber".
- Smug Snake: He expected Kuroyuki to stay down after reliving her guilt, and is shocked when she gets up. His overall faked politeness gives off this vibe as well.
Voiced by: Hiroaki Tajiri (Japanese)A member of Crypto Cosmic Circus.
Green GrandeeThe Green King, who has been around since the early days of the game and has seen four Chrome Disasters fall.
- Famed In-Story: As one of the veteran players of the game, he was known for extensive Solo Character Runs, accruing lots of Burst Points in the Unlimited Natural Field, and he can only lose on timed duels.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: He uses his enhanced armament The Strife to protect himself and avoid damage.
- Red Baron: Known by the title "The Invulnerable" for his high defense in brain burst.
- Stone Wall: It's very hard to damage him since he's a pure green avatar, and they have very high defense. The most a lot of players can do is Scratch Damage.
- Ambiguous Situation: Whether or not it's Rin's brother's soul controlling the Ash Roller character or just a copy of it, is unknown.
- Cool Bike: Rides a western motor bike, which his entire fighting strategy relies on. It is called the Night Rocker.
- Crazy-Prepared: Invested in the ability to drive up walls after defeating Silver Crow the first time in case it was necessary. Much to Ash Roller's surprise, it was as necessary as the soon as their rematch.
- Giving Someone the Pointer Finger: Ash Roller's other favorite gesture is Flipping the Bird.
- Gratuitous English: "LUCKY!", "MEGA LUCKY!", "GIGA LUCKY!", etc.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Combined with Spikes of Villainy, skulls, and a Cool Bike... Ash would fit in perfectly on a Heavy Metal album cover.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: When Haru is too depressed to fight after losing his wings, he actually stops the match to try to ecourage him, and later takes him to meet Sky Raker.
- Large Ham: He yells just about everything at the top of his lungs.
- Leitmotif: Monster Machine
- Motorcycle on the Coast Road: With Silver Crow in the second opening.
- Rebel Relaxation: Up a Cool Bike, no less.
- The Rival: To Silver Crow. Even has a thing for him. Kinda. Its complicated.
- Cool Sword: The Impulse
- Famed In-Story: Revered for defeating a Legendary Beast all by himself, whereas entire teams can barely make it past lesser bosses.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With the late Red Rider.
- Pet the Dog: Refuses to use Judgment Blow on Cyan Pile after the latter defects to Nega Nebulus.
- Red Baron: Known by the tiles "The Vanquisher", "The Holy Sword" and "Legend Killer".
- Shoulders of Doom: So huge they can be used as shields. In fact, that's probably what their purpose is.
Cobalt Blade and Manganese Blade
Voiced by: Misato Fukuen (Cobalt Blade) and Kanako Kondo (Manganese Blade) (Japanese), Amanda Celine Miller (Cobalt Blade), Lauren Landa (Manganese Blade) (English)A pair of Level 7 sword fighters and subordinates of Blue Knight.
Voiced by: Kaori Mizuhashi (Japanese), Jessica Straus (English)The Purple King and lover of Red Rider.
- Red Baron: Earned the nickname Empress Voltage.
- Staff of Authority: Her ehnhanced armament The Tempest.
Aster VinePurple Thorn's aide.
- Number Two: To Purple Thorn.
White CosmosThe White King and legion master of Oscillatory Universe.
- Aloof Big Sister: To Kuroyukihime.
- Arch-Nemesis: To Kuroyukihime.
- Big Bad: She is the head of the Acceleration Research Society — the one that included the likes of Seiji Noumi.
- Broken Pedestal: To Kuroyukihime.
- Cain and Abel: Kuroyukihime hates her because she is the one who tricked her into beheading Red Rider.
- Invisible to Normals: One of her special abilities allows her to become invisible to everybody except for other Level 9 players.
- Light Is Not Good: Despite being a white colored avatar, She is not a person you would call good. Given that she is the head of the Acceleration Research Society, and contibuted to the death of Saffron Blossom resurecting her over and over as she was killed and devoured.
- The Medic: One of the three known healer-type avatars in the Accelerated World.
- Red Baron: Known by the title "Transient Eternity" in brain burst.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Kuroyukihime.
Ivory TowerThe White King's representative during the Kings' meetings.
Acceleration Research Society
- Bullet Time: He's the only Duel Avatar who can speed up his own time in the Accelerated World, so he can make himself immune to the Year Inside, Hour Outside effect of the Accelerated World.
- Detachment Combat: Some of his trap skills revolve around using detached body parts to attack.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: Retreats once he realizes that he's fighting a losing battle (and he is on a stalemate with Kuroyukihime), vowing never to directly tangle with the Black King again, while leaving Noumi at Haruyuki's mercy.
- Lack of Empathy: Black Vise clearly shows signs of this as during the execution of Saffron Blossom.
- Noble Demon: In contrast with Noumi. He even shows due respect to Kuroyukihime for her skill as well as being the Black King, as well as Haruyuki for actually managing to elude his death trap.
- Punch Clock Villain: Black Vise is described as sounding like a businessman instead of a fighter.
- Trap Master / The Walls Are Closing In: The usual application of his ability is trap people by pressing black blocks against them.
Seiji Noumi/Dusk Taker
- Bad Powers, Bad People: He doesn't just copy abilities, he steals them. And then blackmails his opponents if they want them back.
- Big Brother Bully: Has one. The main reason he is such an asshole.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Appears as a nice guy to most people. But he's actually a very Smug Snake.
- Combat Tentacles: The stolen power he usually equips to his left arm.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was evidently abused by his brother, until he decided to kill him in the game.
- Dirty Coward: Grovels at Haruyuki, Kuroyukihime, Chiyuri and Takumu's feet begging for what remains of his BP once it became clear that Chiyuri has been working against him all along, Haruyuki has turned the tables on him, and that the rest of ARS left him on his own. Haruyuki would have none of it.
- Evil Counterpart:
- Apart from colour scheme, Dusk Taker and Silver Crow with their special abilities inactive look very similar (the main difference is Taker having bulkier neck/shoulder armor). Taken further when Taker steals Crow's wings. He also cheats his way through his grades through the use of Brain Burst, much like Taku did before his Heel-Face Turn.
- One can argue he's also what Haru could've been like if life were to pushed him too far. Both have a bully background. While Haru is fat and stubby, Nomi is Lean and Mean. Whereas Haru worked his way through Brain Burst with sheer hard work, Nomi uses deceit and manipulation to get his way.
- Faceless Eye: The head of his Duel Avatar looks like this.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: One of the stolen powers he can equip to his right arm; long-ranged and strong enough to melt rock.
- Faux Affably Evil
- Freudian Excuse: He was bullied by his brother, and had everything taken away from him. Considering what a Jerk Ass Smug Snake he is, that's still not enough to move the fanbase.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: After stealing Silver Crow's aviation ability his wings are considerably more demonic looking.
- Heel-Face Turn: After he lost his memories he became nice and cheerful.
- Healing Factor: One of his abilities that he stole.
- Karmic Death: "Dies" in the game in the exact same way he "killed" his older brother: outsmarted by somebody he thought was under his control, overpowered, and left whimpering and begging for his life before finally losing his last Burst Point.
- Keet: After he loses his memories of Brain Burst.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch/The Dog Bites Back: Erases his brother from the Accel World.
- Mind Wipe: Lost all his memories of Burst Link after it was forcibly removed from him after losing to Haruyuki, proving Kuroyukihime's theory that uninstalling the program will also erase its user's memories of playing it.
- Obviously Evil: His duel avatar. Averts this completely in real life.
- Power Parasite: Dusk Taker has the Demonic Commandeer ability which permanently steals abilities, techniques and equipment from other Burst Linkers to use for himself. While there is a limit to how many he can use, he can still use multiple ones at the same time.
- Achilles' Heel: In addition to the aforementioned limit to the number of powers he could use, he cannot steal Incarnate skills (because it comes from the Burst Linker's own will and is not predetermined by the system) and abilities not related to his own traumas. Thus, he can only steal abilities from Duel Avatars whose abilities are not specific to their own traumas.
- The reason why Noumi was not able to steal Lime Bell's healingtime-reversal abilities is that it came from Chiyu's desire to return to the time when she, Taku, and Haru were together.
- While he, Haru, and Taku experienced bullying, Noumi experienced it in the exact same way Haru does (being forced to do everything against their will), but not Taku (harassed and repeatedly subjected to hazing), which is why he was able to steal Silver Crow's wings but not Cyan Pile's pile bunker.
- Achilles' Heel: In addition to the aforementioned limit to the number of powers he could use, he cannot steal Incarnate skills (because it comes from the Burst Linker's own will and is not predetermined by the system) and abilities not related to his own traumas. Thus, he can only steal abilities from Duel Avatars whose abilities are not specific to their own traumas.
- Shapeshifter Mashup: Downplayed. When using multiple stolen powers at once (and their corresponding body parts) his avatar can look quite bizarre, though it remains mostly humanoid.
- Skull for a Head: Underneath the visor, his avatar's head is quite skull-like; it becomes briefly visible when he uses Demonic Commandeer.
- Troubled Abuser: Treats others the way his older brother treated him. It's used to make him seem petty rather than sympathetic.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Implied. After losing his Brain Burst upon losing, rather than being all smug when meeting Haru, he acts nice and cheerful.
- Villainous Breakdown: Once it became clear that all his plans are rapidly falling apart, even more so once he realized that Chiyuri only played him so she can restore Haruyuki's wings, finally descending into a whimpering mess begging Haruyuki to spare his last BP.
Voiced by: Nobuyuki Hiyama (Japanese)A Burst Linker who dives into Okinawa while being in Tokyo using a backdoor program.
- Fluffy Tamer: Loses this ability upon defeat. Kuroyuki eventually takes said ability (legally) as a gift from the Okinawa players.
Nidhogg/NickA Legendary Enemy of the Unlimited Neutral Field, he is controlled by Sulfur Pot.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Is given the name Nick by Sulfur Pot.
- Meaningful Name: In Norse mythology, NÝh÷ggr (Malice Striker, often anglicized Nidhogg) is a dragon who gnaws at a root of the World Tree, Yggdrasil.
- Pet the Dog: When he is freed from his control he did not try to attack Black Lotus, Coral Merrow and Lagoon Dolphin even after attacking Sulfur Pot.
Voiced by: Satoshi Hino (Japanese)A Level 8 trap-oriented Burst Linker.
- Attack Its Weak Point: His Incarnate System causes rapid corrosion of his targets' defenses.
Wolfram CerberusA Level 1 Burst Linker with a triple-personality problem.
- Anti-Villain: The least malevolent of the ARS Linkers, to the point that he actually asked Haruyuki to help him deal with his personality split, and actually defending him from Argon Array.
- Meaningful Name: Of course, he has three split personalities, much like the mythological Cerberus has three heads.
- Game Breaker: In universe example. Wolfram Cerberus has three different abilities, one per personality. The main head has <<Physical Inmune>> which renders him impervious to direct physical attacks of any kind. The second head has <<Wolf Down>> which allows it to temporarily copy someone's ability upon chomping a part of their body. The third head has some kind of ability that has yet to be revealed. Best of all is, he has this at level 1.
- Split Personality: Three, in fact.
Argon ArrayA Level 8 Burst Linker with the special ability to scan her enemies' stats.
- Enemy Scan: Her unique ability.
Other Burst Linkers
Megumi Wakamiya/Orchid Oracle
- Clingy Jealous Girl: In Episode 24, she is visibly annoyed to see Haruyuki approaching Kuroyukihime, who has just stepped off a train (with Megumi still onboard).
- Geo Effects: One of Orchid Oracle's abilities is to forcibly change battle stages.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: After a terrible loss.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The light to Kuroyukihime's dark.
- Magical Girl: Her Duel Avatar looks like one.
- Ojou Ringlets: As Orchid Oracle.
- Pink Means Feminine: As Orchid Oracle.
- Rapunzel Hair: As Orchid Oracle.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Kuroyukihime.
- Skinship Grope: She likes to grope Kuroyukihime.
The AudienceA bunch of nameless Avatars that appear on the sidelines and usually watch Crow fight.
- Author Avatar: Tin Writer (the gray colored, glasses-wearing metal avatar) in Japanese is voiced by the author himself.
- Contest Winner Cameo: All the avatars are from a "Design your own Avatar!" contest hosted a while back.
Voiced by: Harumi Sakurai (Japanese)One of the Burst Linkers Silver Crow battled against with Aqua Current. She uses the electric poles in her palms to control the flow of electric current.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Tiny Girl to Sand Duct's Huge Guy.
Voiced by: Eiji Miyashita (Japanese), Kyle Hebert (English)Nickel Doll's partner. He uses the ducts in his hands to create a sandstorm vacuum.
Voiced by: Tarusuke Shingaki (Japanese), Todd Haberkorn (credited as Todd Stone) (English)A Level 7 Burst Linker and former member of Purple Legion. He moved to Okinawa three years before the start of the series after his parents' divorce. He is also a high school freshman, Lagoon Dolphin's "parent", and "master" of Lagoon Dolphin and Coral Merrow.
- Awesome McCool Name: Before he disappeared from Tokyo, he was famously known as "The Burst Linker with the Strongest Name". Since all Burst Linkers are Japanese citizens of Tokyo, few understood the English word "kingbolt". It's a world where only the strongest Burst Linkers earned the title of King, yet "King" was actually a part of his name, so those who didn't really know about him trembled when they heard he was coming. Even the "bolt" part of his name added to his legend; the Purple King, being a master and lover of lightning, had him recruited to her legion before ever meeting him because she assumed he was named Bolt because of a similar electrical nature. Though his title is meant partially as a joke, it also alludes to the respect afforded him as one of the truly strongest Burst Linkers in the Accelerated World.
- After becoming the parent to two newbie Burst Linkers in Okinawa, he exaggerated his reputation somewhat, leaving off part of his title and claiming that he was known as "The Strongest Burst Linker". Kuroyukihime, who knew the truth, did not tell his students the whole story because of her respect and affection for Crimson Kingbolt.
- Partially because his Duel Avatar's full name was considered simply too awesome, even for him, his friends and allies, like Black Lotus, called him "Crikin" for short.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Coral Merrow and Lagoon Dolphin.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Takes to hitting the virtual bottle because he and his students have no hope of defeating a mysterious Burst Linker who doesn't appear on the matching list in the real world, and who has tamed a legendary monster to rampage around in the Unlimited Neutral Field.
- Expy: Of the Gundam Heavyarms.
- Humongous Mecha/Combining Mecha: If he gathers up a large enough pile of scrap metal, he can use his Mega-Machine Awakening ability to merge with it and transform into an enormous humanoid robot. While it's considerable firepower cannot compare with Scarlet Rain's Immobile Fortress, the Mega-Machine is considerably more agile, capable of leaping shocking distances for something so large. Between this agility and a humanoid form (including actual hands), Crimson Kingbolt's mecha could theoretically engage in close combat with enemies large and small in a way that the Immoble Fortress can't.
- Large Ham: He can be very overdramatic.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Until Scarlet Rain's ascent, he had the strongest long-range firepower in the Accelerated World's history. Despite not even being the original Level 9 Red King of Pure Color.
- Something We Forgot: Black Lotus, Lagoon Dolphin and Coral Merrow completely forget about him sinking in the sea after defeating Sulfur Pot.
Ruka Asato/Lagoon Dolphin
Voiced by: Tamaki Nakanishi (Japanese), Christine Marie Cabanos (English)A Level 5 Burst Linker from Okinawa. She is the "parent" of Coral Merrow and the "child" of Crimson Kingbolt, as well as the latter's real-life cousin.
- Curtains Match the Window: Her hair and eyes are the same color
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Mana's blue.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Mana's girly girl.
Mana Itosu/Coral Merrow
Voiced by: Yuuko Gibu (Japanese), Cristina Valenzuela (English)A Burst Linker from Okinawa and the "child" of Lagoon Dolphin.
- Rapunzel Hair: As Coral Merrow.
Chrome Falcon/1st Chrome DisasterAn Originator in Brain Burst, Chrome Falcon is the first Chrome Disaster, responsible for creating the Disaster Armor after his partner and lover had Brain Burst permanently uninstalled.
- Despair Event Horizon: He became the first Chrome Disaster due to reaching this when his lover, Saffron Blossom, was deleted from the game.
- Fragile Speedster: Chrome Falcon's potential lies entirely in a single ability, whereas otherwise his Duel Avatar is very weak. In this case, said ability is a pseudo-teleport/Flash Step ability.
- Love Makes You Evil: It was his love for Saffron Blossom that motivated him so strongly. When he lost her, the results... were not pretty.
- Posthumous Character: Has long since been deleted from Accel World, but his effects (specifically the Disaster Armor) are still felt years afterwards.
- Shadow Archetype: A Lethal Joke Character Duel Avatar with a metal color and named after a bird, and all of its potential put in a single powerful ability. Driven to protect a girl he loves, yet believes is completely out of his league. Basically abandoned by his parents. Low self-esteem and very timid, but capable of great determination. Chrome Falcon serves as a very disturbing look into what could happen to Haru if he ever lost Kuroyukihime.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: What Chrome Falcon did and became is a lot more disturbing when you find out he was eight years old. Justified with Accel Worlds Year Inside, Hour Outside aspects, but still.
Saffron BlossomAn Originator in Brain Burst, Saffron Blossom was the partner and lover of Chrome Falcon.
- Ill Girl: In real life, she suffered from a degenerative disease.
- Mercy Kill: Request this to Chrome Falcon after being continuously resurected and killed by the Legend Class Enemy J÷rmungand and The Accelerated Resaerch Society and left with only a parse amount of points. He complies.
- Posthumous Character: Has long since been deleted from Accel World.
Enbuken - Analytical Performance Martial Arts Research Club
Chiaki Chigira/Aluminum Valkyrie
The main protagonist of the manga spin-off Dural: Magisa Garden, Chiaki recently returned from America, enrolling into an all-girls school. Her brother used to tell her stories about a "Snow Black Princess" and her adventures in a magical kingdom before he died. Seeing an opportunity, two of her seniors try to install Brain Burst on her, only to be rejected. Turns out her brother already installed it three years ago on his deathbed, and is an unknowing Avatar.
- Animal Motifs: Idolized Kuroyukihime to the point where her own public avatar is designed around a swallowtail butterfly.
- Badass Adorable: She is a very cute young girl and quite badass in real life, thanks in no small part to her years of study in America where she learned parkour and several martial arts.
- Berserk Button: She does not take too foundly to people talking about her height. Even if someone isn't actually talking about her height.
- Blood Knight: She loves a good fight and loves looking for one in the hope of growing stronger so she can be more like Kuroyukihime.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Smashes her teacher's desk with one foot on her first day. And that's just as a greeting.
- Fingerless Gloves: Wears a set of fingerless gloves w
- Hair Antennae: Has two rather butterfly like anttenae.
- The Heroine: Of her own spin-off.
- Hero-Worshipper: Towards Kuroyukihime.
- Hot-Blooded: Very much so. Especially when it comes to combat.
- Knight in Shining Armor: The female Valkyrie type.
- The Napoleon: She does not like her height being brought up.
- Shana Clone: Not surprising, considering the fact that Ayato Sasakura, the artist of Dural, also worked on the manga adaptation of Shakugan no Shana. She's just more of a Genki Girl than most examples.
- To Be a Master: She wants to become the eighth King to impress Black Lotus.
Yuuko Hoori/Orange RaptorHead of Enbuken. In the real world wears a bear head on her swimsuit for some reason.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Her Avatar looks like a dinosaur with a scarf wrapped around its neck for some reason.
- Ms. Fanservice: To begin with, she wears nothing but a two-piece bikini in the middle of school.
Kurumi Kuruma/Violet DancerMember of the Math Research Department staff martial arts division. In the real world has a habit of cross-dressing, garnering herself many fans in their all-girls school. Her avatar looks like an exotic Arabic dancer.
- Bifauxnen: Her overall appearnce in real life complete with short hair and penchant for boyish clothing.
- Boyish Short Hair: Her short her really helps with her Bifauxnen look.
Rirya Usachovua/Iris AliceRussian-Japanese student and newcomer to the Math Research Department staff martial arts division. She had been bullied because of her lack of proficiency with Japanese. Eventually becomes Yuko's "child".Has an Alice in Wonderland motif to her design and attacks.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Before she met Yuko.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: Rirya has a worse nightmare than anyone else in the cast or, for that matter, in the Accel World, as her trauma causes her to materialize a giant monstrous rabbit to destroy her enemies. Nothing less than the Chrome Disaster can possibly match.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Her reaction rate is said to be far higher than Chiaki.