open/close all folders
Haruyuki "Haru" Arita/Silver Crow
- Accidental Pervert: He repeatedly ends up in situations where he accidentally gropes or sees undressed one of the girls. This actually gets Played for Drama when Seiji uses a visual mask to lead him to the girls' shower room while Chiyuri is taking a shower as part of a trap to blackmail Haruyuki.
- Adaptational Ugliness: Downplayed. Haru still wasn't physically attractive in the light novels, but the anime exaggerated Haru's character design to match his self-image, making him much more cartoonish. In the books, he's only a few centimetres shorter than Takumu, who in turn is taller than Chiyu.
- Adorkable: He's insecure, socially awkward and a very cute and endearing little guy.
- Affectionate Nickname: Takumu and Chiyuri call him Haru.
- All of the Other Reindeer: He is viewed as an outsider from his school because of his appearance.
- Animal Motifs:
- A literal flying pig.
- As well as a crow given the name of his avatar is Silver Crow.
- Apologises a Lot: He has the habit to apologize for every single thing, even if it's not his fault.
- Badass Adorable: Insecurities aside, he's also a sweet, caring boy. Just don't dare hurt his friends.
- Bash Brothers: With Takumu.
- Bathtub Bonding: With Kuroyukihime in the second OVA.
- Battle Couple: With Kuroyukihime.
- Beady-Eyed Loser: He's a short, fat boy with very beady eyes and when the series starts he's a loser who gets pushed around by bullies.
- Berserk Button: Never mess with his friends.
- Big Fun: Once he starts to gain more self-confidence, Haruyuki becomes a gentle, friendly and fun fat little guy, but hardly boisterous.
- Book Dumb: Haru's grades aren't especially good, but he's relatively intelligent.
- The Champion: For Kuroyukihime. Haruyuki makes his goal to help her achieve level 10 so he can protect her and repay her for changing his life by giving him the Brain Burst. It's actually part of Haru's Character Development that he's trying to make himself worthy of being her knight.
- Childhood Friends: He has been friends with Takumu and Chiyuri since they were living in an apartment complex as children.
- Classical Anti-Hero: At the beginning of the story, Haruyuki is a pathetic loser with no self-esteem and plagued with self-doubt. He gets much better thanks to Character Development and eventually evolves into a proper hero.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: If you consider Accel World the Spiritual Successor to Sword Art Online, Haruyuki is quite a contrast to Kirito. Kirito was a lean, confident, loner badass whereas Haruyuki is a fat, wimpy kid who tends to rely on his friends. Word of God is that the big difference between them is that Kirito was strong on the outside, but weak on the inside. Haruyuki is weak on the outside, but strong on the inside. In a more meta-sense, Kirito might exemplify the gamer's ideal image whereas Haruyuki more-or-less represents the gamer's reality. Despite this, the two were pretty evenly matched when they fought each other in a non-canon bonus chapter.
- Cyber Cyclops: Silver Crow. Though it's actually a visor covering a proper face.
- Declaration of Protection: He made a vow to support and protect Kuroyukihime as her "pawn" in the Brain Burst game.
- Determinator: You'd think losing a hand & having your body filled full of holes would stop anyone. Not this guy though. According to Chiyu, this has been one of his defining characteristics since early childhood; he just didn't use it for anything besides mastering games until now.
- Discard and Draw: In the Dusk Taker arc, Silver Crow lost his wings to Dusk Taker, caught by his surprise attack. He then is taught how to use a powerful ability called Incarnate System by Kurasaki Fuuko (Sky Raker), and is given her Enhanced Armament, Gale Thruster (basically a jet-pack). He gives Gale Thruster back to her after defeating Dusk Taker, but he keeps the ability he learned.
- Distracted by the Sexy: In the manga chapter, he doesn't quite perform up to his usual level in the first set because he's distracted by the hem of Kuroyukihime's skirt. He doesn't dare admit this, though.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: His primary motivation for Taking a Level in Badass is so his friends Chiyu and Taku don't have to feel sorry for him. Unfortunately, this is also part of the reason why he distanced himself from his friends around the start of middle school.
- Dragged by the Collar: By Blood Leopard from the cafe straight to the Akihabara.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Silver Crow gains the elemental properties of the metal silver, rendering it resistant to piercing, slashing, fire, ice, and poison attacks; but vulnerable to crushing attacks and electricity.
- You might not know this unless you watch reruns in Japan, but Haruyuki and his pig avatar are dead ringers for Nikkumaru Sarutobi and his ninja pig Ninton from Sasuga No Sarutobi (AKA The Academy of Ninjas).
- He also has some similarities with Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion especially with a Superpowered Evil Side.
- Fatal Flaw: His lack of self-esteem causes a variety of problems for him, often holding him back in battle and occasionally causing tension with his friends.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Silver Crow is the Thief to Cyan Pile's Fighter and Lime Bell's Mage.
- Flight: His avatar's special ability in the Accelerated World, and apparently the first one to be able to do so.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Phlegmatic.
- G.I.F.T.: Notable by its absence - he's one of the few people who acts exactly the same in Brain Burst as he does in real life. Word of God says this honesty is the reason for his Chick Magnet status.
- Glass Cannon: After he grows wings.
- Grew a Spine: As part of his Character Development, Haruyuki starts to gain self-confidence and finds the courage to stand up for himself.
- Guilt Complex: He has very little self confidence, and tends to blame himself when bad things happen. His friends have to reassure him that it's not his fault.
- The Hero: Part of his character development is becoming of one these proper; both in helping others like Kuroyukihime and overcoming obstacles in his path.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Even as he's making a name for himself in Brain Burst, Haruyuki thinks nothing great about himself and he'd still shy away from all the praise.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: The main reason why he can't reciprocate Kuroyukihime's feelings is that he can't believe such a beautiful, popular girl like her would actually give him a chance.
- Innocently Insensitive: Since he believes that a girl like Kuroyukihime is out of his league, he tends to unintentionally refuse her affection and make her feel insecure about their relationship.
- Insecure Love Interest: Despite his feelings being blatantly reciprocated, Haruyuki still thinks a girl like Kuroyukihime is out of his league and she deserves someone better than him.
- Invisible Parents: His parents are divorced, and while his mother has sole custody of him, she spends much of her time at work, apart from a few briefly mentioned parts in which she hands him his money in the light novels.
- Jumped at the Call: He considered installing Brain Burst for about three seconds. Kuroyukihime had a speech all ready to convince him but it was unnecessary.
- Lady and Knight: He's striving to be the knight of his legion master Kuroyukihime.
- Leitmotif/Theme Music Power-Up: "Silver Wing" in the anime. While Crow is using Gale Thruster it's replaced by a remix titled "Iron Will".
- Lethal Joke Character: Silver Crow. Above-average speed but terrible stats everywhere else, and its supposed Finishing Moves are just normal punches, kicks and headbutts. Then Haru figures out how to activate Crow's wings, giving him Super Speed Flight that turns even regular punches into killing blows. Then he gains access to a proper Finishing Move from another source, which can be used while flying.
- Loser Protagonist: He starts out as this, being a short overweight boy with zero self-confidence who gets bullied at school and pretty much has no friends. He gets much better through Character Development.
- Lovable Nerd: He's short, fat, socially awkward, and gets beaten up by bullies regularly. Once he gains some self-esteem, however, he quickly reveals himself as a Determinator.
- Mistaken for Gay: He and Takumu share a rather Ho Yay moment in Episode 21 and the girls around them seem to be misinterpreting the situation.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After bluntly saying that he believes that Kuroyukihime is only hanging out with him because she hates herself, angering her to the point where she calls him an "idiot" rather than a "fool," slaps him and breaks down in tears, he realizes how uncharacteristic of her this is.
- Naïve Newcomer: He does some dumb things due to his inexperience. He once leveled up his character without earning more points first, which since it made him lose a lot of his points it put him in danger of losing Brain Burst for good if he lost them all.
- Nice Guy: He's kind, selfless and supportive of his friends.
- Non-Standard Character Design: He looks very different compared to the other character designs, having a very short, doughy, and round character design.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Downplayed. When Scarlet Rain attempts to infiltrate Nega Nebulus by pretending to be his second cousin and acting deceptively cute, it doesn't take him too long to check if she is really his second cousin.
- Oblivious to Love: He takes it to a new level by finding signs that Kuroyukihime does like him and refusing point blank to even consider it. This is justified because of his low self esteem.
- Ordinary Middle School Student: He's just a normal and unlucky middle school student until Kuroyukihime introduces him to the Accelerated World.
- Parental Issues: Implied in the OVAs, and hinted at more strongly in the eighth volume: Haru believes his parents divorced because of him.
- Parental Neglect: It's indicated that his mother doesn't care much about him, and his father cares even less. That said, she does pay his allowance, not bother him about his grades and allows his friends to stay over, so Haru doesn't complain lest he risk the status quo.
- Power Loss Makes You Strong: He has his Flight ability stolen by Dusk Taker. Before he regained them, it allowed him to notice that the value of his Duel Avatar lies not in said ability, but in himself, gaining confidence (the lack of which was the main cause for him not being able to use Silver Crow to his full potential) in the process.
- Precision F-Strike: Courtesy of the English DubHaruyuki:Shut up Noumi, I'm sick of you, get the fuck out of my life!
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Kuroyukihime and Takumu's blue.
- Sempai Kouhai: He constantly refers to Kuroyukihime this way, and abused by Noumi through Terms of Endangerment.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Sensitive Guy to Takumu's Manly Man.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: In the latter part of Dusk Taker arc, Noumi's brutal beatdown on Cyan Pile makes Haru so supremely pissed that it temporarily awakens the piece of Chrome Disaster hiding on Silver Crow's back. The result is a crimson Battle Aura, similarly-colored incarnation attacks and a major case of flipping the hell out. As lucky as Noumi is, however, the duel timed out before anyone could gain the upper hand.
- This later becomes a standard part of his arsenal.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Tiny Guy to Kuroyukihime's Huge Girl. He barely reaches to her waist.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: While they aren't married, he has this with Kuroyukihime. Haruyuki is a fat midget and just not attractive in the conventional sense, while Kuroyukihime is a beautiful Aloof Dark-Haired Girl who somehow loves him regardless of his looks. Haruyuki himself has a very hard time believing his luck.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: Kirito versus Haruyuki in the bonus chapter. Who won? Neither, of course. Did you actually expect anything less?
- What the Hell, Hero?: He does this to Green Grande and Iron Pound in Volume 9, angrily asking them why, if they consider themselves enemies of the Acceleration Research Society, they did nothing while people using the Society's ISS kits were beating up and repeatedly killing two members of their legion nearby.
- Winged Humanoid: His avatar Silver Crow can grow wings making him this.
- Wing Pull: Silver Crow's special attack.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are:
- Haruyuki has zero self-confidence and he thinks he can't be anything but a pitiful loser. That's until Kuroyukihime tells him of the great potential she sees in him and how she believes he will become the greatest Burst Linker of all. Haruyuki then decides that even if he still can't believe in himself, he can believe in Kuroyukihime's faith in him.
- Chiyu also tells Haru this when he meets with her at her apartment, telling him of all the nice things he did for her and he doesn't have to feel so bad about himself.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her net avatar's dress takes this to its logical extreme. Her bodice is entirely backless and sideless, with two narrow straps of black fabric rising from the waistline to cover her non-existent boobs.
- Action Girlfriend: Kuroyukihime is the powerful Black King who suddenly changes Haruyuki's life by introducing him to the Accelerated World, becoming both his mentor and love interest.
- A-Cup Angst: Downplayed. She's usually not bothered by the size of her chest, but she gets annoyed when Niko tries to make fun of her lack of curves and when seeing Megumi's large breasts.
- Affectionate Nickname: Fuuko and later Utai, addresses her as Sa-chan ("Sacchi" in the localization of the light novel).
- All Amazons Want Hercules: An unusual example. She became enamored with Haruyuki after seeing his speed and drive in his squash games, and the only reason she had a higher score, for the purpose of getting his attention, is she had to cheat to even surpass him. The way it's presented, this in turn makes Haruyuki an unusual kind of "Hercules", but replace physical prowess with video game skill, though within a virtual game world, it still translates to physical prowess in a sense.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She's a tall girl with long black hair who possess a graceful and calm demeanor.
- Ambition Is Evil: Treated as the highest criminal in Brain Burst for trying to reach Level 10 and disrupting the Balance of Power. Subverted by the show itself, which treats her overt desire to achieve level 10 and potentially end the game as good, while treating the other kings' underhanded backstabbing and maintainance of the status quo as evil.
- Also subverted in the books with the non-Guild Burst Linkers (and secretly a few Guild members too), who see her ambition as the natural state of mind for a true gamer and fighter; when Kuroyukihime appears at the Hermes Cord Race (book 5) many of the spectators cheer for her return.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Towards Haruyuki in Episode 4.
- Animal Motifs: Always associated with butterflies.
- Armor-Piercing Question: A surprisingly heartwarming one in Volume 2. After pointing out that his fear of failure is holding him back, and at the root of it is the fear of being abandoned, asks him if he really thinks their bond is that shallow.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Slaps Haruyuki and cries after he accuses her of using him as a pawn to degrade herself.
- Attractiveness Isolation: Kuroyukihime fears she's so attractive that she's intimidating Haruyuki and that's why he's so reluctant to get close to her.
- Badass Adorable: Very beautiful, School Idol to boot and is the Black King, who made her descent in the virtual world through piles of her defeated enemies.
- Bathtub Bonding: With Haruyuki in the second OVA.
- Battle Couple: With Haruyuki.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Although she is generally polite and well meaning, she won't hesitate to kick ass if Haruyuki and co are in danger.
- The Big Girl: Besides playing The Leader, Kuroyukihime is also by far the most powerful and toughest member of Nega Nebulus.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: The Black Lotus's arms have absurdly sharp blades that are able to cut and damage anything.
- Breaking the Fellowship: The Elements of Nega Nebulus broke up after the failed attempt to invade the Imperial Palace, since three out of four were trapped at various spots in the Unlimited Neural Field.
- Butterfly of Doom: Anti-Hero example.
- Cain and Abel: She considers her sister White Cosmos her worst enemy because she tricked her into beheading Red Rider.
- Child Hater: She says she dislikes children, especially those like Niko.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She easily gets jealous whenever another girl gets close to Haruyuki.
- Cool Big Sis: Despite her claims of hating kids, she acts very mentor-ish around Coral Merrow and Lagoon Dolphin, and even seems to enjoy their company. Meanwhile, her interactions with Niko are part this and Vitriolic Best Buds.
- Cry Cute: After she and Fuuko/Sky Raker finally mend their broken friendship.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She says her "parent" betrayed her and is now her worst enemy. It's later revealed that her "parent" is her sister who tricked her into killing Red Rider.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She has a black motif and is seen as highest criminal in Brain Burst. In actuality, she's an Anti-Hero, but not a bad person.
- Deadly Hug: Her attack Death By Embrace, a hug that decapitates her enemy.
- Declaration of Protection: She swears to Haruyuki that she will protect him right before saving him from being hit by a car.
- Deus Exit Machina: She is in a school trip during the Dusk Taker arc, which results on Haru and Taku having to deal with Noumi alone.
- Don't Call Me "Sir":
- She doesn't like how Haruyuki keeps calling her "Sempai", even after she revealed her true name to him.
- She also would like Takumu to stop calling her "Master" because she likes to be in more friendly terms with her legion members.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Megumi appears to.
- Expy: Her black colour scheme, two-blade fighting style, high level and generally calm demeanor call back to Kirito of Sword Art Online. She even has attacks called Vorpal Strike, Starburst Stream and The Eclipse, with much the same effects as the Sword Skills of the same name.
- The Fashionista: Not only is her net avatar's dress very fancy, but in the real world, she does wear casual clothes, kimonos or gloves.
- Fire-Forged Friends: She and Chiyu initially don't get along because they're jealous of each other, but by the end of the Dusk Taker arc, during which Chiyu contacts Kuroyukihime to inform her about Haru's stolen wings, enabling her to come to the rescue, they warm up to each other, and Kuroyukihime starts calling Chiyu by her first name.
- Flat "What.": When she realizes that Haruyuki actually went with her suggestion to direct link with Chiyuri (which is equivalent to a very close date) to investigate Cyan Pile, her expression goes to a fault.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine.
- Freakiness Shame: She thinks her Duel Avatar is ugly because her limbs are blades instead. Haruyuki finds it beautiful, though.
- Give Geeks a Chance: She's a very beautiful girl who is so popular that she could have every guy at her school, but she only has eyes for the little chubby guy that everyone considers a loser.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: She says she realized her feelings for Haruyuki when he mentioned that he has cabled with Chiyu with a short cable and Kuroyukihime found herself feeling jealous for the first time in her life.
- Hair Antennae: They fit with her butterfly motif since they resemble butterfly antennae.
- Hair Decorations: Her net avatar wears a headband.
- Hellish Horse: She pulls a Big Damn Heroes while riding one of these.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: She faints after being forced to remember how she killed Red Rider.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Used Physical Full Burst to save Haruyuki from being hit by a car, consuming 99% of her Burst Points and causing her a few days' retirement at the hospital.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline: In her net avatar.
- Just the Way You Are: She loves Haruyuki just the way he is. For instance, she likes the pig avatar he uses and finds it cute.
- Lady and Knight: Kuroyukihime is the beautiful lady and Haruyuki is the brave warrior trying to make himself worthy of being her knight and protect her.
- Lady of War: Her Duel Avatar glides around just above the ground, giving her movements a smooth, graceful quality, and she carries herself in a calm and elegant manner.
- The Leader: Of her legion Nega Nebulus. She gives them missions to protect territories, and guides them on getting stronger.
- Leitmotif/Theme Music Power-Up: "Alert Sign" in the anime. During her battle with Yellow Radio it's replaced by the "raio0" remix.
- Leotard of Power: Her avatar in the OVA.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The dark to Chiyuri, Megumi and Fuuko's light.
- Lightning Bruiser: Black Lotus is insanely fast, deals borderline One Hit Kills against weaker Duel Avatars, and is immune to grapples and restraining attacks.
- Loophole Abuse: Because the Umesato dress code requires an "uncolored" uniform shirt and black isn't a color, she's able to get away with wearing a black shirt. It's unclear how she does the same by wearing a dark blazer instead of a blue one with her winter uniform, though.
- Meaningful Name: Her nickname, Kuroyukihime, translates to Princess Snow Black. You can already guess what she ended up being...
- Mentor Archetype: To Haruyuki.
- A Mother to Her Men: She cares a lot about the members of her legion and treats them like her dear friends instead of mere subordinates.
- Ms. Fanservice: Her net avatar wears a revealing dress that shows off her cleavage, her back and part of her butt. The anime opening sequences also like to show her nude.
- Nice Girl: Kuroyukihime is very polite, calm, patient and well-meaning. You better don't make her angry, though.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: While her ploy to trick Araya into hitting Haru and send him flying into her in front of a school security camera does result in him finally getting in trouble, it also leads to Araya stealing a car and trying to use it to ram into the two of them.
- Non-Uniform Uniform: For apparently no reason at all, she wears a darker version of the school uniform. It does fit her nicely though.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: To readers/viewers, as there are a few characters who know her name. Although she states that her real name isn't that different from her nickname. Taken to insane levels when she presents her name tag (which supposedly can't be hacked) and it shows her nickname instead of her name. Fuuko addresses her as Sa-chan in the final episode. It still doesn't tell us anything about her real name but is a start.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: When Haru makes the assumption that she's only around someone like him as a means of self-punishment, she gets upset to the point at which she slaps him, angrily calling him an idiot (as opposed to the smug way she calls him a "fool" when he does something stupid), and ends up crying uncontrollably. Seeing her as the 14-year-old girl she really is, Haru realizes how deeply he upset her.
- Parasol of Prettiness: In her net avatar goes around with an elegant parasol.
- Parental Neglect: Her parents don't even bother to show up at the hospital after she is hit by a car.
- Peerless Love Interest: Haruyuki pretty much fell in love with Kuroyukihime because she was way out of his league both in social status and looks. This makes Haruyuki determined to fight to prove his worthiness of her and protect her. However, this gets deconstructed as Kuroyukihime is not comfortable with Haruyuki idolizing her and would like him to treat her like an individual equal to him so they could enjoy a more normal relationship. Haruyuki constantly insisting on mantaining his distance from Kuroyukihime and admiring her from afar only ends up hurting her feelings, but Haruyuki still isn't confident enough to get closer to Kuroyukihime and accept that she loves him just the way he is.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Her net avatar has this.
- Power Gives You Wings: In the OVA, when she merges with Haruyuki.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: She wears black tights while in her school uniform.
- Property of Love: She claims Haruyuki belongs to her and she won't give him away to anyone.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is past her back.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: She has very dark hair and pale skin and is seen as beautiful.
- Red Baron: Known by the title "World End"
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue (with Takumu) to Haruyuki's red.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Megumi.
- School Idol: She's the most popular girl in her grade, is considered the most beautiful girl in school and is part of the student council.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: She wears her modified school uniform most of the time, and Fuko notes that her closet is full of uniforms.
- Sempai/Kohai: She is the sempai to Haruyuki and co.
- Sexy Backless Outfit: Her net avatar wears an entirely backless dress.
- Sexy Mentor: She's very beautiful and acts as The Tease towards her protege and Love Interest Haruyuki.
- She Is the King: She holds the title of the Black King.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: When Yellow Radio tries to guilt trip her over her killing Red Rider, Kuroyukihime tells him that she won't feel at all guilty about killing Yellow Radio.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With White Cosmos.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She only has eyes for Haruyuki.
- Snub by Omission: In the first OVA, while she's upset about Haruyuki acting like her subordinate while offering to help her alongside his other friends, says, "Then I'll see you after school, Takumu-kun, Chiyuri-kun," deliberately leaving Haru out.
- Sword Cane: The parasol of her net avatar is revealed to be a scabbard for a sword in the OVA.
- The Tease: She enjoys to flirt with Haruyuki and see him get embarrassed as a result.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Huge Girl to Haruyuki's Tiny Guy.
- Tsundere: Type B. Kuroyukihime is usually very calm, affectionate to Haruyuki and true with her feelings, but is prone to become very annoyed when she sees Haruyuki with other girls or when he does something that upsets her. Perhaps exemplified at the end of the Dusk Taker arc, in which she says that 49 percent of her wants to congratulate Haruyuki for a job well done, 50 percent of her wants to punch him, and the remaining one percent wants to hug him while apologizing for not being there for him.
- Tsurime Eyes: She displays these eyes and she has a confident and aloof personality.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Her relationship with Haruyuki, although they aren't married. Kuroyukihime, a very beautiful Aloof Dark-Haired Girl, somehow only has eyes for the fat midget Haruyuki and loves him regardless of his looks.
- Unwitting Pawn: It's later revealed that the reason she killed Red Rider was because her sister tricked her into thinking that he had nefarious motives for establishing the non-aggression pact. Once Kuroyukihime finds out the truth, she is furious.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Yuniko. They display animosity toward each other, because Yuniko has a hard time admitting she enjoys their company around her.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In Volume 9, she gives Haru one, not for giving in to Chrome Disaster, but for even considering disappearing and leaving his friends behind, when he'd never abandoned any of them.
- Winged Humanoid: Her net avatar has large butterfly wings.
- Wings Do Nothing: The wings in her net avatar are mere decoration.
- Withholding Their Name: "Kuroyukihime" is Only Known By Her Nickname (Princess Snow Black). She claims that it's not that far from her real name, but refuses to say what it is, even going so far as to hack her student ID to read Kuroyukihime (something that other characters had previously thought to be unhackable).
- Zettai Ryouiki: Her avatar in the OVA.
Chiyuri "Chiyu" Kurashima/Lime Bell
- Absolute Cleavage: Her avatar in the OVA.
- Affectionate Nickname: Haruyuki and Takumu call her Chiyu.
- Amicable Exes: With Takumu. Even though they have broken up, they remain good friends and hold no ill feelings toward each other.
- Animal Motifs: Wears a cat-face hair ornament, and her in-school avatar is basically her in a cat suit.
- Arm Cannon: As Lime Bell and weaponizes Cyan Pile in the OVA.
- Badass Adorable: As Lime Bell who is cute and a competent fighter.
- Badass Cape: As Lime Bell.
- Cat Girl: Her net avatar has cat ears, tail and mannerisms.
- Cat Smile: Does this on occasion with her net avatar.
- The Chick: She cares a lot about her friends, tries to get everyone in the team to get along and has healing powers.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Subverted. She's introduced as the girlfriend of her childhood friend Takumu, but she seems to be dating him just to maintain his friendship. They break up after the first arc, but remain friends.
- Childhood Friends: With Haruyuki and Takumu, who she has known for most of her life.
- Cute Bruiser: Her avatar Lime Bell can whop other players pretty hard with her bell.
- Cute Little Fangs: She has little fangs to go with her Cat Girl theme.
- Fake Defector: Joins up with Dusk Taker, an Avatar who can steal others' abilities, just so she could find a chance to restore Haruyuki's wings after they were stolen. Once she has sufficiently leveled up, discovered the true nature of her powers, and secretly tipped Kuroyukihime of the showdown with Noumi, she drops the act and restores Haruyuki's wings.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Lime Bell is the Mage to Cyan Pile's Fighter and Silver Crow's Thief.
- Fire-Forged Friends: She and Kuroyukihime warm up to each other around the time Chiyu contacts Kuroyukihime to inform her about Haru's stolen wings, enabling her to come to the rescue.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric.
- Genki Girl: She's a very cheerful and energetic, at least when her friends are happy, but even then she still tries to be to cheer them up.
- Girl Next Door: She's Haru's upbeat childhood friend who lives in the same apartment building as him. Despite Haru trying to keep his distance from her due to getting bullied, Chiyu did her best to remain friends with him and never stopped trying to help him.
- Good Parents: Her parents care for her a great deal, and it's revealed that her father put the Neurolinker on her since her birth so that he, who had lost his voice as a result of hypopharyngeal cancer, could communicate with his daughter.
- Growing Up Sucks: She laments that her friends are drifting apart, and wants to ensure that they stay the way they are forever. Haru sadly tells her that they can't be kids forever.
- Hair Decorations: Has her little cat pin on one side and hair clips on the other.
- The Heart: She always tries her best in order to maintain her friends together.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Tiny Girl to Cyan Pile's Huge Guy in the Accelerated World.
- Japanese Sibling Terminology: As a result of a joke about her and Fuko's last names being very similar to the point at which she could be siblings, she started calling her "Fuko-nee-san" or "Raker-nee-san."
- Leotard of Power: Her avatar in the OVA.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The light to Kuroyukihime's dark.
- Little Bit Beastly: Her net avatar looks like her with cat ears and a tail.
- Magical Girl: What her Duel Avatar Lime Bell looks like.
- Meaningful Name: May or may not be intended, but her nickname "Chiyu" written in kanji means "healing" or "cure".
- The Medic: The third Avatar with healing abilities. Actually what she does is turn back a target Avatar's personal time to before they were injured.
- Naïve Newcomer: She thinks of the Accelerated World as a simple game at first, and wants to join so she can do it with Haru and Taku.
- Nice Girl: A kind girl who cares a great deal for her friends.
- Nice Hat: In her Duel Avatar.
- Official Couple: With Takumu until the end of the first arc. The novels have Takumu saying, at the start of the second arc, that they've broken up. The anime omits this line, but keeps Haruyuki asking Takumu during third arc whether he wants to be Chiyu's boyfriend again. As a result, when and why they broke up isn't as clear in the anime.
- Red Baron: Known by the title Time Witch.
- Red Herring: In the first arc, Chiyuri is suspected of being Cyan Pile, the Burst Linker who was targeting Kuroyukihime to get her points. Chiyuri turns out to be innocent and Cyan Pile is Takumu, who installed a virus in her neurolink.
- The Resenter: She admits to be jealous and resentful of how Kuroyukihime got close to Haruyuki and solved his problems so quickly, since Chiyuri had been trying for a long time to help Haruyuki with his problems but never accomplished it. However, Chiyu recognizes Kuroyukihime is the one who can truly help Haruyuki and gives them her blessing.
- Shipper on Deck: She was initially distrustful of Kuroyukihime because she feared she was trying to use Haruyuki for her own gain and wanted her to stay away from Haru. After she understands Kuroyukihime is the only one who can help Haru with his problems, Chiyu decides to support their relationship and encourages Haru to become her boyfriend, if only so that their relationship is on equal terms.
- Stone Wall: Unlike most Duel Avatars, Lime Bell can smash through walls without taking Scratch Damage, which is quite a feat, considering most early healers are Squishy Wizards.note Thus, she can charge up her killer move gauge without even fighting. The effectiveness of her time reversal abilities plus her incredible defense (though not yet on Green Grandee's level) makes her the ideal healer. But that still remains to be seen until White Cosmos appears.
- Sweater Girl: She wears a white sweater with a pink skirt when Haru visits her at her apartment in Volume 1, which Haru notes is more girly than usual for her.
- Throw the Book at Them: She does this in behalf of Takumu's suggestion to show her how the Burst Link works.
- Time Master: She's able to turn back a target Avatar's personal time.
- We Used to Be Friends: All she really wanted was to stay friends with Haruyuki and Takumu, and is extremely depressed about seeing the three of them drifting apart. They eventually get better.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Along with her school uniform in the manga. Also, her avatar in the OVA.
Takumu "Taku" Mayuzumi/Cyan Pile
- Academic Athlete: He's the top student of his class and the kendo team champion. However, he owes his success to using the Brain Burst to cheat.
- Adaptational Heroism: A minor case, but in the anime, after Haru defeats him, and calls him out on asking Haru to let him win so that he won't be kicked off Brain Burst, while he was planning on doing the same thing to Kuroyukihime, Taku admits Haru has a point.
- Affectionate Nickname: Haruyuki and Chiyuri call him Taku.
- Amicable Exes: With Chiyuri. They break up after the first arc, but there are no hurt feelings between them and manage to remain good friends.
- Arc Villain: For the first few episodes, he's the one who's trying to cash in on the bounty for Kuroyukihime.
- The Atoner: After being defeated by Silver Crow, he shows evident aspects of this, trying to make up for his past behavior.
- Bash Brothers: Post-Heel–Face Turn, with Haruyuki.
- Broken Ace: He is friendly, smart, athletic... pretty much everything Haru wishes he was. But as it turns out, he was bullied by his seniors in his earlier days. This ultimately drove him to do anything to one day get back at them and use Brain Burst to cheat his way through the exams and the kendo tournaments. It gets even worse when he gets an ISS kit.
- Butt-Monkey: In the Accel Assault OVA. The main story has a milder variation, in that Cyan Pile tends to die or get his limbs cut off to show how strong his opponent is.
- Chest Blaster: Cyan Pile's Splash Stinger shoots needles from panels in his chest.
- Childhood Friend Romance: He has a crush on Chiyuri and they're dating until the end of the first arc.
- Childhood Friends: With Haruyuki and Chiyuri.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Pre-Heel–Face Turn. There's something of a variation on his trope, since he claims that getting together with Chiyu is in her best interests, so that she doesn't spend the rest of her life taking care of Haru.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After Haru defeats him in their duel, Haru convinces him to join Nega Nebulus so he can start over and rebuild his friendships with both him and Chiyuri from the ground up.
- Driven to Suicide: He mentions that he was seriously considering killing himself while he was being bullied.
- Easily Forgiven: Believes this trope has been put on him. He betrayed his friends, laid a brutal No-Holds-Barred Beatdown on Haruyuki, and used a cheating method to stalk Kuroyukihime for her points. Despite this, both Haru and Kuroyukihime forgive him almost instantly after he apologizes (although Haruyuki doubts whether sparing him is the right decision), and Chiyuri only insists on a ridiculous amount of ice cream to forgive him. It actually seems to boggle him at first, and arguably is part of what makes him so selflessly defend these people who accepted him at his worst.
- Embarrassing Nickname: He hates the nickname "Professor."
- Fairytale Motifs: His standard avatar bears more than a slight resemblance to the Tin Woodsman.
- Fatal Flaw: His insecurity and occasional self-destructive tendencies when trying to make up for something often cause him to make bad decisions, such as planning on giving up all his points to Haru and getting an ISS kit.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Cyan Pile is the Fighter to Lime Bell's Mage and Silver Crow's Thief.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Inverted. Prior to his Heel–Face Turn, Takumu uses the enhanced abilities granted by Brain Burst to correct his vision. Post-Heel–Face Turn, he begins wearing his glasses again, showing that he's no longer relying on artificial means to improve himself.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Melancholic.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Initially, he resents and is jealous of Haruyuki for getting Chiyuri's attention by making her constantly worry about him, and even goes so far as to put a backdoor program on Chiyuri's Neurolinker to keep tabs on her. He gets better.
- Heel–Face Turn: When he leaves his legion to join Kuroyukihime's.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Huge Guy to Lime Bell's Tiny Girl in the Accelerated World.
- Hypocrite: On the verge of defeat against Haru, he begs Haru not to kill him, saying that if he loses against a Level 1 at Level 4, he'll lose all his points... which is what he was planning on doing to Kuroyukihime.
- I Let You Win: In the extra chapter of the manga, Chiyuri, with Kuroyukihime as her partner, has to win a doubles match of tennis against Taku and Haru for Taku to install Brain Burst on her. After the girls win the first set, Kuroyukihime notices that the guys are holding back, and, suspecting that this trope is the reason Taku isn't playing at his best, calls him out on it, saying that Chiyu wants to face him at his best.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: He believed he had to be the best at everything so he wouldn't get bullied and Chiyuri would stay interested in him. This lead to him using Brain Burst to get good grades and become the kendo team star. He later starts to grow out of it as part of his Character Development.
- Innocent Innuendo: A minor Running Gag, particularly in the anime. He refers to Kuroyukihime as "Master", and some of his conversations with Haru have been sufficiently vague that eavesdroppers mistook one for a love confession. Then there's the Accel Assault OVA where he gasps as Chiyu shoves her fist inside him. His avatar even attacks by impaling enemies on an extending spike.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: He notes that he and Chiyuri probably can't go back to being boyfriend and girlfriend, but he'll do his best to make her happy.
- Jack-of-All-Trades/Master of None: Spent some of his level-up bonuses on, among other things, gaining new attack forms; while this makes Pile more flexible, he's not as powerful as avatars who focus entirely on one ability like his teammates.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Haru realizes that as cruel as Taku's claims about Haru being dependent on Chiyu are, he can't completely deny them.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: While using an ISS kit, he hands down a brutal Curb-Stomp Battle to four members of the notorious PK group "Supernova Remnant" that results in them permanently being erased from Brain Burst.
- Kirk Summation: Gives one to Noumi in response to Noumi's Hannibal Lecture. Taku suggests that Noumi's avatar's ability to steal powers repesents the void in his heart. Taku isn't completely wrong, given that the powers are based on one's traumas, but Noumi then takes the opportunity to describe how he got it.
- The Lancer: Post-Heel–Face Turn he helps Haruyuki level up thanks to his greater experience and skills. Also a literal lancer since his weapon is a pile driver, which acts much like a spear.
- Lightning Bruiser: Cyan Pile can actually keep up with Silver Crow despite its large frame. Turned Up to Eleven once he acquires Cyan Blade.
- Meaningful Name: The "pile" refers to the piledriver that serves as his avatar's weapon.
- Mistaken for Gay: He and Haruyuki share a rather Ho Yay moment in Episode 21 and the girls around them seem to be misinterpreting the situation.
- Multi-Melee Master
- Cool Sword: Cyan Blade, thanks to his Incarnate System training with Scarlet Rain.
- Pile Bunker: His main weapon. Much to Haruyuki's surprise during his battle against Cyan Pile, his pile bunker can be used (albeit less efficiently) in mid/long-range combat, being particularly useful in tight spaces such as corridors.
- Mutual Envy: It turns out that while he outwardly seems to be everything Haru isn't- popular, good at school and athletic- he's actually jealous of Haru's inner strength.
- Nice Guy: Turns into this thanks to Character Development.
- Not So Different: With Noumi and Haru.
- In the Dusk Taker arc, he soon realizes that Noumi is relying on Brain Burst for an advantage in school and kendo, noticing Noumi's suspiciously perfect scores on one of his tests. It's also revealed that he, like Haruyuki, was bullied a great deal.
- Later on, it becomes clear that he and Haru are somewhat similar, having been victims of bullying in the past, and also prone to self-loathing.
- Official Couple: With Chiyuri until the end of the first arc. The novels have Takumu saying, at the start of the second arc, that they've broken up. The anime omits this line, but keeps Haruyuki asking Takumu during third arc whether he wants to be Chiyu's boyfriend again. As a result, when and why they broke up isn't as clear in the anime.
- One Head Taller: Than Chiyuri.
- The Professor: Niko's nickname for him. Eventually sticks and is occasionally used by everybody else around him too. He doesn't like it, though.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue (shared with Kuroyukihime) to Haruyuki's red.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Manly Man to Haruyuki's Sensitive Guy.
- The Smart Guy: He knows a lot about Brain Burst.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: He's pretty knowledgable, and deliberately wears glasses to looks this way. Yukino nicknamed him "The Professor" because of this.
- Stalker with a Crush: He installed a virus in Chiyuri's neurolink so he can spy on her at any time. After his Heel–Face Turn, he realizes how wrong this was and uninstalls the virus.
- Suicide by Cop: Thankfully, only in the game, but after realizing how much the ISS kit has corrupted him, Taku asks Haru to destroy him, and plans on going on a suicidal attack against the Acceleration Research Society after their duel concludes
- Talking Weapon: In the OVA, he turns into an Arm Cannon for Chiyuri.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Though at the cost of exposing his issues, Takumu learns the error of his ways and becomes a much better person and a good true friend to Haru and Chiyu.
- Trauma Button: People using piercing attacks in kendo brings the traumatic memories of his being bullied back. According to him, it's bad enough that when he gets into high school and piercing attacks are allowed in kendo matches, he'll no longer be able to compete.
- Walking Spoiler: It's hard to talk about him without spoiling the fact that he, not Chiyu, is Cyan Pile (the main twist of the first volume), the less pleasant aspects of his personality that his friends don't know about, or that he eventually becomes a better person
- The Worf Effect: Having the biggest and strongest-looking avatar on your team is tough. It eventually takes its toll on him, and he begins questioning his own worth.
Fuuko Kurasaki/Sky Raker
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the light novel, Fuuko is illustrated with brown eyes while the anime illustrates her with blue eyes.
- An Arm and a Leg: Got her avatar legs cut off by a reluctant Black Lotus, in hopes it will allow her Enhanced Armament to make real flight possible.
- Ambiguously Bi: She has a great deal of Les Yay with Kuroyukihime, but also gives Haru a peck in the Accelerated World after she regains her legs and experiences flight with his help.
- Artificial Limbs: In real life, she has artificial legs. It is also what caused her Duel Avatar to manifest its jetpack: Gale Thruster.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Haruyuki's surprised to hear that someone as apparently kind as she is threw a PKer into a Legend-class enemy's territory.
- Blow You Away: Amoungst the Elements, she is associated with the element of Wind.
- Friendly Rival: With Blood Leopard.
- The Gadfly: Haru notes that she's one of the few people who can put Kuroyukihime on the defensive.
- Handicapped Badass: Is a competent fighter in Brain Burst despite losing the use of her avatar's legs.
- Hime Cut: Her duel avatar has a hair style like this with its straight bangs and long length in the back. Interestingly enough, while she is Japanese, her avatar is styled more like an English lady.
- Jet Pack: Her Enhanced Armament, Gale Thruster.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: She throws someone to be repeatedly killed by a Legend-class enemy, which would be highly questionable... if the victim wasn't a PK who repeatedly kills players to eliminate them, sometimes even targeting them in the real world (and other Burst Linkers are similarly ruthless toward this sort of player).
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The light to Kuroyukihime's dark.
- Nice Girl: Very kind and polite to everyone, even her opponents.
- Nice Hat: Her avatar Sky Raker wears a sun hat.
- Not Disabled In VR: Played with. She is legless in real life, but able to live normally with prosthetics. Her avatar on the other hand looks a lot like a person in a wheelchair and has lost its legs ever since Kuroyukihime severed them on Raker's request. However, her abilities are not any worse than the other avatars, which makes it a straight example after all.
- Not Quite Flight: Sky Raker is the Duel Avatar closest to ever fly, until Silver Crow gains actual flying ability. The fifth novel reveals the reason for this. Rather than flight Sky Raker's abilities are optimised for space-based combat and manoeuvring. She just never had a chance to realise this until the sky elevator was added to The Accelerated World
- Person of Mass Destruction: Her effectiveness in territorial battles can be equated to that of a weapon of mass destruction.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair goes past her waist.
- Red Baron: Known with the epithet of ICBM, and Icarus.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: She teaches Haruyuki by throwing him off from the top of the Old Tokyo Tower and letting him figure out how to use the Incarnate System to climb his way up.
- Sixth Ranger: After she rejoins Nega Nebulus.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Kuroyukihime/Black Lotus, since they both regret Black Lotus cutting off Sky Raker's limbs to enable her to fly. They start speaking again at the end of Volume 4, but don't fully reconcile until Volume 5.
- Woman in White: Her avatar Sky Raker wears a lot of white clothes.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She always wears thigh-high stockings to hide her prosthetics.
Utau Shinomiya/Ardor Maiden
Voiced by: Yumi Hara (Japanese)A Level 7 Burst Linker, fourth-grade schoolgirl, fire-elemental fighter, and another ex-member of the Elements. Near the end of volume 6 she rejoins Nega Nebulas.
- Affectionate Nickname: She's known as "Uiui" by Kuroyukihime.
- Awesome, yet Impractical: Her Incarnate skill allows for wide-range spells. The drawback is that it has a long charging time.
- Cute Mute: She's a very cute little girl and she can only communicate through her Neurolinker due to a trauma that made her lose her ability to speak.
- Dumb Struck: She lost her ability to talk due to the trauma of witnessing her brother's death.
- Hime Cut: Ardor Maiden has this hairstyle to go with her Miko theme.
- Miko: Her Duel Avatar greatly resembles a shrine maiden.
- Not Disabled In VR: She can speak in Brain Burst.
- Playing with Fire: Amoungst the Elements, she is associated with the element of Fire. Making use of fire in her Incarnate skill as well as a fire attribute bow.
- The Speechless: As a result of a traumatic incident involving her brother's death, she can only speak the "Burst Link" command, and uses her Neurolinker to communicate.
- Tragic Dream: It's indicated that she wanted to be a Noh performer when she was young, but couldn't because she was a girl, and was not allowed to perform after a certain age, an experience that gave form to her duel avatar.
- Wham Line: She mentions a Burst Linker that took out Supernova Remnant, then identifies him as Cyan Pile.
Voiced by: Kana Ueda (Japanese), Trinity Lee (English)A mysterious Burst Linker that works as bodyguard for players no higher than Level 2.
- Ambiguous Gender: The light novels and manga portray Aqua Current as lacking any distinct gender characteristics, including the sound of her voice as well. The fact that her given name "Akira" can be used for either gender doesn't help matters. The anime depicts her more explicitly as a girl.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saving Silver Crow from Argon Array.
- De-Power: The reason why Aqua Current is level 1.
- Girlish Pigtails: As Aqua Current.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Does this to Haru saying it's too early for them to become friends. It is only possible for Karen to do it because of Incarnate System.
- Making a Splash: Amoungst the Elements, she is associated with the element of Water.
- Meaningful Name: Her last name "Himi" is read in Kanji as "looking at ice".
- Put on a Bus: Despite being featured in the opening of the anime she appears in one episode and vanishes after wiping Haru's memories of their meeting. Only reappears briefly in the cafe in the last episode after all is said and done.
- The Quiet One: She doesn't talk very much.
- Red Baron: "The One" (a reference to her being an eternal Level 1) and "The Bodyguard".
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Has the bobbed hair, the unnatural eye color and the highly stoic and mysterious personality required for the trope. She only lacks the light hair color.
- Sci-Fi Bob Haircut: Fitting the futuristic setting.
- Scissors Cuts Rock: Being made of pure water (which has no charged particles to conduct electricity), Aqua Current is invulnerable to electricity despite Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors stating otherwise.
- The Stoic: She's very straight-face, and doesn't express emotions.
- Stoic Spectacles: In real life she wears glasses, which emphasizes her stoicness.
- Suggestive Collision: How she and Haru meet face to face when he crashes into her and accidentally grabs her breasts.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Has yellow eyes in real life, which makes her look even more mysterious.
Graphite EdgeA Level 8 Burst Linker with control over earth, as well as the fourth ex-Element.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Amoungst the Elements, he is associated with the element of Earth.
- Dual Wielding: His enhanced armament, which are dual swords known as Lux and Umbra.
- Expy: Of Kirito from Sword Art Online. Black Lotus picked up some of her more Kirito-esque traits from him.
- Glass Cannon: He invested all his points on improving his close-range attacks, at the cost of being so fragile that even Squishy Wizards like Ardor Maiden and Purple Thorn can easily damage him with weak physical attacks.
- Magic Is a Monster Magnet: Is Level 8 and could've gotten to Level 9 shortly before the 7 kings did, but chose not to to secure more fallback points. After the instant death rule was revealed he lost all interest in leveling up.
Glass MonarchChiaki's older brother. As one of the few who knew of Black Lotus' real-life identity, he admired and used to tell stories about her to his little sister. However, he perished three years ago due to an incurable disease passing the Brain Burst program on to Chiaki.
- Guns Akimbo: Before his death he weilded dual pistols named Helios and Eos.
- The Gunslinger: He resembled a cowboy.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Was this with Blue Knight before his death.
- Named Weapons: His dual Pistols: Helios and Eos.
- Nice Hat: His avatar features a nice cowboy hat atop his head.
- Nice Guy: All interactions show that he was one, though he may have been related to Acceleration Research Society.
- Ironic Nickname: Promotes peace but shares his name with one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse: specifically, the warmonger.
- Off with His Head!: Courtesy of Black Lotus' Death By Embrace.
- Posthumous Character: Has since been deleted from the Accelerated World
Yuniko "Niko" Kozuki/Scarlet Rain
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her eyes are red in the anime adaptation. They're green in the light novel.
- Ax-Crazy: Sometimes when she's Trigger Happy.
- Badass Adorable: She's an incredibly strong player in Brain Burst, and her cuteness is played as disturbing, by making her Cute and Psycho.
- Bathtub Bonding: She tried to do this with Haruyuki, but failed and ended up in an Accidental Pervert moment.
- Contralto of Danger: She puts up an act with a high pitched voice to seem cute so she can get closer to Haruyuki, but when she drops that facade her normal speaking tone is much more deep, gruff, and angry to emphasize her Little Miss Badass and Cute and Psycho character traits.
- Curtains Match the Window: She is themed around the color red so her hair and eyes were made a matching red to emphasize this. This is only in the anime however, in the light novel she's described as having green eyes.
- Cute and Psycho: Completely out for blood once she's in a fight, her cuteness as a little girl is used to contrast this to make her disturbing.
- Deliberately Cute Child: She's cunning enough to play up some cute mannerisms intentionally to (try) and get her way.
- Easily Forgiven: Averted when she fires on Black Lotus, nearly killing her, during the battle with Chrome Disaster. While Black Lotus recognizes it as a poorly thought out Shoo the Dog moment, she still insists on an apology, and gets annoyed when Scarlet Rain gives a fairly perfunctory one.
- Evil Laugh: Does this while raining down missiles on her opponents.
- Fiery Redhead: When she drops her cute facade, she's shown to be incredibly Hot-Blooded and aggressive. Her red hair emphasize this.
- Fille Fatale: She wanted to recruit Haruyuki into Prominence and tried to use her cuteness to do so, she even tried to take a bath with him.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: Oven Ray, one of Scarlet Rain's incarnate attacks.
- Flash Step: One of her incarnate skills.
- Gamer Chick: For Brain Burst, and western Shooters. She admits she can't imagine life without Brain Burst.
- Girlish Pigtails: She wears her hair this way intentionally to use her cuteness to her advantage.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Though not evil, her eyes shift from tareme to tsurime when she drops the Deliberately Cute Child facade.
- Humongous Mecha: Her avatar has access to a huge artillery machine, called "Immobile Fortress" not because it can't move but because it doesn't have to.
- In-Series Nickname: Prefers to be called "Niko".
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's rude, violent and bloodthirsty, but deep down she's a nicer person than even she would like to admit. She clearly cares about those who are close to her such as her "parent" Cherry Rook and she eventually is able to become friends with Haruyuki and the rest of Nega Nebulus and becomes a very helpful ally.
- Little Miss Badass: One of the youngest players in Brain Burst, but completely blood thirsty, and she reached Level 9 at a much faster pace than other players. She has many incredibly strong long-range attacks.
- Little Miss Snarker: She often points out when Haruyuki is making dumb mistakes due to his inexperience. This is supposed to be somewhat unexpected from a person her age.
- Long-Range Fighter: Scarlet Rain's Immobile Fortress boasts the best long-range arsenal in the Accelerated World, but it renders her unable to move, leaving her vulnerable to close-range attacks. Good luck getting near her, though.
- Macross Missile Massacre: One of her attacks.
- Parental Abandonment: She lives in a home for orphans along with Cherry Rook.
- Precision F-Strike: Bombed in the English Dub DAMN HARD in the 8th Episode, calling Haruyuki a "FUCKING PERVERT" before attacking him.
- Red Baron: In Brain Burst she's called the Immobile Fortress, because she doesn't even have to move to defeat most foes, and she has an enhanced armor that surrounds her that's almost impenetrable.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The animegives her red eyes to emphasize her violent and vicious nature.
- Red Is Violent: She wears red, has red hair and eyes, and is pretty vicious.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Hot-Blooded Red to Blood Leopard's cool Blue.
- Relatively Flimsy Excuse: Pretends to be Haruyuki's second cousin, Tomoko Saitou, as part of her failed Batman Gambit to recruit Haruyuki into Prominence and blackmail him into submission with Judgment Blow.
- She Is the King: She's just a little girl and has already earned the title of the Red King.
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: She has the looks of an adorable little girl, but beneath her cute facade there's a dominating and aggressive borderline psycho.
- Token Mini-Moe: The youngest character of the series.
- Tsundere: A vicious Type A. She acts like a borderline psychotic tyrant, but she can show a friendly side when she's in a good mood and is willing to help you if you ask nicely enough.
- Unprovoked Pervert Payback: Her dueling Haruyuki essentially amounts to this. Haruyuki points out that she was the one who caused the situation by trying to get in his tub, forcing him to catch her when she fell in, but she's not in any mood to listen.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Kuroyukihime. Despite the two having clashing personalities and being heads of rival Legions, they get along quite well when they're not bickering, as Haru notes when he sees them sleeping together.
- Wave Motion Gun: One of her attacks, particularly Heat Blast Saturation.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: She wears short jean shorts.
- Youthful Freckles: Her face has quite a few.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wears black thigh-high stockings in her casual attire.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: The tallest girl in the series (so far), aloof and stoic, and has long, dark hair.
- Cat Girl: Her battle avatar simply looks like an armor-plated version of her net avatar; unlike Chiyu she's a humanoid cat rather than a girl with Unusual Ears.
- Energy Absorption: One of Blood Leopard's abilities is to absorb a Duel Avatar's health and killer move gauges.
- Friendly Rivalry: With Sky Raker. Volume 5 shows that she hopes Sky Raker will eventually return to the Accelerated World.
- Giant Poofy Sleeves: In her Meido outfit and school uniform.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a headband.
- Insistent Terminology: If you're going to shorten her name, it's Leopard, not Blood, and if you want to go further it's Pard, not Leopa.
- Meido: Dresses and works as one at the Strawberry Palace cafe.
- Panthera Awesome: Her battle avatar's special attack.
- The Quiet One: Rarely speaks a lot, and when she does it's usually very short.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The cool Blue to Niko's Hot-Blooded Red. Ironically, she herself is also Red.
- Running on All Fours: Her avatar can change forms into a leopard that runs this way.
- Sailor Fuku: She wears one when she approaches Haru in Volume 7. By comparison, most of the other girls have blazer-style uniforms.
- Spy Catsuit: Wears one with her avatar.
- The Stoic: She rarely shows any emotion and always maintains the same expression on her face.
- Terse Talker: She speaks short, brief sentences and occasionally uses slang.
- Undying Loyalty: To Niko. She identifies Niko as one of two people who are very important to her, the other being Sky Raker.
Cherry Rook/5th Chrome Disaster
Voiced by: Mikako Takahashi (Japanese)Yuniko's friend and "parent" who introduced her to the Brain Burst. However, his slow descent into becoming the dreaded "Chrome Disaster" came once it became clear that Yuniko is starting to outdo her master, driving him into despair.
- Clingy Costume: The Disaster Armor, given by Yellow Radio.
- Obsolete Mentor: Was the one to introduce Niko to Brain Burst, but rapidly saw her outshine and overtake him.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Is only every known in story as Cherry Rook, his real name is never known or spoken.
- Parental Abandonment: Like Yuniko, he doesn't have parents. The fact that he gets adopted by relatives and ends up having to leave the facility only exacerbates his issues about Scarlet Rain surpassing him.
- Put on a Bus: He gets adopted by relatives and taken far away from Niko, although they promise to keep in touch.
- Unwitting Pawn: In Yellow Radio's scheme to defeat Scarlet Rain.
Crypto Cosmic Circus
- Combat Pragmatist: His first encounter with Haru and co, involves gaining up on them with his minions and guilt tripping Black Lotus with imagery showing how she killed Red Rider. He also retreats when Cherry Stone shows up and has his forces retreat when confronted with a disadvantage
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Nearly was done in by Cherry Rook, the player he had injected with the shard of the 4th Chrome Disaster. He uses his illusions powers to escape
- Karma Houdini: Despite causing the 5th Chrome Disaster, he has yet to get any comeuppance for this, even denying this happened.
- In the Back: One of his illusions get stabbed from behind by Cherry Rook.
- Manipulative Bastard: Yellow Radio manipulated Cherry Rook to become the fifth Chrome Disaster so that he would attack his Legion, so he could attack the Red King for violating the non-aggression treaty.
- Master of Illusion: He has abilities that cause illusions to distract his enemies. This is common for yellow colored avatars.
- Monster Clown: The design and appearance of his avatar.
- Red Baron: Known by the title "Radioactive Disturber".
- Smug Snake: He expected Kuroyuki to stay down after reliving her guilt, and is shocked when she gets up. His overall faked politeness gives off this vibe as well.
Voiced by: Hiroaki Tajiri (Japanese)A member of Crypto Cosmic Circus.
Voiced by: Takaya Kuroda (Japanese)
The Green King, who has been around since the early days of the game and has seen four Chrome Disasters fall.
- Famed In-Story: As one of the veteran players of the game, he was known for extensive Solo Character Runs, accruing lots of Burst Points in the Unlimited Natural Field, and he can only lose on timed duels.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: He uses his enhanced armament The Strife to protect himself and avoid damage.
- Named Weapons: His shield: The Strife.
- Red Baron: Known by the title "The Invulnerable" for his high defense in brain burst.
- Stone Wall: It's very hard to damage him since he's a pure green avatar, and they have very high defense. The most a lot of players can do is Scratch Damage.
- The Quiet One: Rarely speaks and often described as a silent person.
- Wham Line: His answer for his reason behind hunting enemies, buying point cards and feeding them to enemies, enabling players to earn points without having to duel.Grande: It was all to stop Brain Burst 2039- also known as Trial Number Two- from ending in vain.
- Ambiguous Situation: Whether or not it's Rin's brother's soul controlling the Ash Roller character or just a copy of it, is unknown.
- Badass Biker: Rides a western motor bike, which his entire fighting strategy relies on. It is called the Night Rocker.
- Crazy-Prepared: Invested in the ability to drive up walls after defeating Silver Crow the first time in case it was necessary. Much to Ash Roller's surprise, it was as necessary as the soon as their rematch.
- Friendly Enemy: Despite being a member of a rival Legion, he's on fairly good terms with Haru and Sky Raker.
- Giving Someone the Pointer Finger: Ash Roller's other favorite gesture is Flipping the Bird.
- Gratuitous English: "LUCKY!", "MEGA LUCKY!", "GIGA LUCKY!", etc.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Combined with Spikes of Villainy, skulls, and a Cool Bike... Ash would fit in perfectly on a Heavy Metal album cover.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: It's true he's a tough, crude biker who loves to fight and swear, but he's also a noble and even friendly individual to those he respects. He's even willing to stop a match to encourage and help out his troubled rival or call out his duel partner for his dishonorable tactics and dickish behavior.
- Large Ham: He yells just about everything at the top of his lungs.
- Leitmotif: Monster Machine
- Motorcycle on the Coast Road: With Silver Crow in the second opening.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: When Haru calls him by Rin's first name, Ash Roller gets furious at the possibility of Haru being in a relationship with Rin.
- Pet the Dog: When Haru is too depressed to fight after losing his wings, he actually stops the match to try to encourage him, and later takes him to meet Sky Raker.
- Rebel Relaxation: Up a Cool Bike, no less.
- The Rival: To Silver Crow.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Sometimes Played for Laughs with a Sound-Effect Bleep.
- Skull for a Head: His avatar has a skull for a face. This seems to be possibly inspired by Ghost Rider
- Wall Crawl: The bike can run up walls.
Rin KusakabeA Burst Linker and the child of Fuuko Kurasaki. When Rin downloaded Brain Burst, it was on her brother's Neuro Linker instead of her own. She is a special case; although she is technically the owner of Ash Roller, the one operating it is her brother who is in a coma.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She appears near the end of the anime's first season, and in the second OVA, where she's quite nervous around Haruyukinote , and seems acquainted with Rin.
- Samus Is a Girl: Played with. Rin is technically the real identity of Ash Roller, but her Duel Avatar is controlled by the soul or copy of her brother's mind, who is in a coma.
- Shrinking Violet: She's a shy girl with self-esteem problems.
- Verbal Tic: She often. Speaks. In short. Sentences.
- Walking Spoiler: She's very difficult to talk about without spoiling Ash Roller's true nature.
- Wham Line: "I'm. Ash. Roller."
- Cool Sword: The Impulse
- Famed In-Story: Revered for defeating a Legendary Beast all by himself, whereas entire teams can barely make it past lesser bosses.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With the late Red Rider.
- Named Weapons: His sword: The Impulse.
- Pet the Dog: Refuses to use Judgment Blow on Cyan Pile after the latter defects to Nega Nebulus.
- Red Baron: Known by the tiles "Vanquish", "The Holy Sword" and "Legend Slayer".
- Shoulders of Doom: So huge they can be used as shields. In fact, that's probably what their purpose is.
Cobalt Blade and Manganese Blade
Voiced by: Misato Fukuen (Cobalt Blade) and Kanako Kondo (Manganese Blade) (Japanese), Amanda Celine Miller (Cobalt Blade), Lauren Landa (Manganese Blade) (English)A pair of Level 7 sword fighters and subordinates of Blue Knight.
Voiced by: Kaori Mizuhashi (Japanese), Jessica Straus (English)The Purple King and lover of Red Rider. Leader of the Purple Legion.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: By all accounts, she is very much this. Never once likeing the way Red Rider and Black Lotus spoke and interacted.
- Named Weapons: Her staff: The Tempest.
- Red Baron: Earned the nickname Empress Voltage.
- She Is the King: The third female King of the Accelerated World.
- Shock and Awe: Her abilities appear to based around electricity and seems to have an obsession in recruiting other electric users into her legion.
- Staff of Authority: Her enhanced armament, The Tempest.
Aster VinePurple Thorn's aide.
- Number Two: To Purple Thorn.
White CosmosThe White King and legion master of Oscillatory Universe.
- Aloof Big Sister: To Kuroyukihime.
- Arch-Nemesis: To Kuroyukihime.
- Big Bad: She is the head of the Acceleration Research Society — the one that included the likes of Seiji Noumi.
- Broken Pedestal: To Kuroyukihime. It's indicated that she once held her in high regard, and they had a close relationship that facilitated White Cosmos becoming Kuroyukihime's parent, but after being manipulated and betrayed, Kuroyukihime is incredibly bitter.
- Cain and Abel: She's Kuroyukihime's older sister and her worst enemy who tricked her into beheading Red Rider.
- Invisible to Normals: One of her special abilities allows her to become invisible to everybody except for other Level 9 players.
- Light Is Not Good: Despite being a white colored avatar, she is not a person you would call good. Given that she is the head of the Acceleration Research Society, and contibuted to the death of Saffron Blossom resurecting her over and over as she was killed and devoured.
- The Medic: One of the three known healer-type avatars in the Accelerated World.
- Red Baron: Known by the title "Transient Eternity" in brain burst.
- She Is the King: One of the female Kings of the Accelerated World.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Kuroyukihime.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Upon realizing that her sister manipulated her, Kuroyukihime attacked White Cosmos in real life with a box cutter, injuring her. White Cosmos then decided to make the injury look worse than it actually was, resulting in Kuroyukihime getting thrown out of the house.
Ivory TowerThe White King's representative during the Kings' meetings.
Acceleration Research Society
- Affably Evil: He's very polite at all times, even when talking with his foes.
- Bullet Time: He's the only Duel Avatar who can speed up his own time in the Accelerated World, so he can make himself immune to the Year Inside, Hour Outside effect of the Accelerated World.
- Detachment Combat: Some of his trap skills revolve around using detached body parts to attack.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: Retreats once he realizes that he's fighting a losing battle (and he is on a stalemate with Kuroyukihime), vowing never to directly tangle with the Black King again, while leaving Noumi at Haruyuki's mercy.
- Lack of Empathy: Black Vise clearly shows signs of this as during the execution of Saffron Blossom.
- Noble Demon: In contrast with Noumi. He even shows due respect to Kuroyukihime for her skill as well as being the Black King, as well as Haruyuki for actually managing to elude his death trap.
- One Steve Limit: An odd case in that he's supposedly the second black duel avatar. It's unclear whether "Black Vise" is his official name.
- Punch Clock Villain: Black Vise is described as sounding like a businessman instead of a fighter.
- Vocal Dissonance: In-Universe, Chrome Falcon suspects that he sounds a good deal older than those who have been wearing Neurolinkers since they were born.
- The Walls Are Closing In: The usual application of his ability is trap people by pressing black blocks against them.
Seiji Noumi/Dusk Taker
- Achilles' Heel: In addition to the limit to the number of powers he could use, he cannot steal Incarnate skills (because it comes from the Burst Linker's own will and is not predetermined by the system) and abilities not related to his own traumas. Thus, he can only steal abilities from Duel Avatars whose abilities are not specific to their own traumas.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: He doesn't just copy abilities, he steals them. And then blackmails his opponents if they want them back.
- Big Brother Bully: Has one. The main reason he is such an asshole.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Appears as a nice guy to most people. But he's actually a very Smug Snake.
- Combat Tentacles: The stolen power he usually equips to his left arm.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was evidently abused by his brother, until he decided to kill him in the game.
- Dirty Coward: Grovels at Haruyuki, Kuroyukihime, Chiyuri and Takumu's feet begging for what remains of his BP once it became clear that Chiyuri has been working against him all along, Haruyuki has turned the tables on him, and that the rest of ARS left him on his own. Haruyuki would have none of it.
- The Dog Bites Back: After becoming strong enough and gaining the opportunity, Noumi kills his abusive brother repeatedly, and takes great pleasure in it.
- Evil Counterpart:
- Apart from colour scheme, Dusk Taker and Silver Crow with their special abilities inactive look very similar (the main difference is Taker having bulkier neck/shoulder armor). Taken further when Taker steals Crow's wings. He also cheats his way through his grades through the use of Brain Burst, much like Taku did before his Heel–Face Turn. Taku even figues out the exact moment Noumi accelerates to cheat on a test in order to challenge him to a duel.
- One can argue he's also what Haru could've been like if life were to pushed him too far. Both have suffered from bullying in the past. While Haru is fat and stubby, Nomi is Lean and Mean. Whereas Haru worked his way through Brain Burst with sheer hard work, Nomi uses deceit and manipulation to get his way.
- Faceless Eye: The head of his Duel Avatar looks like this.
- Faux Affably Evil: He exhibits a superficial level of politeness to his enemies, addressing them as his senpais, but when the conversation turns to Brain Burst, he shows his mocking and condescending side.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: One of the stolen powers he can equip to his right arm; long-ranged and strong enough to melt rock.
- Freudian Excuse: He was bullied by his brother, and had everything taken away from him.
- Game Breaker: Considers himself one of these In-Universe after Dust Taker starts combining Silver Crow's flight with powerful ranged weapons.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: After stealing Silver Crow's aviation ability his wings are considerably more demonic looking.
- Hate Sink: By all indications, he's a low-level member of the Acceleration Research Society, but he's one of the most unpleasant and despicable characters in the series. Considering what a Jerk Ass Smug Snake he is, even his Freudian Excuse is still not enough to move the fanbase, and considering that he gloats about it, it doesn't inspire much in Haruyuki, either.
- Heel–Face Turn: After he lost his memories he became nice and cheerful.
- Healing Factor: One of his abilities that he stole.
- Karmic Death: "Dies" in the game in the exact same way he "killed" his older brother: outsmarted by somebody he thought was under his control, overpowered, and left whimpering and begging for his life before finally losing his last Burst Point.
- Keet: After he loses his memories of Brain Burst.
- Mind Wipe: Lost all his memories of Burst Link after it was forcibly removed from him after losing to Haruyuki, proving Kuroyukihime's theory that uninstalling the program will also erase its user's memories of playing it.
- Obviously Evil: His duel avatar. Averts this completely in real life.
- Power Parasite: Dusk Taker has the Demonic Commandeer ability which permanently steals abilities, techniques and equipment from other Burst Linkers to use for himself. While there is a limit to how many he can use, he can still use multiple ones at the same time.
- Shapeshifter Mashup: Downplayed. When using multiple stolen powers at once (and their corresponding body parts) his avatar can look quite bizarre, though it remains mostly humanoid.
- Skull for a Head: Underneath the visor, his avatar's head is quite skull-like; it becomes briefly visible when he uses Demonic Commandeer.
- Smug Snake: Very smug and always looking down on people treating them like insects. As a result, he doesn't even consider the possibility of Haru turning the tables on him or Chiyu betraying him.
- Took a Level in Kindness: After losing his Brain Burst upon losing, rather than being all smug when meeting Haru, he acts nice and cheerful. This is the result of losing all his memories involving the Brain Burst.
- Troubled Abuser: Treats others the way his older brother treated him. It's used to make him seem petty rather than sympathetic.
- Villainous Breakdown: Once it became clear that all his plans are rapidly falling apart, even more so once he realized that Chiyuri only played him so she can restore Haruyuki's wings, finally descending into a whimpering mess begging Haruyuki to spare his last BP.
- Fluffy Tamer: Loses this ability upon defeat. Kuroyuki eventually takes said ability (legally) as a gift from the Okinawa players.
- Playing with Fire: In a rather different way, the primary ability that he is seen using is Charcoal Smoke which releases gun powder into the air that can be ignited and catch fire. Which he used in combination with Nick.
- Smug Snake: Overconfident to a fault, with absolute certainty in his belief that he and Nick are the ultimate partners.
Nidhogg/NickA Legendary Enemy of the Unlimited Neutral Field, he is controlled by Sulfur Pot.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Is given the name Nick by Sulfur Pot.
- Meaningful Name: In Norse mythology, Níðhöggr (Malice Striker, often anglicized Nidhogg) is a dragon who gnaws at a root of the World Tree, Yggdrasil.
- Pet the Dog: When he is freed from his control he did not try to attack Black Lotus, Coral Merrow and Lagoon Dolphin even after attacking Sulfur Pot.
- Arc Villain: After making a brief appearance in the Dusk Taker arc, he becomes the primary threat to the heroes in The Bridge Floating in Starlight arc.
- Attack Its Weak Point: His Incarnate System causes rapid corrosion of his targets' defenses.
- Deadly Disc: His Wheel Saw ability sends a deadly rapidly rotating saw blade flying at his foe.
- Trap Master: His razor tripwires are designed to trap close range opponents, so he can dispatch them.
- Verbal Tic: When he begins a sentence with a verb, he will often say it as its own sentence first (e.g. "Regret. Regret that you...")
Wolfram CerberusA Level 1 Burst Linker with a triple-personality problem.
- Anti-Villain: The least malevolent of the ARS Linkers, to the point that he actually asked Haruyuki to help him deal with his personality split, and actually defending him from Argon Array.
- Meaningful Name: Of course, he has three split personalities, much like the mythological Cerberus has three heads.
- Game Breaker: In universe example. Wolfram Cerberus has three different abilities, one per personality. The main head has <<Physical Inmune>> which renders him impervious to direct physical attacks of any kind. The second head has <<Wolf Down>> which allows it to temporarily copy someone's ability upon chomping a part of their body. The third head has some kind of ability that has yet to be revealed. Best of all is, he has this at level 1.
- Split Personality: Three, in fact.
Argon ArrayA Level 8 Burst Linker with the special ability to scan her enemies' stats.
- Enemy Scan: Her unique ability.
Other Burst Linkers
Megumi Wakamiya/Orchid Oracle
- Clingy Jealous Girl: In Episode 24, she is visibly annoyed to see Haruyuki approaching Kuroyukihime, who has just stepped off a train (with Megumi still onboard).
- Geo Effects: One of Orchid Oracle's abilities is to forcibly change battle stages.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: After a terrible loss.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The light to Kuroyukihime's dark.
- Magical Girl: Her Duel Avatar looks like one.
- Ojou Ringlets: As Orchid Oracle.
- Pink Means Feminine: As Orchid Oracle.
- Rapunzel Hair: As Orchid Oracle.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Kuroyukihime.
- Skinship Grope: She likes to grope Kuroyukihime.
The AudienceA bunch of nameless Avatars that appear on the sidelines and usually watch Crow fight.
- Author Avatar: Tin Writer (the gray colored, glasses-wearing metal avatar) in Japanese is voiced by the author himself.
- Contest Winner Cameo: All the avatars are from a "Design your own Avatar!" contest hosted a while back.
Voiced by: Harumi Sakurai (Japanese)One of the Burst Linkers Silver Crow battled against with Aqua Current. She uses the electric poles in her palms to control the flow of electric current.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Tiny Girl to Sand Duct's Huge Guy.
Voiced by: Eiji Miyashita (Japanese), Kyle Hebert (English)Nickel Doll's partner. He uses the ducts in his hands to create a sandstorm vacuum.
Voiced by: Tarusuke Shingaki (Japanese), Todd Haberkorn (credited as Todd Stone) (English)A Level 7 Burst Linker and former member of Purple Legion. He moved to Okinawa three years before the start of the series after his parents' divorce. He is also a high school freshman, Lagoon Dolphin's "parent", and "master" of Lagoon Dolphin and Coral Merrow.
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Before he disappeared from Tokyo, he was famously known as "The Burst Linker with the Strongest Name". Since all Burst Linkers are Japanese citizens of Tokyo, few understood the English word "kingbolt". It's a world where only the strongest Burst Linkers earned the title of King, yet "King" was actually a part of his name, so those who didn't really know about him trembled when they heard he was coming. Even the "bolt" part of his name added to his legend; the Purple King, being a master and lover of lightning, had him recruited to her legion before ever meeting him because she assumed he was named Bolt because of a similar electrical nature. Though his title is meant partially as a joke, it also alludes to the respect afforded him as one of the truly strongest Burst Linkers in the Accelerated World.
- After becoming the parent to two newbie Burst Linkers in Okinawa, he exaggerated his reputation somewhat, leaving off part of his title and claiming that he was known as "The Strongest Burst Linker". Kuroyukihime, who knew the truth, did not tell his students the whole story because of her respect and affection for Crimson Kingbolt.
- Partially because his Duel Avatar's full name was considered simply too awesome, even for him, his friends and allies, like Black Lotus, called him "Crikin" for short.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Coral Merrow and Lagoon Dolphin.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Takes to hitting the virtual bottle because he and his students have no hope of defeating a mysterious Burst Linker who doesn't appear on the matching list in the real world, and who has tamed a legendary monster to rampage around in the Unlimited Neutral Field.
- Expy: Of the Gundam Heavyarms.
- Humongous Mecha/Combining Mecha: If he gathers up a large enough pile of scrap metal, he can use his Mega-Machine Awakening ability to merge with it and transform into an enormous humanoid robot. While it's considerable firepower cannot compare with Scarlet Rain's Immobile Fortress, the Mega-Machine is considerably more agile, capable of leaping shocking distances for something so large. Between this agility and a humanoid form (including actual hands), Crimson Kingbolt's mecha could theoretically engage in close combat with enemies large and small in a way that the Immoble Fortress can't.
- Large Ham: He can be very overdramatic.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Until Scarlet Rain's ascent, he had the strongest long-range firepower in the Accelerated World's history. Despite not even being the original Level 9 Red King of Pure Color.
- Something We Forgot: Black Lotus, Lagoon Dolphin and Coral Merrow completely forget about him sinking in the sea after defeating Sulfur Pot.
Ruka Asato/Lagoon Dolphin
Voiced by: Tamaki Nakanishi (Japanese), Christine Marie Cabanos (English)A Level 5 Burst Linker from Okinawa. She is the "parent" of Coral Merrow and the "child" of Crimson Kingbolt, as well as the latter's real-life cousin.
- Boyish Short Hair: She has short hair to go along her tomboyish and brash personality.
- Curtains Match the Window: Her hair and eyes are the same color.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: She has red hair and tanned skin and she's a pretty impulsive and energetic girl.
- Fiery Redhead: She has red hair and has the brash personality to go along with it.
- Naïve Newcomer: Like her friend Mana, she gives out her name to Kuroyukihime when meeting her in real life. In their case, their naivete is largely the result of few other Burst Linkers coming to Okinawa.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The impulsive and rash Red Oni to Mana's calm and polite Blue Oni.
- Spirited Competitor: She challenges Black Lotus to a duel for the fun of it.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Mana's girly girl.
Mana Itosu/Coral Merrow
Voiced by: Yuuko Gibu (Japanese), Cristina Valenzuela (English)A Burst Linker from Okinawa and the "child" of Lagoon Dolphin.
- Naïve Newcomer: Rather naive when it comes to Brain Burst given they give out their names to Kuroyukihime when the met her in real life.
- Pink Means Feminine: She's the girly girl to Ruka's tomboy and she's completely pink as Coral Merrow.
- Rapunzel Hair: As Coral Merrow.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The calm and polite Blue Oni to Ruka's impulsive and rash Red Oni.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Ruka's tomboy.
Chrome Falcon/1st Chrome DisasterAn Originator in Brain Burst, Chrome Falcon is the first Chrome Disaster, responsible for creating the Disaster Armor after his partner and lover had Brain Burst permanently uninstalled.
- Despair Event Horizon: He became the first Chrome Disaster due to reaching this when his lover, Saffron Blossom, was deleted from the game.
- Dying Curse: He leaves one to those who would seek out the Disaster Armor, doubling as a "The Reason You Suck" Speech to the ruthlessly competitive players he hated.I'll leave my rage and Blossom's suffering to this armor, to the Disaster. The next time someone craves power and puts it on, they will become something that attacks all Burst Linkers, destroys them, devours them. They will eat them and steal their powers and become infinitely strong. Until they are the last one. Until the end when only one remains in the wasteland of the infinitely vast Accelerated World.Because that is the true nature of your desire.I curse this world. I defile it. Even if I disappear temporarily here, my rage and hatred will come back to life any number of times.
- Fragile Speedster: Chrome Falcon's potential lies entirely in a single ability, whereas otherwise his Duel Avatar is very weak. In this case, said ability is a pseudo-teleport/Flash Step ability.
- Love Makes You Evil: It was his love for Saffron Blossom that motivated him so strongly. When he lost her, the results... were not pretty.
- Posthumous Character: Has long since been deleted from Accel World, but his effects (specifically the Disaster Armor) are still felt years afterwards.
- Shadow Archetype: A Lethal Joke Character Duel Avatar with a metal color and named after a bird, and all of its potential put in a single powerful ability. Driven to protect a girl he loves, yet believes is completely out of his league. Basically abandoned by his parents. Low self-esteem and very timid, but capable of great determination. Chrome Falcon serves as a very disturbing look into what could happen to Haru if he ever lost Kuroyukihime.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: What Chrome Falcon did and became is a lot more disturbing when you find out he was eight years old. Justified with Accel World's Year Inside, Hour Outside aspects, but still.
- What the Hell, Hero?: He mentally delivers one to all Burst Linkers, asking why people who are bullied and rejected in real life would do the same thing to their fellow players.
Saffron BlossomAn Originator in Brain Burst, Saffron Blossom was the partner and lover of Chrome Falcon.
- Ill Girl: In real life, she suffered from a degenerative disease.
- Mercy Kill: Request this to Chrome Falcon after being continuously resurected and killed by the Legend Class Enemy Jörmungand and The Accelerated Resaerch Society and left with only a parse amount of points. He complies.
- Posthumous Character: Has long since been deleted from Accel World.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: She wanted to live in the accelerated world with the boy she loved even if she couldn't live a full life in the real world, and establish an organization that would allow players to play without the fear of losing Brain Burst. Both dreams are cruelly taken away from her.
Enbuken - Analytical Performance Martial Arts Research Club
Chiaki Chigira/Aluminum Valkyrie
The main protagonist of the manga spin-off Dural: Magisa Garden, Chiaki recently returned from America, enrolling into an all-girls school. Her brother used to tell her stories about a "Snow Black Princess" and her adventures in a magical kingdom before he died. Seeing an opportunity, two of her seniors try to install Brain Burst on her, only to be rejected. Turns out her brother already installed it three years ago on his deathbed, and is an unknowing Avatar.
- Animal Motifs: Idolized Kuroyukihime to the point where her own public avatar is designed around a swallowtail butterfly.
- Badass Adorable: She is a very cute young girl and quite badass in real life, thanks in no small part to her years of study in America where she learned parkour and several martial arts.
- Berserk Button: She does not take too fondly to people talking about her height. Even if someone isn't actually talking about her height.
- Blood Knight: She loves a good fight and loves looking for one in the hope of growing stronger so she can be more like Kuroyukihime.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Smashes her teacher's desk with one foot on her first day. And that's just as a greeting.
- Fingerless Gloves: Wears a set of fingerless gloves.
- Hair Antennae: Has two rather butterfly like antennae.
- The Heroine: Of her own spin-off.
- Hero-Worshipper: Towards Kuroyukihime.
- Hot-Blooded: Very much so. Especially when it comes to combat.
- Knight in Shining Armor: The female Valkyrie type.
- The Napoleon: She does not like her height being brought up.
- Shana Clone: Not surprising, considering the fact that Ayato Sasakura, the artist of Dural, also worked on the manga adaptation of Shakugan no Shana. She's just more of a Genki Girl than most examples.
- To Be a Master: She wants to become the eighth King to impress Black Lotus.
Yuuko Hoori/Orange RaptorHead of Enbuken. In the real world wears a bear head on her swimsuit for some reason.
- Breath Weapon: One of her special moves. Deca Flare.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Her Avatar looks like a dinosaur with a scarf wrapped around its neck for some reason.
- Girlish Pigtails: The most girlish of the group with the pigtails to match.
- Ms. Fanservice: To begin with, she wears nothing but a two-piece bikini in the middle of school.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Her Duel Avatar wears one.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Again spends most of her time in two-piece bikini in the middle of school!
Kurumi Kuruma/Violet DancerMember of the Math Research Department staff martial arts division. In the real world has a habit of cross-dressing, garnering herself many fans in their all-girls school. Her avatar looks like an exotic Arabic dancer.
- Bifauxnen: Her overall appearance in real life complete with short hair and penchant for boyish clothing.
- Boyish Short Hair: Her short her really helps with her Bifauxnen look.
Lilya Usachova/Iris AliceRussian-Japanese student and newcomer to the Math Research Department staff martial arts division. She had been bullied because of her lack of proficiency with Japanese. Eventually becomes Yuko's "child".Has an Alice in Wonderland motif to her design and attacks.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Before she met Yuko.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: Lilya has a worse nightmare than anyone else in the cast or, for that matter, in the Accel World, as her trauma causes her to materialize a giant monstrous rabbit to destroy her enemies. Nothing less than the Chrome Disaster can possibly match.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Her reaction rate is said to be far higher than Chiaki.