To Light a Candle
I found him at a local flea market and bought him because he reminds me of a show I used to watch when I was a kid. Even though he doesn't look much like the puppet from the show I think I'm going to name him Percy.
— Jcarlson, first post
is a blog set in The Fear Mythos
Jcarlson is a new elementary school teacher. He has a classroom full of children to teach and often struggles to do so. Oh, and he's discovered a new channel, TowerTV, that is playing an old children's television show he remembers: Candle Cove
Within Candle Cove
, it seems Pirate Percy has lost Janice. He needs to find her, so he's going to see all the Lords and Ladies of the Realm and ask them where he can find a new
Needless to say, things get worse.
The blog has now concluded.
Tropes included in To Light a Candle:
- All There in the Manual: On the Fear Mythos forums the author mentioned that in the blogs canon the Skin-Taker was once Albert Fish.
- At the Crossroads: One of the reasons Jcarlson is able to find and free Janice is due to the Crossroad of Trials. However, the Crossroad has a sort of blue and orange way of seeing things: it immolates a man just for taking a cigarette.
- Badass Teacher: Jcarlson goes through hell in an attempt to rescue a kidnapped student.
- Big Bad: The Wooden Girl
- Bittersweet Ending: Jcarlson makes sure that Janice gets away and is safe, but he's stuck being the new Pirate Percy and now he has to find a new Janice to satisfy the Wooden Girl.
- Cuckoo Nest: Happens when Jcarlson finds himself at Shady Lawn, a mental institution run by Dr. Beakman.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Jcarlson tries this during his Heroic BSOD.
- Heroic BSOD: Occurs after Jcarlson has to slaughter a roomful of Puppets, all of them pleading for their lives even as the Wooden Girl forces them to attack.
- Mad Doctor: Dr. Beakman of Shady Lawn. Just what you would expect from an "Oathbreaker."
- Madness Mantra: "If I don't trust the doctor I won't get better. If I don't trust the doctor I won't get better. . ."
- People Puppets: Par for the course with the Wooden Girl; however, the Candle Cove puppets are literally puppets that used to be people.
- Shout-Out: Numerous. Many of his students were named after characters in Slenderman Vlogs the writer enjoys. Also contains shout outs to the Sarah Jane Adventures and Avatar the Last Airbender.
- X Meets Y: Candle Cove meets The Fear Mythos.