- The scene in the train station bathroom. "I am not an elephant. I am not an animal! I am a human being! I! AM! A MAN!"
- Don't get me started on the part where the strongman lifts him out of his cage at the freak show and they march with him to the boat that he pays for with his salary as a circus freak.
- "Mr. Carr Gomm... It's that. I didn't teach him that part."
- Carr Gomm's own Crowning Moment comes in the board meeting, when he serenely listens to the ranting of the Dr. Broadneck who refuses to "care for circus animals". Carr Gomm just sits there, smiling slightly. "I take it you are unshakeable?" And then he invites in Princess Alexandra, who reads everyone a letter from Victoria on the subject, and Carr Gomm's smile just gets bigger.
- Mothershead's Crowning Moment comes in this magnificent exchange:
Night Porter: You don't scare me! Only Mothershead can sack me now!Mothershead: (Hits him on the head with a box) Done.
- "Tonight's performance was very special to me. Because it was very special to someone else."
- Merrick decides to go to bed with just one pillow, even knowing it would mean his death. Doubles as Tear Jerker and Dying Moment of Awesome.
- An offscreen one for Mel Brooks, who produced the movie. He and co-producer Stuart Cornfeld screened it for Paramount executives, who requested some changes. According to Cornfeld, Brooks told them "We are involved in a business venture. We screened the film for you to bring you up to date as to the status of that venture. Do not misconstrue this as our soliciting the input of raging primitives."
- Also, Brooks intentionally withheld his name from credits. He feared people would think it was another one of his parodies rather than the serious heartwarming biography it is.