Awesome: Dragon Quest VIII
- It may not be as awesome as the first time you get to fly, but the cut-scene where the playing of the harp causes the desert to "remember when it was an ocean" and carry the stranded ship out to sea for your party to sail is still rather impressive.
- During the Initiation in Argonia, where Charmles is abusing Medea, King Trode tries to get Charmles to stop, and when he initially fails, says that Charmles can beat him instead of the horse-princess.
- Dhoulmagus hurling a maelstrom of thorns at the party in an attempt to curse them only for them to shatter as shield of light envelopes Hero. It's the first time an attack, not to mention the curse, has failed before his eyes, as well as the first he loses his cool. No grin, no laugh, he's completely ''stunned.''
- Any time one of the classic monster teams perform their Fusion Dance. The foes you face confronted with a trio of slimes or drackies think victory's in the bag when they merge to become a giant, glowing version of themselves. Ultruus the Ultra Slime, an even bigger, even mightier king slime, and Gracky the Great Dracky, an enormous Dracky, both of which have incredible power. Ultruus in his high Hp, defense and attack, and Gracky in it's high attack and speed, ability to hit twice in a row, and dodge every other attack thrown at it, if even that often. Both have an extremely powerful attack which hits all enemies, to boot. As for the final team of golems, already more than adequate in terms of power, merge to become a massive golem, the monstrous Mazin, immune to nearly every status effect, Attack, Defense and Hp as high as they can go, and his critical hit will vaporize everything but bosses and metal slimes. As a matter of fact, those two groups are the only ones who even stand a chance against him, and even against the mightiest bosses, he'll still last long enough to get in one good punch.
- When Charmles's behaviour bites him in the ass. HARD.
- Marcello, Angelo's estranged brother. He fights off being possessed by Rhapthorne, the lord of darkness and the Big Bad of the game, by stabbing himself in the arm.
- You cannot deny that Marcello's speech before your battle with him is worthy of applause, even if he does simply mean he's the only fit to rule.
The Lord High Priest, our kings, our Goddess! All of them reign over us from their high exalted thrones! Each one as useless as the next!
- It's not often that you see a party actually celebrate a victory over the Big Bad. Yangus sums it up nicely: "We dun it, guv! We only went an' bleedin' dun it!!"
- King Trode in the normal ending, where he disarms a guard wielding a halberd using nothing but a small twig. Then he knocks him out with one blow to the stomach.
- Like his fellow ruler, King Clavius gets one during the ending when he finally calls out his worthless Spoiled Brat of a son and reveals he knew all about his cheating the ritual by buying an Argon Heart. He'd given Charmles every chance to own up and show some character, but he'd wasted them all, expecting everything to keep going his way just because of his rank. Even sweeter in the good ending, where he then reveals that the Hero is his cousin, and thanks to Charmles' trying to cheat, he's completed the Rite of Passage instead and proven himself a more fitting and able heir.
- Both of Hero's accomplishments, beating Morrie and becoming champion and his successor in the Monster Arena, and beating all the Dragovian trials, deserve a mention. Defeating the strongest Monster Team user in the ultimate battle for glory, and the strongest of the Dragovians at the height of his power, proves him as beyond exceptional as a leader, as well as warrior.