So basically, it's The Fantastic Voyage but with giant robots and Robin Hood's Merry Men.
—An archive.org user summarizes
, better known as Space Transformers
, is a perplexingly insane
and incredibly low-quality
pseudoanime straight from South Korea. The plot focuses around a Cyborg
woman named Ivy, who defends the entire universe from enemies with her built-in evil-sensing computers. The enemy infects her with a virus. Now the only one to save her is Diatron 5, a Humongous Mecha
shrunk down to microscopic size that goes in to fight the bacteria. Two kids, a battle station called the "Star Wars
" and Diatron's inventor join her in the battle against evil. Evil being an androgynous woman named Mary, her brother with blue skin who looks suspiciously like Spock
and their fleet of robots and forest green demon-like aliens.
It was dubbed twice; first with an American-sounding cast under the name Micro-Commando Diatron-5, which can be viewed here
, and later on under the name Space Transformers with a British sounding cast (some being from Space Thunder Kids as well), released by infamous producer Joseph Lai
, that can be downloaded here.
Bits and pieces of the film were redubbed and incorporated into Space Thunder Kids
by Joseph Lai, in the same manner as the Godfrey Ho Ninja Movies
Tropes used by the film:
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us
- Apocalypse Maiden: Ivy
- Art Shift: The animation ranges from extremely poor to half-decent.
- Artistic License - Biology: So many instances. For the most egregious example, people do not have small galaxies inside their bodies.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Diatron 5 basically wipes out the entire enemy fleet with a single 5-shaped laser blast.
- "Fantastic Voyage" Plot: Perhaps the only one to involve a giant robot, and once inside Ivy's body, nothing at all remotely resembles a human body's insides. It's not even like "Osmosis Jones" where the white blood cells are people or anything, there's just a whole complete Earth with kingdoms inside her.
- Hong Kong Dub: Two of them!
- Ill Girl: Ivy
- Incredible Shrinking Man
- Literal Ass Kicking
- Mock Buster: To their credit, the plot is fairly original (if insane), but almost everything else was ripped off from something else. Interestingly, it does not rip off Transformers, at least not directly. The "Diatron 5" is actually Machine Buffalo, a robot from Takara's Diaclone toyline, which was also the source of about half the cast of G1, including Optimus, but Buffalo itself was never imported under the TF brand. Ironically, this film is probably the only reason anybody remembers it.
- Mysterious Waif: Ivy
- Non Dubbed Grunts: Especially jarring, considering the original voice actor sounded like a small boy, and the dub voice was an adult male.
- Off Model
- Orgasmic Combat: The sequence where Mary gets beaten up by Biphon sounds awfully like a rape scene if you have your eyes closed.
- Saving the World
- Stuffed into the Fridge: Charlene
- Stay In The Spaceship: The scientist tells the young girl this.
- Tag Team Suicide: Checker does this after Charlene is killed.
- Terminally Dependent Society