is a 2006 South Korean animated series that aired in the network KBS in collaboration with CJ E&M's MMORPG divison.
Based on two Massively Multiplayer Online Games titled Koongya Adventure
and Green Garden
), the series is about a group of food-based waddling head-like creatures called Koongyas who struggled making their restaurant gain profit. The Koongyas promote healthy food to their customers and even the audience of the series audience. Not only it was set on the restaurant, the Koongyas also travel places helping allies and facing villains.
The series is made up of 26 episodes and gained decent ratings at debut. It was noted by viewers for its humor and many shout outs to other works.
It was released in video, both in DVD and for some reason VHS.
Koongya Koongya provides examples of:
- Alternate Continuity: The show is a completely different continuity from the games.
- The Anime of the Game: It's based on two MMORPGs.
- Animesque: It looks like an anime but it's actually made in South Korea.
- Anthropomorphic Food: The Koongyas are based on one kind of food.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Many episodes have the characters with face difficulties, but in the finale, every main character except Onigiri Koongya (He became a janitor, whom he is unsatisfied with.) ended up having a satisfactory career.
- Fun Size: Dr. Park's robot, who looks like a small version of Mecha in Anime.
- Mad Scientist: Dr. Park is a non-evil example.
- Medium Blending: One episode had a moment where Onion Koongya was seen with an Entertainment Weekly reporter in live-action.
- Shout-Out: Has many.
- The movie Onion Koongya and Bangye Koongya watched in a theater is a parody of Indiana Jones.
- The episode "Tears of the Desert" is another Indiana Jones shout out in the plane scene.
- Dr. Park's robot is a reference to Robot Taekwon V.
- Bangye Koongya parodies various martial arts protagonists.
- Villain Protagonist: The main character is Onion Koongya, who was the trouble maker of his group and was blamed for the downfall of the restaurant.