History VideoGame / CityOfHeroes

18th Jun '16 12:24:34 PM MarkLungo
Is there an issue? Send a Message


''City of Heroes'' was complemented and paralleled by a villainous counterpart, ''City of Villains''. Players of ''City of Villains'' assume the role of a freshly escaped super-powered convict who may fit into a prophecy about a "destined one" whom it is said will rise to threaten even the most powerful echelons of the Rogue Isles villain factions. The two games overlap in select areas, including [=PvP=] zones and a [[GoodGuyBar no-conflict nightclub]] in another dimension called "Pocket D". The two games, originally separate subscriptions, were eventually combined, allowing players who hadn't bought [=CoV=] to make villain characters, and vice-versa.

to:

''City of Heroes'' was complemented and paralleled by a villainous counterpart, ''City of Villains''.''VideoGame/CityOfVillains''. Players of ''City of Villains'' assume the role of a freshly escaped super-powered convict who may fit into a prophecy about a "destined one" whom it is said will rise to threaten even the most powerful echelons of the Rogue Isles villain factions. The two games overlap in select areas, including [=PvP=] zones and a [[GoodGuyBar no-conflict nightclub]] in another dimension called "Pocket D". The two games, originally separate subscriptions, were eventually combined, allowing players who hadn't bought [=CoV=] to make villain characters, and vice-versa.



Originally, a variety of (back)story was told through the developers' adopted avatars -- known collectively as the Avengers-esque super-team Freedom Phalanx -- with the hero Statesman as their (in game and out) leader. Their evil counterparts would later be introduced in ''City of Villains''. Known as Arachnos by name and led by Statesman's equal-but-opposite in Lord Recluse, ruler of the Rogue Isles (a fictional archipelago about 50 miles north of Bermuda). Statesman was originally the in-game avatar of real life senior developer Jack Emmert, who has since moved on and left the game in the care of Lead Developer Matt Miller (known for his avatar, Positron), who has since moved ''down'' to hands-on design work, handing the role of Lead Developer to Melissa Bianco (known for her avatar, War Witch).

to:

Originally, a variety of (back)story was told through the developers' adopted avatars -- known collectively as the Avengers-esque [[Franchise/TheAvengers Avengers]]-esque super-team Freedom Phalanx -- with the hero Statesman as their (in game and out) leader. Their evil counterparts would later be introduced in ''City of Villains''. Known as Arachnos by name and led by Statesman's equal-but-opposite in Lord Recluse, ruler of the Rogue Isles (a fictional archipelago about 50 miles north of Bermuda). Statesman was originally the in-game avatar of real life senior developer Jack Emmert, who has since moved on and left the game in the care of Lead Developer Matt Miller (known for his avatar, Positron), who has since moved ''down'' to hands-on design work, handing the role of Lead Developer to Melissa Bianco (known for her avatar, War Witch).
14th Jun '16 11:48:56 AM morenohijazo
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* PumpkinPerson: The Fir Bolg have been transformed into humanoid vine monsters with pumpkin heads.
24th May '16 11:31:26 AM NativeJovian
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* ImplausibleFencingPowers: Not explicitly shown or stated, but the [[CoolSword Broadsword]] and [[KatanasAreJustBetter Katana]] sets have a power that grants defense against Lethal damage, which just happens to be the damage type dealt by ''guns''.


Added DiffLines:

* ParryingBullets: Not explicitly shown or stated, but the [[CoolSword Broadsword]] and [[KatanasAreJustBetter Katana]] sets have a power that grants defense against Lethal damage, which just happens to be the damage type dealt by ''guns''.
22nd May '16 8:46:15 PM IronicMouse
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* TheWarJustBefore: The Rikti War provided context for the game's initial release. Most of Paragon City's heroes had died in the war, and you played as a new hero in the city, just joining the good fight. The War Walls, which divided up the city into districts, were explained as megastructures built to keep the alien Rikti at bay. The prevalence of criminal gangs, organized crime, demonic cults, and supervillainy in the city was {{Justified}} as having risen up to fill the void the dead heroes had left behind.
** And it wasn't long before the Rikti returned, intent on finishing what they started.
20th May '16 2:47:42 PM DarkStorm
Is there an issue? Send a Message


Heroes defeated NPC Villains and foil the plans of various archvillains and nefarious groups out to destroy Paragon/The World/Humanity. Villains carried out missions against {{NPC}} Heroes or other Villain groups to please various factions and power brokers and thereby improve their standing in the underworld. Praetorians either act as Loyalists and strengthen th rule of Emperor Cole or act as part of the Resistance to take Tyrant down and free Praetorian Earth from his control, until deciding whether or not they are a hero or a villain. Rogues try to redeem their villainous ways by protecting Paragon City while Vigilantes weasel their way into the villainous underground of the Rogue Isles. [[TheGreatPlayerVersusPlayerDebate Player-vs-Player combat]] was limited to restricted areas and is not necessary for game or level progress, although certain bonuses could be gathered by risking yourself in these areas.

to:

Heroes defeated NPC Villains and foil the plans of various archvillains and nefarious groups out to destroy Paragon/The World/Humanity. Villains carried out missions against {{NPC}} Heroes or other Villain groups to please various factions and power brokers and thereby improve their standing in the underworld. Praetorians either act as Loyalists and strengthen th the rule of Emperor Cole or act as part of the Resistance to take Tyrant down and free Praetorian Earth from his control, until deciding whether or not they are a hero or a villain. Rogues try to redeem their villainous ways by protecting Paragon City while Vigilantes weasel their way into the villainous underground of the Rogue Isles. [[TheGreatPlayerVersusPlayerDebate Player-vs-Player combat]] was limited to restricted areas and is not necessary for game or level progress, although certain bonuses could be gathered by risking yourself in these areas.
19th May '16 8:46:43 AM Doug86
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* [[WeirdScience Science]]: Characters that get their powers via scientific means. Super serums, [[ILoveNuclearPower radiation]], [[FreakLabAccident experiments gone wrong]], experiments gone ''right'', etc. Examples include Comicbook/{{Spider-Man}}, Marvel's Sandman and the Comicbook/FantasticFour. In universe example: Synapse of the Freedom Phalanx.

to:

* [[WeirdScience Science]]: Characters that get their powers via scientific means. Super serums, [[ILoveNuclearPower radiation]], [[FreakLabAccident experiments gone wrong]], experiments gone ''right'', etc. Examples include Comicbook/{{Spider-Man}}, Comicbook/SpiderMan, Marvel's Sandman and the Comicbook/FantasticFour. In universe example: Synapse of the Freedom Phalanx.
14th May '16 8:03:40 AM Doug86
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* [[{{Mutants}} Mutation]]: Characters born with their powers that eventually unlock as they grow older. Generally refers to humans inexplicably born with these features. Most of the characters in ''Comicbook/{{X-Men}}'' qualify. In universe example: Sister Psyche of the Freedom Phalanx.

to:

* [[{{Mutants}} Mutation]]: Characters born with their powers that eventually unlock as they grow older. Generally refers to humans inexplicably born with these features. Most of the characters in ''Comicbook/{{X-Men}}'' ''Comicbook/XMen'' qualify. In universe example: Sister Psyche of the Freedom Phalanx.



** Sister Psyche heavily resembles [[ComicBook/{{X-Men}} Jean Grey]], right down to being [[HeroesWantRedheads a redhead]].

to:

** Sister Psyche heavily resembles [[ComicBook/{{X-Men}} [[ComicBook/XMen Jean Grey]], right down to being [[HeroesWantRedheads a redhead]].
5th May '16 10:02:46 AM MegaMarioMan
Is there an issue? Send a Message
23rd Apr '16 6:20:31 PM apm483@gmail.com
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* AbnormalAmmo: A large part of [[GunsAkimbo Dual Pistols]]' shtick is [[NewPowersAsThePlotDemands the "Swap Ammo" power]], which gives you access to three toggles: [[KillItWithFire Incendiary]], [[KillItWithIce Cryo]], and [[UniversalPoison Chemical]] Ammunition. Every other power in the set will do 70% Lethal damage, with the remaining 30% depending on the ammo you have toggled on.

to:

* AbnormalAmmo: AbnormalAmmo:
**
A large part of [[GunsAkimbo Dual Pistols]]' shtick is [[NewPowersAsThePlotDemands the "Swap Ammo" power]], which gives you access to three toggles: [[KillItWithFire Incendiary]], [[KillItWithIce Cryo]], and [[UniversalPoison Chemical]] Ammunition. Every other power in the set will do 70% Lethal damage, with the remaining 30% depending on the ammo you have toggled on.on.
** On a less absurd scale, the '''Assault Rifle''' can fire '''shotgun''' ammunition like buckshot and slugs. One of its underbarrel options is a [[KillItWithFire flamethrower]].
16th Apr '16 4:12:34 PM Aribter-Nelson
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** Scirocco is the only one who tries to make friends with the others to work around this, it does help much and only really leads to MinionShipping.

to:

** Scirocco is the only one who tries to make friends with the others to work around this, it does not help much and only really leads to MinionShipping.
This list shows the last 10 events of 233. Show all.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_history.php?article=VideoGame.CityOfHeroes