The Constructive Criticism Thread:
- This thread is for helping people improve as writers. Please stay away from needlessly gushing or needlessly being mean when handing out criticism.
- No mentioning your own work when giving out criticism. This is to prevent "Let's talk about ME" derails.
- Feedback will be given to one person at a time. We're taking a deliberately slow pace; a person's turn to get feedback is generally supposed to last a week, but we're not ending someone's turn until they get feedback from at least five different people. On the other hand, the person getting feedback can end their own turn if they figure they're done.
- When a turn ends, we wait 12 hours to see if anyone of the people who have just given feedback wants to be up next. If they don't, we pick the person up next from the feedback request list.
- Yes, it's okay to point out spelling and grammar errors made by the person you're giving feedback to.
- If you're unfamiliar with the original verse of a piece of Fan Fiction up for feedback, pretend it's a piece of original fiction and criticize accordingly.
- If and when you step up to receive feedback:
- Post actual writing (not world-building, concepts, layouts, character lists and so on).
- Be specific in what you are looking for, or at least mention what is troubling you the most.
- Fan Fiction is fine, but take into account that anyone not familiar with the source material will judge your piece "blind", essentially by the same standards as original fiction. This means you might get called out on flaws that fan fiction usually gets away with in practice, perhaps even justifiably so. Just like any other kind of criticism, consider it or ignore at at your discretion.
- Be ready to hear some things you probably didn't want to hear. This should go without saying, but, please: No being bitter, being sarcastic, calling people out for "going too far" or otherwise expressing disapproval of the criticism given to you. If you think people are being unfair to your writing, make your case civilly.
edited 17th Feb '12 5:07:01 PM by TripleElation
edited 26th Mar '12 3:45:05 PM by RPGenius
edited 26th Mar '12 5:24:54 PM by Euodiachloris
edited 31st Mar '12 1:16:47 PM by KillerClowns
edited 31st Mar '12 5:14:00 PM by KillerClowns
edited 31st Mar '12 5:15:38 PM by KillerClowns
edited 1st Apr '12 9:12:31 AM by Euodiachloris
edited 1st Apr '12 9:35:30 AM by Night
edited 1st Apr '12 9:35:49 AM by nrjxll
edited 1st Apr '12 12:24:36 PM by KillerClowns
edited 1st Apr '12 1:07:33 PM by Night
edited 1st Apr '12 1:19:15 PM by jewelleddragon