Huh. Well, I don't think I have any specific species I avoid- I have a story/world on the back-burner that is a world of Funny Animal
s (I got a bad case of World Builder's disease, which is part of the reason it's on the back burner). Granted, it's more about vaguely superhero-ish military operations than the funny animal end of things, but... er, yeah, it's kind of an oddball plot.
Lesse; the lead characters are a snowshoe hare, a monkey (didn't really think about the particular species, probably a spider monkey by the build though), a beaver, a mouse, a sheep, and a mallard, along with a rabbit and chameleon that are... auxiliaries, for lack of a better term. I have no idea how stereotypical I was being or not- I tended to pun first and come up with justifications later when creating the characters, despite the actual tone of the series being relatively serious.
- Frozen Hare- team lead, powerset combining bits from Iron Fist, Iceman, and Cyclops. Yeah, I don't know either.
- Electric Monkey- Lightning powers, along with... Green-Lantern-esque solid-electric forms, albeit limited mostly to simple geometric shapes.
- Cyberbeaver- quasi-indestructible cyber-enhanced tech genius with a BFG and the ability to build just about anything really really fast (with a visual effect kind of like the Tazmanian Devil's spinning)
- Enormouse- Size Shifter, from about six inches tall to something like a mile and a bit. The team strongman for obvious reasons, although him being a bodybuilder in civilian life helps with that as well.
- Lamb Chop- super-powered martial artist. Yeah, yeah, I know >.O
- The Ducktor- extremely powerful teleporter. I actually wasn't thinking of Doctor Who with this, and the character is nothing like the Doctor. Or the other Doctor.
- Gun Bunny- heavily armed rabbit with the 'secret' power of infinite ammo.
- TeChameleon- colour-changing lizard in Powered Armor with similar build-stuff powers to the beaver. Also my Author Avatar... kinda. Personality loosely based on my own, but that's about it. Also the reason why I decided to keep the character in a fairly minor role.
Oh, and two of these characters are female. Can you guess which ones (and no, Lamb Chop isn't one of them)?
Anyway, in the course of worldbuilding, I ended up with secondary and side characters from just about every species imaginable- just off the top of my head, a bunch of Australian critters (kangaroo, echidnas, kookaburras, wombat, emu, and I think a few others)- angelfish, anglerfish, barn owls, ostrich, badgers, elephants, coyote, ghost shark, collie, moose, cougars, cetaceans of a wide variety of types, alligator, weasels, raven, mutt-type-dog-pretending-to-be-wolf, spawning fish (had salmon in mind, mostly, but there's room for others), wolverine, bears (Chinese Golden and Grizzly, if memory serves), along with a bunch of mythological beasties (... yeah, pretty much the entire menagerie. If it wasn't of the 'a bit of a human stuck to a bit of something else' variety, it probably got at least a mention. There's even a Jabberwock).
Although, oddly enough... as far as I can remember, I don't have a single panda
edited 5th Dec '11 9:06:20 PM by TeChameleon