serious-ish WMG on the future of humanity:
- exoskeletons to enhance regular human movement and prosthetics that can match or exceed normal human performance will be available within 50 years.
- Research on the human brain, combined with continuing advances in computing technology, will allow us to create an artificial brain that matches the human one in both processing power and size within the next 150 years. Like Ghost in the Shell.
- The fastest method of developing a cure for (old age) death is to simply replace the entire human body with an artificial one. Possible very soon after the above point is discovered.
- FTL travel, if it's ever discovered, will always remain so cost-prohibitive that the "slow method" of travel will always be preferred for transportation. that is, there's no point in strip-mining a planet and shipping the resources on FTL travel, it'll always be delivered the slow way.
- If (reliable) FTL travel is never discovered, the slow method using artificial bodies that never age will be the best method for colonizing other planets outside our solar system.
- Combined with the above points, the fastest and cheapest interplanetary travel method will simply to buy a spare artificial body on another planet and upload your personality/identity to it, if it's already been colonized. information travels at the speed of light and it's cheap to send.
edited 12th Jul '11 9:05:33 PM by willyolio
edited 18th Jun '12 4:57:03 AM by Carciofus
edited 16th Sep '13 6:50:30 PM by BrainSewage
You need to Get Known to get one of those.