- Archive Panic: While it is impossible to tell how many new viewers have looked at the Vlogbrothers' 1000+ videos (and counting) and fled in fear, the potential is certainly there. Especially taking their other YouTube channels as well as non-YouTube websites into account. The volume really is massive.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Pretty much all of Hank's songs, but some pretty notable ones include "Accio Deathly Hallows", "Book Eight", "People Who Love Giraffes", and "The Anglerfish Song".
- Death of the Author: John is a strong proponent of this about his novels. They both feel this way about Nerdfighteria.
- Ear Worm: Hank's songs. All of them.
- Also, the "HITLER and SEX!" theme .
- Hilarious in Hindsight: In 2013, Hank released his annual Harry Potter song- this one was called "Oh, JK Rowling", begging said author to please release another book or project. Barely a day later, and it came out that Rowling in fact had, under the Pen Name Robert Galbraith.
- Incest Subtext: Not usually, but when Hank names his favorite part of John (his right cheek), they mention the fanfiction they may very well have just inspired.
John: Not today, slash fiction writers!Hank: [laughing]: No, not today!
- Jokingly defied when the brothers are doing a joint video, and agree not to end it by saying good-bye, because that would require them turning to each other and staring into each other's eyes.
- Memetic Mutation: Adding "in my/your pants" to the ends of book titles, an idea originally thought of by Maureen Johnson.
- Puppy-sized elephants.
- And tiny chicken disease (in which tiny chickens lay eggs inside your nose, which hatch baby chickens that eat your brain and poop out of your nostrils. In other words, the common cold.)
- "Dude! No edge!"
- More recently, Hank trying to express frustration over ketchup bottles and self-checkout machines in a discreet manner: "Passive-agressive...robot...sack of...ketchup...pee! Gah!" It's even been turned into a T-shirt!
- "Remember, this man is an award winning novelist." Used whenever John acts kooky.
- Memetic Badass: The Swindon Town Swoodilypoopers. Specifically, Bald John Green and Other John Green (who is, at it happens, "SO STRONG").
- Nightmare Fuel:
Some people saw my ad for a position working at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza.I can still taste all the blood...Test Subject 934 is Hank Green.He is excited to work for me.Test Subject 933 distracted him while me and my friends talked about who would stuff him into a Freddy Fazbear suit......and roll around in his blood.He wasn't scared yet...So we killed Test Subject 933.We started to move,and watched him...We cut off the cameras.Time for some fun.NEVER.noteTest Subject 934 begs for his life...
- Most nerdfighters would agree that Brotherhood 2.0-era Hank was fairly...disturbing. (And it's not because he included footage of earwax.)
- If footage of a goat giving birth wasn't disquieting enough, wait until you see the techno remix. You get to see it reversed.
- The ending of Hank's video "Do You Believe In God?", where he alters the sound and visuals so that he looks and sounds very demonic as he jokingly says that he worships Satan. A Jump Scare of sorts.
- Even worse, demonic Hank is in the video's thumbnail.
- The "Now Hiring at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza" video from Games with Hank. It recaps Hank's playthrough of FNAF from Freddy's perspective.
- Squick: All the videos about giraffe and giant squid sex.
- Let's not forget the time when Hank fell in love with a tree.