* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: A very long one that starts at the camp scene and ends with the death of the Invisible Swordsman. In the middle of this is another nested BLAM: the "Blue Shadows" musical number sang to Ned so he won't be afraid of the desert while their horses sing back up vocals and at the end of the song a turtle says "Goodnight, Ned!". For a while the movie seems to be confused as to whether it should have a realistic setting or something out of a Zucker Brothers movie. Some TV prints cut out the entirety of this sequence, going straight from the Amigos riding off from the village to them arriving at El Guapo's mission after the commercial break; these cuts skip a few good gags, but the plot isn't affected one tiny bit.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: RandyNewman's three songs are incredibly hilarious and somewhat touching, specifically "Blue Shadows".
* EarWorm: The title theme.
* GeniusBonus: After Jefe assures El Guapo that they have enough piñatas, El Guapo asks if they have a "plethora" of piñatas. Jefe agrees, despite not knowing what a "plethora" is, which enrages El Guapo. Most people assume "plethora" simply means "a lot", and El Guapo is being a jerk to Jefe by needlessly using a fancy word and then putting Jefe down for not knowing what it means. "Plethora" really means "too many," so El Guapo is really asking, in response to Jefe saying they have a ton of piñatas, whether they have an unreasonable amount. When Jefe ''happily'' says that yes, they do, El Guapo realizes Jefe is just being a yes man.
** Then again, when Jefe accuses El Guapo of wanting to be upset at him just because he's fuming about turning 40, El Guapo seems to agree, so maybe he was just being a jerk to Jefe.
* MagnificentBastard: El Guapo.
* MemeticMutation: The "plethora" conversation.
* VindicatedByCable: The film was only a modest money-earner and received mixed reviews on release. Today it's more fondly regarded by fans of 80's comedies, thanks to plenty of repeat showings on HBO, and eventually earned a spot on Bravo's "100 Funniest Movies" list.
* WhatAnIdiot: Dusty.
-->'''Lucky:''' (''after Dusty killed the Invisible Swordsman'') You were supposed to fire ''up''! We fired ''up''! (''sighs'') It's like living with a 6-year-old...