- Complete Monster: The Colonel, of the "casual killing of anything that impedes him (even children), massive trail of Rape, Pillage, and Burn" variety. Also Saddest Flute (and by extension the Sad Flutes Clan), who takes Leave No Witnesses to the highest extreme (leaving behind massive kill counts) and is chasing Yang around (caring nothing about the massive losses that incur from taking on Yang) because he didn't had the guts to kill a baby.
- Hollywood Homely: Lynne, who always has dirt on her face.
- Paranoia Fuel: Enemy ninjas pop out of everywhere, such as a river, a field of snow, out of the floorboards, and dropping out of the sky.
- Strangled by the Red String: Yang and Lynne, especially when the former doesn't seem to visibly share any feelings due to being The Stoic showing Dull Surprise at almost anything.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: There was so much potential to have a story where Yang raises a child of an enemy clan, always on the run, in the Old West of all places, but instead they focused on Lynne's less-interesting revenge story with a romance on the side and a fight between Cowboys and Ninja tacked on at the end.
- WTH, Casting Agency?:
- Geoffrey Rush as some drunken cowboy?
- For Asian audiences, Ti Lung, one of the few Hongkong actors to share top billing with Chow Yun-fat.