- Alternate Character Interpretation: Was Kelly a huge bitch to Spencer or was she just frustrated that Spencer waited until they were at Makeout Point to tell her that she wasn't interested, thus meaning she was led on. Spencer didn't exactly help the matter, never once asking if they were on a date despite Ashley making it obvious that Kelly was into Spencer.
- Broken Base: Many fans were dissatisfied with the way the show changed late in season 2 and completely disliked season 3. A few were happy that Spashley was saved but many were disappointed that they killed off Clay and the Davies sisters suddenly got rich enough to drop out of school.
- Unfortunately, one of those was unavoidable: Danso Gordon left the show due to his beliefs—namely, that they were being marginalized by being represented through Paula, the character that the audience was supposed to loathe.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: Paula showing up at the gay pride rally and accepting Spencer during the episode "Gay Pride".
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Kelly, the girl Spencer inadvertently goes out with in "Put Out or Get Out" is quite popular in the fandom despite never appearing again. Her line "You wanna go topless?" followed by her starting to strip is very synonymous to her character. (For context, she was driving a convertible and Spencer asked if they could "lose the top".)
- Ethnic Scrappy: Madison could sometimes come off as this and Sean could at others.
- Foe Yay: Arguably Ashley and Madison, Aiden and Glen in Season 1.
- Jerkass Woobie: One episode features Spencer's BFF Deb from Ohio. While she is kind of rude to Ashley, Spencer doesn't exactly make any attempt to explain herself to her. It ends with Spencer sending her home with the girl not having any clue what she did wrong.
- Psycho Lesbian: Carmen. It's very much open to Alternate Character Interpretation.
- Seasonal Rot: Season 3. Executive meddling led to the loss of the show's head writer, to the creation of several goofy storylines, and to the show's eventual cancellation.
- Certainly there in Season 2. Most visible with Spashley—as Karman Kregloe noted, the kisses averaged out at two seconds each (This was due to the aforementioned meddling—once the execs were convinced otherwise, the girls got a lot more touchy-feely.)
- Unfortunate Implications: Carmen's homelessness combined with the fact that she was also gay and a Starving Artist.