- Ambiguous Disorder: Jake can be read this way. He spends his introductory conversation with Emmett climbing all over his jail cell for no apparent reason, and at one point Augie claims to be more mature than him (and Jake is unable to contest it).
- Awesome Music: Bruce Broughton's score fits perfectly with the idea of reconstructing the Western genre after two decades of deconstruction. It's epic, sweeping, and triumphant.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The moment where Paden is calmly standing still while loading his gun and aiming, amid his adversary firing quickly and wildly at him—and missing—anticipates Unforgiven's famous Deconstruction of Fastest Gun in the West by seven years.
- Moment of Awesome: Quite a few, but a very subtle one is a confrontation midway into the film between Jake and Tyree in Stella's bar. Despite having his eyes locked on Tyree in an epic stare-down, Jake is fully aware of Tyree's two goons ready to go for their guns behind him. And he lets them know it.
Jake: What's the matter, Paden? You afraid I couldn't get those two behind me?
- Moral Event Horizon: "Emmitt... They took the little boy." Cue Roaring Rampage of Revenge