YMMV: Rendezvous with Rama
- Harsher in Hindsight: The book opens/begins with the deaths of 600,000 people and the near-destruction of North Italy... on September 11, 2077.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: When the 40 km-long Rama appears in the Solar System in 2131, it is claimed that nothing that large had been found in the Solar System in 100 years. Nowadays, you can count on something twice that size or bigger being found about once a month. Of course, it may all dry up in the next 20 years, but that's a bit unlikely.
- Only The Creator Does It Right: A frequent criticism of Gentry Lee's novels.
- OT 3: Mercer, Calvert and their unnamed wife back on Earth.
- Sequelitis: The unplanned sequels were not as well received as the original.