YMMV: October Sky
- Critical Research Failure: Homer writes a letter of condolence to Werner von Braun after the failure of the Vanguard launch. Vanguard was a Navy project that von Braun had nothing to do with, and one he actually opposed; he was part of the Army Ballistic Missile Agency, which successfully launched the Explorer satellite later that year.
- In Homer Hickam's commentary, he points out that the equation Homer in the movie uses to show where rockets landed is the equation used to determine the height it reached during flight.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: The Railroad Tracks of Doom incident mentioned below.
- Executive Meddling: The title was changed from "Rocket Boys" because executives believed that having "Boys" in the title would drive away female viewers.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: The police come to the boys' school to arrest them for the forest fire. The Moment comes when the math teacher complains that the boys have been metaphorically put in handcuffs.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- One of the men who helps the boys build their rockets is named "Mr. Bolden". Guess what the name of the man who became the head of NASA 10 years after the movie came out was?
- Homer's school principal who tries to stop Miss Riley from encouraging the boys in their rocketry previously played NASA's Director of Flight Operations Deke Slayton.