- Fridge Horror: Colson was very clearly falling in love with Josie. But the thing is, he had no idea about her true age. No one did. So it could be argued that he fell in love with a high school girl.
- More straddling the line between this and Fridge Logic, but - Rob is a 23-year-old pretending to be a high-school student, who plays baseball. Most, if not all, governing bodies would force South Glen South to forfeit the games in which he played, as players over 18 are a big no-no a high school sports.
- Hilariousin Hindsight: Seeing James Franco as one of the popular jerks and Leelee Sobieski as a bully-target becomes almost karmic when you see the ending to The Wicker Man remake.
- Hollywood Homely: Leelee Sobieski as the nerdy girl, especially when she strips down to that spandex blue cat suit at the prom. Also Josie Geller — she's supposed to be a bookish, nerdy girl as well...but she's Drew frikkin' Barrymore! That said, they do manage to make Drew look pretty bad in her prom flashback. More than the majority of these examples, anyway.
- Retroactive Recognition: Hey, who's that guy getting hit in the face with a purse? That wretched James Franco, of course!
- Tearjerker: Josie's flashback to the night of her prom. Her younger self giddily rushes to her front porch to meet her date... only for him and his real date to cruelly pelt her with eggs and drive off, leaving young Josie sobbing.