- Cliché Storm: After the Genre Shift some parts of the story can feel this this, but it tends to help the series overall.
- Growing the Beard: Itsuwaribito starts rather slowly and aside from Utsuho's vague "helping 1000 people with good lies" goal has no real direction at first, feeling more like a bunch of anthology pieces or a Mystery of the Week series set in a Magic Realism based version of feudal Japan, but after introducing the 9 legendary treasures plot in chapter 42 the series starts to develop a more Shonen feel to it and gets a better sense of focus and an overarching storyline. It is also helped with the introduction of antagonists that follow a more Grey vs. Grey dynamic which help give a sense of urgency while also making a larger recurring cast (as opposed to the previous arc specific characters and clearly evil antagonists) and giving more time to develop the characters from both sides of the conflict and going into their backstories.
- Moral Event Horizon: Killing Pochi's mother was bad enough; but the hunter fully crosses the line when he gleefully mocks Pochi with her corpse and the begins to break Pochi's legs by stepping on them.
- Also, Iriya. He leads a massacre of orphan children and tells Utsuho that they begged for their lives, all while smiling as if nothing at all was wrong. Then he comes back later on in the series and shows that he has gotten even worse then he was back then.
- The Woobie: Many of the main characters can qualify as varying types of woobies after learning their backstories.
- Pochi is the most obvious example. A naively trusting Cloud Cuckoo Lander, who is also really really cute. You can't help but feel your heart break when he sees his dead mother's body.
- Uzume can count considering his abusive backstory and stupid, but friendly, personality which is only highlighted by how conflicted he feels about fighting Utsuho's group since he likes them, but doesn't want to hurt Kuroha's feelings. His terrified reaction to Choza nearly dying for him and how broken he seemed after finding Kuroha and Saiha's dead bodies further cement him as this.
- Minamo has been locked up her entire life because of her ability to see the future and often has visions about how the people close to her are going to die.