- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: Both of the sequels are heading in this direction. While the original story was fairly dark, it still ended up being a case of Earn Your Happy Ending, avoiding this trope... until the sequels, which pulled some downright brutal Happy Ending Override, especially where Rarity is concerned, which turned off many readers. To put it in perspective, both sequels have the Tragedy tag, which is basically just an advance warning that a story cannot possibly end happily.
- Evil Is Sexy: Rarity's birthday gift to Twilight was teaching her how to highlight her natural good looks. Then she turns evil, and really gets into keeping up her looks.
- Sweetie Belle, post Face-Heel Turn, also qualifies. She comments on how she's just as beautiful as Rarity, and starts flaunting her looks even more than Queen!Twilight does.
- Internet Backdraft: The author received quite a bit of negativity when he seemingly killed off Rarity. She denies that this in any way influenced her Disney Death the following chapter, saying it was the plan all along.
- Jerkass Woobie: Twilight Sparkle pre-Face-Heel Turn. The Bad Dreams telling her that her friends, family and mentor still hates her for trying to do the right thing wasn't a particularly happy memory for her.
- Les Yay: As is popular in fanon, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie's subtextual Les Yay is upped to them having crushes on each other.
- Moral Event Horizon: Queen!Twilight crosses it big time with her "coming out party". First there's the Sadistic Choice listed on the main page, which is quickly followed by locking Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie in Sugarcube Corner and setting the building on fire in an attempt to kill them.
- Scootaloo crosses it during her attack on Ponyville. First, she drives Rainbow Dash to the point of exhaustion with a race she had little chance of winning, then leaves her unconscious for her troops to finish off. And while that's not too bad, it's followed by her capturing Pinkie Pie, locking her in the CMC clubhouse, and setting it on fire when the other heroes show up to save her, basically forcing them to watch her die. Fortunately, Dash saves her and their Elements evolve, allowing them to drive Scootaloo off.
- Trixie finally crosses it when she nearly kills Rarity during the Battle of Fillydelphia. What makes it worse is that at the time, Rarity was shielding Apple Bloom and Scootaloo from a collapsing building and had no chance at protecting herself.
- No Yay: Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor gets more shippy after Twilight succumbs to her darkness.
- Shocking Swerve: Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo's Face Heel Turns. Some of the last characters you'd expect it from.
- Squick: Queen!Twilight acting out her incestuous feelings towards Shining Armor.
- Tear Jerker: Queen!Twilight's reaction to Trixie's death.