YMMV: Good Night, and Good Luck.
- Acceptable Political Targets: Senator Joseph McCarthy has very few supporters today. There's a reason his name has become synonymous with opportunistic and/or paranoid Witch Hunts.
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: Fear does not defend nations; courage does. And Witch Hunts are fueled solely by the worst kind of fear.
Edward R. Murrow: We will not walk in fear, one of another.
- Witch-Hunter Has a Point:
- The Roosevelt-Truman administrations did have Communist sympathizers in them. However, that doesn't change the fact that few of McCarthy's claims were substantiated in the hearings. So more like "strawman's political maneuvering happened to align with reality."
- The point is that only one of the people McCarthy accused, Mary Jane Keeney, was actually anything close to guilty. Even then, McCarthy accused her of being a Communist party member, which distracted from the fact that she was actually a GRU spy and suggests that any attempts to claim that McCarthy "was right" suffer from the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy: a man shoots wildly into the side of a barn, draws a target around the bulletholes, and then says "look at my deadly aim!"