- Cliché Storm
- Complete Monster: Mickey Cohen is written as this. He is an utterly psychotic mobster whose brutality terrifies even other hardened mobsters. Cohen opens by throwing a group who are late in their protection money in their building, locking them inside and burning them with the building. He furiously executes an underling with a power drill due to the man failing him and when his girlfriend opts to leave him, Cohen sends one of his men to throw acid in her face.
- Genius Bonus: Mickey refers to Grace as Claude Rains when she starts to suddenly be gone for long periods of time, due to being with Wooters.
- Harsher in Hindsight: The scene in the trailer where gangsters fire upon people in a movie theater while emerging from the screen became this after the 2012 Aurora theater shooting. This even prompted a reshoot for the film and pushing its release date back several months.
- Narm: A few of Cohen's lines, most notably "Here comes Santa Claus!"
- Never Live It Down: The above incident likely doomed the movie, causing a very poor box office opening.
- Overshadowed By Controversy: Even with the reshot scenes, the film as whole was deemed to be so violent that it was still hard to forget the parallel with Aurora.