- Memetic Mutation: "There are no FF.N Mods" due to the fact that FF.N Mods are almost non-extant on the site, and there's no real way to contact a specific one directly, and even if you do, they rarely respond to what you're contacting them about. As a result, a lot of FF.N rules such as no Alternate Reality Games, MSTs, Lemon Fics, or having real life people appear in fanfics is rarely, if ever, enforced, and are still posted on a regular basis and often stay up for years even if they break one of the rules FF.N has in place.
- Scrappy Mechanic: The introduction of 4 character choices in filters. For the vast majority of fandoms the site is used solely for Shipping two characters together. Since the update this ability to add more characters has lead to an infuriating level of people who put all the main characters in a story as the 4 characters even if the story is just for shipping one of them. Example: Wanting to find Spencer/Aria stories for Pretty Little Liars, only to find that filtering for those two characters now also brings up dozens of stories that have Spencer, Aria, Hanna and Emily all included in the filters.
- On the other hand, this has now made seeking out pairings like the OT 3 a lot easier, now that one can filter out the fic that deals with just two thirds of the threesome.
- It is possible for writers to make pairings which are recognised by the filter. Whether enough people do it to avoid irritating the people who still hate the new feature, however ...
- The hatred is somewhat lessened by the introduction of the exclusion filters, which allow you to filter out stories with specific characters and/or genres that you don't want to read. It's especially helpful when trying to exclude a story with an OC (thanks to the newly created OC character added to all sections) in order to avoid a shameless Mary Sue Self-Insert Fic, or exclude a character you don't particularly like. Though sadly, the OC character is a recent feature, so many of those stories lack it, ensuring that a few always manage to avoid the filter.